Lets have a thread about quality Veeky Forums podcasts, youtube channels and similar things

Lets have a thread about quality Veeky Forums podcasts, youtube channels and similar things

Stuff that can be listened to while commuting

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=-0YsoaN__8U
youtube.com/user/lindybeige)
youtube.com/user/scholagladiatoria)
youtube.com/user/YaleCourses)
reddit.com/r/history/wiki/recommendedlist#wiki_podcasts.3A
youtube.com/channel/UCv_vLHiWVBh_FR9vbeuiY-A
youtube.com/user/lindybeige/featured
youtube.com/user/scholagladiatoria/featured
youtube.com/user/SkallagrimNilsson/featured
youtube.com/user/ThegnThrand/featured
youtube.com/channel/UCIjGKyrdT4Gja0VLO40RlOw/featured
youtube.com/user/shadmbrooks
youtube.com/user/ReligionForBreakfast/videos
youtube.com/watch?v=8PuaUR3cFps
youtube.com/watch?v=0ERSx1o8wwk
youtube.com/channel/UCmmMFJIKfsSLNVxA55Kt42Q
youtube.com/watch?v=MpPNbI6GcxI
youtube.com/channel/UCK09g6gYGMvU-0x1VCF1hgA
youtube.com/watch?v=ZC8JcWVRFp8&list=PL851F45079A91C3F2
youtube.com/watch?v=XmFBC0uuVf0
twitter.com/AnonBabble

you can start anytime OP

youtube.com/watch?v=-0YsoaN__8U

New channel

Here's just a smattering of stuff I enjoy. Pardon the Rome bias

Podcasts
>Ancient Warfare Magazine Podcast
>History of Rome
>Revolutions
>Hardcore History
>In Our Time: History
>A History of Byzantium

TV Shows/Documentaries
>Rome: Rise and Fall of an Empire
>The Civil War (Ken Burns)
>The World at War (1973)
>Rome (HBO Productions)

Youtube Channels
>Lindybeige (youtube.com/user/lindybeige)
>ScholaGladitoria (youtube.com/user/scholagladiatoria)
>Yale Courses (youtube.com/user/YaleCourses)

>historical podcast
Gee. So many choises!
>history of Rome
>history of WWII
>history of the Roman empire
>history of Rome
>history of rome
>history of the roman emperors
>history of the city of rome
>history of roman empire
>history of rome
>history of wwii
>history of the second world war
>history of world war 2
>hitler
>churchhill
>hitler
>churchhill
>hitler
>hitler
>hitler
>stalin
>hitler
>stalin
Like I said. So many choises

This 2bh. I'd watch a labor or social history channel but no one does things like that because there's no audience for them.

reddit.com/r/history/wiki/recommendedlist#wiki_podcasts.3A

youtube.com/channel/UCv_vLHiWVBh_FR9vbeuiY-A

Historia Civilis best youtube channel on roman politics so far.

>Lindybeige
You disgust me

what's wrong with lindy?

The Great War Channel

>Ratio of Fire
>Bren v. 'Spandau' retardation
>Tripods give bullets more 'power'

Just to name a few of his more idiotic moments in the last few months. He basically thinks he is smarter than he actually is, especially when talking about firearms and modern military stuff.

Knyght Errant.

I would recommend "Dan Carlin's Hardcore History",however I figure most people here have seen them already.

A list of some good military history youtubers.

>Lindybeige youtube.com/user/lindybeige/featured
All round rambling about various subjects, the sort of thing you might never have wondered about, or you might, a lot of his videos revolve around myth busting and breaking misconceptions, quirky and entertaining

>ScholaGladiatoria youtube.com/user/scholagladiatoria/featured
Pretty much all about swords, there's no better youtube authority on the practical and physical uses of swords and other melee weapons, on the surface he isn't very charismatic but something keeps you interested, he just seems nice

>Skallagrim youtube.com/user/SkallagrimNilsson/featured
Basically reviews and info on actually buying swords and other weapons, he's very useful in this regard, he covers combat use of weapons too but not as much as ScholaGladiatoria, he also delves into myth busting a bit like Lindy

>ThegnThrand youtube.com/user/ThegnThrand/featured
These guys pretty much entirely revolve around experimental archaeology, the majority of their videos involve stabbing authentic chainmail with authentic swords, throwing javelins at shields, and screaming loudly while thrusting. Great stuff

>Metatron youtube.com/channel/UCIjGKyrdT4Gja0VLO40RlOw/featured
Metatron does a varied bunch of videos, but he mainly stays around debunking ridiculous documentaries, equipment comparisons, or lengthy explanations of historical concepts and weaponry which is where he is at his best.

>Shadiversity youtube.com/user/shadmbrooks
Shad mostly does very long videos where he explains concepts and equipment in a very long and detailed manner, but not boring. He is great for more in depth knowledge on a specific subject.

Can these guys just stop until they get better English? It really ruins it, it's like torture to listen to.

>ThegnThrand

I wish these guys werent absolute trash. They make interesting videos but i just cant get past the white trash-ness of them.

>Stuff that can be listened to while commuting
listen to a language learner course

Already on it せんぱい

I live around rednecks that would be considered "white trash" and ThegnThrand and his buckos aren't even on the same level as my neighbours, they are seriously and completely below the level that they're almost on rock bottom. It's so weird watching them when they're linked or something because you're right, it's so... trashy. I can't even really figure out why.

