Shitbox General: MPG edition!

Shitbox General: MPG edition!

Best mpg I've ever gotten was 58 on a long road trip, average city mpg delivering pizzas is around 35.

Other urls found in this thread:

lexington.craigslist.org/cto/5543509333.html
ebay.com/itm/Suzuki-Swift-GTi-G13B-exhaust-manifold-with-bolt-on-turbo-turbocharger-gaskets-/121134848017
youtube.com/watch?v=8xoUPXVAm9M
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

get about 20-25 mpg in the '96 4 cylinder accord

Got about 25-30 mpg in the 1JZ VVTI supra

Best my metro does on highway is 32. But the trade off is I get a whole 79 horse power.

Someone who lives near me just bought an all black i8, looks so fucking sick every time I see it.

Absolutely STUNNING.

You got the auto, too? The auto trans only has a top 1:1 gear, the manual gets an overdrive. That definitely impacts highway efficiency.

Recently some gorilla broke my door latch (by locking it) and so I had to tear apart the inner door panel to replace the door latch with a junkyard one. Junkyard one works great, but I'm a bit annoyed that the first casualty to my interior isn't my fault. I'd be fine if I was the one to cause the problem, but some fucking stoner i know from high school gets into my car and fucking gorilla hands the door? fuck me.

40+ out of this thing...

I regularly get 33 mpg in my '05 Sunfire. 5th gear overdrive and most of my driving is on the freeway. Feels good to only spend like $20-$30 a week on gas in commiefornia. Not bad for 500 miles a week.

I pay about $20 every 4 days, but I drive a shit ton of miles delivering pizzas.

I found this on craigslist for $1600, and I want to get it so badly. I badly need this vehicle in my life, but I don't have the cash.

Yes, its the automatic. Sometimes I wish I would have got the manual, but I'm happy with what I've got.

>pizza job
I'm so sorry.

Paint your existing vehicle acid trip camo too?

I make good money delivering pizzas, and I've thrown enough money into the car to make it reliable. At this point, the biggest problem is that it shakes above 60, which I think has to do with the wheels. I want to get that fixed, it's pretty uncomfortable.

Also, the driver's seatbelt is cosmetic, and the driver's seat is fucked.

Yeah, painting the metro Clown puke Camo would be another option. Just do a shit ton of vinyl wrap layers after stripping down the paint.

there's a metro for sale in my area,
lexington.craigslist.org/cto/5543509333.html

thinking of buying it as a DD, how will it do with interstate? Accelerating doesn't matter to me as much, but is it capable of holding 85 mph~ without blowing off the road or falling apart?

Yeah, the Geo Metro was pretty efficient. That's why Elio uses an engine derived from the Geo Metro's 3-banger.

Fair enough. Used to be kitchen master wage slave at a pizza place. Never again.

Fix your alignment/axles brah.

That's a second gen metro, with the 3 cylinder, and 5 speed manual, it should do good on the highway. I think the second gen was slightly heavier, but mine, the first get, can hold 80 pretty easily on flat ground. ~65 on a gentle slope is pretty easy. If your commute has lots of hills, you're going to be going up and down the gears a lot, but it shouldn't have any problem holding 70+ through an entire commute.

That 3-banger is very reliable. As with any car buy, take it to a mechanic first, have them look at it, but it looks like this guy has already done a lot of the relevant work. The wheel bearings, timing belt, brakes, rotors, and water pump were all things that needed done on my own car. I've had my car for a year, and put around 20k miles on it, and it's going strong (with $2000 of work including the mentioned work)

A few of the biggest/most expensive repairs were the wheel bearings (labor is a bitch), the distributor, and the windshield (if it hasn't had the windshield replaced since it was new, it's going to be pitted, and hard to see through)

I recommend picking it up if you can get a better price. That price is a bit high for a metro unless it's in fantastic condition. The interior looks pretty good, but there's only one photo.

When you test drive it, make sure to take it onto the freeway to see how it handles speed. Also, to check that the suspension is in order. The struts went out in my car, and it bounced terribly until they were replaced.

One gets 20 mpg the other gets 40. I'm certain that I'd rather get 5mpg than drive a metro either way

really the only thing holding me back from jumping on it is...

Highest was 37.4. Average 34.

Still hovering around 30 city delivering pizza with lots of WOT driving.

Tips were shit tonight and last night though.

