Work on car outside

>work on car outside
>neighbors keep coming up to you asking for help on their cars

Jesus F. Christ, anyone here has this problem too? I try to be nice to them because it's a bad idea to have unhappy neighbors but it's gotten so bad now I'm working at night instead just to avoid them.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=6L1FXVILlPI
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>sorry i'm too busy

.. or profit

seriously, user.. where's your spine?

>working on car
>neighbors wife comes over
>cute car user

Tell them you are busy

>n-not a-a-ass ka-c-cute as y-you desu

Grow some balls and say you won't work for free, these gooks next to me told me their car problems and said I would be happy to help.. For a price. Problem solved they don't talk to me because they're cheap as fuck.

what car?

this problem led to me charging them to fix the cars they ask for help with. It turned into my business... I like it

however yes ppl get fucking on the nerves when your just trying to work.

This is how you deal with it

youtube.com/watch?v=6L1FXVILlPI

I do this, I have seen people get within earshot and turn around.

dude you have no fucking idea

I live in an apartment complex
every time i pop the hood i get like half a dozen people wandering over

some ask what im doing
others just watch
usually some old hag tells me i should "go to a shop"
then theres the apartment staff who constantly remind me i cant leak oil and stuff on to their precious asphalt

make friends user.
I used to work as a paramedic. the very first thing we learn is how to get rid of bystanders. give them useless task to perform so they feel like they're helping.

>hold my dick plz
uhh k-kay...am I doing it right?

Oh god, his hair has grayed and he's looking elderly. Time's made us its bitch.

Saved.

God, I would fucking hate living in an apartment complex

I live in one too. Nobody really bothers me aside from the occasional guy saying they love my shitbox. I just hate that there's no shade so it's easy as fuck to sunburn. Then there's the cold in winter.

>"How much?"
>"How much what?"
>"Money. How much money do I get for fixing your car?"
If you can do something well, don't do it for free.

Its especially bad where I am because its an upscale apartment complex where most people drive new BMW or lexus and they have literally never seen someone working on a car before
Like they stand in total shock that someone would actually try and fix their own car instead of taking it to an authorized dealership™

I've never had anyone bother me. At the last place I lived one girl would come over and chat me up a bit but that's it.

I want you to do an engine swap in the parking lot just to fuck with them to death.
"Yes, I can do this"
>three hours later
>VROOM
"See, I told you I could do this!"

Did you dick her?

Nope. She always was chatty when alone but silent when she was with her boyfriend and honestly, she wasn't that hot. Kind of good from a distance but up close you saw some shit.

Nothing a paper bag won't fix

Paper...think of the trees, user. Make it plastic.

Then you run the risk of putting her in a pine box, stick with paper.

Think if the trees

When I do maintenance or whatever on my shitbox my friendly next-door neighbor comes over sometimes to ask what I'm doing. He then starts talking about how it's in pretty good condition considering the age (1992 model). He's a cool old fella.
Thank goodness I don't have anyone coming up and asking for me to fix their car. I'd stay away form that since I'm not experienced in more involved tasks and if I fucked up or something else went wrong they might blame me for it.

I'd just tell them I'm not a qualified technician and wouldn't feel comfortable working on someone else's car.

My apartment complex calls a tow truck everytime i change my oil there.
>fucking hate this place but its cheap.
Also fucking kids want to look then they end up trying to touch shit while im not looking.

Live in the projects, user?

One of my 60 year old neighbors used to wrench on muscle cars when he was my age, and he'll come out if he sees me wrenching on my car and we'll chat. Given me some solid advice at times and has even helped me out occasionally when I've gotten stuck so I'm not complaining

Other than that my other neighbors come by to always either ask me wby the fuck I'm always wrenching on weekends instead of taking the car to the dealership, or asking why I bought a car that was so shit that it requires weeked work, because I guess cars are supposed to be something you buy and then never touch outside of driving. The concept of project car doesn't seem to exist for then

A mile from Detroit so, kinda? Its still mostly nice here. Just the apartments are sketchy

>live in motor city
>get hassled for doing car stuff
Did this city fall to shit in literally every aspect?

