Sales and Bread

Hey Veeky Forums, it's been almost a year since I hopped on here last.

I'm assuming there's been enough turnover that most people on the board don't know who I am/have forgotten about these threads.

I can't find the old archive, so I have no clue where all the old info is, but in short, I made about ten threads teaching anons to sell. I'm going to start again as I'm bored and want to share the wealth.

>On me: 24 year old college dropout. Was averaging around $12,000 a month last year selling timeshare. Currently only doing around $8,000 (We've had a drop in clientele).

Let's start with the basics:

I've missed you.
Never leave me again bby.

On mobile, so this will be a bit of a pain to type out.

If you can learn only one word to say and one question to ask, make it the client's name, and make that question "Why?".

People love to fucking talk about themselves; it's human nature. They like to feel important. Knowing somebody's name makes them feel special. People will pay much more attention if you can use their name. Don't do it incessantly, but be sure to pepper it into a conversation.

>Why why?
Why is the most important question you can ask because it lets you find out what will make this person buy.

Pretend you're selling furniture.

>Hi user, what can I help you with today?
I'm just looking

>Ah, nice. What were you looking for?
A couch, actually.

>We have a great selection. Why were you in the market for a new one? New house?
I wish. Our dog ruined the last one.

>Oooooh. Mine is rough on the furniture too. What kind do you have?
Two actually. A fuckstick and a whatever.

>Fucksticks are such nice breeds. My friend has one. So why just the new couch?
To be honest, budget, and it's the most beat up.

>Gotcha, so we need to make it match the old furniture, right?
Yeah. That would be nice.

Going to stop it right here and explain in the next post a few things that happened in that made up exchange.

>Going to stop it right here and explain in the next post a few things that happened in that made up exchange.

>Hi user, what can I help you with today?
The salesman asks what he can help user with. He doesn't ask if user needs help. It's impossible to give a one word answer to this that is dismissive to the salesman. This is called assumptive language, and it's a huge part of salesmanship. You're always assuming they want to buy what you have. Always. I'll talk more about this later.

>I'm just looking
>Ah, nice. What were you looking for?
user tries to get rid of the salesman, but rather than recognize it for the courteous dismissal that it is, he pretends it's just a conversation. This can go on for a bit, but the salesman needs to take control early on. He's going to dictate this conversation, and he's going to lead user to a purchase.

>We have a great selection. Why were you in the market for a new one? New house?
Our salesman hypes the product very briefly, then leads the conversation with a question. In order to make it less like an interrogation (as the exchange is probably a little awkward here), he profers a guess as to why user is buying a couch.

>I wish. Our dog ruined the last one.
Our salesman knows two things now. user has a dog, and user actually needs a couch.

>Oooooh. Mine is rough on the furniture too. What kind do you have?
>Two actually. A fuckstick and a whatever.
The salesman doesn't have a dog. He's establishing common ground. People like people that are like them. You want to build rapport as early as possible. He follows this up with a compliment to user's choice of breed. People want to feel good about themselves; the quickest way to do this is paying them a compliment.

>So why just the new couch?
>To be honest, budget, and it's the most beat up.
Furniture is usually bought in sets. Why does user just want a couch? Our salesman now sounds interested, knows he has to work inside of a budget, and has some common ground.

Pretty sure I saw this thread less than a year ago.

Its pretty easy to sell in person since they are already interested. Can you tell me how to sell investment funds via the phone when a customer calls for tech help?

Cont.

80% of the sale is done by this point.

>Gotcha, so we need to make it match the old furniture, right?
>Yeah. That would be nice
The salesman asks a question about what user would be looking at, and begins closing. The salesman said "we" instead of "you," and although it's incredibly subtle, has shifted the tone of the sale. He's in user's side now. user has started saying yes, and he's going to continue saying it. If the salesman is any good, every question from here on out will be answered with a yes or be a choice close. He's also left the door open to an upsell. If he can find a couch that user really likes, and give him a deal on the other pieces of the set, he may get a bigger deal.

If you can't get someone to say "No" at least once, you haven't sold shit. You've simply taken orders from a customer about what they'd like. Sales is convincing someone to do or buy something they normally wouldn't in order to better their lives. Often against their will.

Let's get back to assumptive language. It's exactly what it sounds like: assuming everything. Continued in next post.

Good thread, watching

>Pretty sure I saw this thread less than a year ago.
Probably. I think the last time I did something like this was in November.

>Its pretty easy to sell in person since they are already interested.
You'd be surprised

>Can you tell me how to sell investment funds via the phone when a customer calls for tech help?
I need a bit more background on what you're doing, as this seems a bit weird. But I can help you make a pitch.

Assumptive language is very simple and incredibly important. You're assuming the sale. You should always assume that they want to buy what you're selling. It prevents them from allowing doubt to creep in.

Let's look at the weakest close ever:
>So what do you think/Would you like to buy?
You're asking them to take the lead at that point. It's poor salesmanship. Assumptive language would look something like this:

>The down payment is $3,000. What card would you like to put that on?
They have to articulate an actual objection here. They can't simply say no. And if they were thinking about it, they may simply say a card out of habit of answering you. You'd respond by asking to see it and congratulating them once it's in your hand. The pressure will be relieved, and they'll associate that pleasant feeling with their purchase. They now have to talk themselves out of a decision they've been rationalizing for the past hour or so. It won't happen.

An example earlier in the sale; let's say I'm selling Ford cars:

If I didn't see them drive in (Or they didn't see me see them):
>So which model Ford do you have right now?
I assume they have one already and want another. They in turn are going to assume that most people who have one buy another/everyone should have one.

