/agdg/ - Amateur Game Dev General

AESTHETIC Edition.

>Current Game Jam (Space)
itch.io/jam/agdg-space-jam

>Next Demo Day (X)
itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-10

Helpful Links: tools.aggydaggy.com/# (Still in beta)
New Threads: Archive: boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/agdg/
SoundCloud: soundcloud.com/groups/agdg-audiofriends

>Chats
discord.gg/chquY2e
steamcommunity.com/groups/vgamedevcrew
webchat.freenode.net/?channels=vidyadev

>Previous Demo Days
pastebin.com/X6fLvtzA

>Previous Jams
pastebin.com/hVhvNWLw

>Engines
GameMaker: yoyogames.com/gamemaker
Godot: godotengine.org/
Haxe: haxeflixel.com/
LÖVE: love2d.org/
UE4: unrealengine.com/what-is-unreal-engine-4
Unity: unity3d.com/

>Models/art/textures/sprites
opengameart.org/
blender-models.com/
mayang.com/textures/

>Free audio
machinimasound.com/
freesound.org/browse/
incompetech.com/music/
freemusicarchive.org/

Other urls found in this thread:

cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/121566911837241344/206532795743469578/kyoto_home.png
youtube.com/watch?v=LrtCAEBu1-w
clyp.it/nprlquth
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

hi

First for NO ANIME ALLOWED

I want a gf

hi

What would you suggest in place of that GPU? The only items I've bought for it so far are the Case and Motherboard.

>pedophile thread
Hmm, I wonder who's behind this...

oh ffs he's back again

ty for the advice
how does it look now?
I got a little carried away with the outfits

Report and ignore

One day you will wake up and realise you wasted your life.

>already bought the motherboard
well go for it then
I haven't been paying attention to the GPU market but the 750 ti is old by now and should not be that pricy, meaning better things should be available

>/agdg/'s definitive guide to animating your walk cycle

Hmm, maybe I'll present the list on /g/ or such and ask how to optimise what's there. Thank's for the help.

>tfw deving all day and need to take a brake but scared to do so because you might forget what you were doing when you come back

>*DDR soundtrack intensifies*

write down everything on paper then you'll never get lost.

>tfw no qt animator+artist gf to complement my experience in physics and programming and pair up with in a 2-person indie dev team

One of these days, if I just keep deving, keep working.

One of these days it'll happen.

save up 200 bucks and buy yourself something with an i5 and at least a GTX 960

Thanks for using my picture op.
t.Cryanon

I commented the code but still, I'm scared

I really wanted to use the panties on head pic, but didn't want the thread to get deleted.

where2find this picture w/o agdg logo

No one cares what you feel, NoDev.

put a sticky note on your desktop at least. it is good practice to keep track of what you've completed and what you still need to implement on a checklist. plus its a massive ego boost when you see all the checked off tasks even if they were small.

correction: don't tell me where to find it. i know where to find it: on the internet.

rather, please just post the original image.

thank you.

>love2d and haxe are engines
Nice meme

cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/121566911837241344/206532795743469578/kyoto_home.png

Don't talk to me or my game ever again

arigatou senpai

Speaking of aesthetic, what ever happened to Slipstream dev? His game was going so well, got kickstarted, and then he disappeared.

That was just Tim Schaeffer in disguise, pulling another of his famous ruses.

I guess the same thing that happens to every successful dev.

>youtube.com/watch?v=LrtCAEBu1-w

from 4 days ago:
>As you probably noticed, I haven't been able to keep a lot of contact with our backers. I'm having serious problems with my internet connection at home. I spent a lot of time trying to get it fixed, but it didn't really work out. That was the reason for the significant delay in progress, and the lack of news about it. I'm really sorry for that, but I assure you development is still going on the game will be released as promised.

He hasn't had stable enough internet to post.

Toyed with it a bit more and made a webm.

Thinking of making other characters transparent during attacks other than just during blocks too.

