I am in the market for both as they have similar prices in my country

I am in the market for both as they have similar prices in my country.

One has the looks and the racing pedigree of the ///M badge

The other one gave us the r35 gt-r and is probably more reliable as it's an econobox derivative

Which fucking one Veeky Forums

Other urls found in this thread:

google.com/webhp?hl=en#q=bmw e46 m3 differential problems site:www.m3forum.net&hl=en
youtu.be/K8jLbyNloCg?t=8m18s
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Nürburgring_Nordschleife_lap_times
gtrclub.org/r34.shtml
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

If you like drifts and skids, the m3. If you like carving corners the skyline. Rwd will always have that fun factor of sliding which awd can't do.

GTR. They're sikk and far more children are going to be amazed by the brilliance of a skyline GTR. I know I was. I think I was about 8 or 9 when I saw this beastly R32 scream by me while I was walking down the street. I distinctly remember seeing the words S K Y L I N E on the back of the car. I went home after and researched them and found out all kinds of stuff about cars.

Yeah but that's the thing, kids like em. Without fast and furious I doubt anybody would even know what they were. Talk to any auto enthusiast and the ///M3 would be one of the first things to come to mind, especially if they are into professional racing

Just because you have a GTR doesn't mean you have to put a giant ass aluminum wing, flame decals, and underglow on it. Most of the GTR's I have ever had the pleasure of seeing here in the US are tastefully built and owned by adults.

Every car enthusiast that I have ever met knows what a GTR is as well and respect them very much. Go drive them both and see which one is faster. Go do real research on the two with data around laps. I'm pretty sure there's a Nurburgring time for both the R34 and any M3.

At the end of the day it's up to you. Do you want speed or the opinion of others?

The E46 M3 handles extremely well too. Depending on tire width though you have issues where the thing wants to roll in sharper corners no matter how well you try to balance the car (think of F1.. a lot of times when those guys come out of corners and step on it.. they have to fight the wheel a time or two to save it. The M3 with my 245's on the rear will wanna oversteer even with neutral throttle usage on sharper corners). If you can control a car when it oversteers you'll have zero issues. You have EXCELLENT feel on the front and rear end of the car and it will never surprise you as long as you're focused.

I'm a 5 year owner. First three years were strictly track. I never even registered it for the road for the first three years.

I can say although I've never been in any Jap cars for the track (I own a 2008 TSX as a second car. No complaints other than paint quality), I don't think I could be happier with anything else unless it was something crazy like a 599 or something similar.

If you wanna get crazy with a turbo or something you'll undeniably like the Skyline more than the S54. I know NOTHONG about the motor in the Skyline, but know enough aboit mine to say the M3 has a remarkable stock motor that is just right for the road driving normal, and for the track driving very, very hard.

Ease of maintenance plays a huge role as well. The S54 is very easy to work on. Even the car overall is extremely simple and rather inexpensive no matter what you do. From servicing the cooling system, to adjusting valves, overhauling the VANOS entirely.

Rod bearing, VANOS, subframe, and SMG issues are the only concerns with the car. The 6MT version has NEVER suffered a transmission failure in the history of the generation from 01 to 06 so keep that in mind.

You sound little autistic, regardless, I need to mention that e46 m3s have a weak stock differential - so do not launch them. Ever.

You obviously get the M3 GTR m8

I'm not autistic, I'm only obsessive over this car. My all time favorite car and I doubt that will ever change.

And I'm at 114k miles and still on my stock diff. Having only ever changed the fluid once, I only have lashing which is normal for these cars. There's an explanation from BMW about some spacing left (between something) for shift changes. I'll try to find it.

And when you're on it and moving through the gears, it's as smooth as butter. Zero lash, pop, etc..

You do not need to obsess about a possesion. Simply enjoy your car.

also:

>google.com/webhp?hl=en#q=bmw e46 m3 differential problems site:www.m3forum.net&hl=en

Now I have to get back to work..

>probably more reliable as it's an econobox derivative
What? The Skyline is equivilent to a 3-series in Japan.

I love it. People on the m3 forums admit that harsh launches will fuck the defferintial up even if done once, yet you have an excuse about shaft play and ratios -- when that has nothing to do with what I was talking about.

Typical BMW owner.

>Hurr my polished turd.

There's literally no info about blown diffs from launching on these cars. You're confusing it with broken diff BOLTS (front diff bolt specifically), a problem shared with E36s too. Entirely preventable if your diff mounts and subframe bushings are in good shape (motor mounts and transmission mounts to a lesser extent). Now quit being autistic. He already pointed out the main flaws of the car, no need to add by making shit up as you go like a obsessed autist.

I'm sure there's a R34 GTR owner from Australia on Veeky Forums who can contribute. They're both good cars.

To add BMW released a revised front diff bolt that's stronger with a larger taper. Costs $10 from the dealer and takes 15 minutes.

The R34 is a faster car. Anyone that says you can't drift in a Skyline GT-R doesn't know what they're talking about, the AWD system is like the 911 Turbo in that you only get torque to the front if the steering wheel is relatively centered.

