Read this and thought it was interesting that Toyota higher-ups are pushing for a halo car

Read this and thought it was interesting that Toyota higher-ups are pushing for a halo car.

mrt.com/business/top_stories/article_5d6a30aa-08c7-11e6-a486-cbf6b8708bcd.html

Also, does anyone know if the FR-S will become the 86 when it goes under the Toyota brand?

Other urls found in this thread:

toyota.com/upcoming-vehicles/86/
digitaltrends.com/cars/2018-toyota-supra-performance-news-specs/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Then they shouldn't have teamed up with Subaru.

toyota.com/upcoming-vehicles/86/

Thanks for this.

Does Veeky Forums think Toyota needs a halo car?

They have a Halo car, it's called the Prius.

When they first announced they were ending Scion, Toyota said the car would be renamed the Toyota FRS, a couple days later they backtracked and said they would go with the worldwide name, the 86. I dont know whrn, 2017 model year perhaps, it will be nice to see these with proper Toyota badges on them.

This article concerns me in that he statea even higher ups at Toyota have said, "I hope so" to a halo performance oriented car. I was under the assumption they teamed up with BMW and are working on a successor to the Supra.
Seriously, Toyota has mountains of cash. They made that new Prius look extremely aggressive, but come on, it's still a Prius. Get back to your heritage Toyota.

Could also subsitute Corolla in there. It's one of the most widely produced and sold cars of all time, it's the epitome of Japanese reliability, and it screams fuel economy, too.

>YFW
They have been under the Toyota brand this whole time

Not on the U.S. and Canada, though. I wonder if Toyota thought the FR-S could save the Scion brand.

I understand the concept of a halo car but can't believe it actually works in practice. Why would a new Supra make me proud to drive a Corolla?

Toyota Corolla's reputation for reliability just increases my desire for this car.

I don't think they do. They're the world leader in sales. Halo products in general are meant to be a marketing campaign to sell whatever it is your brand offers, and Toyota has no issue selling their products as it is

For example, the Audi R8 is probably the greatest halo car of all time because it sold the world on multiple parts of Audi's brand: the LED DRLs (new industry standard because of Audi's success), Audi being the "new luxury" so that people would put it in the same grouping as MB and BMW, and Audi being a sporty brand. It accomplished all three.

If you look at Toyota's attempt to shed its image of "retiree's vehicle" for Lexus, the LFA failed to copy what the R8 accomplished. That's Toyota's fault because they decided to forge substance for style with their new models instead of actually offering power and performance to go along with it. The IS 300 was on such a good path until they redesigned it and neutered its performance but ramped its design language up to 12/10 predator grilles. They failed to accomplish what Audi did, and that was only 4 years ago. It's too early for them to try again

>the LFA failed to copy what the R8 accomplished
The biggest difference between the LFA and the R8 is that the LFA was a planned short-run production car, with only 500 models produced. Lexus never intended to continuously produce this vehicle, especially at $450,000.

To be fair scion needed a car like the 86 a decade ago. A car the youth actually want instead of something just marketed to them. But now after scion basically cemented into being a failed cringey ricer brand, FR-S was a complete mess. People wanted the respected toyota brand, the 86; not Scion, not an fr-s.

I think they realized that now considering they killed scion and removed the FR-S name

>Scion
>Guys, let's build cars for people with NO MONEY WHATSOEVER

genious

Why is this car not called Celica?

>they killed Scion

Good riddance. Nothing good came of it. At least I hope you're not bullshitting.

Isn't it the spiritual successor to the AE86 Corolla? Isn't that the whole point?

>genious

>Isn't it the spiritual successor to the AE86 Corolla? Isn't that the whole point?
Marketing bullshit.

The car is an entry level/poorfag sports coupe for daily driving.
Its the same thing the celica was.

>Inb4 celica was fwd
First 3 gens were rwd and they only switched after having 2 other rwd sport cars in the line up.

> entry level/poorfag sports coupe for daily driving

...so just like the AE86 Corolla, then

It was just a sporty version of a normie car

Celica was already a thing back then

That's what the AE86 was, wasn't it? It was just a sporty Corolla that got a following thanks to a chinese cartoon.

>And let's make expensive features standard on Scions and make them optional on similar Toyota models.

Scions always did this, and it made them more expensive. It's not a good strategy for targeting the youth market.

>doesn't get what an Halo car is about
on today technologies and trends, the Prius or the Mirai it's current toyota Halo car

Keep in mind the AE86 wasn't the modern manufacturer's interpretation of "sporty" like the Corolla S or a Veloster is today, which are literally nothing but high trims. It actually had a few things to back up its relative sportiness.

I've always wondered if in some Toyota boardroom somewhere there has been legitimate debate about bringing the AE86 back.

I also wonder how much Toyota would sell one for.

NEW MR2 WHEN
PLEASE TOYOTA

only if GM brings back the Fiero

Yeeessss! I would go broke to buy one if they made a new mr2 revamped as a halo car.

Never, for some reason Toyota doesn't want to do 2 seaters anymore, much less a mid engine. With shit like the SFR being a no-brainer as a 2 seater, their refusal of making it one makes it seem like it's something they want to avoid

>owned 2013 FR-S since '12
>pic related not liking the new grill

And even then the cost per unit including development and tooling was still greater than the sale price.

The major points of halo cars are as technology demonstrators, whose less expensive tech trickles down to lesser models, and as a banner for the company as well as general styling direction. Unfortunately most car companies take that to mean UBER HYPE MARKETYING CAR when they really should be more focused on shear performance and technology. My personal pick for the right kind of halo car is the GTR, where Nissan rarely advertises it but uses it's tech in many of their cars.

I'm just hoping subaru fixes up the mess of styling. Wondering when the hell they'll reveal it too, feels like they're running late

Subaru did mention a new model coming soon (not a facelift) a few weeks ago and with any luck, I'd wager a bet they'd be the first to put a turbo on it given their massive experience level with turbo boxers and their contract with Toyota capping their sales of the car preventing competition.

Aren't they working on a new Engine with BMW? Doesn't BMW specialize in I6 engines? Didn't the Toyota Supra use an I6 engine?

my diesel vectra makes better mpgs, corollas can go fuck themselves

If it's true, it looks like a joint venture where each car company gets its own model. Toyota gets a new Supra, while BWM gets a new Z4.

digitaltrends.com/cars/2018-toyota-supra-performance-news-specs/

Yeah. Supposedly the FT1's design will get translated into a next-gen product Supra, while the same engine will go the next-gen BMW "Z5"

And here's a pic of the Z5 test mule

Sorry for the godawful photoshop, but basically I think we're getting an RC-F with a GT86 front (pic related)

>High
>Altitude
>Low
>Opening

What a world we live in where manufacturers are taking such great leaps in engineering.

I can't be the only one that things the new 'supra' looks fucking disgusting. That thing does not represent what the supra represented back in the day

>That thing does not represent what the supra represented back in the day
Is it supposed to?

Agreed. Mostly due to that "nose".
Well, yeah. Why call it the Supra if it doesn't?

Because the Supra hasn't been in production for 14 years. Design aesthetics have changed since then.

The MKIV looks disgusting and nothing like the other three, what's your point.

well how's it supposed to look like you dumb boomer

The last supra looked very different from the first 3 ...

This can't be real
Please tell me this isn't real