If they saw me see them:
>So who convinced you Ford was the way to go?
I'm assuming someone they know owns one and raves about it. (This is a concept called social proof)

Assumptive language is closely tied to something called tie downs. Tie downs are small "yesses" that get you to a deal.

Getting a client to say yes early on is important. You want them doing it early and often because it's hard to say yes to someone for over an hour, then turn around and tell them no. It's just human conditioning.

There's an example of a tie down earlier in the thread with the furniture. The salesman asks an obvious question (It needs to match the existing furniture) then follows it with "right." The natural response is a yes. This is a simple tie down. He now can't reneg and say that he's not sure about a couch because it may not be right. The salesman will make sure it matches.

Imagine a sales process as a long hallway. On either side of this hallway there are open doors. Typically 5 or 6. There's a door dead ahead at the end of the hallway. That door is the one you need your client to go through. That's your deal. Tie downs allow you to close the other 5 or 6 doors.

>So you'd need this widget to do X, right?
Yes

>And your current widget costs Y to maintain, right?
Yes

>And if it my widget was less than Y but did X twice as well, that'd be a benefit to you, correct?
Yeah

>Why would it?
Because I'd save money and do X better

>So it'd be a no brainer, wouldn't it?
Yeah

That last one will let you call someone an idiot if they tell you no later.

>But... I'm confused. You said this would be a no brainer. Why aren't you moving forward?

Background is working at a bank, they dont always call in with technical questions but we are supposed to try to sell saving funds to all customers.

Lets say a customer has problems with their log in. How do you sell from that part? Im pretty succesful with

>"I see you dont have an active savings plan yet, why is that"?
>"I dont know have not really tought about that"
>"Then we should defenatly check out some of our options that would suit you the best, its always good to have money saved up in case of an emergency or just to have enough money to take a trip to the bahamas next summer etc."

But would obviosly like to get better. You have some pretty good ideas tho how could i improve the interaction?

Most answers are idk or its risky or something along those lines to the first question

>You have some pretty good ideas tho how could i improve the interaction?
Learn more about the product. What's the interest rate on the account? Does it have automatic transfer to checking (overdraft protection)? What can it do for me?

>Most answers are idk or its risky or something along those lines to the first question
"I don't know" just means they haven't been given enough info to make a decision, or are too polite to say no. "It's too risky" is bullshit and should be called out as such.

My pitch would involve something along the lines that 73% of Americans live paycheck to paycheck and couldn't afford an emergency that kept them out of work for 30 days. People love statistics. I'd then ask if they think that's an intelligent way to manage money. When they invariably say it's not, say something along the lines of...

>Exactly. Now I know that you're not the type to manage money poorly, which is exactly why you're in such good standing with *Your bank's name*. That's why we're extending the opportunity to start an account for as little as $50 transferred from your checking. Would you like us to start with the $50 or a little more? You can always add more later.
Cooking dinner right now. Will answer replies to the thread/questions they cover emotive words/phrases after I eat.

Yay, Foxbro!

What is a good job progression in sales? Like where do I start, then where do I go next, etc. etc.? Is working for a cellphone carrier a good place to start?

what are you eating?

Wow, excellent... someone asked about you a few days ago, and intrigued I found all your archived threads. Welcome back!!

>Our salesman knows two things now. user has a dog, and user actually needs a couch.

Clever!

>He follows this up with a compliment to user's choice of breed.
Because flattery will get you anywhere, right?
now he's a point, how do you make it sound sincere?
So many times I'll walk into a retail store and when the salesperson starts a conversation I just feel like a mark, I feel like they can just see the dollar signs, and every word out of their mouth makes me just think "Leave me alone you disingenous fuck!"
And other times, I really feel like the person can't be fucked selling and is just happy to have a chat, shoot the breeze.

What are the first lot doing wrong, and the second lot doing right?
I'm assuming that the second is just better at selling.

>What is a good job progression in sales? Like where do I start, then where do I go next, etc. etc.? Is working for a cellphone carrier a good place to start?
The typical progression is from rep, to manager, to a director or multiple team manager, then it depends greatly on corporate structure. Typically, if you're an amazing rep, going to management is a paycut in return for stability. At least until you hit higher management levels.

>what are you eating?
I made buffalo chicken in the Crock-Pot, shredded it, then baked it into some macaroni and cheese.

>someone asked about you a few days ago, and intrigued I found all your archived threads
I'm touched. Could you post a link to the archived threads? I used to include it in my first post, but can't find it. After the old archive went down, I didn't look too hard.

>how do you make it sound sincere?
Practice and a genuine interest in other people. I've gotten to a point where I do actually find these people interesting, but a lot of it is just knowing how to talk to and greet someone.

>What are the first lot doing wrong, and the second lot doing right?
The first lot were told to find things out about the customer to get a sale. They know they need to ask questions, but don't know how to do it. It sounds like an interrogation because they're just rattling questions off at you. The second lot is striking up a conversation, but controlling where it goes. That's salesmanship.

Sorry I disappeared, all. Girlfriend came over unexpectedly. Will continue updating when I've got some downtime at work.

Here's all I can find for archives. Pretty sure there might be a few more on warosu if you search your trip name
warosu.org/biz/thread/S825328

4archive.org/board/biz/thread/967151

Geez so many questions, you seem like you really know your stuff.

I'm trying to do freelancing (video mostly) and most of my work comes from word of mouth, someone comes to me and says "I need a video that does X, and is Y long, and I'm going to use it for Z". Those are the gigs that end up with me getting a pay cheque.

Other times someone will come to me with the vague idea for a video, ask how much it will cost and then they'll never follow it up. They aren't going to someone else (because they can't get cheaper, and if they want it done well they're screwed at any lower price) they just give up on the idea.

