Does Turkey have the best claim to being the successor state of the Roman Empire?

Does Turkey have the best claim to being the successor state of the Roman Empire?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maria_Palaiologina
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nogai_Khan#Rise_to_power_in_Golden_Horde_and_Europe
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Church_of_Saint_Mary_of_the_Mongols
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Who gives a shit?

FPBP

The patriarch said they are, and they married Byzantine royalty

look its like a highway out of shitskindom

>who gives a shit about history?
>on the history board

Literally why.

The holy roman empire is the successor to the roman empire. Since all of our presidents have been secretly controlled by the habsburgs, America is the modern holy roman empire and is therefore the successor state of the Roman Empire

Vatican State has the best claim

1. It's location is in Rome

2. Speaks the same language

3. Same religion

4. Existed at the same time as Rome

Next is probably Russia.

Definitely not Turkey

Thank you, based user.

No. Russia has a better claim.

>4. Existed at the same time as Rome

This actually disqualifies it. You can't be the successor state if you coexisted with the original state.

Okay, so that means Rome still exist as Vatican City.

Because it's a meaningless semantic question with no possibility for constructive dialogue or a final answer.

Top kek.

Because OP is asking a question solely intended to stir up shitposting or /pol/-posting.

It's like asking who the true successor state is to one of the many empires of ancient mesopotamia.

Mehmet was a blood connection to the crown (through his mother) and more than that he took over the capitol, which considering how flimsy Byzantine succession was is as legitimate as it gets.
not to mention he was declared Emperor by the Patriarch in exchange for their protection under his rule, which he and his successors maintained.

>shitposting or /pol/-posting.

>implying those aren't one and the same

>shitposting is exclusive to /pol/
Ironically you just proved it isn't

Eastern Rome existed at the same time as the West.

its called a rump state for a reason.
the Vatican carries on Roman culture through the Catholic church

Not all shitposts are /pol/, but all /pol/ posts are shit.

Someone post the flow chart. You know the one.

Amen.
>inb4 stormfugs

Is this what you think historians discuss? You literally have not read an actual history book.

What no. Islam and the turks have nothing to do with the roman empire(s). They just rolled in there and took it so no.

/pol/ is a board of peace

#notall/pol/acks

Why can't people just accept that there is no successor to Rome? It's not the Vatican City, it's not Russia, and it's certainly not Turkey or Finland.

What about Russia?

What no. Christianity and the jews have nothing to do with the roman empire(s). They just rolled in there and took it so no.

This.
Rome fell in 1453, plain and simple.

Didnt know Vatican worshipped pagan roman religion

It's either Turkey or France, depending if you go with Eastern or Western Rome.

Mehmed II also had a Roman mentality and worldview. He was one of the top quality rulers of Renaissance. The Ottoman statesmen were also mostly Greeks. I think a certain heritage can be traced but after Mehmed II it starts to decline and gets completely forgotten near the modern era.

Still they had the best claim. Russian claim is just nonsense.

>Mehmed II conquered the last of Rome at age 21
>You're 24 and shitposting on an Uzbekistan Camel Auction

d-damn...I..I wasn't ready for t-that

what claim? Turkey has literally nothing in common with Rome.

ITT: WE WUZ ROMANS N SHIEEEEET

>Turkey has literally nothing in common with Rome.

Rome in 400 BC was wildly different than Rome in 400 AD, and both are wildly different than Rome (now called Turkey) in 2016. That doesn't mean they're not the same.

>2. Speaks the same language
>Church Latin and classical vulgar latin are le same guisse dddd

Plus Greek is arguably as much of a lingua franca for the period as Latin. granted no one speaks ancient Greek either

No.

Ironically, Tsarist Russia did have the best claim. But then 1917 happened and as a result that is no longer the case.

>
>
>

>1
>4
>5
>3

>all of our presidents have been secretly controlled by the habsburgs

uh

But there's literally no connection.
ERE had the continuity with Roman state, and over time it evolved into something different, but they still maintained that link.
Ottomans were literally some Muslim conquerors with no connection. The fact Mehmed II roleplayed as a Roman doesn't change that.
Plus modern Turkey is a break from Ottoman Empire, so there's that too.

Rome fell in 1917.

>Ironically, Tsarist Russia did have the best claim.

Nah.

>But then 1917 happened and as a result that is no longer the case.

The Soviet Union was certainly the successor to Tsarist Russia, so you can't have one without the other.

Unironically yes.

Soviet Union was a radically different entity.
Just because something exists in same area doesn't mean automatic continuity.
Russia reappeared in 1991.

Tsar is the literal translation of Caesar.

>The Soviet Union was certainly the successor to Tsarist Russia

No it wasn't, legally or otherwise.

And padishah means master of kings. Guess that makes the Ottoman sultans ruler of all other monarchs.

Were Ottoman sultans referred to as literally Caesar?

When you say successor to the Roman Empire, you need to specify if you are talking culturally, geographically, or philosophically.

>Tsar is the literal translation of Caesar.

So is Kaiser. Who gives a shit. I can call myself Caesar of mom's basement if I want.

Prove me wrong.
>inb4 MUH WESTERN ROME EVEN THOUGH ROME WASN'T THE CAPITAL
>inb4 B-B-BUT MUH LATINIUM
>inb4

>legally

Do you have any idea how many times power changed hands in Rome """"illegally""""?

I don't care about Rome.

>Soviet Union was a radically different entity.

