/rlg/ - Roguelike General

Alex Smith and Patric Mueller have joined the Nethack dev team: nethack.org/#News
Expect great things when the next release comes out in 2032.

Pochengband 5.0.0 Comp (Until July 28):
Sexy Draconian Monk
angband.oook.cz/competition.php

Infra Arcana 18.2 released: sites.google.com/site/infraarcana/downloads
Release Notes: raw.githubusercontent.com/martin-tornqvist/ia/v18.2/assets/release_history.txt

New Demon Release introduces Relic upgrades: demon.ferretdev.org/devblog/71-upgrade-complete/

Poschengband 5.0.0 released:
angband.oook.cz/forum/showpost.php?p=111423&postcount=233

>FAQ and What to Play
FAQ: pastebin.com/Q7K91Q34
What to Play?: pastebin.com/yfUKx35f

>Webterminal
Rogue Nexus – Cataclysm online with shared map and tons of other roguelikes in a simple online package! (USA Only)
roguenex.us

>Individual Game Pastas
pastebin.com/pkf1qnuZ

Previous thread:

THICC ANT THIGHS

>Expect great things when the next release comes out in 2032.

Needs more Kobold

kobolds are dogs

kobolds are lizards

>Strong ant wrists
YES

TRJ is easy!
Didn't even take damage!

kobolds are dogs

kobolds are lizards

Kobolds are dog lizards.

The DCSS kobold description literally says they look like dogs.

From this we can conclude that australians are weird.

kobolds are dogs

get the fuck out

Would y'all play a game that looked like this? Currently feeling out UI stuff, wanna make a game that both is fun and looks good. Also, what should I do about the blank space between the player/target shit and the viewport and log window?

Why/How do I affect these extra terminal windows in poschengband?

I'd rather have rat kobolds than dog kobolds

I was planning on FDA since frostbite covers the -rC, but with this I'm not sure anymore. Thoughts?

>Ant
>No lajatang

This is a kobold.

Only in D&D. In good-quality cultural products they're dogs.

=W sets window flags, what shows up in each one. You can edit the font size and type from the "Window" menu (unless you're running native on linux then good luck with your command line). You'll also need to enable visibility for however many you want to use, also in the same menu.

Depends, the map view is kind of small. I don't think the player and target windows should be bigger than the actual map.

Is this a homebrew engine

Never thought I'd see Grimgar here

They're lizards
Has there been any statement about a second season?

Read the pasta.

Gamefield should take up as much room as is physically possible.

The log doesn't need to be more than 3 to 6 lines depending on width. Just add a hotkey to view the log in depth and only keep enough room in the visible log to account for one or two turns of action.

Player does NOT need to be anywhere near that big. Nor does target. You can condense both of those by only putting relevant information. Target for example could be as small as name(color to indicate injury-ness) and glyph/sprite it shows on the gamefield.

>what do with all the space?
Make the gamefield bigger.

Lower skill requirement than FDA, maybe keep one for zot but the plate is great

God damn son you are using that for sure.

make player window much smaller as well as target window

make the gamefield way bigger (even if that means reducing log size a bit)

>reptile
>breasts

I would rather have ascii, or ascii tiles, than graphical tiles that tiny.

any layout suggestions?

>fantasy creature female
>not having breasts

The viewport area is small, but it's 49x38 characters, which is really, really big in terms of view distance and stuff, assuming the player is always in the middle of the viewport.

All of the subwindows and UI elements are tentative, so by no means set-in-stone, and I've structured the "engine" in such a way that all of the UI (and, indeed, quite a large portion of the game itself) is defined in config files, so you can edit them while the game is running and other cool shit like that.

It started out as a project to see what I could do with Libtcod, but it's turning into a full-fledged engine pretty quickly.

>Gamefield should take up as much room as is physically possible.
gotcha

>The log doesn't need to be more than 3 to 6 lines depending on width
I'll take that under advisement. The way things are set up now, it's really easy to create virtual subwindows, so I might make it so that you have a sort of mini-log where the big one is now, and if you hit a key, a full-size like 50x50 log window pops up in the middle of the screen.

Technically, they are ASCII tiles. I've modified a few of them, but everything else is bitmap font, similar to what IA does (did?)

I like having inventory, messages, monster list, and object list showing but I also have a huge screen. A lot of people like having a monster recall window open but I'm not sure how well that would work with the new recall layout in 5.0.

I usually do something like this.

so how do I eat oil as an Android? I tried the normal command and it did nothing.

This is what it looks like.

Androids eat oil so try 'F'ueling yourself maybe.

updated

What's "monster recall"?

much much much better

Much better. Monster recall shows all the info you know about the current/most recently targeted monster.

Change 'target' to 'visible enemies'

Unless you intend to do something with the space between log and target, just extend it all the way to the end.

How much of a player's info needs to be visible at all times? I'd just put cur_hp, cur_mana, and status effects. Only thing that should be on screen there are resources that can change within the context of an encounter. No reason to have things like Name/Class/Level taking up screen real estate when you'll likely have a '@' screen anyway.

>actual separate windows for each kind of information

What were they thinking?

