ITT: thoughts/ideas you think are worth sharing

>If you are in your current state unhappy but comfortable, you will not become happy if you do not change anything.

i find myself coming back to this quite often and realising its truth

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linguistic_determinism
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

That's fucking obvious, dipshit.

as obvious as it is, i often forget about or don't apply it

sounds kind of obvious, your kind of people are what Aristotle calls the incontinent man in his Nico Ethics, you should read it if you want to become happy and understand how ethics should be dealt with.

>isolation is the cause of all mental problems

Yeah, but that implies being able to have the means, stability, and luck to make changes in one's life. A leisure not everyone's lucky enough to enjoy.

>mental problems are defined as deviations from normal behaviours as defined by society

>t. lazy coward who's afraid to go out of his house and live the life he wants

if you have Internet access you have the means to do almost anything

>you have the means to do almost anything
1). Keyword "almost"
2). Ad hominem
3). Those *means* are a privilege not everyone gets to have. Hell, happiness itself is a privilege that not everyone is capable of having. And you can see that in rates of depression and depressive disorders over the years; even suicide rates.

>if you have Internet access
>internet access
>during a time in human history where even the low income can afford mobile data on their cell phones

>you always know somebody the same way they know you

by almost I meant something like traveling to another dimension inventing a100% realistic vr or something things that are actually difficult to achieve if possible at all, and even they are possible, happiness is pretty easily achieved as demonstrated by tribes all over the world and non-western societies throughout history, perpetual growth of suicide rates is a product of many different variables and phenomenonas of Western culture, society and thought, but the formula of how to become happy has already been made by the likes of philosophers from Plato, Aristotle, and Marcus Aurelius to the Buddha and modern philosophers and social commentators like Aldous Huxley, Terence Mckenna and Alan Watts.

anyway you're not happy because you are lead by vices probably incontinence, cowardice and laziness most.

I've got nothing to look forward to in life but I still have the desire to keep on living

>does everything constantly get older or newer?

>language determines how you think, there are even words in languages that don't have a clear translation to another language. This means if a culture/language goes extinct those ideas and philosphies are lost foever

>my motivation on acquiring historical knowledge is to break down all my stereotypes

what stereotypes?

That love and friendship do not exist.

Both are nothing but chemical reactions in your body rewarding you for social behavior.

>humanity is like a hivemind. if one person's memory was completely erased, all the information, ideas, and identity he lost could be "given back" to him by his friends and family and teachers. therefore From an outside observer, it appears as though these things exist eternally and only manifest themselves through humans from time to time

so the chemical reactions aren't real then?

But that would be generalising and stereotyping the issue with the use of unrealistic absolutes. If there's one fallacy that can be considered both the most gigantic, most common, and most facetious, it's the notion there's a one-size-fits-all method in alleviating one's personal problems. A universal method to a happier, if you will. One that certainly doesn't exist, never existed, and often is propagated through anecdotal evidence or something just as or less reliable (one of the main reasons why most self-help books or web-sites tend to be shit). Happiness is a privilege, and leisure, some people aren't capable of. Whether emotionally, mentally, even physically. There are some out in the world who can't, no matter how they try, how much effort they put in, how much they accomplish, achieve something as simple as a cheerful spirit. Otherwise the issues of depression and suicide wouldn't exist. Otherwise, the sense that a person suffering their affairs is deserving of it because they're not working hard enough to stray from suffering is the same victim-blaming mindset, logic, and argument you'd see thrown to people on the unfortunate end of either a hate crime or sexual assault. Not to mention happiness should be a natural state of being -- not something you have to work for or put effort in. If you're actually putting in (hard) work to be happy, I promise you there's a lot that is monumentally wrong with your state of affairs. And even if you're already happy, then you're obviously privileged here. And enough so to be out-of-touch with a significant portion of one's reality.

They are but they could be stimulated by other means as well. There is no reason to not just to pop a molly instead of participating in the whole ordeal that is courtship.

