/agdg/ - Amateur Game Dev General

Cute anime girls edition.

Demo Day 9 added to pastebin.

> Current Game Jam (Space)
itch.io/jam/agdg-space-jam

> Next Demo Day (X)
itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-10

Helpful Links: tools.aggydaggy.com/# (Still in beta)
New Threads: Archive: boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/agdg/

> Chats
steamcommunity.com/groups/vgamedevcrew
webchat.freenode.net/?channels=vidyadev

> Previous Demo Days
pastebin.com/X6fLvtzA

> Previous Jams
pastebin.com/hVhvNWLw

> Engines
GameMaker: yoyogames.com/gamemaker
Godot: godotengine.org/
Haxe: haxeflixel.com/
LÖVE: love2d.org/
UE4: unrealengine.com/what-is-unreal-engine-4
Unity: unity3d.com/

> Models/art/textures/sprites
opengameart.org/
blender-models.com/
mayang.com/textures/

> Free audio
machinimasound.com/
freesound.org/browse/
incompetech.com/music/
freemusicarchive.org/

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=SF-BCPtb_GM
clyp.it/4sjxuou5
github.com/chrislgarry/Apollo-11
strawpoll.me/10774946
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

niggers

Can anyone give me a ballpark estimate of how much it would cost to get lewd sprites made for my roguelike?

youtube.com/watch?v=SF-BCPtb_GM

Your dignity.

See

$700 USD + gratuity

How many niggers would it cost though?

my dignity isnt worth anything though

I have a working prototype and maybe 1/2 a vertical slice
My site sucks but its functional
I also have a twitter and tumblr

What do I do next?

Work on the other half.

How many sprites are we talking about here?

make a game, instead of tumblring all day.

But what's the purpose of the physical product? Couldn't people just create tiles/characters using the app?

Kinda cool

what if functions could return 2 types

Is it too late for me to join a team?

Are you familiar with unity's LLAPI for networking. I need a programmer to finish the multiplayer for my game. I'll pay for the work

Ever heard of lua bud?

I can program but i've never touched unitys networking stuff sorry

what kind of multiplayer exactly? Online coop?

how do i create a "check if key is pressed" state in playmaker? the GetKeyDown input only checks the instant when the key is pressed down.

i have a key activate an infinite loop, i'd like the loop to only circulate while the key is pressed and when it is released transitions to the start again. i don't know anything about bool values.

Opinions /agdg/? I tried to make it like Metal Slug or megaman.
clyp.it/4sjxuou5

It's for this game; each player controls one ship and they're on two teams.

a spell that SENDS YOUR WAND FLYING AND TURNS IT INTO A BURNING DEATH BOLT but you lose your wand

a spell that forces your enemy to SIT DOWN PERMANENTLY

a spell that INVERTS THE GRAVITY OF THE BLOOD OF THE ENEMY, causing him to FUCKING FAINT

a spell that TURNS THE SKIN OF YOUR ENEMY INTO SPECTACULAR PLASMA that cooks his body EVENLY

a spell that sends PROGRESSIVELY LESS COMFY PILLOWS flying at your enemy every time its cast, eventually sending REALLY DANGEROUS COUCH DECORATIONS at literal breakneck speeds

a spell that CAUSES THE VOCAL CORDS AND EAR DRUMS OF YOUR ENEMY TO CHANGE PLACES, making him deaf and mute and also suffocating him

a spell that OPENS THE MAIN MENU

a spell that BREAKS OPEN THE ENEMY'S BODY and forces his skeleton to GO ON WITHOUT HIM

a spell that OPENS A PORTAL TO THE DIMENSION JUST NEXT DOOR, where you can sidestep into a universe that is essentially the same and fight yourself

a spell that turns the ground into IMPOSSIBLY SLIPPERY ICE, which is so slippery it accelerates things to RELATIVISTIC SPEEDS

a spell that causes FUSION JAZZ to play in the head of the enemy permanently, disorienting him and DECREASING HIS MANA BY 50

>an online binding of isaac-style roguelite where you have spells, staves, wands, robes, hats all in this ridiculous style
>each dungeon floor you're put in along with 3-4 other players in opposite ends of the labyrinth
>the players FFA until the last man standing, who goes to face the boss and the next dungeon level

How to use trello for games?
I want to use something that let's me write down ideas/tasks for my game while on my phone, and then be able to go deeper into them when I'm on my pc... what do you guys use?

