I'm interested in getting a motorcycle, but i'm not sure what would be good for a first one

I'm interested in getting a motorcycle, but i'm not sure what would be good for a first one,
I'd like something cheap but nice at the same time
any recommendations?

shameless self bump

Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki and Yamaha make starter models
All are pretty reliable and can be found used at a fair price

Hondas are indestructible, suzukis are cheap fun, kawasakis are rice tier, Yamaha are memes (except

That's what I've heard, in the same situation as OP.

I'm probably going for a Honda because muh reliability. Starting out with a 125cc, so it's either going to be shittons of 2-wheeled fun, or a slow heap of shit no matter what the brand.
I just want it to hold together/hold resale value while I gain experience and plan a bigger bike.

If your laws dont require you to start on a 125 then dont bother. It will get incredibly boring fast and you will wish you didnt. Just get a bigger bike and dont ride like an idiot.

>kawasakis are rice tier

>implying that's not le epin gixxer

Just get a ninja 250. They are fast enough for the highway, pretty light and easy to maneuver. A lot of people love their 250s, and only go up because they've gotten enough experience to handle a larger bike. Not saying you absolutely need experience for a 500 or the like, but if you don't like motorcycling selling a 250 is easy, especially right before summer.

You need a turbo busa

A 500 is probably the best for you if you've never touched a bike. Small enough that you probably won't kill yourself as quickly as you would on a supersport and big enough that you'll have fun on it longer than a 250. If you think you're up for it though, look at getting a 650.

Ye, but gixxers actually have the power to justify their meme status
>turbobusa
>ghost_rider.jgp

>turbobusa

You're right, it's not rice. It's niggertier.

>turbobusa
>niggertier
Maybe stretched, chrome rimz, wide rear...

What's a good amount of miles for a used bike?

You mean the majority of the ones in the US?

Hey guys! I'm new to this board and i am just wondering what a good beginner chopper would be. I've never really been interested in streetbikes or anything like that, but if I would need one to learn then I guess I would get one.

Almost any twin cylinder bike up to 650~ cc (or probably 800-1000 if it's a cruiser) should be fine as a first bike.

There are exceptions of course, like the old two stroke sportbikes from the 90's (TZR/RGV etc) which are about the last thing you should be on as a new rider.

I myself started on a NInja 250 and don't regret it but if you do a lot of 70mph riding you'll want something bigger.

There are a few four cylinder bikes that are good for newbies, like the FZ6R/XJ6N (not to be confused with the FZ6, different bike) for example, but you should probably stay away from the 600cc sportbikes (i.e. ZX-6R, GSX-R etc) as they're just too much bike for a new rider.

Your first bike most likely won't be your last, so getting something you'll "grow into" is a crock of bullshit and just a cop out for justifying getting a certain bike.

Godspeed, user. Wear all your gear and ride safely.

would a ninja 500 be a good choice?

Used Harleys would probably be best to look into

Sure, I don't see why not.

There's also the CB500 (both new and old) and GS500 in that vein as well, and the KLE500 if you want something more adventure bike ish.

Would a 450-650cc bike be good for a big guy with a girlfriend who wants to 2up?

Depends on which 450-650cc you're referring to.

Heard good things about 650 twins like the Ninja 650 or SV650 so maybe look into those.

Wouldn't recommend going two-up without at least a couple months of riding experience though, if not more.

cb400

>tfw I'm getting an XR650 soon
Still not sure if I should get the L or R though. I'll probably end up with the R.

Something from the picture.

Is getting a cruiser-style bike a bad idea for beginners? I'm getting the vibe that most people here recommend sport-style bikes for beginners...

Nothing wrong with them, id recommend something like the Kawasaki eliminator 250V, they hold their value well, handle really well and are extremely comfortable.

About the same power to weight ratio as most 850cc cruisers too so they are not exactly under powered, will still do 160km/h.

SV650 or any dual sport is good. FZ6R is also recommendable if you need the looks. I'd recommend a 650 instead as someone who's owned a FZ6R and SV1000S. SV1000 I absolutely adore and don't plan on selling ever unless I decide to get a Ducati Monster some day. Only complaint is cheap suspension.

Been riding for 18 years. Pls, all you faggots looking at getting bikes, do not start at anything under 600cc.
You will get bored to shit immediately.
I started on a 250cc and outgrew it within 2 months, which financially fucked me at the time because I'd just bought that 250cc and couldn't afford anything else.

Get a 600cc, take everything you do slow, ride back roads for a couple hundred miles or so to learn.
Pls save yourself the trouble and don't start small, start smart.

pics of your said bikes, nobike

If you had ridden bikes for years you would tell him to get a 650 because they are actually beginner friendly unlike literally any 600cc super sport and they are powerful enough that you never have to upgrade if you don't want to.

>Hyosung is on this list
>CBR250RR isn't

Vulcan, shadow, Magna, 883 all of these are relatively cheap cruisers

feel free to add to the picture, hundreds of bikes arent on there.

The misconception about riding a 600 vs a 250 is that the bike is actually any more difficult to ride. A 600 is not harder to ride, but it is far more likely that gixxer Jimmy is going to get overconfident on his 600 after 3 months of riding and come into a corner way too fast, resulting in a crash from not knowing how to handle it. A 250 will give you a second more go think about whether you are really prepared for the corner. I started on a 600cc f4i and I was fine, but I didn't try to push myself until about 6 months into it. Even then I was shit at riding compared to now, 2 years later

In conclusion, get a 600 only if you truly can control your urges to hoon around in your first week. Otherwise get a 650, 500, or 250

What about one of these?

bahaha
literally why? these are the cuckiest bikes i've ever seen. cruiserfags will laugh at you, squids will laugh at you, and normie riders will laugh at you.

I would go for the shadow, but I like honda more than anything

see? kit kat likes them. that is proof enough not to buy one.

This sv650 is a petfect beginner bike, first gen is styled similiar to ducati monster

Not at all, it's just that cruisers are generally heavier and don't have anywhere near the same cornering ability as a sport (or even a standard for that matter) style bike.

It's a shit list, it only has bikes made in the last couple of years on it.

Most of the LAMS approved bikes are made in the 80's/90's/00's anyway.

>buys a 250
>gets "bored" of it after two months, right as the real learning period is starting to begin
>recommends a 600 as a first bike

Yeah nah, you definitely didn't learn enough from the 250.

that gif was poorly chosen; full-blown mock-ridicule is not needed when we express disagreement