Don't know where else to go for advice about this, I figured since it's career related this is the best place to go

Don't know where else to go for advice about this, I figured since it's career related this is the best place to go.

If an 18 year old kid gets a ticket for possession of a minute amount of marijuana, when asked about criminal past in a job interview, will this be detrimental to his being hired or not 4 years down the line trying to start a career somewhere? Assuming marijuana is most likely legal in the US across all states in 4 years and when they're out of school and looking for a job.

pls respond

Other urls found in this thread:

sec.gov/litigation/opinions/2008/34-59137.pdf
finra.org/sites/default/files/NACDecision/p037693.pdf
ncbex.org/assets/media_files/Bar-Examiner/articles/2011/800311Schuwerk.pdf
nfa.futures.org/nfa-faqs/registration_faqs/disciplinary-information/index.HTML#q7
insurance.ca.gov/0200-industry/0035-background-info/background-faq.cfm
vondranlegal.com/failure-to-disclose-criminal-conviction-on-real-estate-license-application/
cslb.ca.gov/Resources/FormsAndApplications/AppReportNewCorpOfficer.pdf
nremt.org/nremt/about/policy_felony.asp
www2.nycbar.org/pdf/report/Labor_reentry_pamphlet_employees09.pdf
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

You're fucked for life junkie. Enjoy your menial jobs career.

You're not going to have problems for a ticket. You should only tell about penal crimes (things which make you go in font of a judge and to jail)
Now, stop doing drugs if you're so concerned of their legal consequences, kid. Or at least be smart and try to not get caught.

it's so fun to see retarded weed fags finally waking up two decades after high school

Hippie piece of shit I worked with at a shitty job in the past got a huge settlement because his parent died... he got like $250k and blew it all on weed and shitty partying for over 17 years. Absolutely nothing else even the smallest house. He was the biggest privacy shit and would literally just bring it up for no reason, he was that pissed off about it all the time. I found out why.

When he was 15 he tried to rob an ATM and also in the past 5 years he had dealt cocaine. been fired from every job for this reason, he always tried to hide it from them but eventually each one found out. This is all after his blown settlement on fucking weed. Somehow he was childhood friends with the owner and this is the only job he's ever going to get and of course he was fucking that up on a daily basis too, so when the business goes under mostly due to his complete inability to manage he's going to be so completely fucked. Left that shithole after a few months once I got a better offer. I'm no king myself but my 45 year old uncle is exactly like this, he's still making $10 an hour and has a massive police record.

Most jobs don't do background checks to save money.

Depends on the question and the relevant statute.

Is it considered a misdemeanor that you were found guilty of? Then, if asked if you have "ever been convicted of a crime," then yes, you have to disclose it. If it's considered some sort of administrative infraction and the question asks for felonies or misdemeanors, maybe not. If you can get it expunged on good behavior, then you don't have to report it regardless of the classification. The latter is probably your best option if you are concerned - call up the clerk of court and ask them what your options are.

>Assuming marijuana is most likely legal in the US across all states in 4 years and when they're out of school and looking for a job.
Irrelevant. If you commit a crime and it subsequently becomes legal to do that thing, you still committed a crime in the past.

>You should only tell about penal crimes (things which make you go in font of a judge and to jail)
Incorrect. I have no idea where you got the classification "penal crimes" from, as I've never seen that in any state criminal code. All criminal law is penal law.

>if asked if you have "ever been convicted of a crime," then yes, you have to disclose it.
this is incorrect.

employers have a right to know about felony convictions, nothing more. If they need more detail they'll order a background check, because who's going to trust a criminal to disclose their record anyways?

>employers have a right to know about felony convictions, nothing more
[Citation Needed]. Stop making stuff up because you don't like the result.

There are a variety of programs that affect disclosure - again, expunging your record is a good example - and some states provide various limitations on what employers may consider based on time periods, the nature of the offense, the age of the offender, etc. That said, what you are saying is not applicable across the 50 states. The broadly correct statement of the law is simple: you answer what you are asked, and if you lie, they can seek remedies against you (whatever those might actually end up being is a different story).

