The rotary is the most versatile engine ever produced...

The rotary is the most versatile engine ever produced. The fact that people buy shitboxes with lawn mower engines and push rod boat anchors blows my mind. Why haven't you made the switch to a real motor?

Other urls found in this thread:

jacksonville.craigslist.org/cto/5555838702.html
popularmechanics.com/military/research/a15233/liquidpiston-darpa-contract/
austroengine.at/en/about-us/company
twitter.com/AnonBabble

> his car has less than four rotors

APEX SEALS
P
E
X

S
E
A
L
S

>current number of wankels in production = 0
whew nice memes

>haters trying to get between a man and his true love

>Rx8 was a marketing failure
>Nobody wants one because of potentially expensive repairs

I don't know. Would be better if manufactures didn't have to lean towards our unrealistic environmental standards. Problem with the RX8 is that a lot of backpressure from the fucking egr system and chocked exhaust caused early seal failure if the vehicle wasn't religiously maintained.

>unrealistic environmental standards
funny that only mazda and VAG have such difficulties?

Mitsubishi too

RX8 was a failure because it was fucking hideous.

= 1
RX Vision you cuck

Gasoline rotaries were a mistake.
LPG rotary is our last hope

Cool where can I buy one?

>6 cylinders
jacksonville.craigslist.org/cto/5555838702.html

>talking shit about the glorious LS series

How can I make a 2004 RX-8 more reliable? If I change the plugs and coils will it fix the majority of the engine failure problems?
I know that I need to redline it often and everything. Is there anything else I need to know?
I'm looking at buying one from a friend.

popularmechanics.com/military/research/a15233/liquidpiston-darpa-contract/

>in production
dumb fuck

Not in production fucktard

Is that an American Company developing this? is Mazda going to have to contract/licence this to use in their sports-cars? (assuming they liked what they are seeing and wanted to use it) If not Mazda could GM/Ford/Chysler make a rotary sports car with this?

We could potentially see the return of the Aerovette or something else like it.

BACK ON THE ROCKS
BACK ON THE ROCKS

Rotary is only good for performance vehicles, for dd it sucks butts

Won't ever be produced.

=0
=0

Can I buy it in a car?

Because in all practicality it's really just a massive inefficient pile of shit?

Yeah, I'll go with that.

I wouldn't be surprised if everyone was fudging them somehow.

They still make them for planes.
austroengine.at/en/about-us/company

>moving the goalpost the post

It is very versatile due to its small size and high specific output, yes. However, they are maintenance-intensive, the opposite of what you want in workhorse engines for appliances.

rotaries are dope, but the fact that I have to do a complete fucking rebuild at around 80 thousand miles is bullshit.

The liquid piston prototypes in development are for UAV and armed personnel robotic enhancement use. From what I can tell they also have a long way to go from us actually seeing them work.

It's also fitting to note that military engines are designed to have maintenance. Generally they build engines with high wear sacrificial pieces that get replaced often. Because they design it to put most of the wear on that single easy to access part, the rest of the components don't need to be replaced as often. An example of this would be Apex Seals. They aren't that hard to replace but you have to do it more often.

wouldnt even care if it wasnt for the fact that a new dorito costs about a thousand dollars when a piston, connecting rod and pins can be had for less than 100$.

not only does it require heavy maintenance, that maintenance is extremely expensive.

also I am considering a donor engine for a tadpole trike build. any small powerful engines that can compete with a 13b?

they do.
they all do. base fuel maps are programmed to run lean at mid range revs and breathe its own farts to fool emissions. at peak power all that emissions stuff is turned off.

PREMIX
R
E
M
I
X

If your dorito lasts less than 120K then you're absolute shit at driving

To rebuild a piston engine correctly it costs at LEAST $1200 if done properly. That's assuming all you do is replace bearings, rings, valve stem seals, and machine the bores and head. We're not replacing any major components.

Rotaries on the other hand are about $600 for a rebuild kit. That includes apex seals, oil control seals, and all gaskets and seals. There is no machining to do. You simply fit new apex seals and oil seals in and file them to spec. Because the rotor and housing never meet, they rarely distort and get out of spec. If that happens there is no correction and you just get a new engine. You can literally rebuild a rotor in your living room in a couple nights.

Also I meant to say that the $600 rebuild figure was for a 13B. They are by far the cheapest, followed closely by the RX8 motor, but it is still has alot of development to go in the aftermarket.

>2016
>claiming rotaries are the most versatile
>pointing out the fact that piston engines are used for lawn mowers
>not even seeing the irony in this
>2016+2016-2016

>$CURRENT_YEAR
>doesn't realize this is a shitpost thread based on the I6 thread from yesterday
>doesn't religiously browse Veeky Forums 24/7
>doesn't realize electric motors are better for lawn mowers

please don't ask Veeky Forums
premix is good yes, but check rx-8 forums.

that only applies to certain models, when they're not maintained properly.

FBs and FCs, especially n/a models, can last well beyond 100k miles without any issues.

if you blow your apex seals and they fuck up your housing it's a good bit more expensive. doesn't happen too often unless you're an idiot though.

Apex seals, oil usage, shit tier efficiency, unreliable, no torque, requires extensive regular maintenance, emissions regulations, etc etc

>rebuild when you buy it
>probably won't have to do it again for over 5 years

n/a rotaries like the 12A or 13B can easily hit 200k with good maintenance alone.

Shit, are there any more of these?

Please respond.

This^^

Bump

>goalposts
were on Veeky Forums what the fuck do u think i meant? lawnmowers?

>no longer in production
>still in production
NUH FER KARZZ REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

>located in Wiener

how about them apex seals

as an owner of a 1984 rx7... yeah.... rotamemes... are based entirely on fact. awesome engine, but I fucked those apex seals. Still gonna love it

Underrated Dubbz

How about dat 2 stroke like engine treatment and sucky oil reg pump

they changed the oiling system apex seal shape

>no torque
>unreliable
>stupidly low fuel economy for performance
>oil consumption

Nope.