Although I probably should've colored the placeholder sprite before the test

A lot better senpai

>trying to make the text bob up and down
>after a while of fucking things up, finally get it
>but it slowly makes the text go down
I'm slowly giving up.

Oh shit, you're back! I'm glad to see this is still being worked on, I like the look of it a lot. Keep up the good work

Good tip

letter y = initial y + sin(time) * distance
where distance is how far you want it to go up and down

you have one "acceleration" variable that switches from -1 to 1 at a regular interval. You have one "velocity" variable that changes by acceleration every frame. You have a position that changes by the velocity every frame.

i got bored and made a song

clyp.it/nprlquth

sorry about the artifacts that are mostly in the beginning. exported at a relatively low bitrate because it was gonna be compressed online anyway

>revevant
oops. this is why i don't make my own pics. eh whatever.

don't you usually stick to the /v/ threads?

it looks great, but I still think you're copying paper mario a bit too blatantly - there's a lot of room to introduce your own style (a bit like you did with the vine action selector thing)

like, you copied the blue A button prompt when that doesn't even make sense on any non-nintendo controller (or even less on a keyboard)

This is how you end up with text jittering around or sliding in one direction.

This is the answer.

were you the guy making a paper mario clone with actual pm sprites a few weeks ago?
Not that I'm complaining if you are, it's a neat gameplay style that isn't used enough

nah it's a different guy. the other dev uses pixel art. and i think their game is not insect-themed.

Anyone thought of a game concept featuring Roman Empire that hasn't been done to death?

>eh whatever

Is this the sort of attitude we can expect from you as a dev? Shameful. You can do better than that, user.

And just as I post this, I realize what I was doing wrong. The only problem is that it looks like shit.

Fuck.

That's kind of what I'm doing. It's not really working, and the amount of times it's gone to shit is annoying.

I'll try this out, thanks.

i-it's a spelling mistake in a reaction image, user. i'll try harder next time senpai

i'm a musician not a writer ;_;

How can you get your idea for your game?
Everytime I think of something interesting, next 10 minutes I find it stupid. Then if somes hold long enough, I see similar games to it on the net while finding samples to detail the mechanics.

Send help, this loop is suffering. ;_;

I'm loading a large mesh through a script in Unity
Any way I can reduce the frame drop created the moment it appears?

the answer is to not be ashamed that your game is similar to another. if your idea that you like ends up being like another game, study it, learn from, and ultimately improve from it.

completely original ideas are rare and hard to come up with these days.

Precook it in segments?
Otherwise, not really.

Does anyone here drink alcoholic beverages while devving? Does it improve or hinder devving?

I agree with the other user, a lot of stuff looks too much like PM

nevermind, deleted it. mixed it with shit headphones and have way too much bass from overcompensating. will probably post again tomorrow after sleep and re-mixing if anyone cares which you probably don't. i wouldn't. goodnight /agdg/

Does anyone else, after a long day's work, go to bed cuddling with a blanket and/or pillow and pretend it's a girl that whispers motivation and praise in your ear before you eventually drift into sleep?

Progress:

2nd pass on the avatars for representing health/damage

-Changed hairstyles a bit
-Backgrounds are now different colors to make it easier to notice when the player isn't paying attention to the artistic details.

No, I just cry myself to sleep.

No I go to sleep imagining I'm in a fetishy assimilation fantasy.

Anyone had any experiences with publishers, good or bad? Looks like I'm going to have to start an LLC if I want to get published
:\

This

>dumb twitter accounts with 100k followers following you
Do they use bots to randomly follow people? It's the same kind that unfollow after 3 days regardless if you follow back or not.

Healthy is blurry. I get blood on my glasses when I'm injured. Somehow despite that, the crying face is the worst of the three.

i just go to bed wishing to not wake up

And it works, thanks user.

>game dev
>sleeping
You're not working hard enough.

>Looks like I'm going to have to start an LLC if I want to get published
You'll need one for Steam, but you don't need to get an actual publisher. They'll take a large cut of your profit, on top of Steam or other store's 30% cut, and then taxes.

If you do a good job of marketing yourself you'll never need a publisher.

