Audi debuts tragically bad slogan: "Intelligence is the new rock n' roll"

This is a firm that won LeMans so many times it got boring. This is the firm the brought all wheel drive to the fore in rallying. This is one of Germany's oldest, finest car manufacturers.

Yet they go with a slogan that sounds like it should be plastered on a Kinkos made banner hung up at the gifted and talented students classroom in an under-performing rural school district.

Are they outsourcing their adverts to china now too?

You guys used to be cool.

Their identical looking shitbarges are pretty much in every popular movie too. Every luxobarge now looks like one too, even Americans are copying them.

The world should have ended in 1998.

>tfw Audi went to shit after dropping the legendary i5

What would consider a luxo barge? Their biggest sedan, the A7, is in my opinion fairly distinctive and has yet to be copied by any other manufacture AFAIK.

>rock and roll has truly lost all meaning
>it really fuckin hurts man

A8 is bigger and as generic as it gets. The A7 looks distinct, mainly because its trying its hardest to look like a coupe.

What's so wrong with this slogan?

Pls no bully, English is not my first language

>should be plastered on a Kinkos made banner hung up at the gifted and talented students classroom in an under-performing rural school district.
top lel

A8 is better for being "generic"

It's incredibly out of touch and fairly nonsensical. It sounds as if it was written by a bot, or a non-english speaker. There's no wit, it isn't memorable. "Rock n' Roll" isn't even the coolest genre of music in more (at least not in the minds of the feckless millennials they are trying to woo with this ad).

I doubt they're trying to woo millennials with this ad. Millennials are too busy paying off student loan debts playing super smash bros while vaping in their parents basements in between shifts at their minimum wage jobs. Take a look at people actually driving new A4s. 75-85% of them are middle aged women. Men buy the S4s and kids who can afford to buy them used to mod.

And don't think I'm knocking them, I'm an A4 owner myself. That's what led me to notice this. Honestly if you can manage to view this ad through the eyes of a 45 year old woman that spends most of her free time on her iPad swapping between Facebook and candy crush it probably sounds pretty cool.

>kids who can afford to buy them used to mod
Just realized I worded this weird. Meant it as in "kids who can afford to, buy them used for the purpose of modding them"

>I doubt they're trying to woo millennials with this ad.

That depends on which definition of millennials you use. It can get really broad, up to and including people in their early to mid thirties who would be the market for an entry level luxury car. That said, you have a point about the other demographic. However, if they are targeting 45 year old women, why the focus on performance, handling, wheel size, paddle shifters and so forth - things the vast majority of women (and most non car enthusiast men) neither understand nor care about.

I dunno, probably to keep up with BMW feature-wise and offer more option packages for people to blow their money on. It's not like those are all standard features afterall.

If they really cared about capturing the performance market they wouldn't have scrapped the manual transmission and glued a giant iPad to the dash.

45 year old women tend not to be obsessed about appearing intelligent

What do y'all think of the A5/S5?
Does it have any real competitors apart from the e-class coupe?

>A7
>Distinctive
>Has yet to be copied
>Mercedes CLS-class
>BMW 6-series Gran coupe

>Rover SD1
pretty sure the CLS arrived before the A7

I guess BMW's 4-series is in the same segment, but as is the case with most of Audi's cars the A5 and S5 are underpowered compared to their competition. Still though, I drive an S4 and I knew it wasn't as fast when I bought it, but I think Audi's selling point is that it's cheaper than an AMG or an ///M, and also retains most of the "luxury" features you wouldn't expect in a performance model.

>A5
>Passat with leather seats

nice uninformed opinion m8

fine, CC with leather

That was one of Germany oldest finest manufacturers until VW purchased them and now they're nothing more than rebadged VWs with a somewhat nicer interior with an upmarketed price tag that doesn't reflect on the mechanical qualities.

Just because most of Veeky Forums can't afford an Audi doesn't mean you can blindly cast aspersions.

Since the success of their all-wheel drive system set them apart from other German automakers, Audi has pursued a marketing style that favors engineering and technical superiority.

Audi

Literally rebadged VWs with different interiors.

Cars made from a parts bin, upmarketed to fools.

> superior

lel

u dun goofed m8

Found the guy who fell for internet memes

Found the idiot that overpaid for a VW.

Found the genius who pretends that I said that I bought an Audi.

It's literally just a econo shit box Volkswagen. Just let that shit go.

>Yet they go with a slogan that sounds like it should be plastered on a Kinkos made banner hung up at the gifted and talented students classroom in an under-performing rural school district.
You're over thinking this. Sounds like maybe you're hyperventilating too. Go breath in your lunch bag.

It can't get incorrect, not broad. There are no millennials in their 30s.

your right they should have drawn comparison to dub-step

the only audis that are vws with a different badge are the tt, a1, a3, and some (or all - i'm not terribly interested in suvs) of the q models

Is their angle "Look how intelligent I am, I drive an Audi"?

