/agdg/ - Amateur Game Dev General

"DD9 is not over yet you know, there's still like 21 hours to submit games" edition

>Demo Day (Nine)
>PLAY GAMES NOW, SCROLL DOWN AND PLAY THOSE GAMES
itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-9

>Next Game Jam (Space)
itch.io/jam/agdg-space-jam
Collab: pastebin.com/NEPv0pPC (embed)

Helpful Links: tools.aggydaggy.com/# (Still in beta)
New Threads: Archive: boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/agdg/

>Chats
steamcommunity.com/groups/vgamedevcrew
webchat.freenode.net/?channels=vidyadev

> Previous Demo Days
pastebin.com/Qi63yBxd (embed)

>Previous Jams
pastebin.com/hVhvNWLw (embed)

>Engines
GameMaker: yoyogames.com/gamemaker
Godot: godotengine.org/
Haxe: haxeflixel.com/
LÖVE: love2d.org/
UE4: unrealengine.com/what-is-unreal-engine-4
Unity: unity3d.com/

> Models/art/textures/sprites
opengameart.org/
blender-models.com/
mayang.com/textures/

>Free audio
machinimasound.com/
freesound.org/browse/
incompetech.com/music/
freemusicarchive.org/

Other urls found in this thread:

m.youtube.com/watch?v=pmNDAPjfSdk
youtube.com/watch?v=EbGvGWhtVNA&index=1&list=PLDsHIzUf2EiTflkz6yKFVykvRx-K2KK0y
steamcommunity
itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-9/rate/74917
itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-9/rate/75096
youtube.com/user/xGhostSnake/videos
hephaestus_rg.itch.io/infinite-destiny
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

help

stop making new threads so fast

whats the gameplay?

>DD9 is not over yet you know, there's still like 21 hours to submit games
>implying anyone is going to play a game submitted this late

you snooze you lose kiddo

good bye

I might do a stream or youtube reviews for the games, who knows.

I'll do it tomorrow at some point.

I will.

That would be great, we lost the streamer today. RIP

I think he's making an asset pack for landscapes

Ok, it looks pretty. Can you keep it looking pretty when you build a giant expansive world? Or is the whole world going to be grassland?

There's a reason indie games don't even try to approach this level of graphics. It's not that hard to get it working for one scene, but making a whole game like this is impossible solo (or else AAA studios would be shitting out tons of games instead of hiring 100 man teams).

Alternatively you need a game where you can get away with limited assets (like the DD Ace Combat game, where all you really need is a detailed sky/ground/planes).

Okay, this game is too fucking good.
Sound, gameplay, controls and art is all top notch!

I would almost say that you are too pro to be posting here.

However, googs is going to kill you because this is the most RNG-heavy game I have ever played.

gud progress

i would post my game but I'm too scared, i know you guys are super harsh
help me
I've been one of the bullies too
>pic related, fig. 1 agdg chew up a nodev

You are an autist.

>this is the most RNG-heavy game I have ever played.
Oh god.

thenks :)

post it and I'll tell you why it's shit

>t.salty nodevs

I'm working on an indie game, and somebody on /v/ told me to post it here. How can I make it better? Would you play it?
m.youtube.com/watch?v=pmNDAPjfSdk

Nevermind, I thought that was another forced dagger shop.

I don't really like streaming, I may just do youtube instead if thats cool with you guys.

Especially considering the sheer amount of games. It'll also let me compose my thoughts better and give better feedback.

Might be able to get it out on monday or something then/

borgress, kind of?

I really like the concept.
All I can say about making it better is to work on the presentation. Get some actual assets in there and then juice the shit out of it.

>not p for pause
FUGGED UB

>beni the bear

Huh I don't know what the other guy's problem is, but I just let my imagination go wild thinking about what a very "rng-heavy" game would look like.

I wasn't even complaining or anything.

It's both practice and free stuff for agdg to use. Either tomorrow or the day after, I'll upload the finished thing somewhere for AGDG to use. I'm most likely going to put it on the UE4 Marketplace for $5 as well.

I've got no idea how things will run for other people, and I'm excited to find out.

Looks neat but I probably wouldn't play it. I got a little motion sick just watching that video. Also, needs more weapons.

you're going to get bullied a bit, so I hope you have a thick skin

the gameplay mechanic (walking on walls / gravity / perspective changing) isn't super unique - a lot of people think of the idea when they start deving... but I don't think anyone has ever actually implemented it well, so if you nailed it you might have something special

you're also making what looks like an arena shooter - be warned that multiplayer indie games are 99% doomed to failure no matter how good they are just because the playerbase isn't big enough

the game also looks like a tech demo right now - do you have a plan for making the assets? can you model/texture/etc?

basically we've seen a lot of games like yours before, so we're a bit cynical

i hope you've got a trick up your sleeve

I'll grab it and swap out my trees and stuff when you do

;~;

we're already on to you

That was me last thread m8, this is his first time posting here.

>cubic blackhole

this intro cutscene was actually pretty funny

>outline effect doesn't work on this translucent material
shhhhiiieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet

inferno cop btfo

Let us shit all over your hard work and you won't feel so apprehensive going forward

refund sure is a good thing
not my game

I played so many demo games yesterday I went to bed and dreamed I kept playing new demos

I didn't dream of it yet, but I keep devving all day so when I go to bed all I can think of is devving

Where we're going, we don't need dimensions

Not really related to gamedev, but I feel like a missed opportunity was Twitch Plays Pokemon Go with a GPS spoofer. It seems harder than it looks, though, because you'll have to convert Google Maps to walkable/unwalkable tiles otherwise people can just walk over the ocean.

