Q T D D T O T

Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread

>A thread for you to ask or answer questions that are either dumb or sensible.

Last QTDDTOT expired -

I'm driving a 2.5 TDi V6 Audi A4. The last garage I took it to was talking about who ever changed the timing belt last did a shitty job as it's meant to be set up though VAGCOM, and theres a bunch of tipex on the tensioners and belt, implying he didn't set it up by computer and just did it by eye.

The car drives exactly the same as before I had the belt changed. Should I be worried or is the other garage just talking shit?

Are there any decent diesel engines that can be swapped into Foxbody Mustang? By decent I mean reliable with good fuel economy like the WG 1.9TDI. Are engine swaps even worth the trouble in Europe? Are they even legal on cars that didn't have them before?

am I a faggot if i get an automatic 2015 camaro SS?

I just did the rear brake pads and rotors on my girlfriends jeep liberty and I think I fucked up somewhere.

I got on the highway to go home and after driving 65mph for about a minute it started to vibrate badly. Badly enough that I had to slow down and as soon as I tapped the brakes the vibration went away instantly. I promptly got off the highway and drive home through town. When I got home I made sure all the lug nuts were tight with a torque wrench to make sure it wasn't a loose wheel.

They also seemed really hot when I got home. Maybe I'm just being paranoid. They weren't smoking or anything.

Found two vehicles that look abandoned and I want to buy one, did a VIN check and found a lien flagged for both of them. Does the lien have anything to do with why they'd be abandoned?

Yes

You should have started your own thread so people can laugh at you without unnecessary offtopic.

Don't touch those, unless it's like a classic muscle for 500 bucks, it's not worth it

Only reason I considered it is because they are special editions and have low miles on both.

Just bought a 1987 Honda POS (civic). Needs new bumpers and skirts. Anyone know if a body kit for a 1989 civic would work? Or anywhere that sells 87 body kits? Can't find shit on Google.

Go to a junk yard and buy the oem bumpers instead of some gay Mexican aftermarket body kit

Pls halp, I have to drive it back to her house soon.

So I wanna buy a C4 Vette since they're at their cheapest now and I want something that'll be fun without too much work to be put into it. Unfortunately, my area is filled with jews and boomers, so picking are slim unless I wanna pay out the ass. Most of the cheap and decent ones are automagics, and so far I've found only one manual.

The problems are basically:
A: I've never driven and manual and don't know if I want to kill this one's tranny learning
B: Most of my driving's gonna be stop and go traffic since I'm gonna daily this thing

I'm aiming specifically for 85-89 because of the interior, even is the engine isn't as nice as the later models. As a result, if I get the only manual, not only will I pay 9 grand instead of 5-6, it'll also be the 4 speed instead of a 6. Is it really worth the extra cash to shell out for the manual, especially given my usual driving route?

Alot of people say you should go for manual no matter what, but I don't think thats reasonable. I bought my 78 C3 in 3 speed auto, sure it leaves something to be desired but it doesn't mean I don't love my car. I use it as my daily driver as long as it isn't raining and I love it. Learning manual isn't that hard, and I doubt you do any damage while learning, and start and stop traffic isn't that bad in a manual unless its in the city. I don't think it should be that much of a price difference for a manual, but keep in mind there should be other things to look for that are more important than manual vs auto when looking at your first vette.

Is the "ground" connection on a car the same all over?

In other words, if I "ground" some wire on the metal from my trunk, is it the same ground as grounding something to the engine block?

How does Ruf get away with a manufacturers designation when they just put bodykits on Porsches?

Bomex can't put some horseshit front lip on an 88 CRX and it's magically registered as a 2016 "Bomex Fagbutt Attack Series Gold R GT-R Type R Turbo R Spec R model "

I'm hammered but explain this faggotry and don't give me that "they change a certain percentage of the car and German manufacturing standards allows a new manufacturing title".