How can I fix that? I'm talking about customers who want a video, roughly know what they want but obviously lack the will to pursue it. Is it my job to convince them that a video is what they need, that it's worth the money? Or is it not worth bothering because they aren't sold on it themselves?

Bump for potentially interesting thread and visibility.

>4archive.org/board/biz/thread/967151

Thank you

>How can I fix that? I'm talking about customers who want a video, roughly know what they want but obviously lack the will to pursue it. Is it my job to convince them that a video is what they need, that it's worth the money?
You're goddamn right it is. What you need to do is figured out why they want that video in the first place. Asking why repeatedly is called second level questioning. It gets you to the root of the purchase.

>I need a video
Fantastic. Who recommended us?

>Nobody
Really? Would you like a few references before we talk more? (This builds your credibility and only 1/10 people will actually say yes)

>That's fine. I was actually curious as to whether or not you could do a video for...
Definitely. But if you don't mind my asking, why would you like it? What are you hoping to accomplish?

Find out what they're hoping this video will do for them, prove you can do it, then use that to close them on it.

>Or is it not worth bothering because they aren't sold on it themselves?
They're not sold. It's your job to sell them. This is where you are going to double your income.

>Protip
I worked with a photographer. He handled weddings mostly. He was doing poorly until he went to a seminar. His shots were great, his product fantastic, and he was a total professional. The only change the seminar presenter told him to make was his pricing. Double it out increase it by 50% every year. His sales skyrocketed. If people don't have a frame of reference for something, they use price as an indicator of quality. If you're dealing with people that don't frequently purchase this sort of service, you may not want to simply undercut the competition. Being the cheapest guy with the best product isn't always the most prudent move. Homo economis doesn't exist.

>Bump for potentially interesting thread and visibility.
Thanks for the bump.

I mentioned that I'd cover emotive words and phrases next. People find these to be really interesting, and it will actually explain a lot about why salespeople speak the way they do.

>What's an emotive word?
Simply a word that evokes feeling.

>Why do you use it?
Sales, no matter what you're selling, is an emotional process. People buy for emotion and keep a product for logic. (Before some autist bursts in telling me how above this they are, good for you. Logic alone can sell deals. Emotion is always necessary, though. I've sold fucking timeshare to dozens of engineers.) These words help you to put someone in an emotional state of mind, and keep you from sounding too pushy.

If you noticed further up thread, I used the phrase "moving forward" in a vignette as opposed to "purchasing." Purchasing is a dirty word. It's scary. Moving forward sounds innocuous, almost positive. Forward is progress. Progress is good. Goebbels was a fantastic salesman.

For example, you never tell someone anything. You share it with them; it's more personal. Sharing opens a dialogue. A conversation is where you sell.

>Let me tell you something. This TV has an LCD display.
Okay.

That's about all you can hope for.

>I need to share something with you; this TV has an LCD display.
Why is that important?

It doesn't work that way every time, but sales is a numbers game. If I go from selling 2/10 to 3/10, I get a 200% increase in pay. That's just the way my structure works. Every little bit helps a salesman, though.

Here's some more emotive phrases and their normal counterparts:

>I think that...
I feel that... (You can think wrong. You can't feel wrong)

>Tell

>Purchasing, buying, etc.
Moving forward

>Spending
Investing (If you're switching services, they're spending right now; they'll be investing with your product.)

>Naming a feature of any sort
This product has X; the benefit to you is...

Ran out of space, but hopefully you get the idea.

If anyone is lurking, there are two routes I can take from here. Building value for your product, or the psychology behind sales. Both are pretty invaluable, but the order they're covered in doesn't matter much.

Any questions would be great, too. Bored at work until 12:45.

I check back every couple days hoping to see that fox.

how do I use sales to get grills

That makes me feel all toasty. Been busy with a multitude of things, but life is settling down again, so I should be on more often.

Referencing your answer on job progression, etc..
Youngfag here, if I dual degree in Business Administration; Management Option and Communication, would I still be receiving a noticeably large paycut going from sales to management? Eventually, I'd like to be in a high management position at a company, and I'd like to get a masters in Business Administration. Does that sound like a reasonable plan/will it be rewarding? Assume I am a young white, bilingual male that has recieved a seal that confirms I'm bilingual on my high school diploma, and will have no issues with paying for college.

>how do I use sales to get grills
Psychology of the sale it is.(Nice quads btw)

Let me preface the next couple posts with this. The best way to get grills is by being a well-rounded and interesting person with various hobbies, interests, and a strong sense of self worth. Read books, lift weights, dress well, and care about your grooming. These aren't magic spells; they'll just make you a good bit more appealing and teach you to not blow it if she shows some interest.

>if I dual degree in Business Administration; Management Option and Communication, would I still be receiving a noticeably large paycut going from sales to management?
Depends on the sales role and company. My business is very sales centric. The best rep I know makes around $350,000 a year. Her manager makes around $150,000-180,000. The director of sales makes between $250,000 and $300,000. The VP makes around $450,000.

You sound like you'll do fine regardless. You're well spoken. If you're bilingual in Spanish, sandbag that a bit. I have to deal with Spanish clients all the time now that they know I speak it (Like a ten year old) and it's a very different sort of sale.

A lot to take in here. but will try to internalize it's lessons. Thanks!
Totally get ya here. I love playing with language. The subtle associations and implications that a well chosen word can offer, the context it can produce that another won't.

But basically it's make it sound less "transactional" and "bussinessy"?

Now I'm just going to ruminate on that thing about the photographer and his prices.
Impressions count. And I need to figure out a price point where the customers I lose will be offset by the customers who will be willing to fork out.

Onto the psychology. People buy things for two reasons: fear of loss and hope to gain. If you don't have either of those, you don't have a sale. The reason that someone is hopeful or fearful is called a dominant buying motive.

