Have assassins guilds ever existed in the real world?

Have assassins guilds ever existed in the real world?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assassins
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ninja#Iga_and_K.C5.8Dga_clans
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Hassan I Sabbah haschaschins in Middle East
Thugees in India

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assassins
Well, the Assassins, as a start...

Fuck off to /v/ with your video game nonsense.

If you need me to fucking kebabify it for you, the Nizari Hashashin, but given that it's actually where the word "assassin" comes from it would be a good place to fucking start, but okay yeah off to /v/ I go I suppose.

I don't know about guilds, but Sengoku-era ninjas were organized in clans and could be hired out as mercenaries. They were usually spies and saboteurs though, I'm not sure how big actual assassination was with them.

>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ninja#Iga_and_K.C5.8Dga_clans
>A distinction is to be made between the ninja from these areas, and commoners or samurai hired as spies or mercenaries. Unlike their counterparts, the Iga and Kōga clans produced professional ninja, specifically trained for their roles. These professional ninja were actively hired by daimyos between 1485 and 1581, until Oda Nobunaga invaded Iga province and wiped out the organized clans.

Were Assassins ever hired to work for non-Nizaris?

They were sort of proto-islamic terrorists.

Not really a guild though, more like a terrorist organization

The 72 virgins thing actually originates with them.

There do exist hitman agencies/groups

I dunno about these though:

a medieval association of craftsmen or merchants, often having considerable power.

an association of people for mutual aid or the pursuit of a common goal.

Afaik the ninja assassin stuff is pretty much a complete pop culture fabrication

what's the difference?

That's kind of a weird association. Considering the assassins worked with the Crusader States often, and that they didn't kill random civilians, just their assassination targets.

>a medieval association of craftsmen or merchants, often having considerable powe
Hanseatic league, Venetian league and so on

Assassin guilds kill for money, these guys did it for political and religious purposes
Terrorism doesn't need to include random acts of violence, assassination counts as well

Terrorism is using fear to get what they wanted. Unless the assassins were using fear to spread the influence of their ideology then they weren't terrorists.

well, if we're considering OP's posting of the morag tong, neither are they. They're a state sanctioned religious order that takes part in a customary method of warfare.

Historically, no. Most assassins have been religiously or politically motivated, and if they have a support structure, it's part of their religious or political base.

Well presumably people are afraid of getting assassinated and leave the crazy bastards well alone.
It worked with Saladin IIRC

the black hand

Why would you need a whole guild of them?

Wouldn't any group of organized killers just end up being mercenaries?

weren't thuggees a religious death cult rather than contract killers?

Dark Brotherhood

>assassins guild
It's called a security agency or secret police.

Amusing.

Lawful and official organizations like the Morag Tong? Fuck no.
Rent-a-hitman organizations? Sure, every fifth crime syndicate did it.

>Why would you need a whole guild of them?
In the game context, because they are literally a lawful organization with heavy religious undertone (and the setting is a theocracy) and their behaviour is very heavily regulated.