If I buy Auschwitz, tear down everything, then rebuild it identically as before except now with speed yellow gas chambers and carbon fiber crematoriums I CAN'T SUDDENLY CLAIM IT'S A BRAND NEW PLAYGROUND.
IT'S THE SAME GODDAMNED CONCENTRATION CAMP EXCEPT NOW ARABS WILL WANT TO BE PHOTOGRAPHED IN IT.

FUCK

Practically yes.

What could cause a noise simular to worn/old tappers with moderate acceleration?

Well, if you really think it's worth it for the special edition you can always swap the tranny...

Why swap the tranny?

because automatics are shit

Why would you assume they're automatics? Both cars are manual transmission.

Oh I thought you were the other user he was replying to, my bad.

> If I buy Auschwitz, tear down everything, then rebuild it identically as before except now with speed yellow gas chambers and carbon fiber crematoriums I CAN'T SUDDENLY CLAIM IT'S A BRAND NEW PLAYGROUND.
>IT'S THE SAME GODDAMNED CONCENTRATION CAMP EXCEPT NOW ARABS WILL WANT TO BE PHOTOGRAPHED IN IT.

You magnificent bastard

I think you're confusing RUF and Rauh welt crap.

>when they just put bodykits on Porsches?

Because they don't.

>I'm hammered

Oh. Fuck off, then.

RUF is a registered manufacturer. Their cars are sold as RUFs not Porsches.

RWB is just a glorified nippon stancefag

>Their cars are sold as RUFs not Porsches.

To a maximum of 500km on the odo. As in, if you bought a new Porsche, but want it converted to a...say Turbo R, it'll be a Ruf, as long as it's below 500km. Above that, it'll be a Ruf tuned Porsche.

Just to be anal.

Yes I know that. I was implying that what that person thinks RUF does is actually what RWB does.

Ahh didn't know that, I thought RUF bought new Porsches and remanufactured before ownership. Didn't know you could give them your used car.

How do they stack up against the other tuners like gemballa, 9ff and others?

They're my favorite just because of yellowbird.

Gotcha, very true

>I thought RUF bought new Porsches and remanufactured before ownership.

They receive a shell and an engine block from Porsche. That's a "genuine" Ruf, if you will. But you do have the option to get your shiny new Porsche converted into a Ruf.

They really do everything, though.
Hell, you can give them a 964, have it restored to mint by them, then converted into a BTR. With the difference that it'll be designated a tuned Porsche 964, not a Ruf BTR.

Awesome company.

What's the cheapest Automatic Transmission Fluid I can get for my 2008 Honda Accord? Everyone says get OEM fluid, but it's a little pricey, since I need to get quite a few quarts of the thing. It's almost the same price as if I let a shop do it that I know uses OEM ATF.

>How do they stack up against the other tuners like gemballa, 9ff and others?

They don't just give the cars all the power a turbo can squeeze out of a 3.8. They make the cars powerful, but insanely reliable.

9ff, especially with the bigger tunes, are just a nightmare. Many owners say they have the cars in the garage more than at home. But that's what you get, when you want 1200hp.
Techart is supposed to be a pretty good Porsche tuner, too.
Gemballa is just fuck.

check if everything is tightened down, usualy people do not tighten the lugnuts well enough.

has everyrhing to do with them, those cars are bought by people who leave the country and park it somewhere they think is safe.

>go to the junkyard for a '87
>hope to find 29yr old car with enough parts
what junkyards are you going to?

I did find both inside a parking structure. Both are also two owner cars that have never left the state they were sold in. One also has current tags, I don't think the other had tags.

popeye leg! why not get somethung else for this kind of money or look in the neighboring cities? i usualy look upto 80miles from my place for cars. My most recent p.o.s. i got for 1 grand. 2006 fuckus zx4 with 80k on it and no problems beyond a iac that was gunked up. came clean with tints, 2 full size spares with the matching rim, a decent aftermarket stereo and amp.
>tl:dr you'll find a better car further away from the goys and spics.

