The Inline 6 is the most versatile engine ever produced...

The Inline 6 is the most versatile engine ever produced. The fact that people buy shitboxes with lawn mower engines and push rod boat anchors blows my mind. Why haven't you made the switch to a real motor?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=3Y-Gdz6N-dU
youtube.com/watch?v=d01ew4I7Udg
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

inline 6 is an outdated piece of this like inline 8s

Found the guy with a civic

V6 is the superior engine.

The I6 design is outdated.

I like I6's

V8 > V6 > I4 > other shit

But I have made the switch.

>v6
Muh no torque

Only because it's more square instead of long and skinny so packaging is easier. Inline engines have the advantage of only needing one set of camshafts and being naturally balanced. Inline sixes specifically have the advantage of being made by BMW.

This guy gets it

>that pic
Triggered as hell
Do you still use low maintenance batteries?

>versatile

I don't think you know what that means.

Replaced it for an Optima Red top shortly after that photo was taken (and when that one failed to start the car about a month after that photo was taken).

>handle boost extremely well
>make as much torque as they do hp
>are put in rock crawlers and track cars yet still have the ability to get 30mpg
What were you saying again?

none of that is inline 6 inherent lol

Jeeps and M3. Get fucked

completely irrelevant to the discussion

none of that has anything to do with inline 6

What can rev higher, a V6 or i6? Same displacement, bore x stroke, ect

Theyre incredibly hard to package in most cars. The v6 or i4 are the versatility kings.

V6 has a lighter crankshaft so it has less rotational mass

not sure if it can rev more but it can rev faster

they're undeniably the BEST engines, and BEST configuration.

Packaging is the only reason they're not used today, and it sickens me.

What about the balance shaft on the V6?

what about it?

Its a large chuck of weight so wouldnt it even out the rotational mass

I6 is the pinnacle of engine balance

no

its still less mass than the inline 6

L28 baby

inline 6 is shit

flat 6 is objectively superior

It's okay to be wrong. And you are

You're right. Things are automatically better because they're new. Like how Justin Bieber is better than Bach. Oh and how The New Coke is better than that shitty Coke Classic.

Inline six engines have never had an upgrade to their design. None of them have fuel injection or electronic ignition. They still have pushrods and no VVT or even any positive crank case ventilation. Did Bach have autotuning or an 808? No he didn't, because he was a faggot.

Inline sixes also are "naturally balanced" but that's fucking dumb. Shit grandpa, it's the future! Why design something that's already balanced when we could have two or twenty balancer shafts to get rid of the vibration. That dildozer Bach didn't even have balancer shafts, how boring.

And man, I'm so glad I have so many cams on my V engine! I love cams so much, cams are the best. I'm so glad I have to pay for twice as many cams as an inline motor, and those only have 1 cam chain. Can you imagine? My Audi V8 has more chains than Mr T. Coke classic didn't have cam chains, maybe that's why Bill Cosby wouldn't rape it.

Anyways you're a collosal interstellar faggot. The inline or slant six has not been outmoded yet. "outdated" is used for shitty Harley V twins.

Flat 6 > V6 > inline 6

tbqh

Why did vw never solve the inline 8 crank whip problem and make a vr8 as long as an i5/i6? It would be neato IMO

B-but. 4chinz said different!

>most durable engine with an astonishingly long production run, highly sought after by people building jeeps

>consistently awarded engines, the S54 revving to 8100RPM stock and being so overbuilt that it can make daily driver 650hp from a supercharger on pump gas.

>nope, nothing to do with I6 engines

because the shitty W8 exists.

>pushrods are outdated maymay
>both ohc and ohv came out at roughly the same time

It's like you guys think it's sidevalve or IOE or something

Honest question.

Why is there so many bends? Isn't straighter better for air flow?

it doesnt

only a tard would think it does

then again you I6 fags are coming across as borderline retarded fanboys

It's about having them be equal length. Also it looks cool. There's extremely minimal flow loss.

that has nothing to do with the layout just who built it, you can slap a turbo/supercharger on a so called boat anchor v8 with a stock bottom end and a cam change and make 650hp all day

I wish we had these in the US.

Is there anything the average Veeky Forumstist won't argue over?

They are superior platforms for performance based mods. How are you this retarded to not understand this

theyre not

a V8 is better in pretty much every way

inline 6 fags are clinging to an outdated shit engine

Tell me why v8 is better than i6. And show your work

>being this ignorant to lsx blocks that can take 1500hp from boost from the factory

like i said, depends on who built the engine

And we will always go back to fuel economy. They are superior for a reason no matter how much you delude yourself

>I dont show any proof but you need to

the staple of the idiot fanboy

V8s in general are

easier packaged
higher displacement
easier to get more power
less complicated

not a single supercar uses an inline 6 theres a reason for that

the inline 6 was good back in 1940 when people were trying to figure out how to balance V8s

Yeah, that's why bmw still produces them. You might literally be retarded

I think you are tbqh

youre definitely not old enough to drive at the least

>no u
>ur probably young
Great argument. I've driven just about every engine you can imagine, and was able to settle on the opinion of what is the most versatile. I'm sorry about your blasted ass

Ok so WHY do you think that an I6 is the most superior engine?