Hope to gain is what most people understand when they think of sales. There's plenty of obvious things to gain:
Status
Experiences
Money
Time
Quality
A solution to a problem

Fear is what makes a great salesperson. Fear is strong. Fear makes people do things they normally wouldn't/couldn't. I can guarantee that I'd run 100 yards faster with a lion behind me than $100,000 in front of me. We feel that we work hard and earn everything we have; that's why losing it sucks so bad. That's why fear of loss is so strong.

Convince a man that a product will bring him and his wife closer together and he may buy it. Convince him that his wife will leave him if he doesn't buy it and you have a sale.

Some common loss motivators:
Family
Security
Safety
Missing out (Useful for grills)
Losing money
Missing a deal (Useful for getting the sale today)

>Sales is convincing someone to do or buy something they normally wouldn't in order to better your life.
Fixed that for you, user. We all love this advice but let's not bullshit each other here.

Now in order to engender all these feelings in someone, you'll need to get them to listen to you. In order to do that, you need to be someone that they like.

People are very simple. I said it earlier. People like people that are like them. This is why finding common ground is important even if you have to make that common ground up. Sports teams, languages, areas they're from, kids, TV... all this shit works.

Something a lot of people aren't aware of, though, is their speech. Subconsciously, people like those that speak like them. This doesn't mean mimicking a heavy southern drawl. But matching their cadence, volume, tone, and some common idioms goes a long way. As long as it's not overt, this makes people more inclined to have a favorable opinion of you.

Body language is a bit too subtle to explain via post, but a good rule is to never point your shoulders/chest at each other. It's confrontational. And you should never be more relaxed than when talking about money. When building value, gaining rapport, or anything else; get as close as you want. When it comes to money, you're relaxed, your hands are visible, and you're leaning back from them. Money is no big deal; don't make them feel like it is.

>Fixed that for you, user. We all love this advice but let's not bullshit each other here.
They're not mutually exclusive. I sometimes tell clients that I get a commission, and they're genuinely happy. I thought I was just fucking people for a long time, but you see them a year later and they're thanking you for pushing them.

Everyone will cry that they're broke. These same people almost invariably drive off in a new car after I walk them out of the office. Buyers are liars. The sooner you learn that in sales, the better.

I'm going to cover takeaways and some odds and ends next. Just going to check on work before I type it all out. If the user with quads that likes grills is still lurking, I'll show you how to parse this all together into getting a grill at a bar.

Got tied up at work. Bumping so thread doesn't die.

I've been checking every few days or so for the fox, missed your threads, any new stories to share?

>i read How to Win Friends and Influence People

Saw a thread about you couple of days ago. Very informative!

>Sales and Bread guy is back
Holy shit I missed you so much

Teach us everything about selling stuff to retards (and non-retards) please

>The typical progression is from rep, to manager, to a director or multiple team manager, then it depends greatly on corporate structure. Typically, if you're an amazing rep, going to management is a paycut in return for stability. At least until you hit higher management levels.

Thanks for your reply, but what I actually meant by job progression was mostly like ideas for places to apply to rather for a salesman position than the exact title of the job position. Like how to get started, where would be a good first place to apply that isn't door to door sales, then what to sell next, etc.

Thanks! Just replying to bump the thread. Very informative.

Don't know if you remember but I'm the guy who worked for university fundraising office. Supervisor there now and raised about $120k last year so thanks for the help.

I use the "a gift of $20, really just a case of beer for (our school) and all the memories you have here" if the dudes like younger

How can I use sales tactics and psychology for online information products?

Hi bro! How is life treating you?

I was the Server tha asked you about selling certain types of dishes better. I kept in mind your words and with ongoing study on my field was able to get promoted to management.
Now in about a week I will get the opportunity to lead a restaurant as a general manager.
What I have seen is that you never stop selling, the only things that change are your customers. In my position I have to sell a productive and and profitable restaurant to my superiors.
Thanks a lot again for all of your advice.

>Fucksticks are such nice breeds

lulz were had

I'm around. Juggling a social life, work, and shitposting is hard. At the pool with my grill now. Will post this evening, continue the info, and reply to all.

Just keeping it alive.

take your time man, we are willing to wait.

>any new stories to share?
A few. I'll post some later.

I did about 18 months ago. Good read. Nice trips btw.

>Saw a thread about you couple of days ago. Very informative!
Thanks, user

>ideas for places to apply to rather for a salesman position than the exact title of the job position. Like how to get started, where would be a good first place to apply that isn't door to door sales, then what to sell next, etc.
This depends heavily on where you live. If you want to get involved with timeshare, just look. There's resorts everywhere that are always hiring. Timeshare reps are known throughout sales circles as being incredibly good if they survived a few years; we just typically come with baggage (criminal records).

That's awesome. Definitely remember that. You used to go to functions to chat up larger donors, no?

>How can I use sales tactics and psychology for online information products?
What are you selling exactly and how?

Neat. I'm glad to hear it helped you, man. That's awesome.

Dual degree kiddo from earlier.

What kind of products would be good to get a sales job in? I was thinking about medical equipment but I don't know anything about stuff like that. Any other ideas?

>I'm going to cover takeaways and some odds and ends next
Takeaways are important because they introduce the concept of scarcity. Humans are programmed to want things if they are in short supply, and it can be demonstrated other people want said thing as well. This is why you'll always hear about limited time offers (They're taking away your opportunity to get that deal) and see "Number sold" in the bottom corner of QVC infomercials.

The best salesmen make someone want something, then make it unaffordable, then make it affordable. The client should feel as though they got the deal of a lifetime.

