Arent nihilism and depression the same thing?

Arent nihilism and depression the same thing?

Well yeah sort of. Those who are philosophically inclined or want to think themselves as such often explain their depression to themselves as something to do with objective meaninglessness of life, when really it's more about something being physically wrong in their brain. When you are not depressed, you do not give a fuck whether things you value are 'objectively' valuable or not.

No

No. Prooftext: I'm a nihilist and I'm not depressed.

I have been depressed although I've never been a nihilist.

how can you say you are not depressed if you think life has no meaning?
one seems like a fancy way of saying the other

>how can you say you are not depressed if you think life has no meaning?

Life has meaning, to us. There's no "inherent" or "objective" meaning but that doesn't mean it means nothing to me and to the people I know / love.

Nihilism is a reactionary metaphysical position, depression is a chronic set of emotions. You'd have to be stupid or uneducated to think they're the same thing.

congrats, you're not a nihilist

what's it like not having a coherent ideology?

i think ur an existentialist bro

You have no idea what you are talking about

Feels irrelevant. Also here's a spoiler for you: There are no coherent ideologies.

Existentialism is a form of nihilism. Saying that meaning is only subjective is a nihilistic position.

>Arent nihilism and depression the same thing?
You are thinking of Melancholia. An onset of depression say from being dumped by your girl friend is still a depression but not the same as someone at 30 going through an existential crisis.

no, it's not you dumbfuck. existentialism is a reaction to nihilism. at least read the sep entry or something

>Nihilism is the philosophical position which argues that Being, especially past and current human existence, is without objective meaning, purpose, comprehensible truth, or essential value. It asserts that there is no reasonable proof of the existence of a higher ruler or creator, that a "true morality" does not exist, and that objective secular ethics are impossible. Therefore life has, in a sense, no truth and no action is objectively preferable to any other.

This describes my position perfectly.

>Life has meaning, to us. There's no "inherent" or "objective" meaning but that doesn't mean it means nothing to me and to the people I know / love.

How does that contradict anything I posted?

Not him but you do not understand anything you are reading.

Nietzsche and many other existential nihilists do not pose you with this problem as an easy way out as you imply. It's about coping and beating with the facts.

Simply put, you're an edgy 'life has no meaning' idiot.

>Life has meaning, to us.

>is without objective meaning

if you're committed to nihilism, you're equally committed to the fact that attempting to create meaning (whether or not it's "subjective") is an equally meaningless activity, not
>but that doesn't mean it means nothing to me and to the people I know / love.

What? You're a bit thick, aren't you?

The concerns I have, the things I care about, the meaning I see in my life, none of this has any objective reality. So what? I don't find this concept remotely concerning, it's just a brute fact.

it's not about "objective reality", it's about meaning. that's what you're not getting.

It's fucking unbelievable how many times this image has come in handy.

Btfo

You're the one who's confused. You seem to think that because I don't think such a thing as "meaning" actually exists, I'm obligated to ignore my own intuitions about the things that mean something to me. I'm not, I'm just obligated to recognize them for what they are, purely a subjective phenomena.