/xcg/ - XCOM General

Sweet fucking backgrounds Edition

Previous mission →

News:

1)Shen's Last Gift DLC Rleased!!!

2)
XCOM 2 officially coming to Xbox One and PlayStation 4 on September 6th.
>twitter.com/XCOM/status/740181548419272705

3)
Julian Gollop is working on his new game Phoenix Point. It's a turn-based tactical game with strategy elements, destructible terrain, geoscape and character progression much akin to XCOM. Lobstermen are confirmed.
>twitter.com/Phoenix_Point
>phoenixpoint.info/
>pcgamer.com/julian-gollop-announces-new-game-phoenix-point/

4)
Long War Studios are working on more mods for XCOM2. The first in a planned series of five is live on Workshop + Nexus now, and is called Long War Toolbox.
>xcom.com/news/en-long-war-studios-creating-more-xcom-2-mods
>steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=674832831
Also cosmetic mod author Capnbubs - maker of the most endorsed mod on the workshop - has been signed onto the LWS team to model stuff.

The /xcg/ Mandatory Read:
>pastebin.com/k9pT8zx4

Piratez mod for OpenXCom: openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,3626.0.html

Assorted improvements (Skip intros, alleviate stuttering, multi monitor support, and resolutions past 1080p)
>steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=616682629

XCOM2 NEW AND IMPROVED MODLIST, updated regularly:
>pastebin.com/pTMatP5Z

NEW MEGA MOD LIBRARY - Contains all 180 mods from the new modlist:
>mega.nz/#F!HlgWjCqR!STJ0c0kW8Fs6jKynqKyerw

/xcg/'s Long War Library (New LW players read this shit or you will be ignored):
>pastebin.com/YmaXBKpN

Image Library of /xcg/:
>imgur.com/a/S1qfx

first for ayy lmao

YOUR RECENT ACTIONS HAVE BEEN BEYOND OUR EXPECTATIONS, COMMANDER

Wow, fuck, where's the rest of the thread?

Ok, so I know we can make SPARKs in the Character Pool. but I haven't finished my first campaign with them yet, so can someone tell me how the Character Pool affects SPARKs?

For example, if you set your options for a game to "Character Pool only," does the game actually draw SPARKs from the pool whenever you build one in the Proving Grounds?

Welcome to a fresh thread.

COMMANDER YOUR PERFORMANCE HAS BEEN MEDIOCRE

Well, i build one and got the one of my character pool, so i am going to assume yes.
They dont have enough customization for it to be worthwhile though

I'm gonna assume the proper way to continue that sentence is "unless you use mods"

>tfw no guerrilla warfare mod

Snek?
Snek!
Sneeeeeeeek!

REMOVE?
REMOVE!
REMOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE!

I like the three SPARK mods, but their customization are just Arms, Legs, Body and Heads, is pretty much nothing compared to normal soldiers

Look, the fact is there is nowhere in the skill saying the soldier will be out for 2 turns. Unless you are fucking clairvoyant, you have no way of knowing the soldier will be out for 2 turns by reading the explanation.

Long story short, it is not self explanatory.

>want to have a bit more engineers than medics
>make high-will guys into medics because PSI
>make high-mob guys into medics because paramedic
>make high-health guys into medics because medkit guy duying is bad, and engis already get more base health
>end up with 6 medics 1-2 engineers

Commander's Curse

engineers can make decent secondary psi troopers, you just have to lower your will threshold sometimes

>Almost done clearing out landed UFO
>Looks to be one more pod left behind a door, not sure what it could be
>Set up the squad to ventilate whatever is behind it, places everyone!
>Open the door
>No pod, just the berserker queen.
>ohshit.jpg
>Manage to drive it off before nearly getting my shit pushed in

Gotta love the surprises in this game.

R A R E
saved

Snek STINKS!

I don't know man, she looks pretty hot there to me.

>2 Stun Lancers and an Officer
>2 Stun Lancers and an Officer
>2 Stun Lancers and a Sectoid

Is this how they made Legend hard? Just wave after wave of these bullshit enemies?