In order to do this, you need to make the first number you give a high one and make it real. I have two stories about this principle. One that demonstrates the power behind a takeaway, and one that shows how showing a high price before a lower one is beneficial to your sales strategy (Price anchoring if you care to Google it.).

Cont.

Nice thread salesanon. Bumping for interest

Why a takeaway is important:

>You go to buy furniture
>The store just had its big sale
>You want to grab something left over for cheap

Here's where a salesman that doesn't know how to take it away comes up.

>"Hey, buddy. The sale ended yesterday, but if you want to get that sale price, I can probably help you out. Let me know if you need anything."

He offered you the discount without you asking for it at all. There nothing special about it. The high price was never real.

Let's rewind to you walking into the store. Salesman B comes up; let's call him Closer.

>"Hey, buddy. Pickup is around back. Where's your slip?"
I'm actually here to look for some furniture/a deal

>"What the hell are you doing? Sale ended yesterday. That was when you were supposed to buy. Yellow tags aren't valid anymore. Let me know if you'd like help with anything. I may be able to mark down the MSRP a bit."

You're going to end up asking for the sale price. The thing that people were literally haggling down from just a day earlier. You'll feel like you got a deal just by getting the sale price. With Salesman A, you're going in there already trying to work down from the sale price.

The biggest problem new sales reps have with the takeaway is that they make it weak. You can't be afraid to lose the deal. By that, I mean you didn't have a deal before you told someone they couldn't have something; don't be afraid to see them walk out the door. If they do, you just didn't build that value high enough. Never be afraid to tell a client they can't have/do something (especially if they actually can). They'll only want it more if they really believe they can't. I've made people fight to be allowed to put money down. Do not give anything away. They should feel like they've earned every benefit or special deal they've gotten.

Cont.

Price anchoring.

You're going clothes shopping. You need a brand new suit. You want it to be damn impressive. A salesperson shows you a nice $25 shirt. You like it, and buy it. The odds that you'll then buy a $700 jacket and pants are slim to none. If he shows you a $700 jacket, sells you on it, then suggests a $100 shirt, it seems downright reasonable. You may even buy that $300 vest. You shift someone into a different mindset by using different ballparks of numbers. The first number I show every single client is somewhere around $72,000. They feel like they got the deal of their fucking life when they walk out for $25,000. In reality, I can do most things for around $19,000.

Story:
>There are two old, Italian brothers that own a suiting shop
>One works in the back with inventory and also runs the cash register, but he's tied up stocking things
>It's clear that the one fitting you for your pants is hard of hearing. You've had to repeat everything twice
>"So do you like the pants, user?"
>"I do. How much?"
>In your mind, they may be worth around $200
>"I'm not sure. Let me ask Franco. HEY FRANCO, HOW MUCH FOR THE BLUE FAGINIS?"
>A shout comes from the back
>"THIRTEEN HUNDRED"
>Your heart sinks. Fuck that
>"Okay, he says they're $300. Would you like to take them home?"
>Ecstatic, you buy the pants for $100 more than you normally would have
>Franco comes out and high fives Giuseppe

This is actually a true story. Can't remember the name of the shop, but two brothers ran this exact pitch for years. People thought they were getting the biggest bargain ever. Nobody has to hem and haw over saving $1,000.

>He's in user's side now.

l-lewd

Cialdini really is your favorite, huh?

>What are you selling exactly and how?
I want to sell a program to get older guys libido back, it's designed with doctors and they can access it on my membership side

>Cialdini really is your favorite, huh?
Absolutely. I've seen that work so well you wouldn't believe it.

I start my value presentation, get them to bite just a bit, and then take it right the fuck away by rolling out $72,000. The game changes right after that to me trying desperately to work to get that number down for them any way I can. "We" will figure out every complaint they've ever had with the company, give them back the interest paid on their last loan, all their equity, and fight to allow them to do this with a smaller purchase. Value is built in ten minutes for my pitch. The rest is the show. I can't count the number of times where I've gotten a credit card, initialed the proposal, and sent it in to see if "we can get it approved" while they ecstatically Cris their fingers. They'll then turn around and ask me to explain why we're doing this again. Sales is almost all psychology and pageantry.

>I want to sell a program to get older guys libido back
Why would they want it back? Humor me.

>It's designed with doctors and they can access it on my membership side
The doctors or the guys with limp dicks?

>What kind of products would be good to get a sales job in?
Anything that you feel you can confidently extol the virtues of. Preferably something with high margins, though.

>I was thinking about medical equipment but I don't know anything about stuff like that. Any other ideas?
Medical equipment is great. Talked to a guy that sold it. Black and white monitors, actually. Get some experience in hospitals first. With medical sales, since interning or medical courses in college can't hurt. Honestly, sales will not be learned in school. It's a real world thing. It can only be perfected through experience. Everyone is a little different.

Where the fuck were you when I started selling shit door to door? God damn I had so many questions I wanted to ask you ;_;

Keep up the good work, you're probably the best thing to happen to this fucking board.

I work at a financial services firm. My number one goal is to get our clients to meet with our advisors for a financial review, which we offer complimentary to our clients (although really to anyone that has assets outside), as a large majority of the high net worth clients end up with a large majority of their assets outside of our firm. This allows us to find areas of opportunity (generally with financial planning, but that encompasses both Lending and wealth management) for us to help them and hopefully earn business.

I've had decent success, but I know there's room for improvement, how would you handle pitching something like this to a client who generally comes in for an unrelated service reason? I usually try to uncover assets beforehand to qualify, then ask about the last review they had with their advisor (mostly never, or the don't know) then I target pain points..

> Well listen, many of our clients have found value in getting a secondary opinion on their financial situation. Through this, we've found that many clients weren't fully aware of the level of risk that they're exposed to, or the level of service they're getting for what they're spending. I'd love to sit down with you to give you a secondary opinion on your current financial plan and address any areas of concern, or simply point out anything we would do differently. Is this something that you'd be interested in? When would be a good time to move forward with this?

