Just thought I would share my fuckup today. I thought I should try fixing my car myself for once...

Just thought I would share my fuckup today. I thought I should try fixing my car myself for once. If I'm so passionate about them might as well learn how to fix shit.

Today I was doing my brakes for the first time.
The front discs were easy. I had no problem with them! It went awesome for the first time!

Holy fuck those drums in the rear though.

>take off drum covers.
>What the fuck is this.

Also today I learned that your aren't supposed to hit the brake pedal with the drum covers off and I blew a piston.

So! Doing brakes for the first time all by yourself.

3/10 Experience. Dangerous and stupid.

Find someone who knows what they are doing to help you.

That sucks dude :(

Yeah, I can't even drive it now because there is no pressure in the brakes. I don't know what I'm going to do.

...but at least I have a bike!

Buy new wheel cylinders and replace em theyre cheap
Then bleed the brakes

The brake pads on drum brakes are the half-circles held back with retention springs. When you hit the brake pedals, the piston goes outwards and pushes the half circle brake pad against the inside of the drum. That's the way the brake works.

You aren't supposed to hit the pedal without a disk either.

This. Drums get easy after a couple cracks at it

>Holy fuck those drums
It has nothing to do with drums. Try pressing the brakes with a front caliper off the disk and you will experience similar level of discomfort. If you didn't do it on the front, why did you on the rear?

Have fun bleeding the brakes

I did my first drum-job a month ago and one of the springs ripped open the master cylinder. It added 20 minutes to an already annoying project

I was excited to see if the pedal feel was different with my new thicker brake pads. So I didn't even wait until the drums were finished.

Do you wear a helmet out in public?

>one of the springs ripped open the master cylinder
You need to calm the fuck down when you work on your car.

>one of the springs ripped open the master cylinder
HOW did you stretch that spring from the rear wheel ALL the way up to the engine bay where the Master Cylinder is located?

He will be able to put that piston back in much easier than replacing the wheel cylinder. As long as the seal goes back in right they will be fine.

Also working on a few things, OP... I feel your pain.

Anyone know where I can find a new TBI system for my 94 Chevy V6? (1500 Cheyenne package)

Ive looked until I couldnt look at the computer anymore and it almost looks like rebuild kits are the only option...

Ah sucks dude, but nice to see you giving it a shot. For a first time job I wouldn't recommend doing brakes, they're a little too important to fuck up. What someone above said, get someone with experience to help you, it'll be much easier.
But as long as you didn't put on the brake pads backwards I'd say you did pretty well for a first time

First time I did brakes, the calipers were so rusty, I decided to use a brass mallet to get them back into place. Swung and hit my thumb.

17 year old me didnt cry, tho... My dad just brought me out a beer and said "You aint gonna do that again, are ya boy?"

did you watch chrisfix, OP

AC Delco still sells their OEM distributor on amazon, but its $300+, and I was looking for the v8 one, no idea on v6. then you'd need the egr valve, tubing, and maybe an o2 sensor or something