>Did this city fall to shit in literally every aspect?
Yes. My apartment also fines me for having my motorcycle there, so i have to keep it at my dads place. Also,
>cant change oil at apartment
>autozone didnt like me using the parking lot
>where the fuck am i supposed to do it?

Walmart parking lot? If anyone asks you aren't just changing the oil. Tell them that you are standed and a christian and ask if they can spare any change. If they give you their address you will totally pay them back.

Straight up retarded, hope you find a solution m8

so much for freedom

I've seen this as well. There is a DIY garage nearby that I could rent a bay at $40 an hour with lift and tools but for simple stuff like that you really don't need one

> In britain
> Do car stuff in the driveway
> Nobody bothers you because it's impolite
> No 'housing authority' to tell you what you can and can't do on your own property

Sorting myself for an oil change next weekend, and I'm just going to set up my speakers and do it right on the driveway.
All I need is a way to dispose of the old oil, because I literally have no idea where to do it safely and without just dumping it somewhere.
Got a bottle from my last one still, and one or two of used cooking oil.
I could drive to a tip to do it, but that'd probably involve waiting in line idling for FUCKING AGES.

There should be a place to dump used oil for recycling purposes. Here in Burgerstan you can go to your local auto parts store and they have a receptacle there, or you can probably look up local oil recycling containers.

>constantly working on my rebel 250 and vulcan 750 in the driveway out of boredom
>neighborhood kids always coming up wanting to see shit, which doesnt really bother me
>old fucks always telling me to buy a fucking Harley

Cleaned the carb on my new neighbors ninja the other day. Guy gave me 80$ even though i told him id do it for free, wife brought me some amazing cookies the next day. My neighborhoods alright

I go to my neighbor's house and ask him but he's cool and I smoke weed with him all the time. I will also help him sometimes if he needs an extra pair of hands. He gets random people go to his place (neighbors know we like chilling in his garage) and ask vague car questions
>"Hey [user's friend]! My car's acting funny do you think you can check it out?"

happens to me once or twice every summer.

Work with the garage open, its in the alley. people drive by, asking me questions about my car, or ask if I can help them with something.

I usually give advice to their problem, and point them in the right directions.

If they ask me to have me do something for them, I usually quote them a high hourly rate. depending on how shitty their car is.

This one dude in a beat up Tahoe needed a new thermostate. Sure, I probably could have done it, but I wasnt fucking with it. Told him I charge $80 per hour, and explained that I would need to drain all the coolant, and that its at least 3 hours of work. He said okay, and left. Never came by.

Just give them a solid answer and then ask for too much money, they usually dont bother you ever again.

I used this excuse:
>Sorry but I'm not a mechanic. I just research the crap out of my car before I do anything and I seem to be breaking more than I'm fixing.

They laugh like I'm the idiot but if they believe that lie than win-win.

>wrench on car in parking lot
>mexican comes over and tries to convince me to pay him to do whatever i'm doing
>tell him no, but he keeps trying for half an hour.
>eventually he leaves, but he tries to take my electric impact with him
>chase him down because his short little mexico legs can't run fast enough
>take my impact back and make him give me the money in his wallet or else i'd call ICE on his familia
>spend the next 5 months walking around my house with a gun paranoid MS 13 is going to murder me.

I don't miss being poor.

damn nigga that escalated real fast.

Googled. Turns out, I have to drive to the local tip to dispose of it.
And wait in line.
For hours.
By a stinking pile of rubbish.
Idling the engine to keep the airflow going to keep the smell out.
Moving a car length every few minutes and burning clutch.

Looks like I'm back to Plan A of 'hoard it in the garage until I need to get more stuff dumped'.

