/sthg/ - Sonic the Hedgehog General

Welcome to Sonic the Hedgehog general. Let's talk about Sonic games, old and new, and the entire franchise including animation and comics. Share art, music, talk about new developments, discuss ROM hacks, speedrunning, etc.

/sthg/ - #494 - Speed Gaming Edition

>Link CompilationDrawfag/Writefag Idea WallsNews/Developments
SEGA Confirms New Sonic Project Coming 2017
sonicstadium.org/2016/06/sega-confirms-new-sonic-project-is-coming-in-2017/

Sonic Humble Bundles
humblebundle.com/sonic-25th-anniversary-bundle
humblebundle.com/books/sonic-comics-bundle

Tons of Unseen Sonic Concept Art Revealed
sonicstadium.org/2016/06/lots-of-unseen-concept-art-of-sonic-and-company/

Sonic: Mega Drive First Look, Sequel Revealed
sonicstadium.org/2016/06/first-look-at-sonic-mega-drive-1-reveals-sequel/

Sonic Boom Fire & Ice E3 Trailer
sonicstadium.org/2016/06/sonic-boom-fire-ice-e3-trailer/

Runners is Dead.
sonicstadium.org/2016/05/sonic-runners-shutting-down-next-month/

Sonic is joining the cast of LEGO Dimensions!
siliconera.com/2016/06/09/sonic-hedgehog-joins-lego-dimensions/

>Recent Releases

Other urls found in this thread:

a.pomf.cat/wqrcbb.webm
youtube.com/watch?v=t_c2RLiCHSk
carpeludum.com/kega-fusion/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Gotta build fast!

a.pomf.cat/wqrcbb.webm

nth for MASTER PLAN

>techno base is undefendable

Elaborate.

i didn't need to see that

Techno Base is probably the one level of that game that best validates the "screen size is too small" complaint.

I don't usually complain about cheap pit deaths but the number of them in that stage is just inexcusable because a lot of the level design is kinda misleading and really good at making you die in ways you couldn't if you could see more of the screen.

Oh god. I didn't need to be reminded of this.

It was pretty fun making it, though.

the master emerald prayer has NOTHING TO DO WITH SUPER FORMS REE

Is it wrong that, while I liked the story and thought the characters and art were cute, I didn't find Mega Drive that funny?

I don't know, maybe I've seen too many reaction images that I've become used to it.

I'm still glad I bought it though, I'd love to see more one-off comics in this ilk. Why can't we get some Sonic 'what-if' Elseworld style stories?

>super form gives bigger tits

>Is it wrong that, while I liked the story and thought the characters and art were cute, I didn't find Mega Drive that funny?
I didn't find it funny either, but I really don't find anything super funny anymore unless I'm sleep deprived.

I avoided the dump in the last thread, still waiting for my copy to show up.
Though from the previews I saw they used that old ass giant enemy crab meme, so I'm a little worried about the rest of it.

It's not so much that as much as much as it didn't even make me chuckle or giggle even. And I tend to get roused to laugher fairly easily, I just feel like I've missed something.

I've still got to pick up my copy, as I saw it yesterday in the plastic nerd crap depository (formerly known as a comic book shop) I felt like I could cheat a little and read it here.

>It was pretty fun making it, though.

You owe us some explanations here user.

Sure. Ask away. It's been 6 years. I've heard it all.

What made you want to do this?

I dunno, user. Maybe it's just a miss instead of a hit humorwise and nothing more.

Of course. Why wouldn't it?

Maybe, humour is subjective, I just wanted to see if anyone else didn't find it that funny. Certainly that 'Giant Enemy Crab' reference made me cringe a little. Really I feel this comic is good because it's wonderfully illustrated and makes for a nice nostalgia trip, along with the character interactions.

The film in question was for Sonic's 19th Anniversary celebration. There was a video contest issued by SEGA of America much like the one that's going on in EU right now. You could make a video up to 5 minutes showing your dedication to the Sonic franchise. The winner would get an all-expenses-paid trip to SEGA of Japan to play Sonic 4 before anyone else. (Bear in mind that this is before we knew that it would suck.)