This is good stuff, here's a Wiki link if you want to read more about it:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linguistic_determinism

hows middle school

>If you're actually putting in (hard) work to be happy, I promise you there's a lot that is monumentally wrong with your state of affairs.

what is wrong about working hard to feel happy?

It was a living hell. Very lonely.

Because you shouldn't have to. It should be something that you just feel naturally like any other emotion. If you're unhappy, the problem would be external factors like stimuli, not the unhappiness itself.

>If you can identify what your internal problem/struggle/conflict is, you have the power to overcome it.

Example
>I think my insecurities and tendency to latch on to people comes from my lack of attention from my mother in early childhood
You know have power over it, and can choose to stop behaving in such a way.

if you have to work hard to be happy, it says quite a lot about you. most of it not good.

>There is no reason to not just to pop a molly instead of participating in the whole ordeal that is courtship.
if you take molly only (you) will experience the benefits

however

if you have a good conversation with someone you both get happiness from it

If they don't exist then what are you talking about?

>it says quite a lot about you. most of it not good.
be more specific user

Muh dick.

they may probably do not exist in anons current life

How does the Berlin & Kay study and their theory on the acquisition of color terms fit into this?

that's unfortunately a context-sensitive answer. so you're going to list some examples to narrow it down better.

so the outside stimuli should be given to you without any effort

cmon user even a baby has to cry in order to get fed

I think when communists and gays and feminists and all the merry band destroyed family values - they actually did not do it hard enough

Now what is done is done and we shall no go backwards but instead take this as an opportunity to go even further :

>Directly dissolve families (rather than subversively)
>Abolish every marriage and civil union
>NATIONALIZE THE CHILDREN
Literally 99% of the newborn should be produced in giant baby-factories, and then raised as pupils of the state

Why ? Because parents are all fucking incompetent and the state isn't
This would produce millions of great men who would ultimately benefit the collective immensely and bring forth a golden age of post-reproduction humanity.

Prove me wrong

>so the outside stimuli should be given to you without any effort
Depends on who, or what, is giving it to you.

We are someone else's dreams. We'll be free as soon as we die.

>everything that is you: your emotions, your knowledge, your personality, your hopes, your dreams, everything, is in your brain. once your brain shuts off for good, that's it
kind of hard to wrap my mind around tBh

older
everything ever made starts at age 0, and ages
we replace older things with things that are less old

>>If you are in your current state unhappy but comfortable, you will not become happy if you do not change anything.
fuck you op

this is how I get over embarrassing moments from years ago. I think about the people involved, and if I can think of anything stupid they've done. if the answer is no, then they probably don't remember much stupid stuff you've done, unless it's really fucking dumb

>Why ? Because parents are all fucking incompetent and the state isn't

I can see you've never met a public employee. The most "competent" public agencies (CIA, DEA) are so incestuous with corporate interests they're basically private anyway. No sane man will ever, ever want Ladasha from the DMV or Bubba the Nasty Gal to be in charge of their children.

no it's not I only gave you references to sources who deals with the matter of being happy, if you want the specifics you need to make the effort and read/listen/investigate them yourself, happiness is a virtue and a state of mind achievable by the use of habitual training to everyone, a life being lived well through building your character and states of mind to be as best as they can be, and enjoying both the product of becoming better and the better reality you create for yourself, happiness is also letting go and calming the mind, cleaning yourself of ego and all emotions to make up space for new emotions, happiness is the product of living a simple, good, and integrative life when putting everything in its right perspective and limits, as I said I won't go into specifics but I gave you plenty of sources and there are countless more, everyday you can learn something new really, it's endless, a life long fight to be happy, and believe me as someone who was depressed for most of his life only a year has passed since I decided I truly want and deserve to be happy and started doing and trying everything I can to see how and what works, and already I see an incalculable improvement in my life, it's amazing how much reality changes when you change, it's worth every second of effort, being happy is truly great!