If you keep trying to turn in with no stability control all GT-Rs will let you spin out if that's what you want.

youtu.be/K8jLbyNloCg?t=8m18s

The whole point of the GT-R's AWD is to make it faster around corners with the ability to oversteer and then have the AWD kick in to pull you out so you don't need to back off on the throttle.

No stock variant of the R34 is faster than a stock E46 M3. The M3 has better accel, higher top end, better skidpad, better qtr mile time and this is just on paper.

That's on paper. The E46 M3 is not faster around the nurburgring, it doesn't even beat the R32.

Ring times are bs even Clarkson said so

Clarkson is an entertainer that happens to talk about cars.

If it were all about power and skidpad numbers the R32 would've never been as good as it was. That's just the facts.

We can talk about whether the GT-R is anything other than a fast car, but it's undeniably fast. Faster than an E46 on a track.

>The R34 is a faster car.
LOL
Get out, 12 year old.

you did not fucking just insult clarkson...

>Claiming AWD > RWD makes you 12

Here's your (you). Maybe if we were talking about an E90 things would be different but stock E46 M3 and stock R34 GT-R the GT-R is going to be at least mildly faster.

He's not really that good of a driver, and Chris Harris has detailed pretty well how even the R33 was kicking the shit out of the 993 Turbo in group tests when it came to speed and that had 400 HP.

So a 50hp AWD car is faster than a 100hp RWD car?

The E46 M3 is more powerful and lighter. It's faster than a R34.

>the racing pedigree of the ///M badge
HHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHHAHAA FUCK

I'm liking this bait.

More power doesn't mean anything if you can't deliver that power as needed. The R33 was faster than the R32 because it could deliver full throttle more often on a track, the power difference was basically worthless once you added in the extra weight.

The R34 is a faster car when it comes to things other than racing ricers from traffic lights. If you never intend on taking a corner at speed, I understand, but a holistic view of performance includes the ability to turn and power out of turns.

>the GT-R badge gained racing pedigree after the R32 won every race it entered, being dubbed the "Godzilla" because of it's origin and colour
>M badge pedigree

you trolling?

>the racing pedigree of the ///M badge

have you actually seen a GT-R R34 racing?

i've raced one (although i was in an MR-S) and the aceleration out of the corners was nothing short of fucking brutal. i'd raced M3's, EVO's, Audi TT's and nothing even compared.

also, corner exit speed is usually more influenced by line and traction through the actual corner, not just bhp and torque

i can't tell if i'm agreeing or disagreeing...

The R34 is indeed fast but it`s not faster than the E46 M3, no idea where you`re getting that bullshit from

> that nurburgring time for the r34
It's not real and there's no citation for it
The r33 laps in under 8 minutes, the r34 is faster than the r33. Figure it out yourself

And best motoring put the r34 gtr around tsukuba in the 1:04s

The R33 has a 8:01 Nurburgring lap time, so not under 8 minutes
Also the R33 is 0.42 seconds faster than the E36 M3 on Thruxton race track, figure it out yourself.

7:59Nissan Skyline GT-RR33 V-SpecDirk Schoysman1996Best Motoring - Time Attack / Autocar magazine 97, stock
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Nürburgring_Nordschleife_lap_times

stay mad bmw faggot

So that is what that weird fucking noise is. Thanks man.

r33 owner, diffs can blow under launches with extreme power, but only after sustained beating.

Are you mentally retarded?
Have you actually counted how many racing cars BMW M has produced? How many BMW M cars won races in various racing divisions?
How many brilliant performance cars BMW M has built over the years?

There's a reason why BMW M is regarded as one of the best doing what they do and there's a reason why the GT-R badge is almost irrelevant next to the M badge. That's because only weebs seem to jerk off to >muh godzilla while others just don't really care.
You're comparing a niche car to one of the biggest performance brands in the world responsible for way more memorable racing/road cars.

The R32 only dominated the Japanese touring scene, and won two bathursts getting that godzilla nickname as a result.
It never dominated in any relevant touring championship.

The R32 is still a brilliant car and I really like it, but saying a GT-R has more pedigree than a M car is beyond retarded.

The gentlemen's agreement was a total lie by the R34. The true power rating was roughly 330 HP.

gtrclub.org/r34.shtml

As others have said the Nurburgring time in that photo is just totally made up. The R33 might not have been sub 8 minutes but it was definitely around 8 minutes. The R34 is not slower than the R33 by any measure.

It won the fucking Spa 24 Hours race.

R32 was notable globally, the 993 Turbo was made in direct response to the R32's AWD system.

BMW M has real pedigree, but people need to stop selling the R32 short. At the time it was amazingly innovative. The R33 was a solid improvement but no longer all that special, and the R34 was surpassed by bigger and better things by the end of its production run.

>It won the fucking Spa 24 Hours race.
>people need to stop selling the R32 short

>tfw snek also won Spa 24 hours and people sell it even shorter