Any tips?

Honestly, I'd like to thank you for posting this information because I whole hardly believe it. For instance you claimed you'd run faster with a lion behind you then 100k in front of you. Fear sells and I have a story for it

Cont

>>Hi user, what can I help you with today?
>"No"
>A-Alright then...

Cont.

My father pays for a loan every month that he was supposed to pay off this year. My mother takes the money to the bank and pays the loan. I leave to California for 6 months and in that span everything seems peachy. Until last month that my father was delivered a court date for bankruptcy (it was somewhat what true and I'll get to that)
When I had left my mother stopped paying the loan which the money was never recovered and my father received the papers in may and every day I reminded him that we had to call and confirm the court day. At first he couldn't do it because he works from 2am to 2pm every day and would come home exhausted. About two weeks before the court date I sat with him and told him, "look we need to call and confirm or else the bank will take the house you worked hard to own" that same day we called and confirmed. Mind you we're Hispanic and he really doesn't understand the system. We went to court and found out the missing money amd paid it in full. Now if i hadent baited him into thinking we would lose the house we never would have made the call thus actually lossing the house.

with older guys I mean 35+
And even young men have problems with erectyle disfunction
Why the hell wouldn't you want your libido back

the guys with limp dicks can access the membership site if they pay.

>Where the fuck were you when I started selling shit door to door?
Still doing it?

>I usually try to uncover assets beforehand to qualify, then ask about the last review they had with their advisor (mostly never, or the don't know)
Make sure that you're doing this in a very non threatening, and nonchalant manner. If they say they've never met with one, they're probably being honest. If they say they don't know, I'd bet money that they're lying.

>I'd love to sit down with you to give you a secondary opinion on your current financial plan and address any areas of concern, or simply point out anything we would do differently. Is this something that you'd be interested in? When would be a good time to move forward with this?
You were fairly good up until here. There are two things that jump out at me as needing a different approach. The first is you saying you'd love to sit down with them. Never say "I" when trying to pitch a benefit. No matter what your intention, you come across as caring about yourself more. "I feel" is okay. "I'd like to share" is good. Never, "I'd love to sit down and talk to you.

>Mr. Moneydick, I feel like you'd really benefit from sitting down with myself or one of our other advisors, and here's why...

This would be a great time for a third party story. A third party story is exactly what it sounds like. You tell the client a story about someone you've helped in the past. Add just enough details to make it real (Nice couple from Whateverville, three kids, a grandson on the way), and explain how they were in a similar situation, had the same doubts that your client does, and ended up ecstatic.

Third party stories are a great way to kill objections before they ever come up. If you manage to broach a subject that they're going to use to contest you first, explain how it's immaterial, and demonstrate that it's exactly why the client should move forward; they won't bring it up as an objection because they'll feel stupid.

Cont.

Next thing is your close. "Is this something you'd be interested in" needs to be completely erased from your vocabulary. Of fucking course they're interested. Why wouldn't they be?

What I'm going to suggest sounds rude, so you'll need to practice it at home to make it sound natural and not aggressive, but you're going to tell them when you're free. If they're going to object to something, let it be the time you've suggested, not the meeting itself.

>So obviously there's some things we can cover, and I'm really confident that we can help you out here. I'm free Thursday around 11, that work for you, or is there another time you'd prefer meeting?

They may not want to do the meeting, but sales is about compromise. If I leave them the choice between meeting or not meeting, for them to win, they choose not to come. If I give them my time, their time, or not coming; the compromise lies in the middle. You've given them an easy out to reassume control, but it still ends up giving you your desired result.

It's a powerful motivator.

>Why the hell wouldn't you want your libido back?
I can literally sell you on the idea of chemical castration. Tell me why I need my libido.

>the guys with limp dicks can access the membership site if they pay.
Okay. I get what you're driving at from a business model perspective.

>Oh, sorry. Who are you here to see?
What?

>Are you picking up?
No

>Oh, my bad. So you haven't picked anything out yet?
No

>Great. So what were you looking for today?

I'm not yielding control of my sales floor to some dickhead. I'm going to be nice about it, but make no mistake, this is my house and he'll treat it as such. Nobody goes into a brick and mortar retailer with the intent of being hostile towards salespeople. You can typically defuse someone that doesn't want to talk and make them come around. People that are dicks to salespeople are typically just scared because they know they're easy to sell.

you need your libido so your wife will not cheat on you and leave you for tyrone
you need your libido so you fullfill your dream of becoming a child that is yours

>you need your libido so your wife will not cheat on you and leave you for tyrone
So bringing my libido back will keep my wife happy? If I don't have a libido, my wife may leave me?

That's what needs to go in your ads. Something that appeals to that fear.

>you need your libido so you fullfill your dream of becoming a child that is yours
I don't think this is going to be a very strong play on your part. Associating children and libido, however tangentially, isn't a good move.

alright thanks

>Still doing it?
Nope, I technically got laid off a cuple weeks ago but I guess I'm still on payroll.

It took the entire summer for the multi millionaire hotshot owner that paying 6 college students 10/hr plus commission to sell window cleaning wasn't exactly working out kek

Great thread, man! Solid advice you're doing good work. Any tips on vocabulary, body language etc. when trying to sell yourself at say a job interview or loan application? If you've got any I would really appreciate it.

What's a good entry level sales job to build a resume with? I have no sales experience.