Snek is blasphemy my boy

Just shoot them

>Just wave after wave of these bullshit enemies?
Welcome to xcom,have fun

I've beaten Commander a few times and never ran into this many early game, just one flashbang was fine.

>barely got plate armour
>Advanced Lancers with 10+ HP, 1 armour and dodge chance

wew now

Im with this guy

>it is better to put a concealed squad in overwatch for the enemy to reveal on THEIR turn then put your squad in overwatch and then attack with someone on YOUR turn, breaking concealement

This is true, right?

A concealed soldier won't fire on overwatch unless the ayys spot him. Additionally if the Ayys spot your dude by flanking them there's a chance that they'll shoot.

yes

>if the Ayys spot your dude by flanking them
which they added because the tactic is instant win if you can safely overwatch in the open

I've been gone for about a week, did I miss any new spicy memes?

R A R E

_____no u_____

NOT WITNESSED

>Update computer to 8.1
>Fucks my xcom in the ass
>mod launcher won't work when launched from steam
>redscreen's during gameplay

just fuck me in the ass sempai

>Update computer to 8.1
Surely you don't mean windows 8

>reinstall
>3rd party mod launcher
>-noredscreens in launch options

It's what im stuck with sempai, im not pulling the trigger on windows 10 and its blatant spyware. I'd rather keep the spyware low key.

It's what I am doing now, if this bricked all my shit though I am going to be pissed since it took 4-5 days before it finally decided to update after I refreshed windows.

>Impyling windows 8 is better than 8.1

He never implied that.

No, I'm implying why would anyone (given the choice) upgrade to windows 8, any variation of.

Windows 10 is fine, but it makes sense that XSCUM agents would be Luddites.

ADVENT pls go.

r8 my new robot

My computer is a brick but even it looks better that your game

After last gift, for some reason, I can only play it with minimal stats without the computer crashing.

I have no idea why, but I assume it's some GPU shit that I don't have the props to solve. Any tips recommended (I did the ini edits already, and at least the game stopped stuttering like hell)

looks like shit desu senpai

am i going to have to put the LOD settings on the textures to -1 so low settings gets at least 512x512?

Windows 98 is for the true OGs at xcom

ADVENT can keep that win 10 shit

>he doesn't run XP
>laughing_patsy.png

>he doesn't run ME

>They run windows
>Not using DOS

>Not just using your imagination

anything else is cheating thqh

>DOS
LOL get out of the 80s grandpa, it's all about Linux now
>he doesn't emulate DOS by emulating Windows through Linux
Do you even computer bro?

On a neutralize VIP mission, what happens if you kill the VIP? The mission gives supplies and intel, I'm guessing you just lose the intel?

Yes

Pistols are Useful.

>>Rleased!!!

Can't believe my typo is still there...

Is there any leeway for losing missions on Legend? In almost every timed mission so far I'll complete the objective with 1 turn remaining.

You can lose a mission or maybe two, but not squad members at the same time.

Legend difficulty curve is just like EU impossible, you absolutely must win the early missions but once you reach a certain point it hardly matters (and you can straight up skip them). In EU that point was getting a colonel sniper, in 2 it's probably just simply getting psionics up and running. It's also pretty hard to lose with a full squad of grenadiers. Legend just happens to be more drawn out so that will also affect the scales.

It's not the end of the world

If it's a guerrilla op, losing to the timer means you lose out on the reward(sometimes pitiful, sometimes good), a dark event gets through, and the councilman calls you mediocre. Council missions however, best case you somehow manage to get the entire squad extracted and gain absolutely nothing. If you're struggling on the timer, that's rarely going to happen forever, so you'll be forced to evac with 2+ guys on the field. That is worse, but still manageable, as you can fill in the slots with people from HQ/Black market, although you have to dish out considerable supplies/intel.

All in all, painful, but manageable. Don't do it repetedly

>Viper King got away

I almost had him...

