/agdg/ - Amateur Game Dev General

Sunday Afternoon Edition.

>Current Game Jam (Space)
itch.io/jam/agdg-space-jam

>Next Demo Day (X)
itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-10

Helpful Links: tools.aggydaggy.com/# (Still in beta)
New Threads: Archive: boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/agdg/
SoundCloud:soundcloud.com/groups/agdg-audiofriends

>Chats
discord.gg/chquY2e
steamcommunity.com/groups/vgamedevcrew
webchat.freenode.net/?channels=vidyadev

>Previous Demo Days
pastebin.com/X6fLvtzA

>Previous Jams
pastebin.com/hVhvNWLw

>Engines
GameMaker: yoyogames.com/gamemaker
Godot: godotengine.org/
Haxe: haxeflixel.com/
LÖVE: love2d.org/
UE4: unrealengine.com/what-is-unreal-engine-4
Unity: unity3d.com/

>Models/art/textures/sprites
opengameart.org/
blender-models.com/
mayang.com/textures/

>Free audio
machinimasound.com/
freesound.org/browse/
incompetech.com/music/
freemusicarchive.org/

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/AXs5q2S7
gafferongames.com/game-physics/fix-your-timestep/
assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/8910
hastebin.com/iturotamez.coffee
lmgtfy.com/?q=delta time
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

2nd for trump will win.

doing my best

doing my worst >:^)

Of course. And it's easier to stay determined if you are motivated.

Friendly reminder nobody actually reads these threads except for a handful of extremely lonely shut ins who spend every hour of the day here. If you're a gamedev or aspiring gamedev hoping to post here so you can interact with a "community" of gamedevs you should know you're really only interacting with the same handful of pathetic individuals that have always been here, give or take a few.

1,500 posts a day, sometimes more, and only 100 posters in every thread, and of those 100 posters, only a dozen are actually here reading your post. This is a Veeky Forums general. The saddest kind of thread type on Veeky Forums.

Have a good day!

all the logic of my game is based on 60 fps
when i bump it up to 144, the game runs way too fast

stay mad nodev

>mfw math

>>>/reddit/

Fix it

>Used to be shit at math in school and collage just last year
>Start to read it up when i need it
>mfw its more or less easy when you understand it

The majority of maths you'll use in gamedev is braindead-easy.

>set in sweden
It's fairly empty here. And when it's not empty it's just a city. Not generic grid-type cities that are huge and sprawling but they're not particularly interesting to me. Perhaps they would be to other people.
pastebin.com/AXs5q2S7
But I've found one map I kinda liked in CSGO. It's effectively conveying actual Swedish scenery from my local region even (with the red houses and white trim).

I could easily imagine that being an actual place. It serves its purpose.

But for regions other than the US the thing is that a lot of shit happens in the US. People are familiar with block busters making the US an exciting place. It's a very large region to work with so there's plenty of territory that's anarchic (far away from police and such).

There's also deserts mixed with modern facilities. Which is a fairly important thing for post-apocalyptic scenarios. Sure it'd be cool to go through tons of forests and shit here. It's not that it's bad looking. There's plenty of natural food supply. But it's a very difficult process to design the terrain.
If you don't want farmed woodland (sortof half-densely packed trees or densely packed trees, ground that's very hard to traverse because it's so bumpy and there's tons of old tree stubs) and you opt for more natural woodland (plenty of room to move usually. Rather smooth walking terrain, can often have large variations in terrain height). That's very hard to render, build and make gameplay for. With dense forests they can simply be more or less inaccessible. With natural forest they're simply difficult to make. you see this in every game that does forests pretty much. Crysis (1 & the expansion) did a decent job with its forests. But they used them rather sparingly.

Also I think nerds don't go outside enough. That's probably a big part of it.

Everything is easy/easier when you understand it

What about the minority?

Cant you skip a few physics time steps and keep rendering the frames that way?

Maybe I should have said:
The majority of maths used in gamedev is braindead-easy.

The minority that is hard will probably not be used by You.

>you will always be a loner dev

Without interpolation, that wouldn't help anything.
With interpolation, he would effectively be decoupling logic from framerate anyways.

How would I even do that? Wouldn't I have to change every object's speed values based on the current FPS?

thanks mothdan

gafferongames.com/game-physics/fix-your-timestep/

I'm already using that code you dingus.

Then there shouldn't be an issue.

Nice namefag post
>extremely lonely shut ins who spend every hour of the day here
>pathetic individuals that have always been here

(You)

>use Unity
>cursor lock state is bugged and impossible to use

>look it up
>the same problem has existed for the past 2 years
>tons of people complaining, submitting tickets, asking for bugfix
>still never fixed

jesus fucking christ. literally going to have to switch engines, FUCK Unity developers

me on the bottom

>devving is easier than i thought
>it's orders of magnitude more tedious, especially since i have to figure shit out as i go
>have to use gm 8.1 cause lol toaster
>tablet driver crashes my winxp brick shitbox so i have to resort to pixels
>my designs are uninspired, and look like ass in pixel form
thousands of nigglets add up to godfuckingdamnitijustwanttolikejustmakegame

I'd dev with you if I could manage to git gud and not bring you down

I guess that's enough backgrounds to test shit

assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/8910
;^)

>I'm already using that code you dingus.
Then you did it wrong
You should be able to run your game at 1000fps or 20fps without the speed being affected.

ok

oops

This here is exactly why Unity won't fix many bugs and add big features, they can't just fuck over the Asset devs and make their shit obsolete.

imma be evicted in exactly 2 weeks
wat do

>they can't just fuck over the Asset devs
Why not?
Why do they have to give a shit about this?

