What's the biggest mistake you've made in trying to make money?

What's the biggest mistake you've made in trying to make money?

I bought $1500 worth of grain free dog food from a wholesaler, thinking I could flip it on eBay. I sold one bag and the customer demanded a refund.

Going to university

I spent a year of my life and $10,000 trying to make it at a prop firm.

Why did he demand a refund

Investing money into friends restaurant and a relative's business

Lmao

would love to hear more

#1: I signed a $500k+ contract with a certain company to provide services in the summer of 2008. When the market crash hit their interests they shut the job down but I had already dropped $100k into equipment, supplies and payroll to get work started.
Lucky for me they got going on the job again a year later, so it wasn't a total loss, but that was a scare.

#2: Same company, I'm grossing $80k per month working for them, I have all my estimated taxes paid. In 2011 these fuckers decide to pay me for January '12 in December of '11 so they can post a 4th quarter loss.
So I get hit with $80k of income for which I have no expenses to show, and for which I haven't paid any taxes.
IRS winds up taking almost $40,000 of it in extra taxes because my buttfuck client screwed me.
I did get to write off a nice loss in '12 because of it though.

College degree

Majoring in accounting
Getting a gf

t. NEET, failed normie

Listening to my lying mother.

Getting Married.

Same.

The feels

taking advice from people not in my line of work

Both of THESE.

buying SGY at 14.01 a share, looks like it may be turning around tho

Taking that fucking job because I as mad and they promised me more money. While going through the interview, I rationalized making less money than at my current job. Fucking stupid move. Fucked me for a year and a half. Still getting fucked.

Kek, I'm so glad I got out when I could. Student loans are on course to bubble and pop.

$500 in Bitcoin about 4 years ago.

At first I lost money from price crash, then when I tried to withdraw I either entered in the wrong BTC code thing you get, or couldn't fucking find where my money was sent to.

lol friendly reminder those ~40 btc would be worth a little over $24k right now...

maybe try to find the btc wallet you sent it to again.

This

Why God? Why did I become an accountant?

>Wanted to start publishing Kindle ebooks
>Slightly edited old pieces of uni work (in computer networking security) and published 3, did okay in sales, had around a sale a day for the first month without any marketing or anything
>decided to get a ghostwriter to write me a longer book with the aim of marketting it fully and trying to make a good product
>came up with idea, drafted sections, hired ghostwriter off Fiverr
>a week in, asked if I could see his progress so far so I could review. His answer was basically "I'd rather you waited until the end, it will distract me". Oblige with him.
>Work finally completed, looked over it
>It was complete garbage. It was so difficult to read, needlessly using long words, endlessly going into long, unneccesary metaphors, avoiding the whole subject
>Sold 2 copies. Wasted a couple hundred quid

I tried to serve a market that was under served for a reason.

>collect figures
>had a difficult time finding them offline for over 10 years
>see online sales going strong and assume many others like me who would buy locally if it was an option
>open wholesale account
>discount is small but I'll be OK if I can get retail

>most convention organizers are super greedy
>booth fees skyrocketing, traffic falling
>in state collectors are cheap cheap cheap
>tablet + Square reader barely used
>have to collect sakes tax, treated like sheriff of Nottingham
>watch Funko Pop dealers do brisk business while back stock accumulates
>sell more online, to FL, through highest fee venue, than anything else

>favorite online store reacting negatively to what I assume are the same market pressures on a larger scale and may end involvement as a hobby...

Living in Ireland

business got rekt by the NSA

>worked customer service at a branch office of a discount brokerage firm in college
>lots of people coming in to open accounts and asking about a particular penny stock
>apparently someone at the local church was pumping this stock and spreading the word
>it was up something like 400% in a week
>i knew better, but i put $2k into it (which was a lot for me at the time)
>starts tanking within hours
>i pull out taking a 50% loss
>some of these people opening new accounts were clearly unsophisticated investors and putting $20k+ into this stock
>glad i learned my lesson and only lost $1k

Suppose it were to pop, would it not be good to get in on free education then

Go on?

Don't do it. They make most of their money from your commissions. Once I learned that, I left and just traded for myself.

>Make a bet where i put 3€, win 6000€ if it works.
>Don't finish the bet because i realize it will be another loss, better make a safer bet.
>the bet i didn't do was good

BP
SAVE
F

I've had a mixture of results on the stock market. Some big wins, but those three would be my biggest losers so far.

Going to art school.

Me pre-Veeky Forums

Student loans will never pop. They're backed by the government

Nope not at all

I don't know how you handle thta stress..id die

Spent ~30k on a dump truck business. Went legit, advertised, made ~27k after working 50+ hours a week.

Bough the house next door to rent.

Eating the payment because our last tennant was a meth user and drummer that worked nights.

Meh, both are easy learning exoeriences. And the house has a 0% interest rate so we essentially paying ourselves. Can always borrow ~80% against it for a down payment on another.

>just gotta keep on keepin' on.

Dont blame the client dipshit... refuse payment and dont cash the check till jan 1.

>profit!