>ReligionForBreakfast
youtube.com/user/ReligionForBreakfast/videos

He does interesting videos about religion and magic. He focuses more on Christianity, Christian heresies, and Christian history though.

you didnt mention tv shows but if all you want is the setting and dont care too much about deviation from fact then the following are worth watching:
>Vikings
Follows the possibly real Ragnar Lothbrok, Rollo, Aslaug, and Bjorn Ironside. Also deals with Charles and Odo in Francia, and Ecbert, Aella, Aethulwulf, and Alfred in England.
>Marco Polo
sometimes its shit sometimes its great cheesy fun with a setting/time period/ not often truly explored in western media. Deals pretty heavily with Kublai Khan attempting to unify China, and the Kaidu Kublai feud.
>Rome
you've already watched it im sure

Questionable statements abound.
>talking about the non-metal armors of the Greeks
>"well, it was said to be made of linen in this one scrap of an old poem and a few other sources, but I highly doubt that because linen is hard to make"
>"so I made mine out of thick leather"

Start at 2:50
youtube.com/watch?v=8PuaUR3cFps

Meanwhile, there's this, which was accepted by the Archaeological Institute of America
youtube.com/watch?v=0ERSx1o8wwk

There are things he does have a good understanding of, but he has a very bad habit of over-stating or making exaggerated and unsupported claims that he treats as fact.

>dont care too much about deviation from fact
>he said, on the History board

Are there any really good philosophical channels or podcasts? The only thing that I can think of is the wisecrack series and even then that's just breaking a show/movie/game down and tying it in with a philosophical school of thought.

Any suggestions would be immensely appreciated.

What's your view on The Last Kingdom?

Only glaring issue I can recall was the MCs bitch of a childhood friend Brida fighting in the final battle and the front line. Bullshit since no Norse commander would risk their shield wall collapsing because of a woman in the front line.

Jabzy
I will continue to post this on ever Veeky Forums YouTube thread
Three minute history videos are god tier

>Vikings

yeah, it's a great show... if you're 12 years old

THE ABSOLUTE BEST HISTORY CHANNEL COMING THOUGH
youtube.com/channel/UCmmMFJIKfsSLNVxA55Kt42Q
LITERALLY THE MOST DETAILED HISTORY CHANNEL, FUCKING WATCH IF YOU WANNA LEARN ANYTHING

>Vikings
>Follows the possibly real Ragnar Lothbrok, Rollo, Aslaug, and Bjorn Ironside. Also deals with Charles and Odo in Francia, and Ecbert, Aella, Aethulwulf, and Alfred in England.

No it fucking doesn't.

this

youtube.com/watch?v=MpPNbI6GcxI

Watch this if for some reason you haven't yet.

FUCKING PAY ATTENTION PATRICIANS, THIS LITERALLY THE BEST FUCKING CHANNEL FOR HISTORY, I'M ONLY TRYING TO HELP, REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE youtube.com/channel/UCmmMFJIKfsSLNVxA55Kt42Q

If you wanna hear an unbiased and serious historian, I recommend John Green. A Crash Course History video is more insightful than a book of some so-called "historians".

Yeah I was wondering how long it would take for someone to make this bait post.

B A I T
A
I
T

he is just a fuccboi who likes dat bren

Neat. Shame he seems to have focused on Rome and Greece and not Mesopotamia and Egypt.

>>Bren v. 'Spandau' retardation
>Bren is better for X
>Spandau is better for Y
nothing retarded about that

I'd actually forgotten who John Green is since those threads stopped being spammed.

The Great War will have a fan meetup in Poland. I am considering going there.

If you're willing to look for it, there are youtube channels that uploaded the radio broadcasts from the 20s and 30s. Internetarchive has some as well. You can find all of Father Charles Coughlin's radio broadcasts that way, or most of them.

Ken Burns also did a documentary on Huey Long, if you're into those sorts of things.

Is there anyone who covers Mesopotamia pre-Rome or Iran (really any of its long history) well? I have come up empty looking for podcasts.

ancientworldpodcast at blog spot

His video about suits from around the same time was just stupid too.

He puts it on over his cardigan and then says it doesnt fit right and is hard to move in. Was that the point? Was he trying to be funny? Was he only pretending to be retarded?

No Great War channel?

Military History Visualized
youtube.com/channel/UCK09g6gYGMvU-0x1VCF1hgA

Very high level of germanic autism.
10/10.

I'm not American so maybe it doesn't affect me, they just seem like lower class Americans.

Besides, anyone with an avid interest in history cannot be true trash.

It's a rare treat when a YouTuber values being concise.

youtube.com/watch?v=ZC8JcWVRFp8&list=PL851F45079A91C3F2

It feels like I'm getting a student debt FOR FREE.

Same, I thought I'd check that guy out before I noticed the replies.

nope
more like history for lazy dummies

This

God bless whoever recommended him in the last thread like this. I've been binge watching his history vlogs when he went from Japan back to England.

youtube.com/watch?v=XmFBC0uuVf0

I wish I could do what he does

They're just rednecks. And SCA types, who really should be seen as a redneck subset.

Bumping for interest

Anyone with an avid interest in history is an aspie.

Twas probably myself user, been post it all year, glad to be of service.