I like to use a plugin for ToDo lists in sublime text (plain tasks I think) because I like the freedom of just sorting things out the way I like and adding any type of category at the front of a text like [engine] [quick] [version 0.1] and shit like that.

Also, do you guys use something special for bug reports? should I just try to use something like that for a "todo + ideas" thing?

I don't know if I will like trello in the long run.

Which engine would you use for anything 2D?

Gamemaker.

> for 2D
unity > game maker > godot > monogame> unreal
In that order. Maybe in the future godot will be better
And maybe unreal will wake up and care a bit more about 2D too

Are you memeing right? why would you suggest unity?

are you experienced?
love>monogame>godot>gamemaker

do you not know what the fuck you're doing but you know coding?
gamemaker>love>monogame>godot

do you not know what the everlasting fuck you're doing?
bloxels

> why would you suggest the most common 2D game engine?
because it has more support than all the other stuff listed combined. I hate it too, but it's still what should be recommended

>unity above gamemaker for 2d

/agdg/ has really degenerated into shitposting now hasn't it?

> non-ironically using gamemaker
> on a real project
> sheeple

It's summer and shit/source/senpai posters are back, what did you expect?

I don't even use gamemaker, user. Just didn't want any lurkers to be misled into thinking unity is a sane choice for 2d when GM or any other 2D framework exists.

Fuck

I'm going to have to scale down my project and go with an isometric tile based system if I am ever to realise my game

This sucks

a spell that binds the enemy to you, making him walk in the SAME DIRECTION AS YOU

a spell that ENCHANTS AN OBJECT to be ABSOLUTELY FROZEN IN TIME, letting you step on it etc

a spell that makes the ground MOVE TOWARDS THE ENEMY VIOLENTLY, causing him to fall over (probably you too)

a spell that explodes your wizard robes into fine threads that CAPTURE THE ENEMY but now you're naked

a spell that summons GUN

a spell that causes plants to grow REALLY FUCKING FAST, as in you can make grass under the enemy grow fast enough to PIERCE HIS BODY

a spell that creates a rune on the ground to which you can teleport FROM ANYWHERE

a spell that shocks the enemy with a KIND OF WEAK LIGHTNING BOLT, causing him to slip up and CAST THE WRONG SPELLS

a spell that PIXELLATES THE ENEMY, turning his limbs into 1-PIXEL THICK STICKS, forcing him to drop any heavy gear (if he's wearing armor his legs snap in half)

>a spell that creates spells

What were you looking to do?

Space exploration game, like a mix between KSP and BASPM. No physics simulation or flight controls, but a 3D game world.

>no physics simulation or flight controls
are you going to have detailed simulation in some other area then

Space jam progress!

Oops, forgot webm.

Lookin' pretty Outer Wilds there.
Which is fine by me.

Yeah, realistic astrodynamics and hardware and stuff, mixed with more realistic management sim aspect. That, combined with a bunch of high poly hardware and places is not a one man project. Maybe I could do something like Big Pharma in terms of graphics style.

what is this, some kind of space sandbox game? adventure?

No-no, sandbox is too much out of scope for me. The goal is to build a rocket from random parts on the planet. Kinda like melt some iron, gather some shit, use a duct tape to connect all parts, etc.
Thanks, hope I'll finish before their release huh.

>trying to come up with your pen name
>parents want you to use a combo you don't feel
>hate your first name in general
>choosing a different first name feels stupid

Time to die.

that's when you make your pen name user of [hometown] [two or three roman numerals]

just wrapping up a quick tic tac toe game to keep the streak going.

Ha. Thanks for the laugh. I like that my first name starts with N, but unisex names that start with N are pretty much nonexistent.

careful there buddy, the copy right holder of tic tac toe will come after you

neon ard o'pec à prio

yw

>Unixes names
America sure is a weird place.

Why do your games always have shitty memes in them?

Nigger
yw

my stock art folder is all chat emotes

saves time and lends some thematic consistency

Nick, Noa, Neo, Neslie are androgynous

I should have expected this.

Nick? Really? I've never met a female Nick.

>Game set in the mindscape
>Factions are Impulse, Discipline, Altruism, Selfishness
I really suck at coming up with themes. I'm a mechanics first guy. Is this too dumb?

