Tell me about Hungary /his. From what I've read, linguistically they are very isolated... Is this overstated...

Tell me about Hungary /his. From what I've read, linguistically they are very isolated... Is this overstated? How about culturally, and genetically,
Are they similar to their Slav and German neighbours?

I find it very interesting that they came from the Urals and moved west so late in the game.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kings_of_Hungary_family_tree
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slavic_influence_on_Romanian#Slavic_borrowings
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

The first Maygars were an uralic speaking group who migrated to the open steppe and lived under turkic khans, adopting their horse archer nomadic ways and invading europe

After ransacking the place Mongol style they settled down, spread their language to the argicultural natives, and adopted central european culture

>Are they similar to their Slav and German neighbours?

Yes

So original Hungarians were Turk like?

The magyars were. The locals they conquered were slavic and never went away

The original Hungarians were Magyars. Magyars were from the steppe, but when you look at their skeletons and facial reconstructions look more like Slavs. Their Uralic language stuck around because so many fucking Magyars showed up in the area.

The Avars tried the same thing in the past and ended up being absorbed by the Slavs.

They continued to look different from their neighbors until their mass conversion to Catholicism. Once Christian, a lot of Europeans immigrated there.

Of course people began to mix and trade. New customs arose within Hungary, but their language persisted thanks to it being the Lingua Franca of the aristocracy AND the monarchy.

Latin was important for education, but they were close enough to Greece and the Byzantines for Greek to be as well. Neither carried enough influence to change the language siginifcantly.

Eventually, the many Germanic cities became too full of people. Land was scarce and jobs ever scarcer. Many saw the rolling Hungarian plains as their opportunity out of poverty.

It was Europe's own little Manifest Destiny. Hundreds of thousands of Germans left for Hungary within a decade. Their massed settling of the area gave a huge influence of Germanic features, customs, and language.

Somehow, Hungarian still persisted. I have to give it to them: even Romanian gave way to the Slavic neighbors in their language by this time in history.

Look up "The Ostsiedlung". It was a huge movement of Germans back in the day

I can think of King Laszlo I of the Arpad dynasty being a huge character in both Hungary's history and image to the rest of Europe.

He made it a bastion of Christianity, and that made the region very attractive to prospecting monks looking to establish monasteries. Traders also felt it was safe to the travel there. Commerce was a good way for the Arpads to make money then.

TRIANON

When Christianity was strong enough in the region, other European nations took notice. They intermarried with the Arpad Dynasty often. The neighboring royal house in one of the eastern most Germanic states married with them often on their rise to the top.

The Habsburgs of Austria married with them enough to fuse the houses. It made Austria and Hungary's fate tied together for the next few centuries.

Even then, they STILL resisted great change to their language. Kind of crazy

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kings_of_Hungary_family_tree

The 19th century saw a rise of nationalism within the Magyar people. Despite looking and acting more German than their ancestors, they still spoke the same language - more or less. They rallied around their identity en masse. It was hard for Austro-Hungary to stay together. It weakened them in World War I, and made them a weak ally to the surrounded Germany.

Then this happened, thanks user

To expand on the Ostsiedlung, the Hungarian kings loved the idea of Germans coming into their territory. Not all the "Germans" were German, and this fractured identity made it easy to group them together without worry of mass resistance or chuminess (for lack of a better word)

This is from the Sachsenspiegel and it is depicting the Ostsiedlung. The Lokator (with the cool hat) got land grants from the local lord: ranging from barons to kings. Settlers cleared the forest and built houses. The locator acted as the judge in the village. The villages were allowed to keep Germanic laws and only had to pay taxes to the local government.

Of course this trickled up to the King of Hungary so they were happy to have productive farmland instead of dank forests

Perhaps going to Central Europe "so late in the game" was their saving grace

Magyar nationalism started out of religious and economic reasons actually. The Catholic magnates collaborated with the Habsburgs, got very wealthy and gradually germanized, while the much poorer protestant Magyar nobility felt very marginalized and even oppressed at times, this caused hundreds of years of tension which eventually mutated into anti-German and even anti-Slav sentiments.

>even Romanian gave way to the Slavic neighbors in their language
u wat m8? Romanian is not a Slavic language, even if it has a lot of words of Slavic origin.

>dat wooly hair structure
>dat flat nose
Original Magyars confirmed for black.

>filename

Fun fact: Hungary had surprisingly advanced radar technology in WW2. "Borbála" artillery ranging radar, 1944.

they are different only in their language (which is btw 50% loan words)
genetically and culturally they are baisically the same as their neighbours

That's what I meant, something like 70% of Romanian is taken from Slavic despite being a "Romance" language

I can imagine it being anti-everybody. All of their neighbors had a language alien to their own.

We wuz steppe niggers n shiet

Thanks for the tip, that is really interesting

>that coat of arms on the top, in the middle of a man calmly sampling ale or wine

Cool image, m80

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slavic_influence_on_Romanian#Slavic_borrowings

>Roughly a fifth of spoken Romanian colloquial vocabulary is based on common Slavic roots

Kill yourself

He's somewhat right, that only happened in 19th century when language was "cleaned" from Slavic influence.
In past Romanian was more Slavic-influenced, and even written in Cyrillic.