Is $425 a decent price to have a friend replace my timing belt, water pump...

Is $425 a decent price to have a friend replace my timing belt, water pump, and internal engine gaskets and seals (down to the head gasket)?

Total cost would be $650 with parts added to the equation on an old Honda.

>friend does it
>fucks something up
>you're out of an engine
>doesn't pay you back
>friendship ended
Shiggy diggy

do it yourself fag

He's done the timing belt and water pump a couple years and 90,000 miles ago, and since he's already a mechanic at a dealership, I have full faith in him doing everything right.

Ok, then go for it.

Im not ready for a new car.

I know if I work on anything as essential as a timing belt or messing with the valvetrain, I'll end up fucking it up.

Well, my question wasn't answered. Would you consider $425 to be a great price to have someone do all of this?

It has steps that aren't rocket science, follow the steps and the only way you'll fuck it up is if you fuck it up yourself and don't follow the steps.

Yes. Dealership could be 1000+ depending on make.
>speaking for vw here

I didn't make this thread to have someone bitch at me for choosing a safer/affordable path because I lack the necessary skill or knowledge to work on engines. I also lack the time and patience to work on it myself.

Thank you :)

>safer/affordable
Safer yes, Affordable no. 100 bucks will get you pretty much everything.

>1000+

300-500. OP isn't driving a lifted v8.

>Timing belt kit: $78
>Engine gasket and seal kit: $120

At Rock Auto

Where are you getting your prices from, a salvage yard?

But since it's too late to wait for the gasket kit to mail in, I'm spending $150 at AutoZone.

>He actually believes his body is going to pull his head off
>He actually thinks he is going to replace all those gaskets
You are going to get fucked and I look forward to the thread where your buddy is no longer your buddy.

That's because he's my friend, guy.

>Friend
Friends don't charge friends for work. If he was your real friend he would pull your ass out there and show you as you two worked.

He is going to fuck you over. It happens every single time one of these threads have been posted for the last 10 years.

But, no I'm not expecting him to replace every seal, just the ones for the valve cover, spark plug well, intake and exhaust, and head gasket.

>He actually thinks his friend is going to tear his engine down to the headgasket
>for 400 bucks

That's a lot of work he is claiming his friend is going to do, if he actually does a proper job $650 would be a fair price for it.

His buddy is going to do it for 425. He is going to fuck up his car, and I'll be here laughing.

>Friends don't charge friends for work
I make them owe me. "Ey you remember when i LS swapped your pushbike? Well i need help moving house"

>if he actually does a proper job $650 would be a fair price for it.

That's what I do.

>friends want me to fix their computers and other electronics
>off to pay me
>tell them no
>they insist
>tell them to get me a burger and come over while I work

You seem to have missed the part where I've had him work on my car, before.

Sure, he only did the timing belt and water pump for $250, but would you still say he would fuck it up for just that price if I posted this thread two years ago?

>reading comprehension
>650 is for labor PLUS parts

>inb4 rounded/broken head bolts and he doesnt know what to do

>SOHC
>Old Honda engine
>Non collision
YOU CAN'T FUCK THIS UP! Jesus christ, you could do it yourself for cheap as fuck.

Is that not a fair price?

>I also lack the time and patience to work on it myself.

>honda
Have you accounted for getting the head checked out and resurfaced?

>Implying V8s in lifted trucks are harder to work on

No; he might do that, since he has the tools.

Hes a professional mechanic with that kind of machinery?

>manlets

He's an automotive technician at a Hyundai dealership; he shares a garage with his dad and brother, who also do a shitload of projects.

Well you should have said he was professional from the beginning

But I wanted to see the typical Veeky Forums responses.

Ok

>Hyundai
Enjoy the dead car

Had my timing belt, pump, accessories and gaskets done in NZ for $460 for my MX5.

Really depends on the car and I don't know hondas.

On the other hand, guy at work said his partners Alfa 15 something or rather, 2010+ model, was quoted $1500 for brake pads, timing belt and they said his AC needs regassing (not included in quote). Guy who did my MX5 said he'd do the above work for $780.
We wondered if they would take off the rotors and machine them, but even then it's a fucking ripoff.

Ask around, get quotes.

That is like an afternoons worth of work if you do it yourself. instead of losing your car for 2-3 weeks.

>water pump/ timing belt / headgasket
>honda

a nigger could do this in his driveway OP

that's a good price. it's a fuckton of work. dont just get the head gasket replaced though. have the head shaved and porosity checked at a shop as well. if you're going to the extremes of replacing the head gasket then may as well do the valve stem seals

for the timing belt alone maybe. a head gasket kit is a bit more expensive.

nah it's a machining job to do that. you may as well get the head serviced as well. valve grind job, clean in a vat, add a few hundred extra into your final cost and your car will run much better. no point in replacing a head gasket unless you have problems with your head. no point in replacing it unless you replace it properly.

>pull d series head
>lightly clean surfaces, inspect valves
>throw hg on and torque with new bolts

there's no reason to pull the head apart for a fucking gasket change. autism lord

Dropped it off Sunday arvo, picked it up Monday morning on the way to work.
Guy works with drag racing electrics, ignition etc as a side hobby. Good bloke.

If I was going to lose my car for 3 weeks you bet your ass I'd do it myself.