>mfw bug in my tic tac toe game

i'm just gonna go to sleep right now, nothing good will come of this.

how

Does Code::Blocks have a version of Nuget? I've been spoilt by Visual Studio doing libraries for me. It seems like it would be even more useful for a cross-platform IDE as well.

how humiliating

Nick as in a nickname for someone maybe named Nicole

most names derived from important persons have female forms

if (Input.GetKey("your key here")

What kind of weird country do you come from where there aren't at least a few unisex names?

github.com/chrislgarry/Apollo-11

This is literally what enginedevs do

>tfw your longtime penname has the name of a copyrighted character
Wish I'd thought of this problem when I was 12. Now it's hard to think of a new, fitting one at all.

Which game should I complete? A or B ?

strawpoll.me/10774946

A) Multiplayer side scroller (See thumbnail)

neither both are shit. Kill youareself.

# There was a big emphasis on reusability of the code in the original project,
# apparently, but this reusability took the form of inserting your deck of
# punch-cards at the appropriate position in somebody else's deck of punch-cards.
# (Actually, I think the card-decks were turned into tape libraries, and the modules
# were mixed-and-matched from the tape libraries, but the principle is the same.)
# So, indeed, the method of file-inclusion is a very fair representation of the
# methods used in the original development ... with the improvement, of course,
# that you no longer have to worry about dropping the card deck.

B) Multiplayer RTS (see thumbnail)

When put in this situation, I start with the game element as set in stone. So, the number four. I then think of all classic combinations using the number four. The four elements. The four seasons. The four horsemen of the apocalypse. The four basic colors.

If that fails to yield anything appropriate, I do "research." As in, I type things into Google and see what comes up relating to the theme. So, we're in the mindscape? I immediately think, war between different kinds of thinking, like Logic versus Emotion. I also think, war between different emotions. Maybe you want to get technical and pick out actual sections of the brain for each faction, to give each faction some multi-faceted depth based on the function that part of the brain does. You could get even smaller and look up how thoughts work, or emotions, or whatever, take your pick, and name the factions based on the different parts that make up those. Or maybe you want to get sleep-based, pick out different kinds of waves.

If all else fails, just make it about the horsemen of the apocalypse invading the mindscape, and you have to defeat them all to save the person from going to Hell or something. Idk.

>when you mix juices with bugs
what did he mean by this

B, clearly, it looks much cooler. It also seems like a more interesting challenge.

Definitely B, looks like a more interesting version of DEFCON

I'm a little bit skeptical about multiplayer only indie games. Of course, have some LAN or Internet, COOP or death match play modes, but having only these I don't think is a good thing. Of course it's fun and challenging to implement, but I'm not sure it worth the effort if you are doing it seriously.

If we are talking about local, split screen multiplayer, that's another thing.

So if you really want to force multiplayer, the question is, which one would you like to have?

In case of the RTS, the LAN/Internet option is better. For the side scroller a split screen (or one screen) option may be more fitting.

>screencastify lite
just download OBS

>If we are talking about local, split screen multiplayer, that's another thing.
That's what actually bothered me the most about Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime: couch co-op only. Maybe they didn't want to deal with networking, or maybe it went against their "vision" of the game, but playing with friends that live far away would have been nice.

>get orbs brushes, they'll very useful, I swear
>the only brush you and up using is orbs_cracks, that is free
fuck you, roger

>Breeding season fail
Hola amigo, there's still market open for hentai game. Anyone wanna collaborate to do one?

Is it okay to make game using winform and picture boxes?

what skills do you bring to my company

I'll do the programming if you do the art.

>people with absolutely no experience with programming wants to make mmorpg with huge procedurally generated openworld and advanced crafting system as their first game
What the fuck is wrong with these people?

making the same pong and breakout and top down shooters is fucking tiring

Why wouldn't it.

I'm going to make a dating simulator featuring all of the girl /agdg/ game characters.

What should each character's gimmick be?

xXxSonicxXx is that you?

Animating and applying animation frames is so much harder than I thought

Can someone link me an article about this Breeding season fiasco?

The sprites on the wiki is nice, tho. Will they open source the art, like Glitch did?

Tutorial on how to render 2d sprites from 3d meshes please and thank you

keyframes

you're getting a A cease and desist
you can count on it