After a couple weeks of writing, filming and editing, Tim and I launched it to YouTube. We made it into the top 10 submissions before getting knocked out by the finalists.

Oh. Well at least you did it for a good reason.

Of course, I was entertained by it for sure and felt it was good overall and the next one has my interest especially with Metal Sonic being apart of it.

Well, yeah. Of course. That level of autism needs SOME direction behind it, right?
I have to say that it's pretty cathartic to reflect on that time in my life. It was just about exactly 6 years ago.

is tim your brother or your bf?

it isn't funny. the mainline comics aren't ever funny either.

it's just cute.

Neither. He's my best friend from high school. We do sometimes get confused for brothers, though. We even have the same middle name, funnily-enough.

Were you Shadow or Sonic?

I was Sonic: The guy running super fast in that one webm that gets passed around.

I fucking know you're here, Nuji, you degenerate.

>yfw Ian finally stopped sucking Sonally's dick and got onboard the superior ship

So what are the chances of Genesis of a Hero having the same art style as the recent Mega Drive comic? Never read Archie Sonic before today..but holy shit I loved that comic!

Possibly~
What do you want

Kinda a bad intro, since the comics aren't like that.

You're this guy?

They're in the same continuity, so it should be pretty similar.

None. It'll presumably just be some flashback story.
Though there's a Mega Drive sequel coming out eventually so there'll be more of that style soon.
Thank you based Hesse.

Yessir. The very same.

Wow, the comics of old read like a high school story. It's kinda weird.

If it takes place in the Genesis game-era, as does the one shot, why wouldn't it make use of the same art style?

The structure is fine, but the dialogue is incredibly flat.

Nothin, just saw you postin stuff to e621. Just aggressively sayin hi.

Hoo boy you have no idea.

You absolute madman

>You will never go fast with Sonic
Should have killed myself a long time ago.

I have come to peace with this.

Though, I'm honestly a little surprised that you actually believe that I'm The Sonic Kid without any proof. Either you folks don't care that much, or you're awfully trusting.
Regardless, yeah. Those were good times.

You can if you get your friend to drive slowly with the camera pointing out the passenger-side window and then speed up the footage like we did.

>OP isn't the image ABT did of bump last thread.

Seriously?

We're saving it for #500.

If you don't think this is the cutest shit then get the fuck out of my face

Wow, it's suppose to be serious but I can't stop laughing.

It's pretty cute.

>we want the anime audience

do blaze RIGHT MEOW

>Though, I'm honestly a little surprised that you actually believe that I'm The Sonic Kid without any proof.
Honestly, why would anyone lie about being the sonickid

Great job, that's super cute.

Hello /sthg/! I assume this question has already been asked many many times in the past but I'm going to ask it anyway, where should I start with the comics and how should I read them?
Should I start at the beginning but skip through specific issues, or should I just start after the reboot?
I know pretty much nothing about the comics, apparently it started off well, got shit, got good again, got into a lot of legal trouble, "lol we reset the universe" and that's about it. I read the mega drive comic today and enjoyed it.
Also, any good tv shows? I've watched the movie, and I watched the first five (or something like that) episodes of the Sonic Boom series (might continue). When I was younger The Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog aired on TV but I can't remember if it was any good.
Also, any good obscure Sonic games? I've completed the majority of sonic games, even the bad stuff, but maybe there is some great obscure game released on a portable device or something like that.

I second this motion

Depends.

Start at the reboot if you don't care about bullshit

The first few comics were pretty shitty and corny, then it got good, then it got bad, then it got worse

About the issues you should skip, well, I'm not sure. I don't know the comic numbers by heart, but I know there's a guide somewhere in the general, maybe the pastebin in the OP

I myself read em all, along with the specials, for nostalgia reasons

youtube.com/watch?v=t_c2RLiCHSk

mega drive is a little better than the mainline comics

lower your expectations

Where you start in the comics depends entirely on your tolerance for dumb shit and endurance. If you think you can, go from the beginning. If you want to experience just the good, start from 1 and go until you don't like it, skip to 160 and go from there. The reboot is the easiest choice and is better to know moving forward even if it isn't amazing.