Based on the TV ads with the slogan, the angle is more "look at all these intelligent features." The idea being that it isn't enough for a car to be sexy or fast any longer ("Rock n' Roll"), it has to have a world class entertainment system and every nanny state driver aid know to god.

Is it look how intelligent the car is (thinking for the driver), or look how intelligent audi are for designing this car

>Is it look how intelligent the car is (thinking for the driver), or look how intelligent audi are for designing this car
The former, "look how intelligent the car is." Basically priming the pump for the self driving take over. There's also an undertone of "look how intelligent you are for buying a practical safe car!"

But the bullshit in the box doesn't harp on about how intelligent the cars features make it, just shit about alloys and steering wheel design etc.
This ad sucks dick

I don't know where you live, but the in the US the higher end TV channels (BBC America, Golf Channel, FX) have been spammed with ads for this car that focus on the thinking for the driver aspect above all else. The screenshotted ad is from the Audi homepage, and is just for the launch edition, which has features called out in the text box.

>This is one of Germany's oldest, finest car manufacturers.

Just let it go, mate. It became just an other soulless modern company, streamlined to milk as much money as possible, to please the shareholders.
German here, i even drive one. But i only bought it for the galvanized body (no rust for the vital parts). And also for the simplicity. Mine has no features, 2.0 na, manual. And i plan to keep it for a very long time.

I couldn't care less about audi, or any car company. They are all the same now in therms of fucking you over.
Stop being emotional towards corporations, there is only suffering from that.
Also, stop buying the vag shit pls. It makes zero sense when you don't live in the EU. Parts are expensive and quality is not better than some toyotas.

>Just let it go, mate. It became just an other soulless modern company, streamlined to milk as much money as possible, to please the shareholders.

I realize that, but from a marketing perspective, Audi could use that heritage to their advantage, just as they could use their motorsport victories.

Instead they use the most autistic sentence of 2016. That was my point.

Oh, yeah, i forgot to adress that in my coffe fueled rant.

Fully agreed about that slogan. It's like some marketing intern did in in the last 5 min before the deadline.

I guess they stopped caring about marketing as soon as vw took over. Now the new management said "profit maximization! minimize the costs!"

Fuck audi anyway. As soon as my a4 repairs will get too expensive, imma buying a small pickup like the nissan navara and mounting some kawaii ralley lights.
I'm sick and tired of modern car design. A cruder truck is just what i need right now to unrape my eyes.

oh okay i didn't have the context, i'm not american

B8.5 interior > B9 iterior and only avant, sedan only for amerifats.

The BMW 4 series is way better in terms of performance, driveability and fun
The A5 looks nice though

What's the point of Audi anyway?
They're somewhat more expensive than Seat, but look the same.

Audi is inferior to BMW and Mercedes for various reasons.

does any seat even have more than 4 cylinders?

> rock and roll well never die!
> until Audi kills it
rip in peace

>Basically priming the pump for the self driving take over

This desu

As long as they still make cars for drivers I don't care. It means old people won't kill me and handicapped people are more free to do what they what.

*drives fedora*

Just as autistic as your argument.

aren't Seat cheaper than vw?
and i think the new Seat models are nicer looking than audis

The toledo has a v5 and the alhambra and leon has a vr6

Same with Skodas. They're just aimed at different buyers.

The shame comes when Seat, underfunded, produces a faster Leon Cupra than a Golf GTI.

And even more ridiculous, is paying absurdly much more for a similar Audi when underneath, excluding the obvious interior differences, the cars are exactly the same.

Hence, yeah, VWs can still be considered a good choice, nicer interiors than a Seat, but an Audi, it's just plain retarded over a VW.

rock and roll is like 40 years old
i'm 19 and my generation doesn't listen to it, at all
and advertising cars to be "intelligent" isnt exactly a good selling point compared to "fast" or "luxurious"

lol, 19 and he thinks he knows how the world of marketing works...

>Intelligence is the new rock n' roll
awful

I mean SOMEONE ACTUALLY THOUGHT OF THIS AND APPROVED IT

idiots.

user, it's not 1998

Okay, sell me this Intelligent car of yours then.

>lets go into the dealership and check out these cars
>how about this car that's sexy, fast, fun, efficient, and luxurious
>drive away with the intelligent car
okay

You failed right in the first step of your logic.

Those cars aren't aimed at 19y olds.

Now close your tabs and leave. Go be stupid somewhere else.

>This is one of Germany's oldest, finest car manufacturers.

Audi happened in like 1970

This slogan works because people who can barely afford a4's like to be told they're smart, hip, and cool.

Seriously if you can't understand this then you're a fucking retard autistic bitch boy.

I think just most people like to be complimented and like to buy things that make them feel good about themselves. What do 'people who can barely afford A4s' have to do with any of it?