(also I was not prepared for this mission)

Now that the dlcs are all out, is it time to come back?

Should i wait for long war?

>Got the season pass
>Heard mixed about it
>Anarchy's children is fucking awful
>Seriously
>Alium hunters, haven't gotten far yet, found "unique" weapons which seems OP as shit
>Shen's Last Gift

Fucking robutts everywhere, thinking of restarting my ironman run and just bring tech guys.

Probably. Seems like the return points would be:
All dlc released, expansion, long war overhaul equivalent(s).

alight time to lose

>tfw toaster can't even run the game with just official addons without multi-minute load times

Black Friday can't get here soon enough.

>Your brain still recognizes the pic
Memes are a wonderful thing.

the human mind is some whack ass amazing shit, yeah

"modlauncherwpf has stopped responding"

What the fuck is this shit.

EXALT
X
A
L
T

Will hacking a door cost both action points?

No, it's a turn ending action, like shooting a rifle. You can take a blue action first. If you hack as your blue action, you are fucked though, so don't do that.

All right, thanks
I'll grenade the ayy lmaos to death and open the door next round then and not sacrifice my grenadier that is out in the open

An excellent plan. Carry on, commander.

I made it out on the last turn with all soldiers alive and unharmed
Even took down an officer just before extracting

Will I get fucked hard in the ass if I go do the initial mission from Shen's Last Gift as early as possible?

Could be. The enemies have lot's of armor, especially the sectopod.

I found it pretty hard with only conventional weapons

So that's a "yes, you should wait until later" I take it?

People have done it earlier, but then immediately recommended waiting till mag weapons.

How the fuck do I fix the stutter I get at the start of the mission in the fast rope cutscene and at the end when returning to avenger?

Don't forget to bring a fusion torch to make UFO breaches easier.

You don't, it's called shitty optimization/engine.

>Never stop
>You can sprint and use the elevator on the same turn
>You can hack the sectopod to take control of all robits

>Wait until you see 4 robits and the one in the back
>Hack sectopod
>run all the robits to the sectopod in alluh ackbar mode near a generator
>Cap discharge bomb the sectopod

Did over half its health this way. You can also overcharge Spark to burn 3 armor, plus 3 frags hopefully saved to burn the rest so you can actually damage it while you wait for the mechs to appear.

>Trying to convince someone to go to early and get rekt
Just what a Faceless would say!

What, you gonna tell me you didn't stop the large ufo invasion in the first month in long war?

Fundamental difference is that your talking about a mission with a limited windo. You can take on Shen's robot rodeo anytime you want.

>you can hack the sectopod to take control of all robits
what, i never bothered trying to hack it because i assumed it would be like hacking a normal sectopod, shutting it down or taking control of him
now i feel silly for never trying it before

But that would involve waiting around in the first month playing with your dick

you gonna tell me you dont like action?

i cant even play the game right now because window update to 8.1 fucked my game and I have no idea how to fix it

It kinda bugged the game out doing it, since the game registers each robit alluh ackbar as an individual damage. So it takes like 2 minutes to go through the aftermath of the cap discharge.

>he unironically thinks avatars are the best waifus
wew, they don't even have art

I just did. I wouldn't recommend

>i cant even play the game right now because window update to 8.1 fucked my game and I have no idea how to fix it
Rollback

>But that would involve waiting around in the first month playing with your dick
Legendary keeps me plenty busy thank you

For giggles, this is the menu I get when I launch the game.

>Play modern Xcom
Geoscape is watered down.
>Play X com UFO defense
Battlescape is tedious and overly clunky.

Is there any game that has the best of both? I miss the old geoscape, but I think TUs are a dumb idea compaired to modern Xcom's movement system (although I admit the AI could be improved so gameplay does not revolve around killing pods the same turn they appear on)

>Battlescape is tedious and overly clunky.
git gud
>but I think TUs are a dumb idea
git gud

But honestly I don't know of any game that does both better then og-xcom. Long War has a geo-scape game with the new x-com gameplay.

>base defense
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE