/agdg/ - Amateur Game Dev General

Progress posting edition

> Next Demo Day (Nine)
itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-9

> Next Game Jam (Space)
itch.io/jam/agdg-space-jam
Collab: pastebin.com/NEPv0pPC

Helpful Links: tools.aggydaggy.com/# (Still in beta)
New Threads: Archive: boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/agdg/

> Chats
steamcommunity.com/groups/vgamedevcrew
webchat.freenode.net/?channels=vidyadev

> Previous Demo Days
pastebin.com/Qi63yBxd

> Previous Jams
pastebin.com/hVhvNWLw

> Engines
GameMaker: yoyogames.com/gamemaker
Godot: godotengine.org/
Haxe: haxeflixel.com/
LÖVE: love2d.org/
UE4: unrealengine.com/what-is-unreal-engine-4
Unity: unity3d.com/

> Models/art/textures/sprites
opengameart.org/
blender-models.com/
mayang.com/textures/

> Free audio
machinimasound.com/
freesound.org/browse/
incompetech.com/music/
freemusicarchive.org/

Other urls found in this thread:

gogoanime.io/new-game-episode-1
kiss-anime.me/Anime/new-game
tools.aggydaggy.com/engines.html
strawpoll.me/10681071
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Free released 2D or 3D cute girl yet?

Yes

Why is monogame not an 'engine' on the list when it is (XNA) close to the top as a release engine for most amount of games?

Frameworks are not engines

Then why is Love2d here?

Memes are not engines

>no link
>no image
Nice Yes.

I think most people would be better off with frameworks.

Can we have a frameworks list?
What about godot?

You didn't ask for any links or images. I have to go now.

What next for the sperde berde?

How about we remove everything from the OP? Everthing is just opinion anyways, no one will ever be happy.

We need someone like Bob Ross to teach us about pixel art.

Have him undergo mind-breaking torture and castration for character development.

ANSWER RIGHT NOW: ARE YOU DD9 READY

not yet

googum

MAYBE

enginedev pls respond

How's it looking so far?

Honestly I'd love this. Good pixel art tutorials are... mostly non-existent. I only know one Japanese pixel-artist who has very good tutorials on their blog.

i replied to my own fucking post, what an idiot.

enginedev pls respond

>I only want to promote Unity or Gamemaker or NOTHING.
Come on user. I'm just asking for a new category. That'd be hugely relevant for a lot of people.

Maybe just link to others compiled lists of engines.

I'M READY
I'M READY
I'M READY
I'M READY
I'M READY
I'M READY

not yet but I'm almost done. the demo level is now fully lighted, baked and grunged up. not gonna lie, the demo is gonna be buggy as fuck

Pretty hot desu

>tfw I always fail at math functions and have to debug for hours to find out some simple math mistake

gogoanime.io/new-game-episode-1

Watch it here.

If it doesn't work, try kiss-anime.me/Anime/new-game

Cute 3D girl? For free release?

>not doing unit tests
Math functions is pretty much the only place you can do them in videogames.

So use them liberally there.

REMINDER TO POST A DEMO
YOU WANT YOUR NAME WRITTEN IN THE HALLS OF DEVALHALLA NEXT TO THESE FAMOUS TOP-TIER AGDG DEMOGAMES, RIGHT ???

Only Deadbolt is worth a shit.

Or just read the helpful link in the OP
tools.aggydaggy.com/engines.html

do you guys prefer creativity or just say fuck it and create an semi uninspired game?

I want to work on something but it is coping something pretty popular, but I want to try to make it my own.

War... war's never changdes '-DDDD

>tfw my game is there
I'll take it as a compliment.

>Boatshit Spherecrap
>FEEL FORCE OMEGA

There is a middle ground to find. Everyone is inspired by something, that's how is life and that's what makes us us. No need to turn your back from your inspirations, instead, make them yours.

It gives practically no depth though. Nobody can read that and be given a good idea of how to choose.

>How are you doing tiles?
Not sure what you want to know, but basically I use Tiled to make my levels, export them to csv files and convert them to my own level format. In-game I just have a matrix of tile indexes and look up which part of the tilemap texture to draw where. For collision with the tiles, I first check if the entity is touching a collidable tile and then use bitmasks for a pixel-perfect collision check.

As for the other questions, I don't yet have menus or intros in the game so there's not much I can say.

FFO is good tier whayatakinbout?

If you're programming (not just following tutorials) you will no doubt get ideas of things to do to make things more interesting.
Explore that.

spurdo dev is best dev

What
It has more detail than the OP does. The OP is more of just a quick reference to a few engine sites. The aggy site actually has descriptions.

That's the idea, thanks.

Is this some hot new may-may?

I'm really close to having the UI redone. Then I can work on adding actual features again

Damn, I see. looks like youre a better programmer than I am, i've never done anything like that

Reminder that posting a demo is just another form of procrastination. Yesdevs are ignoring demoday to work on their game.

It's pretty much guaranteed that your own ideas and influences will seep into your clone and make it into something different. I just wouldn't worry about it too much unless you're literally copying something 1:1.

literally who?

I hope yuo have all of his actions punctuated by poorly translated text-to-speech voices

Your game looks really cool?
What engine are you using?

STANDING
ON THE SNAIL

unity

Nice postal clone with dogs

I'm learning as I go, and most of the stuff mentioned I learned while making this game. The most complex game I've finished so far is a Tetris clone, so I've had plenty of what the fuck am I doing -moments with this one.

It's not really too complicated though, the hardest part is keeping your mind wrapped around your own spaghetti code.

I'm not him, but I'm also an engine dev and here's how I do tiles:
- I have a 2D array like this: map[y][x]. Each value in this tile represents a terrain. So if map[y][x]=1 then there will be mud, for 2 there will be ruck etc.
- The drawing process is basically two for loops like this:
for(length of mapHeight->y){
for(length of mapWidth->x){
if(map[y][x]>0) then draw
}
}
- The drawing works like this: I know that my tiles are in the size of 64x64, which means when I draw a tile, I can use the following formula:
if(map[y][x]>0) then draw(image,x*64,y*64,64,64)
Where x*64 is the x position of the tile, and y*64 is the y, and 64,64 is the width and the height of the tile which needs to be drawn.

For collision detection, I use the same trick. When I move, I create a ghost image of the character, and check if that ghost is in a tile. The formula goes like this:
if(map[floor(ghostY/64)][floor(ghostX/64)]>0) then collision, so the movement is blocked to that direction.

For a menu I've used a simple switch so far. So for every iteration of the game loop, I simply check which state the game is: in game mode, or in title screen mode, or in menu mode etc.

>1 day 13 hours 26 minutes
Who /deving all day/ here?

Finally some progress for Scrap Galaxy.

Which asteroid art looks best agdg?

I thought making a "newtonian" missile guidance would help me think of a quick fix enemy AI before DD9, but it was really just an excuse to dick around. On the plus side, I do have missiles now, and I did fix the shader problem that was causing jaggy black edges on undamaged ships.

>Was depressed
>Got SSRI
>Help with anxiety, yay.
>"Another typical effect is decreased motivation."
>(worth mentioning is that lack of motivation, is a fucking symptom of depression)

WHAT THE FUCK? Turns out there's atypical antidepressants and whatnot that have increased motivation as an effect, but all the first line drugs are pretty much picked due to sedative effects.

No fucking wonder people feel irked by psychiatry when they prescribe demotivational drugs as a depression treatement. What the actual fuck.

I've tried two different SSRIs so I can ask for things from later lineups now, anyone on meds here know what I could ask for to get me wired and motivated? Or perhaps I should just continue without any SSRÌs like the last two weeks...

strawpoll.me/10681071

Beautiful

today i will remind them

art is not progress

I'm going to save some energy for tomorrow.

I like upper right

>catmouth island vs. minecraft

gonna be honest
your spaceship looks like a cock and balls
and your missiles look like spunk leaking out of the balls

May I ask who'll be your target audience? People who already has some level of skill in creating art or those who would like to escape the hell of programmer art?

Do you see dicks everywhere user?

>Catmouth Island
>Original
You give yourself too much credit, Catmouthdev.

newtonian missiles may be accurate and all but never look good. if you want that extra bit of juice, give them the newtonian movement but keep the missiles pointing along the velocity vector

Not him but i can't see it user.

maybe you should link it user

only where i see 2 spheres/obloids attached to a rod

with white stuff coming out of them

user from last night with pic related. Does anyone have tutorials on how to draw characters not looking straight at you? Like when he is moving

wheres your game

just make like a stick figure, seeing as he's one

just make him move sideways?
after all, turning sideways makes you a smaller target
useful if you're a warrior

>this got praised as the best available free characters out there
Wait, what? Does this mean that I can actually get away with cube characters in my game?

Don't use fully newtonian missiles. You'll end up with them overshooting moving targets and getting into strange orbits around their targets.

Torpedos perhaps, heavy hitting but slow to accelerate, usable only against enormous targets is ok for newtonian. But for any combat missiles you either want to fix a speed value and have a separate direction vector to allow them to revector rapidly, or atleast increase their drag to engine ratio so they don't accelerate wildly and overshoot in strange manner. It will also improve their targeting as they don't accumulate so much lateral velocity.

Forgot pic

Who the fuck would want an unplayable game.

Nonexistent yet

>Does this mean that I can actually get away with cube characters in my game?

Yes

Kids like the minecraft aesthethic.

It's impossible to get away with cube characters: See minecraft

Kenney's assets look nice but it's practically impossible to build a game from them

You can't actually program, can you?

>when the bugs start piling up

Well, you either build your whole game with them or nothing. You can not just use one or two of his stuff, because they match with nothing else.

I know that feeling user. I can't help but look away when my characters look at me. Makes it very hard to draw.

I prefer scenery.

minecraft was going to have actual character models but notch stuck with his programmer art until release

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Not really seeing the stick figure in him, I even made his arms and legs bigger after getting that feedback

Some of /v/'s favourite games are broken as shit

Christ

And he did NOT get away with it.