ITT: retarded Veeky Forums shit you used to believe as a kid

ITT: retarded Veeky Forums shit you used to believe as a kid

I'll start

>I used to think that hood pins on muscle cars were attatched to the engine so nobody could steal it

I had a great explanation on why the E39 M5 was slow in need for speed high stakes.

It was because the rear was "plump".

I used to think hood pins were electrical leads necessary for high power sports cars.

In my defense, they looked a lot like electrical leads. I also blame Gone In 60 Seconds.

I used to think a car's power came from shooting smoke out of the exhaust pipe

you win

I think the biggest change in my thinking as a kid was when I realized that muscle cars were just shells, and the car didn't even matter. if you took a chevelle 454, and put it in a race with a vega with the same motor, the ALMIGHTY CHEVELLE would lose.

I used to love "american muscle" and thought that everything else was inferior

I used to think that turbocharged and supercharged were just bullshit things that little kids said to sound cool. It was the complete opposite.

I thought the transmission was the electrical shit in a car

Used to think that civics were the stupidest and riceiest thing that anyone could buy.
And then I bought a 97' civic coupe.
Also thought that Herbie the love bug was a documentary until I was like 10

All about that sweet ecoboost/vortec/Cummings

Mom's Accord was RWD because there was a hump on the floor between the rear seats.

Turn signals came on when you turned the wheel far enough.

All cars had manual transmissions.

I used to think every car was RWD or AWD

I used to think rwd meant the car turned with the back wheels, like those retarded cars from the 80s

Coffee counts as drinking and driving.

Really though why do FWD cars have the hump in the middle in the back floor?

Does in Straya, just as a distracted driver charge though

Lincoln Towncars looked cool

So did I. Learning the truth hurt :(

>Cummings

You fucking faggot

I thought all cars were rwd or 4wd. Never heard of fwd till i was 13 or so

I think for awd? Idk though

I used to think if a car's speedo went really high that meant it's fast.
Even though it is kind of true for the most part, some cars do have optimistic speedos

4 stroke == 4 cylinders

Exhaust/wiring, or some models have AWD options and use the same frame

>depictions of manual cars are people driving autos but stomping the brake and shifting drive neutral drive really fast
>4 on the floor meant that there were buttons on the floor you stomp to charge gears
>engines were connected directly to the wheels without any sort of transmission

>V6 = version 6
>V8 = version 8

>tfw can't relate to this thread
>tfw dad was a diesel mechanic who explained all this shit to me

Exhaust, wiring, but mainly because it helps in structural strength. Putting a bend in the steel adds a lot to the structural strength/rigidity.

>tfw so clueless about cars until recently that I assumed nothing

I use to think subaru was an austalian brand

Exhaust tips = horsepower
Horsepower>literally everything else
NAWS = flames out the exhaust

That in 4 bangers 1 cylinder powered each wheel.

I thought Subaru was Australian for the longest time.

>any car could be made to beat any other car with enough bolt-on mawds

I mean this is how a jet engine works, so it's not THAT stupid.

I thought front wheel drive meant the front wheels turned, rear wheel drive meant the rear wheels turned, and all wheel drive meant all wheels turned direction of the car.

I thought the tranny was basically a big drive train from the wheels to the engine, and as you speed up this little cursor thing runs up the length of the shaft. It shift it jumps over a cog to shift gears on the drive train and you keep going up. In 6th gear, at 7k rpm you literally cannot go any further than that because you'd be hitting the engine block. Kind of hard to explain.

I used to think that cars were made by a manufacturer exactly the way it had to be. Like, you couldn't change anything or it wouldn't work right. I didn't understand how people could put different wheels or different engine parts like new air intakes on and still have it work right. For some reason I thought it was engineered exactly as it had to be in order to function.

no it isn't

But then how does reverse work?

You were mostly right.

i thought one wheel spun forward and one wheel spun backwards on all cars

I used to think that RPMs meant the rotational speed of the wheels.

I used to think this too. Blame the adverts with Crocodile Dundee "subaru outback mate!" Thankfully got gran turismo 1 shortly after.

>when i was really young, I thought you made the car move forward by turning the steering wheel side to side repeatedly

>when i was a bit older i used to troll my dad whenever he mentioned a car has a V8
>me: that means it has 8 valves
>dad: reeeeeeeee!

I thought the hazard button was to blow up the engine, didn't know manuals existed until I was 12, and thought that if a car had a turbo that meant it could go 200mph.

>accidentally press the hazard button
>god dammit! why do they include this!?

Hmmmmm wonder what powers it then.

I used to think body kits, wings, neon, spinners, and all other rice garbage meant a car was a race car

Thanks NFS

lol same. Thought it was similar to a 'sport' trim or some shit

>tfw speed limiter at 92
My fucking speedo goes to 120, end me.

Most of a turbine's thrust comes from its bypassed air, not the exhaust air.

I used to think that the Celica was a cool car.

The bypass air still has to leave the back of the engine buddy

Not everything is a high bypass turbofan engine.

Of course, but that user implied that a turbine engine's thrust output was determined solely by its exhaust air.

This is me.

Same here

I thought that manual transmission cars were only for sports cars.

Is this not true?
I've never owned anything but BMWs, their speedos are basically all set to cap out at their top speed.

that'd be hektik
>turning right by pulling into the middle of the street and then driving sideways
you could even make cars where you sit in a rotating cockpit in the center and the wheels turn 360 degrees

When the gear ratio is 1:1 you're correct.

>what is all wheel steering

I thought that if you kept pressing the brake after you're already stopped the car would go in reverse.

If you're talking about the shit that the R34 has, not the same.

Whatever the hell you're talking about doesn't exist.
I don't know how you got that from his post.

I always thought lexus was German and diahatsu chinese.

I know it doesn't exist, that's why it's in this thread. What the guy thought as a kid is that all four wheels turned the same direction when you turn the steering wheel. The closest thing to that is the steering shit that the R34 has where the back wheels turn slightly in the opposite direction of the front wheels to reduce turning radius.

Well, that's not entirely untrue if you remove "bolt-ons"

when i was reallllllly young i used to think that tiny programming slaves lived in the radio

>The more tailpipes the car had, the faster it was
>Muscle > Tuner (the whole mentality, no actual numbers or anything)
>a tuned civic can beat any Lamborghini(thanks NFS)

>No replacement for displacement

used to wonder why people bought fancy sports car to go fast when all they had to do in a regular car was push the pedal down further.

Incoming pointless history lesson:

Honda actually experimented with a two-way 4WS system that ended up getting added on the Prelude from 1988 to 2001, and certain Accords around 1990.

In case that diagram doesn't make too much sense, at slight angles, all 4 wheels would turn in-phase style, so the car could do slight adjustments without rotating the body much such as lane changes. At higher steering angles, the rear tires would change into the counter-phase style, and do something similar to the GTR's ATTESA system to reduce the turning circle.

So it does actually exist, just in a rather specific platform. Adds another reason to why I like the Prelude though.

When I was a kid I thought the more "speeds" (gears) the transmission had, the faster the car would go.. like rocket boosters or something