Why does it seem the field of philosophy is lacking behind...

Why does it seem the field of philosophy is lacking behind? We have all these great modern theories about parallel universes and shit, and it seems philosophers still just sit around talking about if they should pull the lever or not.

Philosophy isn't about results

Science is literally a philosophy.

Science tells you how, philosophy attempts to tell you why. They are not separate.

Isn't he an evolutionary biologist?
Assuming the quote is real, shouldn't he know that murder is present all over the animal kingdom?

yeah and he's saying that is sad
that is why he cry

Considering the forging process and caloric expenditure on firing a gun, it rivals it

That's like crying that only one in a million sperm survives, or some other dumb shit

Thats not as many wasted atoms as an adult male is it, cheesedick?

Hes simply an emotional mathematician

Of course its not a real quote. Did 50000 atoms making a human being not strike you as suspect?

no because sex burns less atoms than it creates when a new human being comes into the world. it's always a net gain.
it's a simple number's game really.

How can you waste atoms, retard?

You don't burn atoms, you burn calories you mong.

Christ, only one month to go

By killing them. Human atoms are mwant to be contributing to society to start the space age. Dying in yours 80s and not sooner is ideal.

Theres a suprisibgly quantifiable amount

>what are burned calories

this

atoms consist of calories

wew lad might want to tone down that b8

But then you've gotta start bombing abortion clinics and condom factories because you never know if the baby is going to be the next Einstein

I agree, its wank

C'mon man you gotta be a little subtle about it

atoms aren't alive

calories are just a measurement of energy, and everything in the universe consists of energy, including atoms.

That is a retarded nonsensical word salad.
What the fuck is a "why"? Thats just anthropomorphizing causes, its thinking like a monkey. There is no why, thinking there's a why implies purpouse and will behind it. Fuck off.

*tips fedora*

science is the data, philosophy is interpretation of the data you fucking mongoloid

You are under the assumption why is objective, nowhere did I even imply that.

Make an argument without projecting.

Not really.

Philosophy's nice, but it's pretty useless

If the why is not objective, what in the fuck are you then saying? You're looking for an answer that has no actual value? Or that its like taste, its just preference and philosophy helps you find out what it means to you? Soulsearching basicly and mental therapy?

Science is the method to get reliable results you dink. Data is data. Science is science.
Philosophy is about how to meaningfully discuss and define concepts.

>If the why is not objective, what in the fuck are you then saying? You're looking for an answer that has no actual value? Or that its like taste, its just preference and philosophy helps you find out what it means to you? Soulsearching basicly and mental therapy?
How do you have such bad reading comprehension you can inherently misinterpret something to that degree?

You literally said asking why implies there is reason which literally means you are thinking why is objective but just doesn't exist
you are simply fucking wrong. Why is entirely subjective. Philosophy answers that, science gives you the hard 'technical' answers as to how.

How can you not understand this? Why are you so frustrated?

>all that anger over one simple broad statement
4chin at it's finest.

No metabolic process im aware of actually destroys atoms though. Stripping them of their energy and electrons is not the same thing

>that quote
Pathetic, dawkins is a fucking meme

Hey fedoratron 3.1 ALPHA, why would a completely chaotic, materialistic universe without any purpose create sentient life forms that are hardwired into trying to use the immutable laws of nature and science to seek out an understanding of our existence?

What makes you so certain that the universe has no purpose, and that any attempt to find purpose is merely an illogical attempt to anthropomorphize something vastly beyond our comprehension?

This universe has unbreakable laws that all matter within must adhere to. How does something with no purpose and no reasoning create a set of unbreakable rules? I'm not arguing in favor of religion, but rather against pure atheistic existential nihilism.

It seems highly illogical to believe that this universe created itself and a set of immutable laws all of the universe must follow with no reason or purpose in mind. I'm also aware that subatomic partical physics and Newtonian physics differ greatly, but there are still many constants and absolutes in the laws of physics for them to be an accident.

