So my dad spent $3,000 to get his 92 RS front painted and repaired

So my dad spent $3,000 to get his 92 RS front painted and repaired.
the car is worth like $2,500
he thinks it worth a lot of money now, because some other Boomer told him.

Tell him his car is worth whatever he wants it to be worth, but what it's actually worth is a totally different story.

Even the most optioned out original turdgens (z28 350tpi, t-tops, power windows/locks/hatch) are selling lower than $5,000. Your dad has a base model.

He might be wrong about the value, but there's nothing wrong with taking care of a car you like.

that model has the 305 in it, drove in in high school.
>painfully slow.
i wanted 2 LS swap it, but now he thinks it's a gem or something.

Looks good desu.

And its probably worth around $5000 now user, whoever did that front end did a really damned good job on it, talk about straight.

If the interior is fucking mint, miles are under 100k, engine bay is clean and everything works, you could conceivably get 5k or maybe even 6k for it

the damage was to the POS plastic bumper and hood.
idk if anyone would pay $5K for a 5.0L with 140K miles,
it's clean, but 5K for a 92?

How slow is painfully slow?

305 auto's are kinda slow

it made 170 horsepower brand new.
had 2:73 rear gears
>SLOWWWWW

Ever think maybe your old boy just loves his car?
Entirely possible that he is a retard but still.
Love is love.

What about in stick? I ask 'cause I've been looking at 305/T5 turd gens (due to not wanting to deal with T56 swapping a 350 model).

Oh dear.

the stick was like a second quicker
depends on the year

>How slow is painfully slow?
17 second 1/4 miles.

It'll do a tolerable 0-60 at about 7 seconds but really loses oomph after that.

i still like that turd gen as it was my 1st car, but spending more than the cars worth is crazy

LS swap it dude,
get a cheap ass 4.8/5.3 with a T56.
swap parts are cheap as fuc these days

I had an 89 iroc-z with every option available besides twin catalysts. Stereo sys, 16in wheels, t-tops, 5.7L, 9 bolt borg warner posi rear. Took it apart and junked it cause it was a rusty mess. See the road thru the trunk floor. No real frame and shit metal. If that car is in good shape i could see it being worth some $ one day as there will be less 3rd gen camaros around than 2nd or first, due to they're not worth restoring the entire uni body.

And you do know that most of those are not TBI 305's but the more powerful Tuned Ports and 350's. About the only one there closest is the '83 and I misjudged the 0-60 by a couple of seconds. Deal w/it.

it's a california car, so there isn't any rust on it.

There's also the problem of the 305 itself. The 305 engine can't make power for shit due to the retarded small bore/large stroke thing it's got going on. There's no room for large valves to let more air in. It has the stroke of a 350 and the smallest bore of any Chevy small block. Since it can't get large amounts of air in and out quickly, it can't make much power.
By contrast, the similarly sized (in cubic inches at least) Chevy 302 (offered from 1967-1969 in the Camaro Z28 only) had the block and 4" bore of a 350, but the small 3" stroke of a 283. The 302 gained a reputation as a screamer capable of revving to 8 grand and could make about as much power as you wanted because it used the opposite formula of the 305 (big bore/small stroke)

IMO, the best engine to build for a 1980's Z28 would be an LT1 from a 90's model with the crankshaft of an L99 4.3L V8 (only available in the 1993-1996 Caprice). Voila. A modern 302.

Veeky Forums ate my pic.

nothing about that 305 was for performance.
everything is bad
heads
cam
manifolds
carb or tbi

Is he doing it to sell it? Or is it "his" car. By which which I mean the one he always wanted / had for years / fixed himself. If it's because he just really likes it and wants to keep it clean, let him do it. Only live once, eh?

he keeps his cars
often for too long
has a 1990 suburban with 300K miles
still drives it

So the he just wanted it repainted. Deal with it faggot, people like having nicer things. Push him towards decent rear end gears though.

Then he knows how to take care of his machines. DESU, you're sounding kind of whiny right now.

Kek, forgot the word filter.

he wasn't very good at mantiance at all.
all he did was change his oil at 3K
that car went through like 3x 700r4 trans
like 2 rear ends
he put tons of money into that POS