>you will never own a square shitbox 3door to bang up and race around in the dead of night with friends and risk nearly nothing
>you got a miata because o said so if you're into cars

Yeah. In 88/89 chevy sold a car based on the metro platform with the 3 cylinder engine with a turbocharger. It made ~74 hp. Stock, the 3 clinder makes around 45 (allegedly) and the 4 cylinder (BIG BLOCK) on later models made ~74 hp, same as the turbo version.

You're going to have a bad time trying to get a ~45 hp engine to 100 hp. If you want to make power in the metro form factor, without doing a complete rework of the drivetrain, what I'd do is take the 4 cylinder engine from the later models, and turbo it. You'd probably be able to get around 80-90, hp with that setup, and honestly unless you're hauling stuff or people frequently, the ~74 hp of the 4 cyl engine should be more than enough.

What I'd do, find a good condition 4 cylinder, see if that gives you enough power. If you still want more, then work on that engine, but I wouldn't recommend trying to squeeze out the 3 cylinder. That's not what it's for. The 3 cylinder is for efficiency, and it's damn good at it. The 4 cylinder is slightly less efficient, but you'd see better returns in modifying it.

Man, this last week was super weird. Usually sundays are good for tips, but last sunday was slow and had shit for tips, but monday was absurdly busy, and I drove home with a nice fat $123 in my pocket.

a bit of quick internet searching puts a turbo kit at $450~
ebay.com/itm/Suzuki-Swift-GTi-G13B-exhaust-manifold-with-bolt-on-turbo-turbocharger-gaskets-/121134848017

But what you're saying is that the car is so light that 75~ hp will be enough to do 0-50 in city and hold 85 on the interstate?

Yeah looks like a lot of work for not enough power. That's why I like my car. It has the perfect balance of fun, power(125ish HP guessing), and efficiency.

Yeah it's hard to predict the busy days. I come in waiting for surprises.

Pic related

Forgot to mention, if you're going to try and get more power out of the car, about 80, then you're going to run into big problems with torque steer. That was the biggest problem Car and Driver (or whatever review show? idk) had with the turbo 3 cylinder Swift, is that it would torque steer under power. I think that the metro is perfectl capable of handling that kind of power, just that the 3 cylinder isn't. I recommend the 4 cylinder because it would be the absolute easiest swap, I believe since it should mate right up to the stock everything else.

10 km per liter on average

Oh, yeah, man. I can keep up with traffic easy in the city, with just my 3 cylinder and no cargo, and my car could probably hold 85 just fine if there wasn't something fucky with the wheels.

If you don't like it with the 3 cylinder, too weak, swap in a 4 cylinder, shouldn't be too hard. If, after that, you still think it needs more power, go for the turbo. Getting up to highway speed is no problem as long as there's an adequate ramp, and holding 80+ is no problem either, as long as everything is balanced properly.

If you plan on carrying around people, it will quickly become noticeable slower, and brake noticeably slower. The car is ~1700 lb, and when you consider average weight of around 175 (murrika) that's another 700 lb, 41% of the weight of the car. If you want the car to have pep even when you're carrying a couple passengers, you'll probably want a beefier engine.

I don't speak these numbers.

most I'd carry at a time is 3 people, would sit around 500 pounds for all 3. Dont think it will be necessary then.

Gonna go chekk it out tomorrow then, thanks m80

Still noticeably slower with any more than 1 passenger, but I'll say they're fantastic cars, and if you treat them right, they'll take you across the country. I've made several regular road trips to LA from Vegas, and one road trip that was around 2600 miles total, all the way up to washington and back. You keep it together, this car will take you places. Just not very fast, especially up hills with a grade greater than about 3%.

28.24809363 mpg

ahh, I do a decent amount of mountain driving, and that might be a buzzkill with the lack of power.

Are those british gallons or american gallons?

42mpg in town with the tarbo

56 was best I've gotten on highway.

Turbo improved my empeegees, especially on the highway. Don't have to downshift any more to pass people. around 2700rpm in fifth gear on the highway, plus instant boost. Makes 10psi of boost pretty much instantly on the highway.

So much fun. turbo shitboxes are great.

I'd trade a mistake for a corolla FX any day
>miata autocorrects to mistake

your mom gallons

If you do mountain driving, you might not want this car. I've driven Baker grade regularly in the metro. Baker grade is the i-15 between Primm and Baker; southbound it's a ~7 mile stretch of 7% grade, followed be a few ~3 mile stretches of around 3-5% grade. Northbound it's a ~13 mile stretch of 6% grade. If it's a cool night outside, I can take the steep parts going around 60. I don't think that mountains would be as much of a problem for you, because the problems that the metro has with hills, have to do with the engine getting hot when you're pushing it for a long stretch. It can handle the hills, but you'll want to watch the temp gauge, if you're on a steep part for more than a couple minutes.