Just put it in small bottles and sell it to the kids as bicycle chain grease

get several of those 5 galllon water jugs and put all your oil in there. Drive out at night to some industrial or poor area and leave it on the side of the road next to some mechanic's shop and let them deal with it. Or drop it off at autozone, fuck autozone

>friend and I have changed our oil and we keep allll our oil in jugs (so far we have like 6 full), just waiting for the day to borrow his mom's truck and "dispose" of them

hahahha

just throw it in the trash goddamn
how fucking hard is to dispose some oil

I dunno, ask BP

Man I wish I had a shop like that near me.

>working on car in the street of neighborhood
>family hogs all the driveway spots
>cop rolls up
>hey whats up man
>we have a short chat
>he wasn't really listening to anything i said
>told him i'm not even working on the moving traffic side of the car
>ok man be careful on the street, cars are driving by

>any day ever
>working on older cars
>old white guy walks by
>when it's the bmw: always something to work on with german cars!
>he says in a high and mighty voice
>when it's an old american muscle: what a nice car, aren't these old cars wonderful
>bmw needs less work done to it i'm just autistic and go over minor details

>moved to apt complex
>working on e30
>sweaty lanklet arab guy comes over
>smells like curry death
>starts talking to me
>hey man this is a nice car
>keeps asking me stupid questions, clearly not a car guy
>oh boy here it comes
>how much did you pay for this
>how much would you sell it for

every once and a while someone will just say 'nice cars' and fuck off

>I don't work on x car only on mine sorry.

>live in fairly small apartment complex in a pretty hip urban area
>property manager is always around
>constantly work on my car because it's a giant piece of shit
>property manager always on my ass about not spilling oil or fluid
>tells me I'm too loud and I'm annoying my neighbors
>your car needs to go to a shop, your parking spot doesn't count as a shop okay
>getting sick of this fucking gook bitch
>ask my neighbors if I bother them when I'm fixing my vehicle or changing parts out
>everyone says it's fine, in fact a few say they enjoy watching out their window on occasion
>final straw is when bitch starts calling bylaw and tow trucks to stop me from wrenching
>bylaw officer asks for building policies and doesn't find anything prohibiting me from working on a vehicle
>tow truck driver is bro-tier and shoots the shit with me
>he's pretty old, probably mid 70s and says he does it part time as its his son's business and he likes helping out
>property manager yelling at me in her thick ass zipperhead accent about how she'll put a stop to this eventually
>tow truck driver looks over and tells her that he didn't burn his way through the jungles of Vietnam so she could try to fuck over good honest Americans
>she looks completely taken aback and calls him a pig
>he tells her to go die just like the jungle rats he killed back in 'Nam
>she still calls the tow truck company occasionally to fuck me over
>know all the drivers now and I usually have a case of beer in the cooler for when they show up
>free tows for life and a job if I need it now

Fucking gooks can't kill American spirit

That made me happy
Luckily I live in a student-managed dorm at an engineering universtiy and the property manager is literally the biggest gearhead of the bunch

everyone works on cars in my neighborhood as we are mostly mexicans with shitboxes that require regular maintenance.

Only problem is for each household there's like 5 cars per household so I regularly have to park on the other side of my block

why not combine two shitboxes into one better box
works in fallout 3

Fucking lol, good man.

>neighbors
Your doing it wrong user.

>others just watch
>usually some old hag tells me i should "go to a shop"

Damn, sorry bongbro. I can't believe you guys don't have somewhere to dump your oil that isn't the hazardous waste disposal place.

You know what BMW stands for right? Fix it again, Tony. Heh heh.

Bixit
Magain
Wony

I usually throw my oil in a firepit and put about a 8th of a liter of gas and some wood in there.... The environment does not like it and I stay away from it but I am not going to wait in line at my local disposal place for 4 hours.

I don't even have a place to work on my car

If you don't want to pollute the environment with it, pretty hard.

Fortunately, I can store it pretty much indefinitely in the containers it came in, so I'm just going to dump it at the tip when I have a bunch of crap to get rid of.
Or ask the local mechanics if they can take it off my hands and tip it in their disposal tank. I mean, I'm getting them to replace my brakes anyway.