>I think when communists and gays and feminists and all the merry band destroyed family values
How the actual did you manage to mix
>communists
>gays
>feminists
?

>that pic
Now I'm curious about what actually happened to her mom.
Was it just a typo (she died one year AFTER giving birth)?

my guess was
>biological mom gives up for adoption at birth
>adapted by guy whose wife died a year prior
>called the guy "dad"
>"mom" is dead a year before birth

or just someone edited it

>replacing older things that are less old

isn't that making something newer?

no, that's replacing it

right, you replace and old version of an os with a newer version?

>user trying the nuh uh I ain't mentally ill because he fits the description perfectly

you're not making the original thing newer, you are taking it away and putting in something else.

Worthless NEETs who are good for nothing trying to justify their worthlessness

t. just a random virgin with no knowledge of what he's talking about

>when you can't think of a new colour

kek'd but seriously some permavirgin materialistfags actually believe this kind of shit

> we judge others by the quality of their actions, but evaluate ourselves by the quality of our thoughts

Time to get moving, mofos

>and the state isn't
you don't really believe this.

you look for a thing to replace the thing you want to criticize because your rhetoric needs that, but incompetence is a global constant. improvement can't be sold to people because they've always been allowed faith that mere choice will serve for everything.

i guess we just stay updated

>i guess we just stay updated

the thread dies

>After having drawn my gun for the first time, I have finally come to terms with human evil

how come?

>if you are [insert state here] but comfortable, you will probably stay [insert same state here].
FTFY

>everything you think can be real

>Love is the grandest of all the spooks

Yet I still can't, and never would, live without it

>out walking about ~3 weeks ago after midnight
>minding my own business
>open carrying
>as I'm walking down the street, I hear somebody shout "WHAT THE FUCK YOU LOOKIN' AT!?!" from the other side of the ride
>I didn't even know he was there much less look at him but he starts acting confrontational and begins following me as I continue walking
>Ask him what he's doing
>"WHAT AM I DOING? I'M MINDING MY OWN FUCKING BUSINESS, WHAT ARE YOU DOING?"
>Crosses the street, arms flailed out to the side and continues to act erratic
>Tell him to back away from me
>"YOU GOT A FUCKING PROBLEM, ASSHOLE!?! YOU WANNA START SOME SHIT!?! YOU THINK I GIVE A FUCK!?!"
>At this point, I had seen enough and he had crossed the 20 foot threshold
>Draw my gun and tell him to back off
>He stops in his tracks but he's still shouting and acting eratic, like he's about to charge
>"YOU THINK I GIVE A FUCK YOU GOT A GUN?"
>Straighten my arms, lock my shoulders and drop into a weaver stance. Finally shout something back and him after trying to stay calm the whole duration
>"FUCK YOU, YOU CUNT! YOU BETTER BACK THE FUCK AWAY, RIGHT NOW!!!"
>He starts circling around me, still saying he does give a fuck and other none sense only now he's stopped shouting
>Keep my sights trained right on his neck the whole time
>After having circled a 180 around me, he stops at the wall at sits down
>Lower my gun, but I don't holster it. Slowly start stepping backwards with both eyes on him.
>Get about 300 feet worth of distance between me and him and turn a corner
>I was really far from home so I still had an hour walk to get back to my apartment
>Now that the killer instinct faded through my mind, a cacophony of thoughts was racing through my head
>So many worries about had the situation unfolded slightly different
>Wondering if anybody reported the incident to the police but I assume not as I made it home without encountering them

I hadn't a clue who the guy was nor what his problem was but I'm glad I didn't stick around to find out

since then, I haven't found human aggression quite as unsettling as I had in the past

I wish I had a gun, I'd like to believe most people are decent but there needs to be a way to put down rabid shitstains like the guy in your story, sadly I'm a UKfag.

he didn't even shoot the gun tho

So?