You, ah, stuffed up the reply a bit there friendo.

I have family in the appalachians, so quite a bit of mountain driving is non-negotiable.
Sadly then, I think I may have to pass on this one...
The search for the ultimate unkillable shitbox continues.

damn gallons on my dick

Well, that's the east coast. You should be fine, there. I forgot to mention that Baker Grade isn't hard because it's long and steep. It's hard because it's long, steep, and if you drive it during the day in summer, it's 110 outside.

I don't think that the metro would have any problem getting up hills outside the desert. I'd suggest trying it out. If cooling is a problem, improve it. You're going to be modifying it anyway, so why not?

Although $1500 is a bit high for a metro. KBB says that around $1300 is fair market value for that car, I'd try and talk them down to ~$1250

The metro is reliable, the engine is bulletproof, and after looking it up, I found that the 3 cylinder has a whopping FIFTY FIVE horsepower! You could probably get that up to 80 with a turbocharger.

I'd advise going to look at it, taking it for a test drive, see how you like it. It might be worth getting, and since you don't live in the desert like me, I don't think you'll have a problem with it getting up hills. It's just it won't be very efficient when it does it, because you'll have to shift down to third.

Most people install a fan to turn on when the car gets too hot, I think my import came with one standard.

Hmmm

>10l/100km

On a city car? Jesus fuck

The faded clearcoat on your car looks kinda artsy.

I used to get that with my old GS Barina, 4 cyl. Actually I usually got 11L/100km. It had a freshly rebuilt engine done professionally too.

It was my first car though and the drove the thing absolutely flat out everywhere

anyone tried to put a busa engine in one?

The 1.3? That's a bit odd, I daily a 1.4 Corsa B doing mid 8's at city driving.

If you wanna go fast, you're gonna use fuel.

It's pointless getting such a small engine if you're going to thrash it everywhere like I was. Well, not pointless for having fun.

Oh I see, I do know those engines when pushed burn gas like a fat kid in a cookie store. Still a bit high though, my regular driving is somewhat spirited through b roads, and I can stay in the 7's range.

My 1997 Clio gets 47MPG (US) on highway and 33 around town. According to the manual it should get 59 on constant 90km/h.

Wow, I work at Domino's on a college campus and on my busiest days I make like 70 bucks. It's fucking silly. Get me a job w/u shingo

Do you have to have insurance to deliver pizza?

[Heavy breathing]

Average is 30-35 around town, peaked at 45 on a 200 mile journey. That's UK MPG though, so it's a little less in American gallons. About 29 and 37 respectively.

2004 MG ZS

How are dodge colts? Friend is trying to sell Me one

You're supposed to have commercial insurance, but if you just tell your insurance company you work in customer service, they shouldn't really inquire further. Commercial insurance is expensive as fuck, and my store doesn't care as long as the car you're using has insurance on it, and your name is on that insurance.

Isnt that cooler a bit overkill?

Lol I'd hook you up. Our turnover is high as fuck because they keep hiring retards.

I get like 39 out of it, mixed town/highway driving. Only highway maybe over 40.

Where is this?

Northshore of Lake Pontchartrain in Louisiana.

My store serves an area in Las Vegas. Not the greatest delivery area, I'd say 1/2 ghetto, 1/2 lower middle or middle clas.

My average tip income is usually right on $10/hr (not including hourly) so that's not too bad.

Yeah mine's about the same I think. I just know I cover my bills no problem and can still buy car parts and video games. I even lend people money. Lol

Moved to a new place with a smoother commute, 05 xterra getting 21 mpg.

I haven't had much of a problem with the ~$2000 in car repairs that have popped up over the past year, but I haven't been so great at saving. Been working on that lately.

Going to be heading off to work in a couple hours, was going to be coming in at 2, but my manager is shit with schedules, they overscheduled people for the morning, so they're having me come later, at 5 instead.

All I really needed was a transmission but I put a lot more than that into it because I'm having fun with it.

I do have to start paying of a credit card though. Used about 2/3 of it.

I gotta head out for my shift in around thirty minutes.

All the work I've put into my metro was basically just to keep it going. I've got a credit card that I used about 3/4 of, that i've been steadily paying off. I want to get this beautiful thing, but I need to get together the money for it.

Or paint my own car clown puke camo.

my eg with no mods would smoke that thing
>in fuel efficiency too

Around 27-29 mpg if driven like a granny

I had over a thousand for a little bit but that wasn't for long. I keep wanting to improve my car. No need for any more cars though. I want to save up for paint and body work. Maybe do that for tax time next year.