Good point.

Read the reboot.

AoStH and SatAM are okay. AoStH is more of a Looney Tunes-type show, whereas SatAM is more serious. Underground is good if you want to laugh at something shitty.

Sonic Triple Trouble and Sonic Chaos are good. And, while not technically obscure, Colors DS and Generations 3DS are also pretty good.

You can start from the beginning if you want and enjoy lol the ride.

There's 2 ongoing comics: Sonic The Hedgehog (StH) - the main one - and Sonic Universe (SU) - which focuses on characters other than Sonic.
Sonic Universe mostly contains side stories but is often better than the main comic so still worth reading.

StH #160 Ian Flynn comes in, the current writer.
StH #252 and SU #52 are the where the reboot starts so you can just start from there then go back and read old issues if you wish.

This is a not-up-to-date list of the comics in reading order, so just follow this when you've decided your starting point.

Start with the first Sonic/Mega Man crossover, Worlds Collide. It was designed partially to help get non-comic Sonic and Mega Man fans into the comics and leads directly into the reboot. After that, start with Sonic #252 and Sonic Universe #55. Skip the second crossover, Worlds Unite, completely. Once you've caught up to us, go back and start picking at the pre-reboot material.

For cartoons, there are five. Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog was a wacky comedy show. "Sonic the Hedgehog" (everyone calls it SatAM) was a more serious action-drama that ran alongside AoStH. Sonic Underground happened a few years later and turned the plot into "Sonic and his twin brother and sister who are all voiced by the same guy are actually royalty and travel the world trying to find their mom while singing." It's generally considered garbage. Sonic X is an anime show generally criticized for too much focus on human OCs instead of the Sonic characters. Sonic Boom is more situational comedy, and is getting a second season this fall. There's also an animated movie OVA from the late 90s that's pretty good.

As for obscure games, any of the 8-bit ones are usually brought up. Play/emulate the Master System ones on the Master System for increased screen size. Don't play/emulate them on Game Gear unless they're a Game Gear exclusive.

Don't forget about Sonic X. Despite its overwhelming focus on the self-insert human characters it's the closest to the games in terms of lore.

Worlds Unite had its good moments, it's worth a read I think obviously not as good as the first one. Unless you're talking about it not having any relevance to the plot at all.

worlds collide was pretty bad too.

Is there an archive of The Ride threads anywhere? I need it for some reason.

That's pretty cute

I'd still fuck her

Fireden, but the images are likely gone.

that song brings back memories, I forgot it had a lot of the comics on it, did it have all of them? I never read them on it though.

don't worry, they are pretty low

I think I'll just start from the reboot

I'll check some of those out

thanks, that'll be helpful

i remember playing some of the 8-bit games on either mega collection or gems collection, I'll need to find those games and try them again

subbed or dubbed? Just kidding, not kidding.

Anyway, thanks for all the info, gonna go run fast now, see ya!

>subbed or dubbed? Just kidding, not kidding.
Honestly, watch both. Watch the sub first because it's better for obvious reasons, but the dub is interesting as you hear the 4kids cast gradually get a hang of the voices, leading to them being cast for the games for a few years.

>subbed or dubbed? Just kidding, not kidding.
Sub for quality, but in terms of importance to the franchise, the dub is actually quite important, since the most famous VAs for Sonic and co started with X, including Pollock

I would say start with flynn's run at 160 and read the wiki for background info

Beat me to it.

>gonna go run fast now, see ya!
Go sit in the corner.

>I'll need to find those games and try them again

Just grab Fusion, it's the best pre-Saturn SEGA emulator.

carpeludum.com/kega-fusion/

>I think I'll just start from the reboot
Happy reading. I do recommend to check out some pre-reboot stories in the future as there is great stuff within it along with where many consider the golden age of the comics to be.

Really, some anons should make a list of great pre-reboot stories for people skipping the pre-reboot.

