/agdg/ - Amateur Game Dev General

Good Ideas Edition

Demo Day 9 added to pastebin.

> Current Game Jam (Space)
itch.io/jam/agdg-space-jam

> Next Demo Day (X)
itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-10

Helpful Links: tools.aggydaggy.com/# (Still in beta)
New Threads: Archive: boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/agdg/

> Chats
steamcommunity.com/groups/vgamedevcrew
webchat.freenode.net/?channels=vidyadev

> Previous Demo Days
pastebin.com/X6fLvtzA

> Previous Jams
pastebin.com/hVhvNWLw

> Engines
GameMaker: yoyogames.com/gamemaker
Godot: godotengine.org/
Haxe: haxeflixel.com/
LÖVE: love2d.org/
UE4: unrealengine.com/what-is-unreal-engine-4
Unity: unity3d.com/

> Models/art/textures/sprites
opengameart.org/
blender-models.com/
mayang.com/textures/

> Free audio
machinimasound.com/
freesound.org/browse/
incompetech.com/music/
freemusicarchive.org/

Other urls found in this thread:

webmshare.com/JALRW
laburatory.itch.io/lgd
clyp.it/3wihafcg
vndb.org/g21
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

nth for remember to stretch every now and then to keep them youthful joints

is Photon still the best choice for a simple multiplayer game with Unity?

Gonna second this. I hurt my wrist pretty bad and the past week or so has been a living hell where I can't make any progress.

Nth for reminder to sit up straight

never

>tfw completely hunched over again

My back's going to die by the time I hit 40.

bad posture kills your looks, then your health, then you.
if you're dead you probably can't yesdev.
keep that back straight.

>he doesn't sit like this

my monitor is too low

That nose...

>tfw i sometimes prop my legs up on the table missionary style
it's strange what asset grinds do to a man

> looks
don't care

> health
already killed

> you
implying you wanna live long enough to get old

Then make it higher.

fuck I actually do this sometimes when im super tired

but user, its a laptop

Give me one good reason not to use SharpDX to write my own DX12 engine in C#.

stack books

I already stacked it on top of one thing, if I do another it might become unstable

Where's the recap?

Where's the progress?

Where are all the yesdevs?

hello i am a yesdec

that would leave the keyboard at nipple height, thats no good either

Just buy a stand senpai.

If you had the talent, would you add 10/10 QT to your game?

Is this progress?
webmshare.com/JALRW

marinette is NOT 10/10

I'm working on boring data structures so there's nothing to show.

Get a separate keyboard.

You'll feel stupid for about an hour, and then you'll get it set up and wonder why you didn't do this sooner.

for me she is perfect score

For those of you who don't play VNs, what type of additional gameplay element would possibly get you interested in playing a VN?

Because it's like, really hard, you know?

Anything that doesn't make it a VN.

golem get ye gone

how goes deving loli-kun?
I missed your posts.

If you give it gameplay, wouldn't that make it cease to be a VN? It'd just be a regular game with story.

3d or 2d animated sexual scenes

>Lovecraftian rail shooter
>hardboiled detective JRPG
>timed puzzle game symbolizing martial arts duels
I dunno if you can pull this off user

Does it? I don't know much about VNs so I don't know. For instance, would you consider VA11-HALL-A a VN?

save the date is a vn without a vn vibe, though it's just a meta narrative exploration. idk if that would work beyond proof of concept.

just get the microsoft ergo or comfort curve keyboard

choices.

XCOM, but you recruit magical girls to fight off monsters. le deconstruction and SUFFERING optional.

If it has gameplay, it's a game. Kind of like how if it has pages that you turn, it's a book. A visual novel is electronic, it's interactive, it has graphics and sounds and music and save/load mechanics, but it doesn't have gameplay. That's the whole reason the term "visual novel" exists: It isn't a game.

How do I draw?

It seems whenever I ask this question, one person shouts "loomis!", another shouts, "Loomis a shit!", and a third tells me to kill myself and the fourth just posts those infuriating pepe memes.

The main problem is I don't know where to start. It seems in order to draw, even the most cartoonish of things, you must have mastery of an innumerable amount of things.

Is this a good schedule? I was thinking of devoting perhaps two to four weeks per subject, then starting all over again until I git gud.

I hope for some actual helpful replies to this post, but I fear I may just be accused of being a cuck, a tumblr or whatever the dank boogieman is nowadays.

Pick related; the schedule.

Not him, but some VN have small minigames trow in there to spice it up a little.
Reine des Fleurs has battle mechanics when you encounter some characters, but still counts as a VN, and Tomoyo After has a small turnbased dungeon crawler-like rpg minigame too. Iirc Clannad also had some sort of rythm game thing with Tomoyo kicking Sunohara, where you had to make long combos to get points.
Haven't played VA11-HALL-A so I don't know too much about it.

>????
This mean?

loomis!

draw. a lot.
think of a schedule after you have been practicing drawing for a good 60-70 hours cumulative, starting from now.
then draw even more.

why is she looking at her own nose

this should help

because the artist is a shining example of what happens when you stick to symbol drawing and get your crit from a hugbox.

It means I hope that by the time step fifteen has been reached, I will be a competent artist.

I have all of his books as pdfs

The problem is not the practicing, it's how to approach the practice. One cannot just "jump into" something, or else you end up as those faglords on DA who have been drawing for a decade and still look like they've the artistic skills of that one child who ate glue back in elementary.