>Any tips on vocabulary, body language etc. when trying to sell yourself at say a job interview or loan application? If you've got any I would really appreciate it.
For job interviews, perceived value is a big thing. Once again, don't point shoulders at them, be a bit assertive, and lead the conversation. When it comes to salary negotiation, don't be afraid to ask for more than the going rate. As long as your résumé is solid and you act like that's what you deserve, it'll make them think you're a valuable pick up.

>What's a good entry level sales job to build a resume with? I have no sales experience.
Any sales job that you can later prove you were good at. My trainer's (sales trainer) girlfriend left the company and went to pursue other work. She interviewed with ARP. The interviewer asked what she did prior. He dismissively asked her how long. After she said five years, she got hired on the spot. Surviving for a long time in sales is impressive. If you don't have time in it, you better be able to prove it with numbers. They're hiring you based on skill at this point, not what you sold or who you worked for.

Thank god for this thread, been reading everything on the way home.

I have a big question for you. I really suck at talking to people in general, my voice gets low, and I feel like there's an "invisible wall" while talking to anyone and things get awkward fast. How do I improve? Any specific books/videos you recommend?

So like solar panels, used cars, call centers, or what. If you didn't have anything where would you start looking?

>This depends heavily on where you live.
Canada, so basically you can assume "United States". Montreal, to be more specific.

I'm also in sales (pharma) and my two cents is that doing something in B2B (i.e. selling photo copiers) rather than B2C (i.e. retail at Macy's) opens up doors faster to the "big boy" sales jobs (high salary/commission)

>I'm going to cover takeaways and some odds and ends next. Just going to check on work before I type it all out. If the user with quads that likes grills is still lurking, I'll show you how to parse this all together into getting a grill at a bar.

Not the quadanon but hella interested nonetheless.

Did you start in B2B? Is this even "realistically" possible?

Sure. Lots of companies have a "management training program" which is essentially a crash course in sales for your typical recent graduate. They'll work you to death for nearly no pay but if experience is what you desire they are great. Off the top of my head Enterprise Rent-A-Car, ADP, and Xerox have well know programs which hold pretty good weight on a resume.

>typical recent graduate

Might sound like a retarded question, but what kind of a graduate? You mean academic credentials, or something else? I thought that sales jobs don't really care about academia, hence the question.

College/university. For sales jobs which are very sought after (software, medical, engineering, etc) most companies are going to want to see some sort of higher education. Doesn't matter what area/emphasis, its pretty much just a box they check. The next thing they look at is experience in "complex selling situations" and your brag book. In these fields, starting reps (0-2 years exp) usually make somewhere between 60-100k and I've seen those with 10-20 years of experience pulling in 250-320k+

Xerox program has taken a shit. I took it back in 2009.

Nice part? Agencies will higher anybody because they pay full commission, no salary generally.

Personally I have worked for Xerox, Canon, Konica Minolta, Samsung and now Ricoh. I have sold postage machines, IT services, Phone systems, security systems. Hell even did website services and marketing for a while.

Getting into a B2B sales company isn't difficult if you hustle and read a bit. But it is still a very difficult hustle in the beginning.

Most "entry level" B2B jobs pay around 50k. Yes, you CAN make 60K+ working you ass off, but if you have a shit book of business and the prices are too high (dealers/agencies will always charge more than manufacturer) you quickly get priced out. Then you need to cut your throat to make the sale. But because you slashed profits, you now need more sales to compensate. It becomes this vicious cycle.

What do DMs make at Ricoh? I have an acquaintance that joined right out of college as a rep and just got to DM.

No clue about Ricoh. I know a "normal" account rep makes about 55K salary, benefits, car allowances ect.

At Konica Minolta the Branch Managers made 96-128K depending on experience. Sales Managers made 80-110K experience pending. I currently work at a Ricoh dealership as a junior rep. Canada recession fucked me right up, starting from the bottom again.

Video user here again. Got two, possibly related questions here

Firstly, like I get a lot of my business freelancing from word of mouth. Sometimes I'll be at a party when a potential customer, usually a friend of a friend inquires on behalf of their band, or their employer, their start up fashion label etc... When I've used, pretty much what you told me in the other post "great, who recommended me?", once I know what they want a video for I zero in on how it's a investment for them and how it satisfies their needs and what benefits it has...
Once I see their biting do I go?
>Here's my card
>(writes down time and date)
>Tuesday afternoon I'm free. I'll have a proposal for you, you can email me a breif at any time before then.

Like getting them committed to a formal meeting.
OR DO I try and seal the deal then and there in that conversation?
I'm not sure what's a better strategy.

The other question is: courting sponsors.
I'm planning on doing a Youtube series, brand building exercise for me as a content creator yadda yadda yadda.
Details still being ironed out.
Once I've got the stats behind me, the views etc. I want to be banging on the doors of advertisers and big brands, hooking up direct sponsorship, or maybe signing a contract with them to shill as a brand ambassador.
Any thoughts?
I have no idea how I'd go about doing it (email pitches, maybe I'll need to start buying those horrendously overpriced conference tickets and just network in amongst all those advertisers?)

Also just got to say you do a really good job of explaining all this stuff, it's one thing to know your stuff, but it's quite another to to get that away in a clear and practicable way. Thanks!

Like the guy says. You got nothing to work with until the bitch says no. Then you find her concerns and preserve

Hey sales guy, I'm new to sales and in real estate so I have no idea what I'm doing. Everyone keeps giving me these scripts to use but I haven't been taught any of this sales language stuff, so anytime something unexpected comes up I get flustered. Any good advice for me? Books to read? I didn't realise I'm selling my services and not houses before I entered.

>So like solar panels, used cars, call centers, or what. If you didn't have anything where would you start looking?
Of those, honestly solar sounds the most fun and easiest to sell. If you can get a gig, go for it

Then just go for anything offering a mostly-commission based pay plan.

At work, I'll type something up later.