Give me some facts. No memes or shitty comparitive examples. I'm talking theory here. Why is having 6 cylinders in line from one another better than any other arrangement for a given displacement and bore/stroke/rod?

>still hasnt done anything except insults and name calling

hows grade school treating you?

>still hasnt done anything
>has been asked to explain why a v8 is superior
>keeps going back to saying "hur dur yer yung"

I4 master-race

>arguing with devil quads

>this triggered over being called underage
>cant come up with an argument better than
>muh inline 6
>no facts
>gets presented facts
>ignores them and gets mad like a spoiled child

epic

>hurr durr guys this specific arrangement of cylinders is best all else a shit

>ignores bore and stroke ratio
>ignores rod and stroke ratio
>ignores head design
>ignores packaging and weights constraints

Why do you kids do this? Don't be impressionable retards because some faggot tells you a 2JZ is the gawd machine.

2jz is a god machine
fuck you

why inline 6?

cause sound

IDGAF about anything else, nothign sounds better than JZ and/or RB engines

As long the turns aren't too sharp and the pipes don't have waves in them from the bending process having equal length is better.

The design is fairly easy to balance and you don't have to deal with have 2 sets of things like cams.
The layout of inline engines allow tend to be better than Vs for making torque despite what American engineering tried to do with high torque V8s. That why most shipping trucks have inline 6s.
Inlines also have fairly continuous bottom ends so they tend to be strong and respond well to boost.
The real disadvantage is packaging so they *easily* fit into smaller cars.

Of course with enough engineering pretty much every engine layout can be good.

V6 blown the fuck out

I agree OP. Love the inline 6 in my 128i.

This. It's so smoothly

PERFECTLY

BALANCED

Beautiful S54.

Proud 5 year owner myself.

Lancia made perfectly balanced V6's way back when it made the first mass production v6 in the 1950's, so that should never be an argument.

muh balance is all inline6fags have to go on tho

>Inline 6
>more perfectly balanced than a V8

Depends on who builds it, that's for sure:

youtube.com/watch?v=3Y-Gdz6N-dU

>versatile - able to adapt or be adapted to many different functions or activities.
>I6 - only works well in longitudinal FR applications

>only works well in longitudinal FR applications

Which is the only correct configuration, everything else is a meme at this point.

rwd is the only meme

>Awful polar moment of inertia
>Poor space efficiency
>less weight over the rear wheels

No wonder a v6 was the last engine to win the F1 championship with an FR layout.

nerds

>less weight over the rear wheels
Pretty much all BMWs are 49.5 front and 50.5 back.

Well the LS is lighter than most, if not all I6 engines and makes more power stock, but im sure the I6 has its positives as well,, i do love them , prob one of my favorite layouts desu

Less weight over the rear wheels compared to a MR or an RR, which are both superior configurations.

>the first V6 was perfectly balanced
I don't think so Tim

Your wrong though. You can see one of these v6's running at the 1:50 mark

youtube.com/watch?v=d01ew4I7Udg

And as you can see and hear, it's perfectly balanced.

word. engines kicks ass in my Z4M.

S54 master race

lol no.

hahaha!
it's a Ford...

> make a much torque as they do hp

If this were true, which it isn't for all i6's, it would only mean they either can't rev past 5200rpm or their torque drops way off at that point

>V6 engine is perfectly balanced
>*with 11 balancer shafts

This entire thread is just bmw fanboys trying to justify their shitty planned obsolescence shitboxes

This entire thread is just ford fanboys trying to justify their ecoboost MPG boxes

11 balancer shafts? really?

I'm being sarcastic if you can't tell.

Ayy!

>having a shitbox so small it cant fit a I6 in it.
You sound european

top kek user str8 6 ford barra master race reporting in

Jap and old Murica I6s are better anyway

Jeep 4.0L I6 was a GOAT engine. Not shit for power on the highway, but goddamn those things felt like you could pull a cruise ship up a boat ramp at lower speeds.

Too bad the rest of the car would fall apart long before the engine.

Five years for me as well. It's a god damn beast.

>driving anything other than FR

lmao

BMWs come from Europe you stupid fuck

>The layout of inline engines allow tend to be better than Vs for making torque
Er, just because you say so, doesn't make it so.
>That why most shipping trucks have inline 6s.
No, it's just easier to balance such a large, long stroke rotating mass. Don't forget some of the Euros building V8s that are amongst the most powerful truck engines. Heck, It's kind of ironic one if the smoothest highway haulage power plant engines available today is Mercedes Benz's OM501 V6.
>Inlines also have fairly continuous bottom ends so they tend to be strong and respond well to boost.
What th fuck are you talking about?

Not all V6s have balance shafts.

The i6 is good
long hoods are good