Why would someone get a piece of shit?

2014 MKZ with god knows what trip v 2014 fusion hybrid platinum?
i know that they're both mechanically the same

say i tune my car, lets just say it is a ferd shitstang. Say for whatever reason i need to claim warranty, i don't know, my air compressor blew up, the issue is my car is tuned. I hear that reverting it back to stock and driving 50-100 miles will remove traces of the tune to dealer level equipment. How true is this and how much trouble will dealerships on average go through to prove you warranty was voided.

Can someone suggest a permanent 4wd GM SUV or pickup with a Vortec V8

LS400 vs. Q45

which one is better? thinking of buying a comfy luxobarge and those are the 2 options I've come down to. Which do you think is better and why? Also if you have any other suggestions let me know.

The LS400 comes with god-tier 1UZ-FE

but its slower than the VH45DE

Doing any ecu tune to a warranty vehicle that was bought from the dealership is risky. Sometimes it works other times not. I can't speak for the driving it X miles but it sounds like shenanigans to me

This is true. Do you want fast?

not necessarily, but somewhat yes

Is it bad to ride the clutch if only to move up a car length in bad traffic?

what's the best way to move up a car length? 100 hp shitbox

using motul 5.1 brake fluid for the clutch line is a bit over kill, is it not?

thanks to my new gig, i get oils and car shit for cheap now so i can splurge on my shit boxes. but my only oil options are liquid moly, motul and red line.

Steering wheel is jerking/fighting vwhen I turn, though it gets better as the drive goes on.

Belt was a bit loose so I replaced it. But it was still acting up. Mechanic said rack and pinion, so I reluctantly did it. And it worked, briefly. Now it's doing it again and I was told the power steering pump needs to be replaced. So I did it and it did nothing, in fact my check oil light is even on now. Now I'm being told to again replace the rack and pinion.

Google says CV joint, but when I brought it up the mechanic says that has nothing to do with steering. But.. It does, doesn't it?

What should I do? Listen to the mechanic or what? Any idea as to what could be causing this problem?

>Is it bad to ride the clutch if only to move up a car length in bad traffic?
you'll probably stall if you don't, thats what its there for

riding the clutch and ruining the clutch happens at higher speed when the friction is so much greater.

thanks mang!!!

i keep seeing online that it's bad to ride the clutch, but i guess it's okay at the lowest crawl...

it's super bad to ride the clutch at all. you need to counterclutch.

go to another mechanic, preferably asian

but yea if you're just idling and moving up in traffic, just let off the clutch, give it the mildest amount of gas just enough to roll forward and stop again.

Any idea what the problem could be though? CV? Alignment?

what does that mean?

How reliable is a Toyota Tercel in reality? I hear they last forever without minor repairs and stuff but it all sounds too good to be true.

you need to take it in and let another mechanic drive it around. don't tell them about it

You're not riding the clutch by simply rolling forward in your car

Differences of a few mm's make a big difference in how rigid an anti-roll bar is. If I wrap an anti roll bar in duct tape will that do anything?

Buy one for yourself and run your own experiment

bump pls

>Differences of a few mm's make a big difference in how rigid an anti-roll bar is.
Yes, absolutely.
If I wrap an anti roll bar in duct tape will that do anything?
lol no

Why tho, duct tape is pretty strong so surely it will make a little bit of difference?

Okay, go do it. Report back when you feel the huge difference it makes.

I'm only asking assbait, my car has a cracked anti roll bar thanks to driving over a fucking flower bed which was covered in snow so I couldn't see. My car already understeers like a pig so I was wondering if there was anything else I could do.

If you are swapping a diesel into a mustang, it would only be worth it if it made it faster and cooler, because it's bound to be a major project. Your best chance of a painless swap would be a Ford powerstroke from a truck, maybe a 6 cyl high displacement Cummins. Don't go with a nutless and gutless 1.9 anything, it's not worth it senpai.

