I've always had this uncertainty of how to handle a low speed turn (like a normal 15 MPH right turn) in a stick...

I've always had this uncertainty of how to handle a low speed turn (like a normal 15 MPH right turn) in a stick, if you know you're gonna be going down a gear.
Do you just switch to neutral, coast, then switch to 2nd (or which ever gear) during/after the turn?
Or just ride the clutch, which makes me think of pic.
Also, haven't learned Heel-Toe yet.

Other urls found in this thread:

dailymotion.com/video/x2o54o2
twitter.com/AnonBabble

start in 1st
shift to 2nd mid turn
shift to 3rd when you straighten out and/or go fast enough for 3rd, or just stay in second.

Why ride the clutch instead of just putting it in the lowest gear and keeping it engaged? Normally 15meh should be fast enough that you can have 1at gear engaged without lugging

Really it depends on your gearing, the easiest way to do it is to coast into the turn, brake, turn, down shift/put in gear (probably 2nd) in the middle of the turn, and accelerate out.

Agreed if your just driving normally just do this. Heel toe is only useful on tracks or for "spirited" driving when you have to brake hard.

If you want added engine braking you can leave it in 3rd as you enter or shift into 2nd slightly before and ride 2nd through the turn as well.

My example

I'm driving down a road at 60mph, need to make a left turn ahead. I'll brake down to about 20mph before I turn, then shift to second as I am turning the wheel.

Honestly it's so automatic for me I'm questioning myself if that is what I do exactly.

No need for heel/toe unless you're in a high performance car and trying to make very quick progress. As for riding the clutch where I come from that will get you a fail on your driving test as you don't have full control over the car while you're coasting.

You're supposed to complete your shift just before the turning point and then accelerate out of the corner.

This is true, but if you're a burger just take your driving test in an automatic.

Technically the car has to be in gear at all times while on the road according to the DMV, whether or not that's practical or a good thing for your car is another matter.

Break or coast down whatever gear your in, push in clutch if you're going slow enough to sputter, shift to second and release clutch to accelerate.

Heel-Toe is a meme, no one here can actually do it.
There's also literally no need to ever do it, left foot braking is way easier and more efficient.

I do the exact same thing.
Whatever gear I'm in, I put it in nuetral, brake, and engage second while making the turn.

Shut the fuck up

That doesn't even make any sense.

Gr8 b8 m8

Unless you have three feet then left foot breaking and heel-toe don't achieve the same goal.

This pretty much, it's always second too

Interesting that when Jackie Stewart (some of you kids may have heard of him) was schooling James May on improving his lab times he had one rule: "Never apply the throttle in a turn unless you aren't going to take it off" It was a hard rule for May to learn, but it made sense.

Brake, coast while selecting the lower gear, then ease off the clutch / on power as I exit the turn. But ultimately it's about smoothness. Smooth is safe. It's not because I'm taking turns at 9/10, but that there might be spilled diesel or a pothole that could upset traction.

See @ 3:20.

dailymotion.com/video/x2o54o2

My friend also gave me the same advice when I first bought my manual car. Do not lift off the gas during a turn. It's now something I am self aware of every time I turn.

I usually judge how much to slow down before approaching a turn then downshift accordingly, then I follow it with increased acceleration through the turn and when I straighten out.

I heel and toe to second or third but honestly just because it's fun.

If you're not racing....

Brake down to where high revs in second are, blip throttle release clutch, ideally matching pretty close.

Do a little tap of the brake with your left foot right when its gonna catch, or just gently hold pressure to aid rotation.

Either way can be fun. Then climb out ta there running through the gears like a mofo

Come back when you know what "riding the clutch" means, you dumb fuck.

>brake before the turn
>down shift to appropriate gear
>maintain slight acceleration through turn
this is day 1 stuff, why are you overthinking it

this is day 1 stuff

15mph is 2nd gear. You can go all the way down to idle in 2nd gear and be ok as long as there's no resistance like braking or an incline.

Granny shiftin' not double clutchin' like you should