>[Citation Needed].
sorry, you're going to have to google that one on your own.

I know because I'm a federal contractor governed by laws regarding hiring felons, not people who've committed misdemeanors.

everyone has a misdemeanor or two on their record. Nobody cares and you're not required to tell anyone about it.

unless you're seeking security clearance, and then you won't have to tell them because they'll already know.

>Federal contractor
And I'm a lawyer, the only one who has actually studied the law. And, again, you are wrong. I'm sure *your* little glorified construction company doesn't care, but a lot of different organizations do. How about some examples?:

The SEC:
sec.gov/litigation/opinions/2008/34-59137.pdf

Or FINRA (same dude lol):
finra.org/sites/default/files/NACDecision/p037693.pdf

The bar exam (this is an issue of contention, of course):
ncbex.org/assets/media_files/Bar-Examiner/articles/2011/800311Schuwerk.pdf

How about the National Futures Association?
nfa.futures.org/nfa-faqs/registration_faqs/disciplinary-information/index.HTML#q7

How about insurance licenses?
insurance.ca.gov/0200-industry/0035-background-info/background-faq.cfm

How about real estate licenses, under certain circumstances?
vondranlegal.com/failure-to-disclose-criminal-conviction-on-real-estate-license-application/

How about a contractor's license?
cslb.ca.gov/Resources/FormsAndApplications/AppReportNewCorpOfficer.pdf

How about EMTs?
nremt.org/nremt/about/policy_felony.asp

Hell, us real lawyers authorized to talk about the law even make these cool little pamphlets explicitly telling people to disclose misdemeanors:
www2.nycbar.org/pdf/report/Labor_reentry_pamphlet_employees09.pdf

>California
yeah.

I'll give you that. In the Soviet State of Cali you're probably right.

also, it's a pleasure to meet you. I'm new to the board and this is my first interaction with the resident tripfag.

you're a dick, and not a particularly knowledgeable one as far as I can see.

I see ad homs don't get an immediate response from you, and I plan on adding you to my filter list tomorrow, so I'll give you a chance to think about this:

does citing specific examples of employers that ask for misdemeanors prove that you have to list misdemeanors when the employer doesn't ask for them?

>does citing specific examples of employers that ask for misdemeanors prove that you have to list misdemeanors when the employer doesn't ask for them?
I'll go ahead and answer that for you.

no, it doesn't.
It demonstrates the opposite- if an employer wants to know about your misdemeanor record they will say so.

You're garbage, kill yourself. Why are you still here?

Bro you just got fucking told. I would stop posting and call it a day.

kys you are a fucking pleb if you disclose a misdemeanor.

great job govong shit advice out here

Yep, played out EXACTLY like my retarded weed fag loser coworker. I don't mean to sound old or anything, but you fucking turds literally live the last two thirds of your lives blaming other people or things in the most hilarious ways. It's not the fact that you did weed, it's the fact that you as an employer shouldn't have access to that information. That's what my stupid hippie friend was all about, "new information", he was into that new age shit about everyone getting "new information" but of course when it comes to his felonies, he contested a previous job if they should have access to his "information" showing that he did the crime. Worked for a few months but they fired him later on because they circumvented it. Again, it wasn't because he broke into an ATM, it was because THEY got access to the fact that he broke into an ATM. Hippies and weedfaggots are the most entitled shits, you're all literally exactly alike.

Maybe you should calm down.
Have a bowl or something.

Things he told me:
1. Some employers want to know what misdemeanors you've done.
2. When they want that they'll tell you explicitly.
3. He's a lawyer.

Things he didn't tell me:
1. All employers want to know what misdemeanors you've done.
2. You're required to tell them even if they don't ask.
3. He's a lawyer.

you are going to have a rough ride. clearly have no idea what you are talking about.

No. You probably only received an ordinance violation which doesn't mean anything to anybody other than your town's police records. Keep your mouth shut, don't say shit to employers. Chances are it wont show up or they won't care if its not a serious misdemeanor, or a felony.

This