I like this post. I'll get to it in a second, but the general rule regarding your first question is if you can't process the payment at that time, don't do the sale. >I didn't realise I'm selling my services and not houses before I entered.
At least you've realized this, so I'll post about how to really sell yourself next.

May be going into a meeting in about 15 minutes; that's why I'm giving choppy answers. If I don't end up doing anything, I'll be right back on.

Get a decibal measuring app on your phone.
Record yourself talking.
voice coach
toastmasters
PUA bootcamp/ local lair.

Good fucking lock .The best brokers spend shit loads of money on advertising themselves. Get a very nice suit, clean whatever hoopty you own to a god damn sparkle and start hustling. Hustle as hard as you can. You need face contacts.

When you finally have a client that is willing to employ you, make sure you move heaven and fucking earth for them. You need to be bloiwng them on a regular basis, or just short of blowing them. After they buy the house, make sure you send them a classy, tasteful, hand written thank you note, take a picture of them with the house, then make sure you keep them in you notes as a follow up.

Same concept applies to selling cars.

How does one hustle though? Also o assume hoopty is my car?

Bump so it doesnt die

Will post and answer tomorrow morning. Grill is coming over tonight.

What about URRE?

In real estate? Advertising, cold calls, visiting networking/trade shows ect.

Also yes. Hoopty = car. Most reps that I have met get into real estate as almost a last resort. Especially junior reps. In which case, you probably aren't rolling some big ass soccer mom escalade, but whatever you have available. Rock that. Just like how your shoes are noticed when approaching someone, your car is noticed too. Make it look good.

Mortgage banker here. I do mortgages for people over the phone. Some advice after 2 years in sales that I would offer:
Always say thank you and please. And not just a scripted thank you, but make sure the other person is listening. Throw them a curve ball to start with so you get their attention. My curve ball is telling the person I'm not here to sell them a mortgage. I'm here to find out about their financial situation and see if they could benefit from a mortgage and if they will we can talk about it if they don't benefit we will talk about that.

BUMP because this is gold

>Any thoughts?
This is more of a business plan kind of thing I feel like. I was incredibly hungover last time I was replying; I'm not entirely sure how YouTube advertising works. That seems to be pure numbers and knowing one or two people with some experience.

>I haven't been taught any of this sales language stuff, so anytime something unexpected comes up I get flustered. Any good advice for me? Books to read?
I'll cover how to handle objections then. And as far as books, I love Cialdini, -Zig Ziggler, and Belfort is okay. Belfort was honestly more of a scam artist that happened to be a fantastic salesperson. His book is great for understanding why a sales process is important though.

>I have a big question for you. I really suck at talking to people in general, my voice gets low, and I feel like there's an "invisible wall" while talking to anyone and things get awkward fast. How do I improve? Any specific books/videos you recommend?
Practice. That's literally it. Go to bars if you need to. Knock a few back, and talk to a single guy at the bar. He's there to socialize. Or the bartender. They're incredibly easy to talk to. Not saying hit on them; just chat about stuff. Prior to trying something like this, stand in a Super Man pose. Head held high, back straight, hands on hips. Do this for 30 seconds where nobody can see you. You'll feel more confident afterward.

>What about URRE?
Invest in Pepes.

>I'll cover how to handle objections then
Objections are terrifying for new reps, a fun challenge for intermediate reps, and invaluable to the experienced.

>What's an objection?
A reason that a client gives you to not buy. They're all the fucking same. After about a month of selling, you'll have heard every single one. They can be grouped up pretty easily:

>Not for me
You haven't found a problem to solve yet, or a benefit/feature the client wants

>Can't afford it
Bullshit. I can't afford it simply means they want the money in their pocket more than whatever you're selling. If your product will save them money, this is the best thing you can hear.

>Today
They can't make the decision today/they need to think about it. Depending on your line of work, you may be fine with working a deal for a week or more. My industry requires I get the sale that day. Preferably inside of 2 hours. This isn't something that can be overcome with a simple retort or counter (typically). Your whole pitch needs to contain urgency requiring the deal that day.

>Condition
Can't be helped. Nobody can sell them due to some outside circumstance.

>So what do I do when my client says X?
This is the most common mistake I see new reps make. They'll listen to the closers and head reps, write down objections, and take notes on the response. Overcoming an objection isn't a call and response game. If it was, I'd be able to manage a sales team of successful parrots.

Objections are opportunities for you to tie down the client and get the sale.

>So they just said they can't buy because X
Cont

Smile and relax. That's the most important thing here. Do not panic. If you greet the objection like it's no big deal, it's not. If you're sitting, lean back.

Now, what to say. You preface every rebuttal with "I understand." (This is a huge emotive word/phrase by the way. You don't "know" anything. You sound like a prick.) There's two reasons for this. You want to validate their concern, and give yourself time to think.

Ever listen to a salesman misunderstand a question, explain the wrong thing, and act like everything is fine just to have the client rephrase the question? It was so obvious what the client meant, but he just didn't grasp it. That guy knew damn well what the client meant; he just didn't have an answer yet.

You validate their objections because you're going to agree with them.

>I understand completely, and that's exactly why...

The reason they're afraid to move forward is the exact reason they should do this today. You are going to use that concern to tie them down.

>I can't afford this
I understand completely, and that's exactly why you need to move forward.

>(They'll be confused and pause)
If you're concerned about budgeting, a widget that can save you X on Y is the best possible move for you. I'm not trying to take food out of your kids' mouths; I want the money you're already spending on Y. If we can invest that in a better fashion for you, save money along the way, and get a better performance from Y at the same time; you'd be set, wouldn't you?

You can also use a third party story there instead. But the "formula" is smile, agree, that's exactly why, tie down.