Were the middle ages really as shitty, dark, violent and ignorant as our society makes them to be?

Were the middle ages really as shitty, dark, violent and ignorant as our society makes them to be?

Isn't this just projecting? There were no fucking world wars, holocausts, school shootings and sky high divorce rates in the middle ages.

Sure, you didn't have much "freedom" but you did the same thing your dad did and your wive and children were obedient and you were obedient to the king. That's gods eternal order. Doesn't sound like a bad deal to me.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cat-burning
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kattenstoet#Background
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fox_tossing
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cock_throwing
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goose_pulling
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duck-baiting
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monkey-baiting
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Fornovo
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Be more specific.

there were no world wars, holocausts, school shootings and sky high divorce rates in ancient aztec society

is their society far better than our own because of this? think before you post next time please

The one projecting here is you. And if you want to show exemples of modern fatalism then use something else than such biased 'hololcaust' or 'school shootings'. There are much worse stuff in the world out there.

They were people without central plumbing.

There were people called mongols

>Were the middle ages really as shitty, dark, violent and ignorant as our society makes them to be?
Much of it was, much of it wasn't. The middle ages spans 1000 years.

>There were no fucking world wars,
There were plenty of huge wars lasting decades resulting in millions dead
>holocausts,
There were genocides and mass killings on smaller scales, obviously limited by the technology of the day
>school shootings
Rather the odd school shooting than a town beiseged and its entire populus put to the sword
>and sky high divorce rates in the middle ages.
Lack of divorce just demonstrates women having no rights

There was also the plagues which killed millions, people like the Mongols, the 30 years war, religious persecution, and more.

>but you did the same thing your dad did and your wive and children were obedient and you were obedient to the king. That's gods eternal order. Doesn't sound like a bad deal to me.
No it was changing continually, life in 1200 for an English peasant would be very different for an English peasant in 1500, who is more or less not even a peasant anymore.

If the Renaissance was an improvement, I can't imagine how shitty, dark, violent and ignorant the Middle Ages must have been:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cat-burning
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kattenstoet#Background
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fox_tossing
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cock_throwing
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goose_pulling
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duck-baiting
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monkey-baiting

I don't particularly care about cruelty to animals (hunting and bullfighting is civilized behavior in my book), but how fucking stupid and barbaric do you have to be before you think the activities above make for good entertainment?

>>Lack of divorce just demonstrates women having no rights
That can be quite a deal for the average man though, to be quite honest.

>30 years war
Fuck dude...

The Middle Ages also didn't have massive human sacrifices dipshit.

>Lack of divorce just demonstrates women having no rights

Men weren't allowed to divorce either retard.

The Renaissance was worse than the late Middle Ages in every possible way, except art. Although I'm not even sure about that.

>Retard of the day award
In case you havnt been paying attention, the middle ages was filled with violent conflicts like the crusades,rise of Islam,Mongol raids,hundred years war and plague.

The Renaissance was comparatively peaceful compared.

This is because economies changed, instead of land being wealth, commerce and coin became the basis of power.

>The Renaissance was comparatively peaceful compared.
Oh my God.

Start by looking up the Religious Wars, Italian Wars, Thirty Years War, not to mention witch hunts, epidemics, and religious persecutions, and then never post on Veeky Forums again.

>Italian War
Armies comprising forces from the many independent towns of Italy were raised by establishing a contract, or condotta, between the town leaders and the leaders of mercenary bands, who came to be called Condottieri. This led to the development of tactics destined to establish field supremacy, the capture of wealthy prisoners for ransom, and the minimizing of casualties.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Fornovo

>I posted

Yes, yes and yes.

If , of course, by middle ages you mean the high middle ages, which here in Italy we classified as from 600 AD TO 1000-1050 AD, while the LOW middle ages, which go from 1050 AD TO 1492 AD were actually a time of innovation, new technology (crop rotation etc) and marvelous architecture (Gothic cathedrals etc)

What are you babbling about you autist, the point is the Renaissance was a much more violent time than the Gothic Era.

Literally the next line was:
>These tactics were to be put to shame when the highly motivated armies of France and Spain descended upon the Italian peninsula.

It goes on to explain how Italians would end up being the bullied scrawny nerds of the European playground for centuries.

>cant read "minimising casulties tactics"
Just carry on posting you lies

>marvelous architecture (Gothic cathedrals etc)
You know why those cathedrals took so long to build? because they kept falling down

>Lack of divorce just demonstrates women having no rights
Don't mind me, just posting a woman with more power than even many noble men could ever dream of possessing. And she wasn't the only powerful woman of the middle ages by far.The biggest limitation they had in terms of power is that in some countries they couldn't become regnant monarchs. That didn't stop from Eleanor becoming so powerful she might as well have been a queen (and she actually did become a queen through marriage).

>witch hunts
Kek, witch hunts are generally associated with the "dark" ages, but they weren't really a big thing until the 'enlightened' renaissance.

>If , of course, by middle ages you mean the high middle ages, which here in Italy we classified as from 600 AD TO 1000-1050 AD
I see you're ignoring Charlemagne and the Carolingian renaissance, which DID affect Italy. The periods before and after that were probably pretty shit until Italian city-states started emerging as powerful entities.

The Thirty Years War wiped out a third of the German population you retard. All of Western Europe was practically in a constant state of war while religious massacres and all sorts of persecutions were being committed non-stop,

> see you're ignoring Charlemagne and the Carolingian renaissance, which DID affect Italy.

