Does life feel worth living if you aren't a millionaire and you genuinely don't believe you'll ever become one (in real...

Does life feel worth living if you aren't a millionaire and you genuinely don't believe you'll ever become one (in real terms)?

Does life just seem like some sort of gigantic lottery that you lost at birth; and can never hope to win?

That's what a lot of posters here seem to suggest. It seems a remarkably defeatist attitude to have; I don't understand it. There are plenty of opportunities out there even if you were unlucky and born average - but people seem so fundamentally opposed to the idea that they could, in fact, be successful that they do not even seriously try. It's a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Can someone explain to me why people feel this way? I can understand being disappointed that you have to work a bit harder than other people, and perhaps even feeling resentful that you don't have things quite as easy as some others do, but I cannot understand why people just seem to completely give up on their dreams and settle for being an accountant in a small town in Iowa or a schoolteacher in Oakland when they clearly desire more than that.

I don't understand why people are willing to accept the unacceptable when it isn't necessary or sensible.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hedonic_treadmill
content.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,2019628,00.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

This is a reaction to posts I see in this board very, very frequently.

I haven't even used /r9k/. Frankly, I think it would only make me feel sick.

I think people give up user.

The struggle is real.

Im poor as fuck and i honestly believe ill be rich someday soon.

It helps to lnow a few selfmade multimillionaires and gleen anything i can from them.

Not to mention they dont have this defeatest attitude because they are rich.

Currently im in the hunt for new friends. Everyone tmhas a mutlumillion dollar idea but none of these mutherfuckers will persue it.

Although i know know this is not the ideal patch i still continue to build and try to shill my prototypes while studying personal finance and real estate investing.

Instead of blaming everyone for my trucking company going down i leaned a lesson and pulled the plug to break even. I think i could have made it work but the stress became to great and i make the same at a dayjob woth nowehere near the headache. I spend my free minutes at work studying and planning my 3rd real estate deal.

Getting rich is a process. It doesnt have to be fun or exciting.

And any faggot flipping burgers has the same potential as a rich kid. What they lack in capitol and connections they make up for in drive and will to escede.

Do yourself a favor user. Gather up some personal finance books. I fuckig hate reading but when im down about money i read a few pages about someone successful and its like a self help book for u and your wallet.

For me at least

Good luck, user. I mean it sincerely.

thats loser talk, for real. I know I'll never be rich, but thats not my goal. My goal is to live a life worth living, and hopefully make something out of it. You dont need to be a millionaire to do that. If anything, being a millionaire would be worse. Oh good, you can have some fun. Enjoy it, because when you're gone, no one will remember you existed.

With hard work, you can make something worthwhile that exists after you die. Having been a millionaire doesnt mean jack shit, because the day you die, you're forgotten. If you make something worthwhile in life, your actions will have made some sort of difference, so even if no one remembers you, you'll have mattered

Given that pic related is true and that en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hedonic_treadmill is proven, changing your external conditions is actually the least effective way to go about achieving happiness beyond a certain level of basic necessities.

I can attest to this, I work a typical 9-5 corporate job making 38k a year, I was very negative for a long time but over the past 6 months I have actively tried to change my outlook. Mainly I put about 5 hours a week aside to work on things that actually interest me, but beyond that I focus on the love of my fiance, the love of my friends and the love of my family.

Maybe you can think I'm lying to myself, but I can honestly say I have thoroughly enjoyed the last 6 months of life, so much so than the 2 that came before

good for you bro

>I don't understand
Neither do I.
I was happy even before I had money. I didn't really obsess about it, it was just a nice possibility in the future.

Not really. A mix of bad parenting, bad choices, and bad luck have to do with my failure. If things could have been a bit better from those ends, I could be in a whole lot better situation.

Not really

I.don't need to be a millionaire.

About $80-100k/year suits me, and most people just fine. And that's completely attainable with some work.

I don't even know what you could spend so much on. Srsly without kids or a wife $100k goes such a far way, anything beyond that seems redundant. Where it's just like "Oh I made ANOTHER $50K this year? Great... add that to my huge portfolio I wont touch for years "

I didn't mention happiness anywhere in my post, and I'm not talking about being happy. I'm talking about people giving up on things they wanted to do, regardless of happiness.

I'm not saying that people are resigning themselves to being sad forever or anything like that; I'm just questioning why people give up on things that they one believed that they could achieve.

seriously 80k is really good money, i would be satisfied with 40k at this point

It's not a terrible income; but I wasn't talking about making $1m/year (though that isn't exactly a fortune these days) - I was talking about net worth.

who cares?

$80-100k per year is enough to cover nearly everyones needs and make you a millionaire quite soon

I'm telling you that I'm not disagreeing with you

I've given this concept deep thought and had many of conversation about it. The effect that money has on your personal and mental well being has significant diminishing returns. Honestly, even IF you DID decide that you wanted a wife and kids, 80k is more than enough to comfortably do whatever you want and never need for anything. What I've found is that's more useful to be resourceful with what you have, than having a lot of recourses. What is an extra million if you already have 100. What's an extra bathroom when you already have 7? It gets to a point where it goes beyond just doing well for yourself and those you care about and crosses over into a game. "How high can I get my score.?" "Lol, I just bought a third yacht." Not to say that anyone should set the bar low, just to point out that more does not necessarily mean better.

I'm like 50-50 on this.

I guess after you make a few million, whatever you did to make money just kind of becomes your hobby and a huge part of your life.

So I suppose it just grows to be a part of you. you don't really have anything else to do, you've got all the money you need, sure you can buy a few nicer things, go on a cool vacations but at the end of the day making money becomes your hobby

>you can buy a few nicer things, go on a cool vacations but at the end of the day making money becomes your hobby
pretty much this.

LOL typical leftist trash.

Nothing wrong with it though

It's just I've been looking at some rich people i know or have read about it or whatever and I've always wondered "WTF they have MILLIONS and they're still working their regular old job or on their business??!! what the fuck I'd be retired and doing 'fun shit' all day!"

Now i'm starting to realize why they do what they do. It just seems to become a hobby, and yeah they can buy nicer shit, nicer cars or a nicer but it's marginal returns and you're still a regular person just with a larger bank account and a large portfolio.

LOL typical /pol/ frequenting retard.

content.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,2019628,00.html

Couple different ways to look at it:

>Social Darwinism: Only the strongest survive
>Psychology: Look up "reinforcement" and "learned helplessness.
>Capitalism: Does not give a shit about people.

user why waste your time trying to understand the psychology of mentally inferior people?