>paying an extra 20$ for a bugfix

like I said: FUCK Unity devs

watch madoka until they come for you.

put the dentist out of business

Because they get money from store sales and they have to keep the devs confident you retardumb, no one would make assets if the Unity guys just stole and added them in the next update.

By not fixing shitty things. People stockholmed into Unity will do it for them.
BUT with the added bonus of selling it for $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

So Unity can be lazy and make money!

Unity__

>if the Unity guys just stole and added them in the next update.
Why do you think they'd do that? They'd fix their software. Promouse still has proper features.
Yeah, sure. They probably earn more this way. The amount of people leaving unity over every minor issue is very small so there's an optimization process of only fixing the stuff that upsets people too much.

They get a cut from asset store sales
Unity's fucking shit

time to start sucking dicks user

at one point in my life it was the only way

Downloading Source 2 SDK source2engine.com

>unity

How was X11 allowed to live and mutate into the utter cancer it is today

They've said that the asset store barely even pays for itself so they aren't looking to make money there.

where are the games?

>They've said that the asset store barely even pays for itself so they aren't looking to make money there.
Sounds like a company we can trust.

New monster today. Before I progress any farther, just wanted some critiques on the skin texture. What can I do to improve it before I start working on the clothes?

What about pic related?

How much calculus would one need to know to be able to read PBR From Theory To Implementation?

Hello Unity™ PR.

because they make most of their money off of microtransactions on the asset store, whale nodevs who think they can buy progress

That's either a lie or they're just that fucking lazy.
Either way is no good.

hi danny

Reading over it again, the only thing I can think that I might be doing wrong is that I'm not passing the state variable into my render function. I'm looking through the source code but I can't see why he does that. Anyone know what it's for?

leave me alone reek

>I'm looking through the source code but I can't see why he does that. Anyone know what it's for?
For interpolation, this is not your problem.
Your timestep code is fucked if it's still affected by fps.

by... brushing their teeth? I don't see how that will help

>still freaking out about aspects of unity that don't affect them instead of just making game
Engie life

>Engie
>using unity.
What?

Unless you're trying to devise your own approximations to spherical harmonics, you don't need to care about any of this.

>anyone who talks bad about Unity is an engine-dev
wew lad

>still trying to fix their project after the latest update broke it completely

>loonix

You don't work with it in that form if you ever do.

I want to be able to read that, understand that, and eventually write my own fancy shaders beyond blinn-phong

Engies are engine devs. They don't use Unity which is why they shouldn't be concerned with it. But because Unity devs can make games and they can't, everything about Unity makes them so upset they shit themselves in fury and give themselves engie hemorhhoids.

Well YOU'RE not an enginedev, certainly. You're just a literally insane fucktard who has never even come close to making a game. You're still ass hurt about Unity for the same reasons as engies though.

How's that gmod map doing? Still sitting covered in dust since you started your shitposting campaign to "avenge" being bullied 10 months ago?

wew lad

>hello, yes I defend a game engine on the internet for free

>i flail my hands and screech about an engine i don't even use

How do I make my game fps independent?

you don't, fps independence is a meme

Multiply by dt where appropriate.

Use deltatime

Make a board game.

>not taking Angel of Death

Dat riff though.

what's delta time

Could it maybe be the fact that I'm doing some minor timestep shit in my main.cpp, and then doing the stuff from the article in another file?

hastebin.com/iturotamez.coffee

>what's delta
did you ever go to school?

lmgtfy.com/?q=delta time

a particularly shitty way of "predicting" how long the next frame will take to render

I've never read the book but the notation in that image is pretty intuitive, especially with the annotations.

I mean, fuck, I'm a hardcore enginedev but I'd never dream of trying to do my own SH. I'll just use an existing BRDF like Cook-Torrance.

Just implement GGX for glossy mats and some Disney BRDF for diffuse. There is code for both in the Frostbite document DICE made when they went for PBR.

>149477643
(You)

...you literally just stuck the code directly from the article into your game and expected it to affect everything else and make it framerate-independent?

Change in time.
Delta is the universal symbol for change.

>triggered
I wonder who???

>something is more or less easy when you understand it

not predicting how long the next frame will take but counting how long it took for the last frame to render

It's not just there. I'm using delta time for everything; moving objects, timers, etc.

>I'm using delta time for everything; moving objects, timers, etc.
If you use fixed timestep you don't use delta time anywhere else, that's the point

I know what it means, I didn't know what it is in programming.

so, it doesn't make any difference for most of my stuff anyway.

The point of using it is predicting how long the next frame will take, based on how long the current frame took. That's why he says it's shitty - because you can't assume frames take the same amount of time.

Anyone here try to put lore into your game?

I'm considering to buy Considering buying the complete history of middle earth. So I can see how to develop lore. I already read the Silmarillion.

I also started to read George RR Martin ASIOF, but his books are really long.

I already read most of H.P. Lovecraft books and Dune series. I notice that the lore in Dune does not influence the book in anyway. We know the back story of human being inslaved by robots and destroying earth, but that does not play a part in the series until god emperor of dune.

Yet in Lord of Rings and Game of Thrones the lore plays a part straight away.

You're not updating in the accumulator. You'll then need to actually get everything to interpolate because otherwise it will look choppy.