Im thinking about purchasing a Euro 1981 Mercedes 240D as a Daily Driver.

I have never owned a diesel. What are the pros and cons of owning a diesel?

pic related.

Make sure every clip or retaining ring is on correctly and everything is torqued to spec. Ensure that the back wheels spin by hand with the back jacked up and the transmission in neutral. If you really don't know, take it to a shop because brakes are fucking bad to screw up.

I have a DCT transmission, and my clutch slips. I've heard that increasing the clutch plate pressure will help the slipping. What on earth is a clutch plate and how does this all work?

mercedes om606, om628, om629, om 647, om648, om612, om613

bmw m57 and m67

>rear brake pads
Discs I'm guessing? Is it a top hat style? Replace the rotors? If so the shoes inside may need adjustment, most often they self adjust by setting the ebrake and releasing it several dozen times

Is the Lexus SC 300 literally just an N/A MK4 Supra?

I need headrests for the second row seats in my 07 Impreza wagon. Will I need to find the exact year and model, or am I able to go to another year and/or model to find some more?

>permanent 4wd

What's wrong with a lever? I don't recall Chevy Tcases being made of swiss cheese.

How reliable are first gen dodge Dakotas? Looking at a 91 club cab, 318 auto with around 160k.

What are good websites to see car reliability stats? Consumer reports? Trying to gauge the reliability of a 2015 Chrysler 300

Personal experience. :^)

What's some good eurobeat to burn on one cd?

If I wanted to get the service manual for my car (2009 g5 Pontiac) without paying $200+ where would I go? This stereo is being a pain in the ass. (see pic(not mine, but close enough))

>ancient N/A diesels
Slow, very. Redline at 4k. Good for highway commuting, decent torque. You might have issues starting it in winter.

I am asking for my brother, I don't drive, but I would like to confirm this suspicion.

Could the fuel filters get dirty and consequently impair the ignition if one often drives fueled by the "reserve" (not sure if it translated literally), because that's the dirtiest part of the fuel?

it comes with an aftermarket block heater

>decent torque
Yeah, it's not really compared to a similar sized gas engine.

I get mine on eBay. The PDF discs are usually super cheap.

so i can use it on tarmac without blowing the driveline to bits
i've only found trailblazer ss

needed a work car
>95 previa
>2014 prius c
>2006 fuckus
>2007 corolla
>95 corolla
>47 torpedo
why do i own any of these p.o.s. currently, no fucking idea.

I want to get one of those little handheld scanners that you can just plug into your car and it'll tell you what's wrong with it as far as codes, CELs and other christmas lights. I hear there are bluetooth dongles for Android as well that can perform the same function.

How do I into this? What should I look up?

i ran into some financial issues and i had to sell my 2012 passat,i now need something just till i bounce back
i was thinking maybe a 2008 - 2010 civic or any toyota but apparently i can get saabs for just as cheap,mainly 9-3s and the like,2002 - 2005 are the most common
in general,with no regard to how the actual car im looking at has been treated,saabs or civics?

google/amazon/ebay obd2 bluetooth
personally i prefer my creader pro 123 red, goes further than just dtc.

Did I fuck up Veeky Forums?

>pic related showed up today. [Heard having this cover without all the "The best" shit is rare]
>choose the Bunta mobile [manual of course]
>do well on Akagi and Akina until Ryuosuke shows up
>keep getting my shit pushed in by his duriftos
>how do I git gud?

What if I wanted to get it for free? ebay didnt help.

>then torrent alldata or mitchel on demand 5
or you could do a meet up with others of the same model and they might have what you're looking for

My clear coat is peeling off and i don't have the money to get it all redone. Is there anything I can do to keep it from getting worse?

waxing would help protect it. for small spots i'd suggest using nail polish clear coat. the whole thing should run you around 20 bucks in material. the rest is on you in labor.

civic or sab
>one's out of buissness and extremely popular in china the other is chink style but for burgerland.