Pic related. Dont be stupid like my captcha...

paid 50€ for soup spice thinking its hash

lose 400€ in online poker while high

overall i was always solid, financially, if a little too risk-averse and without any entrepreneurial spirit. my parents are doctors, grandparents farmers and public officials, it runs in the family

there's only so much you can do. After a certain point you can't worry about it. Either fix it or cut it loose.

Do they still write $80,000 paper checks to contractors where you live? That's cute.

>spent 6 years and $50,000 plus opportunity cost going to uni
>get out, look at jobs
>pay what I could get working without a degree
>expected to take shitty 30k a year jobs and "work your way up" to 60k after 4 or 5 years
>profs told me all this shit about 50k starting
>it was a lie

You guys, too? Overhyped degree...the jobs are shit. They want 3 years xp to make 16 an hour. Should I bother getting a CPA? I just don't feel like spending 3 months studying like a chink and like $1500 to take some hyper stressful test and then pay bribe money to them to not revoke it every year.

It's been months and I am still unemployed. I want to kill myself. All those years of my life, gone. We should storm the universities and burn them down. Not even kidding I would participate in an act of retribution.

Wow... good thing I'm not using E-bay. Looks like this year everyone is in full refund scam mode.

Hmm... maybe we could become the refund scammers.

what do you do?

How you know this nigger never made more than min wage

>It's been months and I am still unemployed

wow that's fucking pathetic. go work in a restaurant or something you idiot

>tfw got Broadcast Journalism degree

It sucks that no one's hiring at all, even with my resume bait. Guess I gotta work at a "regular" job till then.

environmental contractor for mining.

Attached please find a copy of my 2011 work order for a portion of that job. It paid somewhat more than min wage.

Sigh.. I meant the guy talking about not cashing the check but ok. You have a huge penis user.

I spent 470 bucks to gain access to this stock trading room and lost 500 on my first trade, then went broke. Now thats pretty bad.

Yes I regret it never doing that again. =/

my apologies for being slow then.

I don't get the point of working shit jobs for shit wages. Like what the hell was my degree for.

To not starve maybe?

You work for those jobs to keep going on and living and hope the degree lands you in a better place eventually. I guess that's what I'm thinking for my mine, but they just are not getting back to me whenever I'm sending those apps out.

I'm not at risk for three more months. Savings, man. Idk I might get a weekend job as a barista or something as I'm thinking about it. Winter is coming so I won't be doing much outdoors anyway...my sports clubs are all turning in around October. I guess I should get a scrub job for now. I'm just salty about the situation.

What sites do you use? I mainly have been using indeed to search. I also get messages from recruiters through indeed or linkedin but so far they haven't turned into jobs. Do you think craigslist jobs are legitimate?

>be me
>loan gf 4k in uni
>5 years later
>she broke and I rich

What a failed investment in her education

Are you a marxist? This is labor value theory tier retarded

Paying for writing services is a lot shitter than I expected
>tried having a uni assignment written for me
>pay a couple of hundred dollars for "PhD level American in your field"
>get some complete garbage on the day the assignment is due and have to quickly do something myself
>manage to get a refund by detailing numerous basic errors and complaining about general shitty quality
I actually spent pages going over all the reasons the work was shit. It helped me channel the anger. I am 95% certain the person who wrote it doesn't poo in loo.

I am a hiring manager for a large regional public accounting firm.

If you graduated without a job in public accounting, it's not going to happen for you.

The fact that you aren't motivated to get your license, which is such a basic part of an accountant's career tells me that you wont get hired as an accountant by anyone.

It also tells me that you didnt graduate in the top of your class and are destined for mediocrity.

Have a beer and drink your sorrows away

Well I appreciate you posting proof, at least. Nice to see someone who isn't just a fat retard neckbeard coming up with a fantasy.

>sports clubs
Like... gyms? Or do you still play sports in an organized fashion? That sounds fun. I want to know more.

>you didnt graduate in the top of your class

To be fair 99% of grads aren't in "the top of their class" by definition. Yes, I am a lazy fuck, I fully admit to that. I didn't have a job because I decided where I wanted to move only at the last minute. You're pretty judgmental.

>basic part

The people who get CPA are a vast minority. That's why it's so valuable, ya mook.

>HR dog looking down on anyone

I'd rather live in a tent than work as HR. What a lot of fat gossipy cunts.

Yes, organized groups for playing sports. meetup, craigslist, local sports websites. As long as you live in a decently populous area there are a lot.

What kinda sports do you play?

>Bought 11 BTC @ ~$100 each
>Price rises to ~$170ish
>Blow my load and sell them all
>1 month later a BTC is worth over 1k

Invested $6000 into xtv only for the company to lose its deal with at&t and the share price plummet to less than a cent

>expected to take shitty 30k a year jobs and "work your way up" to 60k after 4 or 5 years

This happened to me. Graduated with a BS in STEM and couldn't find anything that was a decent career starter. I wound up joining the military at $50k with automatic promotions every two years. I'm about to promote now and make $62k/yr after taxes and my loans are almost paid off.

I'm not even that mad about the money I spent on uni now. It's the opportunity cost. I could have been stacking cash and just putting it all in the stock market, made mad returns, and I'd have a 6 figure net worth instead of my current negative net worth.

Yeah, pretty much this. Biggest scam going.

He was in a ruff mood and its a doggy dog world in business

At least you get laid