> implying I've got time to watch both shit, what do you mean I do have time to watch both?! i have a life, oh wait... nevermind
I'll maybe watch it subbed at some point then if I'm bored as shit one day.

don't give a fuck about the importance to the franchise

Jokes on you, I love sitting in the corner

They're in my cupboard, can't be bothered downloading shit

I'll probably go back and read the old shit if I finish with the new shit.

why

This is how anime works
This is how Japan works

>some anons should make a list of great pre-reboot stories for people skipping the pre-reboot.
I'd love to see this too.
I have little experience of the pre-reboot stuff - and that experience consists of garbage I looked at just to see how bad it got.
There must be some good stuff from back then.

Knuckles is the best character

i think the idea is supposed to be that her body 'grows up' more. she's drawn taller and more mature-looking besides just her bust size.

i just like it because i like non-gold super form art a whole lot.

Some stories that come to mind are

Treasure Team Tango (most of Universe really)
The issues with LIMIT
Forged in Fire
Thicker than Water
Return to Angel Island
Stargazing (good enough to basically be redone in the reboot)

Just a list off the top of my head
>Return to Angel Island
>All of issue 23
>Thicker than Water (217-218)
>Sonic 25
>The first Shard story
>Father and Son (Or whatever the backup where Jules BTFO Scourge)
>The Tails Adventure
>Issue 175
>Treasure Team Tango (Probably the best option for newcomers since it requires the least knowledge of continuity so anyone can jump right in)
>Forged in Fire
>Super Sonic vs Hyper Knuckles is decent
>Stargazing
Did I miss anything?

Are any of you against the addition of new characters in the franchise whether it be the games or the comics? That's seems to be a complaint many fans make when asked why the series has deteriorated recently

I'd rather they use who they have previously introduced.

No, Sonic 4 retcons the games to be Sonic 2-Sonic 3 and Knuckles together, no mention of Sonic 1.

Sonic 4 Episode 1 is immediately after Sonic 3 and Knuckles. Sonic 4 Episode 2, Sonic CD's happened already. So we know that unless Sonic CD is between Sonic 4 episodes, it has to happen before Sonic 3 and Knuckles.

Sonic 3 and Knuckles happens a week or so after Sonic 2. Unless we shove Eggman having an entirely new and different plan while also being concerned with tricking Knuckles and getting the Death Egg started again, nothing happens in that week or so. So now we have an unbreakable block from Sonic 2 to Sonic 4 Episode 2.

This leaves Sonic CD to necessarily occur before Sonic 2. Going by Japanese materials, Sonic 1 is the first time Eggman's going after the Chaos Emeralds using badniks that use animals as batteries, so the user's theory that CD comes before since it uses flowers as batteries can technically work. I'd prefer it after Sonic 1, though- I feel having CD be the literal first game in the timeline's too early considering the personal vendetta touch of Metal Sonic.

Thus, the more likely timeline, game-wise at least, becomes

Sonic 1 -> Sonic CD -> Sonic 2/Sonic 3/Sonic and Knuckles/Sonic 4 Episode 1 -> Sonic 4 Episode 2 (with the arrows indicating where there's some empty time between games).

In the games? Yes because there is a substantial enough cast to support a self contained story in a game and a lot of characters go unutilized
In the comics? No as long as the new character adds something substantial or interesting and has an actual niche instead of just taking up space or overshadowing the main cast. I have less of a problem with it because a lot of the game characters are still heavilty utilized as of the reboot. But in general is accurate

they have a hard time using new characters more than once, much less in any effective ways and i'd say that's the real root of the problem.

What's the one called when Mighty went searching for his sister, a heartbreaker, but I think it was good enough to be included.

I'm not against the addition of new characters provided they serve a purpose that isn't served by someone else, while preferring they use who they already have whenever possible. I didn't mind the Freedom Fighters back when there were literally three game characters period, but right now there's enough game characters to give Sonic a good supporting cast without needing the Freedom Fighters, for example. That said, there are some niches that are unfilled in the games, and new characters would work if done carefully.

Ewww. Why?

I thought sticks was decent, although I get the feeling she there so there isnt just one female main character.

put it this way, if they announced a new character I wouldn't be meh about it.