This whole "join a trade" meme confuses me. None of my local community colleges offer degrees/programs in HVAC...

This whole "join a trade" meme confuses me. None of my local community colleges offer degrees/programs in HVAC, electrician training, plumbing, etc. The private schools that do offer those programs cost as much as universities, with tuition rates upwards of $12,000 a year. Gaining an apprenticeship through a union is a crap shoot, unless you have a bachelor's degree to distinguish yourself or have a family member or friend as a connection. Why is it so hard for people like me who just want honest, cheap training in a humble career field? I swear, I'm going to be working retail for the rest of my fucking life. What am I doing wrong?

Other urls found in this thread:

illinois1call.com/about.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Where are you and how mobile are you? If you're doing the CC thing anyway, no harm in moving somewhere that has a better program.

most people get into trades without any training I think. You find a friend that's willing to teach you to weld or do drywall or build lawns or whatever and you just go to work for them or see if they can get you a job where they work.

once you know the ropes and have the certs you need you can strike out on your own.

Trades are extremely nepotistic and the trades shortage is a myth

t. trade school graduate who still can't find an apprenticeship

>Get a job as an apprentice or helper
>On the job training
>Get treated like a bitch for a few years
>Get promoted to journeyman, technician etc

That's it really. Trade school or vocational school helps.

The "Get treated like a bitch for a few years" is this shit part. While people you went to high school with are studying at university to get a degree and working part-time at most doing easy shit, you're busting your ass and getting yelled at 5 days a week, from 5 AM to 3 PM making shit pay the whole way.

As someone that did that for a year and a half and never broke 13.40/hr, fuck trades. Waste of fucking time and effort and your body is wrecked by the time you're 30.

And let's not forget even a degree in underwater basketweaveing is infinity more valuable and versatile than any trade certification.

>The "Get treated like a bitch for a few years" is this shit part

Sure is. I call my helper "bitch" like it's his name.

>5 AM to 3 PM making shit pay the whole way

I work 9ish to 4ish, sometimes later. Average 30 hours a week. I started at $13 15yrs ago

>your body is wrecked by the time you're 30

Nope. I'm 37 Veeky Forumsizen and in the best shape of my life. I go to the gym 5 days a week.

I work as a low voltage tech, fire alarms, card access etc. It's easy non-back breaking work. The shit part of the job my helper does.

I am also qualified to work as an electrician, and have been trying to start a side business with a partner.

I started with no experience as a helper, and worked my way up to head tech.

>have been trying to start a side business with a partner.
This always intrigues me.

Like what is there to try? You don't even have to quit your day job. You buy a business license, price insurance, and buy an ad in the local paper and the yellow pages.

then when you get work you go buy insurance.

if you don't get any more work you put your insurance on hold and wait for more work.

Aside from having to answer your phone with a business name nothing in your life has changed. It's a business that essentially starts itself.

I'm not that far yet. We have been slowly building a customer base for 8yrs, and are able to keep our cost down due to low overhead (no insurance, free company vehicle, no staff etc) We get a good amount of referrals from customers and friends, and are discussing taking the next step. For now, the extra cash is good enough.

As far as advertising goes, do people still look at the yellow pages or newspaper? I'm old and haven't opened a phone book or newspaper since my first smartphone.

I'm not sure if anyone looks at that stuff anymore except people our age.

but usually buying the print ad gets you an online listing too.

Never mind my curiosity then, it sounds like you're already in business just haven't made it legal yet. Nice work.

is that a gif of Sahim Al Hayid?

>what is a vocational or trade school

I'm an electrician. I went to a community college for a year and learned some basics. (not all basics, since trades are usually hands on) and applied to hundreds of decently paying jobs. Didn't get hired. Tried to join a union, but unions are bullshit. Got a job at some shitty place for $15/hr running wires and running shit like conduit.. nothing technical. Left because of pay and then put on my resume I had experience (which I did now) and then I started getting a bunch of offers. Now I'm a "Electrical and Instrumentation Technician" for a non-union employer for $28/hr.

Don't know if that helps.

The whole "Learn a trade" meme is only a viable strategy if oil prices are at record highs or you have connections to get into a union.

source: live in Alberta, know people in the trades who have seen boom and bust times.

Depends. Usually you pick up whatever apprenticeship is in your area/you get started on unskilled shit with whatever manual labor company is hiring.

My father basically did that; he started as nobody pounding nails and worked his way up to HVAC-R/Elevator mechanic work.

Also running a business based on a skilled trade isn't as easy as this guy makes it out to be. The construction industry is widely regarded as the most litigious sector in the economy.

It's also very prone to 'old boys' clubs' and nepotism.

Also I've heard stories about unions doing nasty things to scabs and competitors.

>tuition rates upwards of $12,000 a year

ask a builder/plumber if you can work for him for free for a few weeks if he shows you the ropes.

congratulations i just saved you $12,000 with some common sense

its an extremely shit career choice trust me
and today's pay is nowhere what it was

I am a machinist, I have no formal training but I am making 17$/hr after only a year, mind you I most likely could be making more elsewhere but I am taking the time to learn the trade from a very experienced tool maker, I think as I acquire more experience and skills, pay will be better

Why don't you walk to your local franchise and ask what you need to know? For example Mr. Rooter does plumbing in the entire US.

tell me more about instrumentation you in australia?

>The construction industry is widely regarded as the most litigious sector in the economy.
let me guess:
you've never heard of liability insurance.

>running a business is hard!
>I know because I've never done it!
t. Veeky Forums

trade school is a thing

It's all due to leftists. They made our workforce inherently expensive. Now we don't make things anymore, cars, computers, etc, and everyone needs a college degree in social studies

>None of my local community colleges

Find a technical college.

You bend tubes and make shit work on nothing but air pressure. Magic!

College was definitely good shit, but now I'm 25 and deliver pizzas because there are no jobs specific to my AWESOME STEM DEGREE.

Best advice: figure out how to do something for yourself, then lie your ass off about credentials (provided those credentials aren't legally protected, e.g. "Medical Doctor" or CPA). All of the job opportunities with none of the downsides.

> The construction industry is widely regarded as the most litigious sector in the economy.
Probably due to how easy it is for idiots to start a job before they've ironed everything out. Somebody needs to tell these guys that "measure twice, cut once" applies to drafting a construction plan. As well, skimping out on construction materials or failing to finalize a plan with the client can easily result in a lawsuit.

Here's a great anecdote: the one time I got called for jury duty it was a classic case of "didn't call JULIE" where the construction crew dug into some company's lines. (apparently julie is only an illinois meme illinois1call.com/about.html )

35 is around the cut-off point for newspapers I think. I'd be surprised if anyone under 30 read them. Yellow pages should be good, I think most people would look for yellow pages before newspaper, taking into account word-of-mouth.

Try Craigslist, local newspapers, local grocery stores (they put ads on the back of receipts), put a label on your home vehicle.

Getting paid 40$/H , 3 years after trade. My job isn't even hard on my body
You getting cucked hard git gud