Whatever you do, stay the hell away from Black Shell Media, they're nothing more than a scam.

This. Me too user.

You have been memed.

Ryse, but better

why would that cause frame drop?

2nd is still not different enough from third, although the colour on the outline helps

Striving for originality will fucking burn you out.
You are in competition with 5,000+ generations of Homo Sapiens each one more numerous than the other, roughly 100,000,000,000 souls and still most of the shit they've came up with were re-iterations of tales they've heard before.
Technological and societal progress helped to expand the creative horizons considerably, but post-industrial world has billions of people alive at any given moment.

Just don't fucking sweat it, do your research and if you go further than shallow shit like changing names and locations/time periods, you will be fine.

I was under the impression that most publishers only deal with LLCs, and at the very least it would signify that we're serious and not a bunch of screw-arounds. I know the money's bad, I wouldn't be doing this if I was trying to get rich, I just need enough money to eat until the game gets done.

You are bad at game design

Kill your darlings, iterate fast and often

LLCs take no time to setup online dude, you need one not to look serious but to cover your ass in case someone sues you, hence the 'limited liability' part.

All you need to get a publisher is something interesting enough.

wow that's odd. Somehow the png import blurred it.

I'm using gimp 2.9.3 so odd issues can happen. Worth it for the new features though.

I feel like that advice isn't crazy applicable? Sounds more like they can't stick to an idea.

If you can't find a cool idea, stick to a concept for some other idea. Maybe choose a project that will help you learn a certain skill, or one you have people to work on with, or something you think will do good at making money. Kind of shallow, but you need a way to stick to something more than you need to be the "idea guy".

How would you go to calculate or save the maximum score you can achieve in a level to calculate the player's rank in S, A, B etc.?
Some levels have multiple paths with different set of points and you can only take one of them. In my current concept I'm counting them myself and hardcoding them into the code.

Do you mean game where you play as a single roman infantryman?
Ryse had pretty graphics, stylish armors (historical accuracy be damned, I loved them) but that'a where the good points end.

>Made With Unity splashscreen
Is there any way to drop/replace this without sheckles?

Depends on scoring mechanics, but for branching you can implement a basic graph search (BFS, DFS)

I made the mistake of mentioning doing a FPS project and got a bunch of people offering me "ideas". Turns out most people can't think past gimmicks that would be horribly unbalanced or annoying in practice.

Here's a shitty mortar loading animation for a background NPC.

>Is there any way to drop/replace this without sheckles?
Do you want to get sued?

think there's a novel series which is like, pokemon. but in ancient rome. and the pokemon are all huge and badass.

So that's how it is? That's scary. I would have still credited it.

I like how it fires while his hands are over it and then he covers his ears afterwards.

PEDERASTY SIMULATOR 2016

>Is there any way to drop/replace this without sheckles?
Pay up goy, that's what you get for being adamant about using that shitty engine.

Not legally.

Which means no. You really shouldn't be pirating when getting into dev. It may not seem like a bad idea when you are starting but it is something that can seriously bite you later if you become even slightly successful.

>like, pokemon. but in ancient rome. and the pokemon are all huge and badass.
Well... that actually sounds pretty fucking intriguing

Is it japernician?

>mfw i stretched my boy today

Yup, that one

I'd love a Ryse style game where you play as Temujin (Genghis Khan) and form the Mongol Empire. Like a mix between Ryse and the Total War series. Or that, but with the Roman Empire.

Nah, that's another dev. Thanks though.

Thanks for the feedback. I agree that right now since we're trying to get the engine in place everything is pretty much PM.

It's also kind of hard to blur that line where you want it to be like PM because it's a spiritual sequel but you want it to have unique elements of its own.

Hopefully when we add more of the combat stuff like combination attacks and the UI is less placeholder it'll start gaining more of its own identity

Now I feel like I can't make a game anymore. I've always figured everyone just turned a blind eye to pirating tools.

Can't I just do pirate things, make the game, and buy the tools legally right before releasing the game/announcing it publicly?