>he didn't even shoot the gun tho
user, have you ever pointed a loaded gun at somebody?

but you threatent someones life with a deadly weapon, you were clearly capable of physically using it

but the guy you were threatening saw you were too pussy to schoot it

it was a fight or flight situation

the gun did nothing but cause more havoc and makes the argument that; "guns give me a feeling of security" completely loses its value

>but you threatent someones life with a deadly weapon, you were clearly capable of physically using it
Yes, and?
>but the guy you were threatening saw you were too pussy to schoot it
School it? What the fuck are you talking about? I don't think you have any idea how somebody who is trained to handle a firearm (in a civilian environment) is expected to react in such a situation, in which case I did everything by the book
>it was a fight or flight situation
obviously
>the gun did nothing but cause more havoc and makes the argument that; "guns give me a feeling of security" completely loses its value
I did not make any attempt to posit such an argument in the first place and if you are looking for a debate here and now, I'm not giving you one so I suggest you don't waste your time

>he insulted me therefore ad hominem!
"no"

>foever
Well they must have been acquired somehow, yes? Even if the psychological conditions they arose in might be difficult to recreate, surely we can't say with certainty that an idea is lost *forever*?

>brain rewards itself for doing something evolution has informed it that it ought to do
>"lol might as well just pop a molly lmao"
This is why the west is dying

>and the state isn't

I seriously lost my shit

>People's behavior is determined by their personalities/psyches/brains. So why do people with a "mental disorder" get a free pass when they're acting just as much within their natural way of thinking as anyone else is? Take autism (I know it isn't a "mental disorder" but you get the point), they're not "broken", their brains just work in different ways and it shows in their cognition and behavior.

>I think people misunderstand Nihilism. Nietzsche described it as the period after the old values had been destroyed or were in the process of being destroyed, but before a "new order" could assert itself as the dominant new system. I think the reason we've seen such an increase in "radical" ideologies and new ways of thinking since about the beginning of the 18th century but coming to a head after the Great War, is that Nihilism has truly set in for many. Except for the people promoting the new ways of thinking: progressives, feminists, nazis, communists, anarchists, new-agers, islamists, mras, they're all driven to assert their ideology onto the world stage in the power vacuum of the old values. Which ever wins will dominate mankind for some time. We're in a major crossroads for our species, the next 50-100 years will determine our fate for centuries to come.

>human brains didn't evolve to live in the type of world people in the first world live in now. I don't agree with his methods, but I think the Unabomber was right about many things, I just don't think I have the commitment to break dependency on the conveniences of sedentary, industrial life.

>There has to be a way
>Guns are the only way your stupid mind can conceive to neutralise an aggressor
>That rabid shitstain could just as easily have had a gun

Now that we have the internet almost everyone on earth is feeding their demographic data and location and shopping and reading habits into it voluntarily. Imagine after a few hundred years of this mass data collection, combined with advances in computer technology, human beings will be able to model hugely complex events that before had to be described with pseudo-science and ideology (economics, psychology, etc.).

The political divide in the U.S., for instance, is nominally about how much of a role the government should have in regulating the economy. This is a quantifiable claim: each side says their position produces what should be measurable results (GDP, job growth, whatever), but once we actually have the data about these things we can settle stupid debates like that once and for all.

Alright serious question, does anyone actually devalue things using this kind of logic?
You know, you'll hear people say things like life is meaningless, there's no objective purpose to anything, morality and values are subjective and arbitrary, everything's a spook, love is only a chemical reaction, and so on, which is all true.

Does anyone seriously think, though, that because life has no objective meaning we shouldn't do anything? That because love is a chemical reaction, experiencing it isn't a wonderful thing?
It seems that people sometimes suggest things to that effect, but I swear that people must only do it to be edgy and try and shock people, because it just makes no sense. I suppose some people's motivation to go about their lives is dependent on it all being in service to some ultimate goal, but surely it doesn't need to be an "objective" one.