Huuum, what Renaissance?

It was only thanks to the Byzantines if Romanic architecture was spread in Italy and the rest of Europe.

The "Carolingian Renaissance" was just Western Europe falling into the cultural periphery of Byzantium. But Italy was already a Byzantine colony before that.

>don't mind me, just posting a woman with more power than even many noble men could ever dream of possessing.

That didnt change the bleak reality of 99.9% of women who didnt win the vaginal lottery. What you are posing here just ignores the issue of womens rights entirely it would be akin to someone saying that blacks had a raw deal under slavery only for you to counter about a prominent black slave owner

I like how your idea of "women's rights" consists in being able to fuck as many men as possible.

being a rural peasant was probably breddy gud if you lived in some unimportant place, true suffering for the lower classes began in the renaissance, the plague was only terrible in densely packed areas to/labour

>high protein diet of veggies and grains
>wash daily at the public bath (maybe get some sex or at least see hot chicks naked)
>only interaction with the state is some faggot coming to collect taxes every so often or having to go in a war maybe
>honest farm or laboring work
>just have to go to church every Sunday and give them some money

Also I think you'll find divorces still weren't legal in the Renaissance.

Oh so youve given up on the Italian wars being bloodier than the middle ages have you? Good thing

>the thirty years war
the middle ages has the hundred years war-which was just as bloody,and was 70-100 years longer!

>The Renaissance was comparatively peaceful

No its more like being able to leave an abusive partner and not be required by law to put out regardless of your will.

Its about being able to control and own property as well as enter into contracts, its about not being barred from political and educational institutions.

Unlike your version of womens rights were a woman could become a monarch so long as she had no other brothers.

>Also I think you'll find divorces still weren't legal in the Renaissance.

Im not the guy arguing that period was heaven only that the middle ages was a shitty, dark, violant time to be a woman.

>its entire populous put to the sword

this happened so rarely that we only know about it because it was so shocking at the times it did occur that people thought "shit nigga better write this down"

they didn't just massacre constantly m80 the fuck would you capture somewhere then burn it and kill everyone?

Right, unlike all those male peasants who controlled their property and would enter into contracts.

According to you so was any time in the history of mankind until the 1970s, so it seems weird to single out the Middle Ages.

>Right, unlike all those male peasants who controlled their property and would enter into contracts.

Yes, do you even know what a peasant is?

>According to you so was any time in the history of mankind until the 1970s, so it seems weird to single out the Middle Ages.

Thats because the entire thread is on the middle ages and the OP and other posters here seem to be content to handwave the situation that faced women.

"Were the middle ages really as shitty, dark, violent and ignorant as our society makes them to be?"

When you qualify a historical period, it's obviously compared to other historical periods, in particular those right before and after, otherwise it makes no fucking sense.

>hurr the 1920s were a horrible time because there was no gay marriage
Yeah no.

Over 50% of all children died before the age of 5 prior to 1900

ENJOY YOUR LACK OF MODERN SCIENCE AND MEDICINE

Okay this has been bothering me the whole thread. But, can someone explain to me what the fuck the thirty years war which happened in the 18th century, has to do with the period of the "dark ages".

Also a guy said millions died during the "dark ages". Can someone pull the population of, oh I don't know, the population of planet earth at the time to prove this faggot wrong.

Sorry *17th century

Well the Thirty Years War caused about 8 million deaths, and that guy seems to think it happened in the Middle Ages, so there you go.

That said it's probably true that millions died during the Middle Ages.

> Every new invader made (often literally) his hills of Hindus skulls. Thus, the conquest of Afghanistan in the year 1000 was followed by the annihilation of the Hindu population

> India’s population is said to have been around 600 million at the time of Muslim invasion. By the mid 1500’s the Hindu population was 200 million.
Religion mainly

What the fuck are you talking about? This thread is about the Middle Ages, not India.

>That didnt change the bleak reality of 99.9% of women who didnt win the vaginal lottery.
Or the 99.9% of men who didn't win the vaginal lottery for that matter but let's not talk about them because they simply distort your narrative, don't they?

>central plumbing
I think you meant central planning and plumbing.

Since I'm already posting, the dark ages really were that bad. It was like communism but the church stole everything and gave nothing back. Food production was low per person and everyone spent time worrying about the falsehood that is Catholicism instead of improving their lives.

>holocausts

Modern times didn't have this either. :^)

What's the name of that Dutch sport where you try to rip the head off of a greased goose while on horseback?

>There were no fucking world wars

No, but instead you had constant, perpetual warfare and violent feuding between dukes and barons and small kings for petty reasons.

>holocausts

There were Holocausts. See: Albigensian Crusade in 13th century, the persecution of the Paulicians in the Byzantine Empire, and various other persecutions of "undesirables" (Jews, pagans, "heretics" such as the Waldensians, the Bogomils/Bosnian Church, Lollards, Hussite Reformers).

>school shootings

No, instead you had massacres and pogroms perpetrated either by some crazy entitled noble and his private army or by some angry superstitious peasants: towards the later end of the Middle Ages, we start seeing the witchcraft and werewolf hysteria.

>sky high divorce rates in the middle ages

Aww, did your parents divorce and emotionally damage you?

Either way, your post is idiotic. Fuck off back to /pol/.