Christians, what would you do if we came into contact with intelligent extraterrestrial life?

Christians, what would you do if we came into contact with intelligent extraterrestrial life?

Also, would it mean Jesus had to repeatedly die so he could save each intelligent lifeform?

An alien race might not have fallen as low as humanity and therefore never needed a savior.

I would most likely lose my faith. after all we're made in God image. If there are other species, it means we're not special...It meanswe're living in a random universe.
But that's never going to happen

>made in God image
>implying god's image is the human form
It's obviously referring to self-cognizance.

If the alien is an infidel, he must fear the steel in the name of our lord and saviour jesuchrist
Christus Rex!

All sorts of questions. We understand the Holy Trinity to be thus, however it is formed within the context of our being. Kind of how the church decided Jesus was god, and dictates which Gospels make the Bible.

Anyway I just got done reading VALIS, so I'm starting to think that the creater could be anything.

>Christians, what would you do if we came into contact with intelligent extraterrestrial life?

Convert to Mormonism.

>I have other sheep that do not belong to this sheep pen. I will bring them too. They will listen to my voice, and become one flock, with one shepherd

Make up some mumbo jumbo about how it's all gods plan and try to convert the aliums.

Some better questions to pose Christians are these.

When/if Humans can create fully sentient life, will we be gods?

When/if humans can create and tailor physical space to our needs will we be gods?

Tie them together to say we have created a physical space and species to live inside said space (our situation). Do we force them to worship us, because we created them? Do we give the free-will even if it means dissension and destruction of us (the creators)?

Human beings are on their way to becoming our current idea of god, which is why our idea of god is flawed, and too old. Literal deus ex machina is coming.

You have to preface the questions so they cannot simply answer "It will never happen".

Like >But that's never going to happen

>Also, would it mean Jesus had to repeatedly die so he could save each intelligent lifeform?

Yes and no. A messiah would have to be born among the other intelligent species, live a righteous, sin-free life, and die as one of them in order to save their souls. So it would be a sort of Christ, but a different being from Jesus.

Also this. If the Jews had just listened to God in the first place, we wouldn't have even needed the help.

It's been an hour, bumping for answers.

What makes people think that God didn't create other humans elsewhere or even differnt types of humanoid aliens

Scientifically speaking it's almost pretty much guaranteed that there are other beings in the infinite universe.
When Christians deny science it makes us Look stupid. Gods creations are an expression of his will and frankly its a lot cooler to believe gods will was done though a Big Bang and planets colliding. All that jazz

Free will isn't real. Our perception of the universe is getting better, or so we think.

Interestingly enough, the Vatican actually has plans for converting aliums

This whole thread has me convinced that Theology is really nothing but religious people conducting mental gymnastics.

Nah, I remember it was in a SETI meeting, where a Vatican envoy pretty much said
1) Aliums do not refute God creating the universe
and
2) If they want to convert, then they'd be willing. But Earth Water might be poisonous.

I have a question for my fellow disaffected Catholics.

So we know Hell doesn't exist (or at least in the eternal torture sense). If anything we wander the afterlife in the shadow of the Kingdom of Heaven.

Does anyone feel that ultimately, judgement will come down to nitpicky circumstances? Like if I give a homeless man a dollar, and then later say to a friend "you know, just in case God is real." Will that DQ a good act? What if I don't say it but think it? In my mind, this makes God too human.

You know Angels also exist right?

Some of them are really good at it. The best ones get a thrill from it.

>animals don't go to heaven but surely aliums with a totally different molecular and evolutionary biology will! (even if they are incapable of understanding "God" due to high intellect or social/evolutionary reasons)

>gods will was done though a Big Bang and planets colliding. All that jazz

that is cool but when you start describing that it sounds less and less like the scriptures or more like a different religion all together. its sounds like a cool religion, but does it sound like jesus teachings?

Your religion says you are saved if you have faith in your god. Nitpicky things don't matter. I know more about your religion than you do.

Religion must adapt to truth instead of the other way around.

>Your religion says you are saved if you have faith in your god
>I know more about your religion than you do.

Clearly you don't since faith alone is a prottie fabrication

>Reaction 1
Adam is the Father of all living beings, his sins include every one of them from every part of the universe. Therefore aliens must be converted.

>Reaction 2
God is only the God of the Mankind, and Jesus his savior, the aliens are outside of God's divine plan. Therefore they should be left alone.

>Reaction 3
God called the Mankind to rule the entire universe, aliens included, thefore they should be enslaved and treated like other animals.

>Reaction 4
God called the Mankind to rule the entire universe, since the aliens also possess a comparable intellect, they are competing with Mankind and impeding Mankind's dominion over the universe, therefore they should be exterminated.

I didnt know religions are supposed to adapt. does the bible explain the procedure through which it can be amended like the U.S. constitution does?

please cite the part of the bible where it talks about how we can make changes and add stuff to canon so christianity can adapt into the future.