Are you actually using Song of Slaying?

Appealing to people who have multiple Monitors.

I mean PCB is autism incarnate why not enable that autism in the best way possible. Having seperate windows means they can be organized every which way.

Customization probably. It's much easier than a method for tweaking interface elements within a single window I bet.

In the player subwindow, I'd like to draw the player's health, mana, and rage (if applicable) bars, as well as name and maybe stats and statuses.

>Tzeentch is my chaos diety
>suddenly decides to turn me to stone on Stronhold Lv.2
>I'm chewed on by a rat until I'm dead from 52hp
What the fuck?

>health, mana, (resource)
All good.

>name, and stats
Unless there are monsters that can change either of these, it's a waste of space. It's not something the player needs to know while bumping a baddy. Save them for the character details screen.

>statuses
Also fine since these come and go throughout fights.

The only things that should be visible at all times are what the character sees and what can be modified during combat. Everything else should be hidden until they need to be inspected.

>what should I do about the blank space
just make the viewport+log wider, unless you have some weird specific reason to keep them square

Yeah. It's working great actually. I'm quite chuffed about it.

having a viewport way wider than the view distance is fine as long as it's not actually bigger than the entire level map

I prefer kobolds as reptilian dragon-worshipers senpai desu. It makes them more interesting.

just quaff it like any other potion

man i should probably play with inventory visible but i don't

maybe it would make me actually use potions of heroism or scrolls of blessing early on

i'll probably change my layout anyways whenever i update to pcb5 because of the new recall

Dragon fuckers too if they could get away with it.

>The dragon fucker user was a kobold all along

They're lizards with dog shaped heads which just means they have a head shaped like a komodo dragon.

>enjoying low-quality, not well thought out fantasy
I bet you shave your neck (or don't need to), you philistine

>Arguing about dog or lizard kobolds
>Breast or no breast on literally anything that can have tits
Next we'll be arguing about dragon or wyvern.

Dog or lizard is a matter of opinion.
Tits on lizards or even on dogs is objectively retarded, like katanas cutting plate armor.

dogs have teats they're fucking mammals you luddite

>tfw Incursion's development is dead again

Have you ever seen a female dog?
SPOILERS: They don't have massive sacks of fat hanging from their upper body.

>rlg education
Here's your reply.

>kill boris
>he comes back
>bribe branch, he joins up
>he dies
>comes back again
>kill him again

they got nips mate
have you ever owned a female dog

>smaller
>sped up
>larger file size
baka senpai desu

They are tits, they just don't look like female human tits.

The debate of the millenium.

what if kobolds are both

and each kobold is a slightly different ratio of dog to lizard

they could have a caste system based on how dog like or lizard like they are.

yeah
i need to go to bed

All there people complaining about Kobold tits and I'm sitting here playing Elona and doing horrible horrible things.

/rlg/ - hot kobold on kobold action

>and each kobold is a slightly different ratio of dog to lizard
God damn it

Kobolds are for slaying, not for lewd.

I slay kobolds with my dick. Does that count as lewd?

Cutebolds are for cutes, not for lewds. Just like lolis

Maybe if you're an elf.

>that was rather dishonourable
>stop you brute!
This virtue shit confuses me.

>he doesn't have the Sonja x Pikel rape/murder comic on this hard drive

don't take to me or my slaves ever again

>What a noble sacrifice!

>Nipples
Enjoy your fucking ban, retard.

You know what else has nips?
You.
Do you draw self with massive tits?

yeah

Do virtues actually do anything other than bloat my message log?

They confer stat bonuses but honestly you can turn them off and not miss much unless you want the challenge of a true min/max run.

Of course they also provide a level of sarcasm to everything you do.

>The thief teleports away laughing
>What a noble Sacrifice!
>The hydra hits you with a devastating blow
>You stand your Ground
>What a noble Sacrifice!
>You have died...

Most noticeable is that certain ones change which monsters are friendly, like some undead are friendly if you have high unlife virture or whether your alignment is evil or good.

Plus they give silly messages.

not so fast

That picture is awesome, but lets be perfectly honest, it could be cooler.
>Not three arms holding shields and 1 arm with a spear
>Not becoming the Phalanx
>Not Dual Triple Swords
>Not One shield and 3 rapiers
THERE'S SO MUCH THAT CAN BE DONE I FUCKING LOVE FORMICIDS HOLY SHIT

>one shield and three rapiers
>not four rapiers for maximum poke

>no unrand quadruple sword

>Not being a responsible antman with a large shield and a lajatang so he can spend all his exp on better stuff
Shame shame shame

>Not 4 Electric Demon Whips 9+
>Not 4 Quick blades of different elements

Psh.
>Not being a complete fucking tank and using a large shield and an executioners axe

I bet you invest points into strength and buy lottery tickets. This is why you'll never get anywhere, Chad. You always think of "what wuld be teh coolest, BREH?" instead of "What would be the most optimal choice?"

wait, Formicids don't have rPois- anymore?

They can't throw ruks either.

Strength is a good investment now.

>not wielding one stave of each of the primary elements