>think of a schedule after you have been practicing drawing for a good 60-70 hours cumulative, starting from now.

So, use this time to familiarize myself with the pencil and such?

She's doing that Korean thing where they use makeup and contacts to make their eyes look bigger

>It means I hope that by the time step fifteen has been reached, I will be a competent artist.
Artfag here.

You will never feel competent.

added a gun model, and some basic animation. I have no idea what I'm doing, and I probably should add actual gameplay soon.

Interesting. I want to make a VN because I like the way they tell stories, but VNs as a whole bore me, so I want to spice it up with some kind of interactive element that would keep people like me interested. I've been thinking long and hard about what kind of gameplay would mesh well with the VN style of storytelling with the dialogue boxes and such, but I haven't been coming up with any good ideas.

Oh shit, 56th post is actually about deving!

So you read all his books and still didn't even try drawing lines?

its anime

you just don't understand it because you're looking at it as not anime

if you see anime is is anime and if that becomes it how that works.

looks like a fun image that they just kinda sketched up in short order to me. i wouldn't level any solid critiques at it personally.

kek

I'm about to begin doing so. I read through all of them to understand the style in which he informs the reader and to understand the concepts he espouses before applying them.

orienting yourself is important, but trying to figure out a schedule before you get a feel for things is often a waste of time. you'll get nowhere without drawing a lot, and yeah, 60-70 hours (or less, you'll have to judge for yourself) should be enough to get accustomed to the basics and get a feel for where you are and where you want to go.
i've been railing against learning from anime in /agdg/ because you will. not. learn. from. anime. until. you're. intermediate. and i want to hammer the point home

I enjoyed Phoenix Wright and Professor Layton, so that kind of gameplay works. I also recently stumbled upon this, which looks like a hybrid VN/adventure/RPG thing. Haven't played the demo yet but it could provide some inspiration for you: laburatory.itch.io/lgd

You're overthinking this

just fucvking draw nigga

I've been playing around Unreal Engine for a while now, making some different projects here and there for fun, just trying to figure things out and I've also been watching a lot of BF1 gameplay because I'm pretty hyped for the game.

I figured my next project would be to make a destructible building, bf style, does anyone have any tips where to start?

that feeel when first song in a few weeks

clyp.it/3wihafcg

You're a chilean girl?

Destructables

Is there anything that Javascript can't do nowadays?

Pretty cool, thanks.

This is probably a dumb question, but how do beat 'em ups work in terms of jumping?

How do you jump and land on a higher platform?

You from London, bruv?

Yes.

anything

VA11-HALL-A is a VN. It's focused a lot on the dialogs and the core gameplay is pretty limited and uninteresting after the first hour.

Thanks, I've had a look at those but I can't really figure out how you'd have something break of in pieces like in BF game, most of the examples on that page seem like it'd be fullscale destruction for smaller assets

>we want to be valkyria chronicles, but not really, look we're contemporary and shit aesthetic
pet peeves aside, it looks like a jrpg with a gimmicky interface. make or break based on story.

I'm confused. Do you mean how do you use collision detection?
They check if they are touching a floor.

Yes, and she would look more like this and less like your pic.

I just ask because this looks familiar to me.

> i wonder what this does...

neat

>VNs as a whole bore me
You and me both, buddy. But unlike , I think visual novels are just a separate subset of games. Just like non-RPGs can have RPG elements, VNs can have gameplay elements. Check out vndb's "Other Gameplay Elements" section here: vndb.org/g21 or visit /evn/ (also on Veeky Forums) for more ideas/discussion.

Your typical beat 'em up like the Simpsons arcade game is 2D. It has an X axis, a Y axis, and somehow a jump. How do you fake the 3D?

upgraded the camera a tad (a mode in which player can no longer backtrack the entire stage) and added a simple system of camera-triggered events

i like your game soo much

It's perfectly possible to learn from anime

>XCOM, but you recruit magical girls to fight off monsters.
Would play. Would definitely play. Why isn't anyone making this?

Less dialogue.
I know that talking and reading a shit ton of text is the point of a VN, but there are just too much unnecessary and pretentious dialogues are in them that it makes me puke. Get to the fucking point.

>It's perfectly possible to learn from anime
That doesn't contradict what he said:
>until. you're. intermediate.

Fixed some issues with the background, and now the checkpoint is saving score and lives. I really want to add a delay and a black screen or something so the character doesn't just fly to it when she dies.
Also I was working on some new sprites for the character, and I just remember that she doesn't have a name at all, any suggestion?

i don't like how the character moves.
The art looks ok.

It's perfectly possible to learn from anime before you're intermediate

I really fucking hate your character and tiles. bg is okay.

Can't you just... you know, decrease the Y position of the character, set a "is jumping" boolean, and draw a shadow under?

Looks really fun. Out of curiosity, do the homing projectiles simply lock onto the closest target? I always wonder how other games do it.

learning from anime before you're intermediate is like trying to interpret data before you know how statistics work
you'll end up with wrong conclusions and have to go back and fix your mistakes

>It's perfectly possible to learn from anime before you're intermediate
I agree. But I also agree with the other guy that there are other things you should learn first. I think anime gives you insight on how you can distort and exaggerate anatomy to make characters and poses more expressive, but you should also learn some of those basics from life before you start changing them up. Some anime can also provide help with color theory, layout, etc. But drawing from life before tackling secondhand representations can help even more.