That's a badass paint job though.

I want another car because the metro is just absolutely terrible for road trips, and I like to go on road trips semi-frequently. Another option is dyna-mat-ing the metro, and fixing whatever is causing it to vibrate above 60.

EURO bros, please help.

I will have to opt for another "first car" (cheap - can't have nice things) in a year at most. My available choices are:
> Fiat Punto 1, 3dr, 350Kkms, 1.1/1.2 LPG converted ages ago
> Fiat Panda 1 (the cardboard one), 3dr, 120Kkms, 1.1 AT
> Fiat Seicento, 3dr, 120Kkms, 0.9
> Opel Astra 1, 5dr, 1.4
all as bare as possible except for the AT in Panda.
As a car for a long period, what would be your choice?

Ooh yeah I've been wanting to install cruise control in mine. It gets loud as fuck on the interstate too.

What are the YEARS, lad?!

Turboing a G13ba is crazy, if you wanted to make decent power in this car, swap in a g13b, 1300cc DOHC engine from the swift gti, they make around 100hp. My GTI with a stock g13b, close ratio box and 4.4 final drive is quick. Comparable to a EF SI civic, but with worse handling.

Really though, it's a fucking geo metro, don't put any money near it. As long as it has a manual box and less than 3 people in it she'll go fine.

>averaged 34.5mpg for 2015 over 61 fill ups and 23,304 miles
>all time best of 39.4mpg
>car is only rated for 24/35/28

Fuelly?

I mentioned generation as I don't know the exact years. They COULD be: '97 Punto, '93 Panda, '02 Seicento, '97 Astra. Owners care a lot about them, btw.

They've got a really short wheelbase so will always be a bit stuttery on rougher ground, however my gti is a pretty dope roadtrip car, even though it's geared too low.

Check the motor mounts. Visually inspect them for cracks or damaged rubber. Try lightly accelerating in gear with a foot on the brake and have someone watch to see if the engine moves (not standing in front of the car), do this in reverse too.

Try jacking up the car, put on axle stands, grip the wheels at 6 and 12, and try to shake them. If they have play in them, probably worn tie rods or control arms. It could just need a wheel alignment. Ask the shop to check if any suspension parts are worn. Could be cvs.

35-50 MPG or 5-7L/100km, depending on whether Eurobeat was playing or not

It's not the motor mounts. It has to do with the suspension or wheels. The outer tie rods and the steering rack have already been replaced. I had the shop align my wheels, but because one of the wheels is a different size (WHY THE FUCKING FUCK?) they couldn't get it perfect. Current plan is to get a set of 4 new tires (needs new tires anyway) slap them on the wheels, and take the car back to the shop to get the tires balanced and the wheels realigned.

why do i feel that poland is the midwest of europe

Why do you indeed?

>one of the wheels is a different size
lol, maybe start there

it reminds me of the midwest. non-luxurious, down to earth people, "normal" vehicles, smaller communities but also big cities, potatoes, cold in the winter warm in the summer, and of course lots and lots of alcohol

When I replace the tires, I'm going to do them all. Start fresh. It's going to be a bit of a hefty $200, but should be worth it.

good luck. It's slightly disturbing one wheel is different, that implies someone crashed bad enough to total a wheel which probably fucked some other shit up too.

a local track have those cars for rent and they also have ghetto 24lemons except that the safety rules are a lot more affordable and you only do 100 laps(NA 4cyl and 6cyl only).
youtube.com/watch?v=8xoUPXVAm9M

No, I didn't mean the wheels were different sizes, but one of the tires is a different size.

3 of the tires are 155/r12, and the fourth one is 165/70r12

Yes.

>12

Holy shit I thought they would be 13 at least.

tey are all not top choices for not breaking, but the punto is the worst one for sure

standard metro tire is 12. I got my tires off of a ford festiva (still 12) (thx mrcummypaws) and the alus are pretty good, but I need to replace all the tires.

get the astra

Oh, you were talking about the US of A. I thought you were saying that Poland is midwest Europe tier, meaning shitskins, terrorist attacks and leftist politics. Which is why I was wondering.
Most of what you said is true but add self-hating.

Love the woman at the end "What the fuck did you do?"

OK. Thanks, guys.

Pic related

I once found a car in a junkyard with the entire front end smashed in, and "Stanceworks" on the windshield. Truly the most stanced car. When the goal is to make the vehicle less usable, what's less usable than that?