And the Roman Empire was a radically different entity to the Roman Republic, which was a radically different entity to the Kingdom of Rome.

>I don't care about Rome.

Good thing you're in this thread, then.

Mongolia

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maria_Palaiologina
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nogai_Khan#Rise_to_power_in_Golden_Horde_and_Europe
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Church_of_Saint_Mary_of_the_Mongols

Do you think it's impossible for someone to chime in and comment on a post that has no relation to the topic? I mean I've seen people do this shit all the time.

>be a serial killer who broke into an old man's house and kill him
>cut off his face and proceed to claim that he's his son
Turk logic.

>Ottomans were literally some Muslim conquerors with no connection.
If we were talking about another Persian or Central Asian conqueror, sure, but the Ottomans and the other Turks of Anatolia had been living in Roman territory and alongside the Roman state for nearly 400 years by the time the Ottomans took Constantinople, had regularly married into local Roman and even Imperial dynasties, and served as vassals and auxiliaries and allies as many times as they've fought with the empire.

No it wasn't, you have no idea what you're talking about, like totally.

who do you think george soros' grandpappy was huh?

pic fucking related

Not an argument.

I don't fucking believe it.

Thats right, once you take the half black half yellow pill theres no going back

The habsburgs control the world and are the cause of everything that is happening today, everything else is just a false flag

damn

My gut tells me this is BS, but the resemblance is a bit uncanny

No, saying this as a Turkish Byzantine Phd fag (if such a petty title can be used as an authority claim). By the time Constantinople fell, turks were already under few centuries of influence of other cultures, Persians most particular.

I do believe however, Byzantine Empire is seriously underrated, It is important to recognize the Roman Legacy in Ottomans. From music to architecture to certain parts of the administration.

Well,after the Conquest of Istanbul Sultans were referred to as Kayzer-i Rum.Which can be translated as Caesar of Anatolia or Caesar of Rome.

sweet

>WE WUZ ROMANS N SHIT

Wow. I hadn't watched so much mental gymnastics since both the RNC and the DNC.

>turks and germans pronounce caesar better than italians
pottery

>but the Ottomans and the other Turks of Anatolia had been living in Roman territory and alongside the Roman state for nearly 400 years by the time the Ottomans took Constantinople, had regularly married into local Roman and even Imperial dynasties, and served as vassals and auxiliaries and allies as many times as they've fought with the empire.
literally grasping at straws

Pre-1453 Byzantines != Ottomans

>The holy roman empire is the successor to the roman empire.

American education.

Jesus.
Never applied Roman law.

Applied Islamic law.

You can't be Roman if your law doesn't come from Roman law.

They are merely usurpers.

>Since all of our presidents have been secretly controlled by the habsburgs
DAMN YOU ETERNAL AUSTRIANS

DAMN THE PERFIDIOUS ETERNAL AUSTRIANS

THE PROTOCOLS OF THE LEARNED ELDERS OF VIENNA IS NOT A FAKE

Muslims aren't qualified to be the heirs of the Roman Emprie, only christians are.

>Want to be the Roman Empire
>Not create you own awesome Empire like the French or the british
German and Turk truly can't into civilization.

No. Just to clarify, there is no successor to the Roman Empire

Poland should be too. Tsar was also king of Poland(wich were part of Russian empire).

Ottomans claimed Kayser-i Rum to gain legitimacy. They also called themselves Sultans, Khans and bunch of other titles including Padishah which is a Persian title for "The Emperor". They were basically title hunting, see the letter of Suleiman to Francis I of France.

>I, sultan of sultans, king of kings, the shadow of God who bestows the crown to the monarchs on earth, the supreme ruler of the Mediterranean and Black Seas, the Balkans and Anatolia, Azerbaijan, Damascus and Halep, Egypt, Mecca and Medina, Jerusalem, and all of the Arab dominions, and Yemen, and the sultan and the supreme king of many nations,

>I am the son of Sultan Selim Khan and grandson of Sultan Bayezid Khan, and you, King Francis, are the governor of the French province.

>You have sent to my Gate, the sanctuary of many kings, a letter by the hand of your faithful servant Frangipani. He has made known to me how the enemy overran your country, so you are now a captive. You have asked aid, for your deliverance. All this your saying having been set forth at the foot of my throne, which controls the world. Your situation has gained my imperial understanding in every detail, and I have considered all of it.

>There is nothing astonishing in emperors being defeated and made captive. Keep your heart content and do not grieve. In these situations our glorious predecessors and illustrious ancestors, may God keep alight their tombs, never ceased from making war to drive back their foe and conquer his lands. We ourselves have followed their path; we have at every time conquered provinces and citadels both great in strength and in difficulty of approach. By night as well as by day our horse is always saddled, and our saber ever girded on.

>May God the Most High advance righteousness! May His will, whatsoever it portends, be accomplished. For the rest, ask it from your envoy and be informed. Know that it will be as said.

All of you are wrong the Roman empire still exists through Spain. So the roman empire has been around for over 2000 years. Wikipedia the titles of the Spanish crown if you don't believe me. Spread the word when someone says the Roman empire is dead or that Spain isn't the Roman Empire. Also the roman empire and the hre were united under charles v of austria

Equal, anyway. The western leg of the Roman empire ruled for a thousand years; the eastern leg of the Roman empire ruled for a thousand years. It only really fell apart a century ago, and there are many people trying to rebuild it today.