I think it's too late now though because the popularity will be gone within a month seeing as the game is so shallow.

Once I went to bed after devving late at night and I dreamed that I was still devving and adding the things I wanted to before I went to bed. Felt good.

That's a 75% download rate user, far above the idol game.

Don't give up!

really, demo day is a bit misleading for new devs... it's always dominated by a couple of celebrity games... not much you can do about it other than making a game that panders to /agdg/ or having a super complete/polished game

how did they download it without viewing it

You can download multiple times before closing the page.

It's actually a 133% ratio, that's even better!

You can share the download link I think

fix your game.

>Would you play it
No, but someone else might. However as already pointed out the models don't feel like they belong there. Make your own in a style that meshes with the level, doesn't need to be photorealistic humans, it could be some blocky figures or whatever instead.

Also, third person mode isn't needed. Switch to first person, this also reduces the demand for pretty and sparkly player models.

And finally the juice is lacking, it looks like you're throwing pool table balls at eachother, add some neon plasma balls, bright orange rockets and other impactful weapons.

I made a couple of videos where i play some of the demo day demos, so the devs can get some feedback.
Originally I wanted to play all of the demos but there are just so many of them this time around, plus i realized that some of the devs won't be even interested in me giving comments on their games in my broken whispery english while i play their demo.
So if you want me to play your demo just reply to this post with the name of your demo and i will try to do it.
This way if no one is interested i will at least save myself all of that work.

Here is the link to the first 5 games i did:
youtube.com/watch?v=EbGvGWhtVNA&index=1&list=PLDsHIzUf2EiTflkz6yKFVykvRx-K2KK0y
Disclaimer: I am shit at games so you can use it to make your game playable for the lowest common denominator ;_;
Also like i said above, my spoken english is shit so.. yeah.

your voice level is way too fucking low.

sweet I was hoping someone would do this

You need to crank up the volume, my microphone is shit and i can't really record any louder without massive crackling noise. I recorded the games with the sound turned low, so that your ears won't explode if you put the volume up.

good to see someone is as bad as I am at that idol game

Good work user! No need to be so worried about your voice/playing - just the fact that you're making videos is huge.

so then you fucking edit the video's master volume instead of making every viewer do it

>steamcommunity com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=717945001

Can you do that on youtube? This is literally the first time i used it for video upload. If you can tell me where, i will do it.

Bunnydev here, thanks a lot for doing this.

What are you doing this in?

if you're not running on a toaster I'd definitely watch whatever you had to say about itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-9/rate/74917

it is not as "focused" as those other games you played though. it is more like just showing off all the features I implemented so far

which game was yours? i don't see any bunnies

what is this shit?

Ok, adding it to the list.

a fanmade sequel to half-life, he started a 100k indiegogo campaign too

Idol Comm@nder. Since the protagonist is a bunny girl, some user have been calling me bunnydev.

Also Bokube has a bunny MC as well

the dance simulator one, the girl is named bunny i think

Its up! Enjoy. I will be making an update to this demo based on the first wave of feedback.

itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-9/rate/75096

that's me hello bunnydev

>where's boku?

What a fucking hero.

Whodev?

>Also Bokube has a bunny MC as well
I'll start calling you cunnydev then, to avoid confusion.

tfw I did this for all games but then I lost all the recorded video because I'm retarded

okay figured it out

you take the normal n by v⃗ ⨯ x⃗, then take the sign of n from the sum of its components, multiply the sign into the magnitude of n, and do

atan2(||n|| * sign, v · x)

then map the negative parts into positive by 2pi

Is that spacejam collab pastebin still taking emails? If so, are musicguys allowed or is it just artists and programmers?

You're baka.

>if you know art but no programming you can make a good looking game that will probably sell well
>if you know programming but no art you can make an ugly game that's functionally no different from a game maker game
>mfw I'm the latter

Please don't.

Is this some reverse psychology I see, cunnydev?

Some options:
>get an artbro
>learn art
>get better at programming so you can make something functionally superior to a game maker game

you can program advanced mechanics that artfags can't wrap their heads around, and substitute good art for advanced effects and procedural generation

so learn art as well you lazy ass, like a true 1ma

>if you know programming but no art you can make an ugly game that's functionally no different from a game maker game
You're completely shit at programming then. I can make games functionality better than any Game Maker game yet I'm an artfag.

>if you can program well you can make a bug free game that can be expanded into extreme depth without running into game-ending performance problems and/or bug problems
fixed that for you

> functionally no different from a game maker game
whats stopping you from using gamemaker, and using your code skills inside that engine?

Where are your games then? Go on.

poor guy, probably a 13 year old autist who doesn't know better.

youtube.com/user/xGhostSnake/videos

In Unity, what should I write instead of "cameraTransform = Camera.main.transform;" if I want to use more than 1 camera?

just make a variable "public Camera muhCamera" and then assign it in the Inspector, then use "muhCameraTransform = muhCamera.transform"

Artbros often feel like you feel but in reverse. You either get competent at both, team up with someone, or make crap games.

There are plenty of games that have been very successful with simple art. There are plenty of assets for sale you can buy for your game, too.

Stop making excuses

if you want to get serious commision art like the guy who made gratuitous space battles did

Just finished my 'game of the night'

i'm not really satisfied with the end product, but i learned a lot about bounds in unity

play it here, it's a quick game:

hephaestus_rg.itch.io/infinite-destiny

this is game #6 in a series of 'nightly game jams' i'm doing.

if you guys want to join in just swing by the agdg thread around 6 pacific time, and join in.

Vampiredev here. Thanks for the vid and feedback. Well, you are still better than me at Idol Comm@nder