>muh happiness

>deviations defined by society are based on actual observable majorities

nietzsche smashes any and all "self-help" quotes to the place they belong, the facebook pages of depressed 13 year olds.

I believe human interaction is fundamentally built on conflict. When humans interact, it is ultimately an exercise of two will against one another, trying to see that they take from the other what they desire. Healthy relationships are built upon interactions where both parties are taking from the other something the other doesn't mind losing. Unhealthy relationships are built upon interactions where the exchange is lop-sided, either one party isn't managing to take what they want, or is having taken from them in a consistent fashion something they can't stand to lose in.

yes, the biggest lie ever sold is the myth of a total, final solution to a problem. life is struggle, strife, there is no closure, no ultimate solution, you deal with it and die. it becomes easier to face the hardness when you realize this.

OP, that's one of them things that's incredibly obvious yet rarely applied. There are two ways you can go about it, you can either seek out what you desire, or aim to stop desiring. Both require that you first figure out what you desire.

even though it's meaningless on anything larger than an individual scale, justice is worth fighting for.

>the concept of god/gods originated from the human need for a paternal figure in his life.. He will take care of us, he will save us, he will give us food.... Then rulers and others (jews) realized it's a very easy way to control the people, and has been used that way for the last 20 centuries, or more. Now that religious beliefs are slowly fading away, they are desperately trying to hold on to people, making god a more likeable being, generous and paternal., after being angry and violent throughout the years.

Not trying to sound too fedora, im not even against religion, i just think this is how it works. Also, now that it all went too far, there's no way to prove that god isnot real for sure.

Literally whats your concept of ad hominem?

>be criminal fag.
>passing a blunt around on the street corner.
>Most people mind their own business and I leave them alone. Its their town too after all.
>once in a while someone stares or makes a point trying to play neighborhood watch and you gotta tell them to fuck off or flash a heater.

Running after you like that was shitty behavior even for a thug. He was either a tryhard looking for a story about "totally fucked this guy who fucked with me up" or was on meth. Meth makes you paranoid and chiefly appeals to people who think the world revolves around them.

>Humans are incredibly selfish creatures, and no amount of altruism will fix humanity's selfishness.

did someone hurt you, user?

Working out and being physically active will seriously reduce if not outright cure any spell of depression I have had, with a complete cure success rate of about 90%.

I have to keep reminding myself though, because when I get into a depressed state I don't see the point in exercising.

Gonna be honest, I vacillate between this feeling and the feeling that a ton of us genuinely mean well, but we just can't fucking find a way to communicate with each other. Honestly, it's a little of both. I simultaneously hold an optimistic and a pessimistic view of humanity, and the cognitive dissonance is quite a ride.

The best parts are when you truly think a person is genuinely good, and means well, but you can point out exactly the ways they are being shitty and mean-spirited toward you, and it leads you to examine your own intentions, and you realize you're the same sack of contradictions.

God fuck us all.

>linguistic determinism

wew lad.

How about you learn another language. Oh wait, according to that logic you can't. No-one can.

babby just discovered drug addiction

it's instinctual. People in general can't help but fend for themselves or don't have the mental realization of other people's issues besides themselves.
It worked for me. I had a pretty big slump for 2-3 years. Started biking one hilly path about 2 miles every day for 3 months and lost about 50 lbs.

A study I read once claimed that the number one regret people having on their deathbeds are that they wished that didn't work as much as they did.

The person someone sees you as is just as real as the person you identify as. So many different versions of you exist, fulfilling different roles.

Obvious one, but there really will always be someone better than you.

People claim humans are somehow above animals and don't have as strong instincts. That's bullshit, we have instincts and they dominate what we do. We just don't call them that, we call them feelings.

Humans ought to be free. Authority is not self-justifying. Therefore, any structure of authority or dominance should be challenged to legitimize itself, and if it can't do that, it should be dismantled. (memed after chomsky)