Your local auto stores don't have a service where they take your old used oil for free?

Where the Fuck do you live? It's straight in. Dump your shit and get out at my local tip. Only time I had to wait was when they were using an excavator to flatten cardboard.

Practically every council understands this to be important. Because otherwise farmers just dig a well and pour it into tye hole. This is bad for many reasons.

If they dont make it a drive in, pour oil, leace right away it reduces compliance. Because theres literally nothing they can do to stop you from just saying your sump plug fell out in a parking lot and now youre just topping up the oil.

neck yourselves

Pine box? I was thinking refrigerator.

>God, I would fucking hate living in an apartment complex

Apartments attract the lowest forms of life. If I ever end back up in an apartment complex I'll stick to keeping to myself.

A few years ago immediately after graduating I moved into an apartment complex.
>Everything was redone inside the complex
>Groundskeeper did a really good job - everything was tidy outside
>They had a small area for guest parking on the far end that doubled as an area for one to work on their automobile

When I first moved in I was nice to the neighboring neighbors.
>I'd swap stories when crossing paths
>Quite often I was asked if I could help move X or give them a ride to somewhere
>Once they found out I was a web developer I was swarmed by people asking for money
>Eventually attracted all forms of scumbags constantly asking for favors
>Started cold shouldering everyone
>Went down the outside back balcony just to avoid the group living at the bottom of the stairs

As time went on I eventually ran into one of the residents at the ice cream shack. He never talked to anyone and he kept to himself. All of the residents that talked to me told me he was an arrogant selfish asshole.
>He told me he came from some other complex and learned the hard way you don't interact with other residents
>Never revealed anything about himself the entire time I was there

The thing that pissed me off the most during my stay at the complex were children. God forbid you yell at someone else's child.
>I was outside sitting on my front balcony porch watching the Tweety birds
>Down below some kids were playing with a rubber ball in the parking lot
>The fat privileged kid got on the hood of his dad's grand am & proceeded to jump onto another car
>I immediately yelled at tubby to get off the vehicles
>Mother came out screaming at me and told me she doesn't want anyone scolding her child
>I was forever worried they'd trash my car afterwards

In case you didn't realize, that video was posted on April 1st.

Also, the real guy has been dead for years.

Fuck that kid's mom, lazy bitch.

Is it like that in America? I only ever lived in buildings that had multiple flats. Not really commieblock style but still sometimes up to 20 family homes per building.
>some dude two stories up apparently breeds hamsters in his spare time but enver told anyone
>this was then made apartment building common knowledge when the idiot managed to have like six of the furry fucks escape outside one winter night
>I was like 7 at the time so I excitedly went out to help find them again
>I found two of them
>I got to keep one as thanks
>now I had a hamster :3
Stefan was a very cute thing for the three years he lived.

did a guy on a white ninja give you a thumbs up on center street yesterday around 2:50pm? if so that was me, if not nice car saw one yesterday around 2:50pm on center street and gave them a thumbs up.

When I worked at O'Reillys I had people asking for me to do things that are more involved than replacing a lightbulb/airfilter/battery Sure I know how, but I told em each time I'm not taking on the liability. They were typically shocked, like they think we're mechanics or something.

O'Reillys doesn't care. I've seen people do full tune ups and stuff that took up to five hours several times. Just means more business for us as you realize you need more of X, and keep coming back.

I got one

>changing air filter on old Buick skyhawk
>not even 5 mins into it
>Puerto Rican druggie rushes over to see if I need help
>I got it man, it's just an air filter
>"no man, I can do it for $10"
>thanks bro, but I got no money that's why I'm doing it myself
>he leaves
>5 mins latter
>"hey, yo! Ya need sumbuone to werk on ya car"
>I'm aight man, just changing a filter I'm almost done
>"aiiigh man, holla if ya need sum help"