I don't claim to know why. It could be intelligent design by some beings vastly superior to the likes of us, it could be God, or any other number of things we haven't come to understand yet.

However, to claim that asking "why" the universe exists is a waste of time is just as stupid as burning someone at the stake for saying the earth revolves around the sun in ancient times. It's counter productive.

b-but it's current year and i-it's not cool to think anything matters

Philosophy deals with ideas. It can't make laser guns or nuclear energy.

>What makes you so certain that the universe has no purpose, and that any attempt to find purpose is merely an illogical attempt to anthropomorphize something vastly beyond our comprehension?
Because we're not separate from the chaotic materialistic universe, we're a part of it, and the unbreakable laws are just the result of us observing our surroundings and creating predictive models of them.

It's one thing to say "We as humans should do x, y, and z for reasons a, b, and c". It's another thing to say the universe itself has innate purpose built into it, especially when we're still children in our cribs postulating the workings of our mobile after bapping at it with our grubby little baby finger tips.

>le ebin insignificant monkey maymay

way to miss his point dumbass. intelligibility implies intelligence, dumbass

I never said we were separate from the universe, infact I specifically said that we are product of it. The only way in which we are separate from the true material universe is our subjective conscious interpretation of it. Even then, our consciousness and subjective perspectives are still parts of the material universe, we just have a very poor understanding of the true nature of consciousness' role in the universe.

Yes, we are still infantile in our understanding of the universe, but that's no reason to presuppose that it has no purpose or reason. If anything, it just goes to show that as our understanding grows, our likelihood of discovering the true purpose of our creation will only come closer.

Another thing I should have added to the last post I made in response to you is that even if human-discovered laws are only based on observations of patterns and trial and error within our limited human perspective, it doesn't matter.

The universe has been operating according to its own laws billions of years before sentient human life existed and had a chance to catelog them ourselves. The universe has always had these laws, and it always will.

Black holes

>Firing a gun burns only 5
How big are the atoms in gunpowder?

Because you're an uneducated piece of shit in both the sciences and philosophy

>sciences
there's only one science

Yeah, one month to go until Veeky Forums is just as shit as always

sub-divisions lad

>metabolic process

>philosophy is interpretation of the data
Fucking no. Science is interpretation of data gathered by science.
you fucking mongoloid

Philosophy isn't useless at all. It's a great guide in an era of information overload, where life can feel like a rat race to retirement.

>50,000 atoms to make a human
lol, it's way more than that, at least 100,000 atoms in a person.

>Why does it seem the field of philosophy is lacking behind?

Because all the important philosophical ideas nowadays are too difficult for the average person to comprehend and so only meme philosophers and babby ideas are given any attention to in the media. Further the idea that philosophy is just 'morals' and 'existence of God yes/No' has been propagated so hard that most people don't even consider that philosophy has anything else to offer or be of concern.

It's not a quote you genius.

The physical laws emerged naturally. What you're saying is like saying mountains must have a creator because there's no way they could form naturally.

There's around 7 billion billion billion atoms that make up the average person.

>We have all these great modern theories about parallel universes and shit

Literal fairy tales.

The universe didn't start out chaotic, it is moving towards chaos. What is entropy? You fucking brain dead faggot.

I like you, user. You're a cool guy.

Those physical laws are what made mountains forming possible. A needs to happen for B to be possible. Therefore something else caused the laws to form. We don't know what that is. My money is on God. Now pass off with your false equivalence.

And where would you propose we begin to look for that true purpose? What about people who already """"know"""" the true purpose?

If you read his post he said we will move closer to realizing what the true purpose is as our understanding of the Universe grows.

Since the universe is everything there is, I think he was implying we need to look every where.

because philosophy is not a science.

it is a joke free yourself from it

Cause you're not in it

philosophy deals with beginnings and conclusions, or the things that science is put to use for
science is made to seem objective or separate from the real world but really it's always in the service of something or other

Remove postmodernism