Isn't the Catholic church open to the idea of aliens, and looks forward to trying to show them the way?

>Adam is the Father of all living beings, his sins include every one of them from every part of the universe. Therefore aliens must be converted
KEK. but he's fucking human. also
>all living beings
you mean like all the living beings on earth that were supposedly created on days before Adam?

You take the bible too literally dummy
The point of the bible isn't to detail the creation of the universe with exact precision
Gen just explains that God created the universe through will power
If you don't think the bible had to conform to reality you are king moron

it does just as much as any other mythology
>inb4 Origin

And postulates that they may be free from original sin.

We have, and do, every day.

We call them demons. They can pose as anything. People. Lights. Monsters. Anything.

And God is hyper-intelligent extraterrestrial life.

You naturalists and humanists and evolutionists have no defenses against demons. None.

That's exactly what Gen is dummy
It's a collection of Babylonian mythology

What's the point of Christianity?

Jesus is dead...

I'm well aware. how does this disprove that it waa meant to be taken literally? to me that strengthens the case for it not being "a metaphor"

If Jesus stayed dead, there would be no Christianity.

But he stayed dead, you only believe he got resurrected because some people told you so.
But even they probably meant it as a symbol not as literal events.

You understand that magic is not real right?
And only proof for Jesus being alive and actively God right now is a just people microwaving their children because Jesus told them so.

Well then you must be a stupid son of a bitch

if he is still alive then perhaps you can introduce me to him. oh yeah, Jesus is in heaven... with all the dead people...

Pope Francis said he would baptize aliens...

...Let's hope they aren't water sensitive like the ones from that Mel Gibson movie.

Those people who told us that Jesus rose after death were killed for spreading the news of what they believe.

Jesus died, then rose from the dead and was assumed into heaven.

This padre ain't my pope.

>have no defenses against demons.
>None.

>he's never raped a demon before

You aren't a Catholic

Purge the xenos scum?

>Brethren, if thou shouldst happen upon an Indu in thy traveles, how wilt thou respond? Should our Lord hath died many a time, that the Indu and the Frenchman be alike redeemed?

More seriously though, I'm sure the Church would schism over whether the Bible included them in the word "man," or whether they have a separate relationship with the trinity distinct from mankind's, but I don't think it'd pose a serious challenge to any core theology.

It's been a day, no supposed Christian has even touched this post.

Anyone wanting to argue with Christians keep those questions in mind, they always work.

>Human beings are on their way to becoming our current idea of god, which is why our idea of god is flawed, and too old. Literal deus ex machina is coming.

the problem with your idea is that, well, basically: we're nowhere near Christian theology's concept of God. nor will we ever be capable of becoming such, as God isn't defined by simply being powerful or able to create things.

God's defining aspect is that he is the first cause and overall foundational principal of the universe. not simply that he made it (ex nihilo, which is something we will never accomplish), but that he is what causes existence itself to...well, continue existing.

so if we achieve the marvelous powers you project, that doesn't make us god. rather, it merely makes us powerful beings...powerful, but still very much on the "creature" side of the creator-creature divide.

the lesser beings we whittle out of pre-extant matter may worship us, but theologically, we'd hold no higher station than the Angels or demons. god would still be god.

I've considered this before, and it's not really a tricky question.

in Christian thought, man needed reconciliation with God due to Adam. even if you take Genesis as an allegory, the full text of the Bible supports the idea that man's inclination to sin is an inherited condition that's part of human nature.

Christ came to correct that inclination to sin for mankind.

now then, an alien may come from a species with no "fall", and thus no inclination to sin. in this, they'd need no reconciliation, and no Christ.

further, Christ's nature "works" by uniting man to God by subsuming each individual man into christs man-nature. this is why the doctrine of Christ's two nature's is important. consequently, it breaks the mechanism by which an alien would "use" Christ -- being non-human, they would not be able to unite with God through Christ, as they would be unable to be subsumed in Christ's man-nature, given that they are not human.

finally, Christianity is God's message to mankind. it's teachings only make sense for humans and our physical makeup. for instance, we have teachings about consuming alcohol, and gender roles that may not make sense for other species.

so, basically, aliens may not need Christ, and if they do, then god would have incarnated the son in such a way as to profit them, as christ Jesus was human specific.

>Christians, what would you do if we came into contact with intelligent extraterrestrial life?
OMG, ALIUMS!
>Scientifically speaking
More like "statistically speaking, sorta"

damn...you american atheists and your edgyness never ceases to amaze me.
I make a post impersonating a christian an you all take my bait to show off "how much better and intelligent we are" that easily?
Fucking hell. What kind of christian loses his faith? What kind of christian says "random universe"? kek
But why do you american atheists always have the need to feel superior? Why can't you be peaceful atheists like myself and simple don't talk about religion and respect everybody who follows a religion.