So me and my friend might try to start a food truck. At first it was just a joke really...

So me and my friend might try to start a food truck. At first it was just a joke really, but then he talked to his uncle who is actually a successful business man and is interested in investing in it. slowly its becoming a bigger and bigger possibility. So i was wondering if any anons have any tips, or anything to share on the topic of food trucks.

Other urls found in this thread:

fieldale.com/Pages/our_products.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

What is it about all these food trucks? Why do you think it will be a viable business ?

Well people are always going to need food, and location is very important for businesses that sell food. so being to change location with demand sounds very useful. and it would be convenient to be able to get food without having to travel very far from a place were some one works. I would not mind hearing some of the problems you feel it has to maybe help me see them and think about them. also they seem to be doing well in my area.

Sign up for a community college that has a Mintel subscription to get existing demographic info. Find the most hipster neighborhood in your city.

try getting permits from the local gov to sell food first, this includes location permits as you cant just roll it around anywhere. Check prices for equipment and goods and what time it would take to pay it off

do you know if permits tend to be a blanket area or if they usually just pertain to a specific spot?

fieldale.com/Pages/our_products.html

Same chicken supplier Panera Bread uses.

Don't go with the traditional taco stand. Lots of immigrants that come here and do it better.

Do a food truck of something outside the ordinary - find a cuisine that's good, can adjust well with your local's diet, and then learn to cook it like a fucking champ.

There is a lot that can go wrong in a culinary business, but there's a lot of easy money to be had.

People will pay $12 for a fucking .10 waffle (and be forming massive lines to do so) if you get into the right venues and be at the right places.

But make sure the food is good and unique.

this is actually something ive thought about quite a bit. My area is El Paso TX so ive been trying to think of something outside the norm, because being right on the border means theres already tons of that stuff available.

depends on the city. In geneva switzerland, its pretty much an exact spot you have to pay for. It is very competitive in the banking district where i work, with trucks only being able to buy a place 1 time a week.

Import kangaroo and barbecue that shit, best meat in the world

The food trucks in my city get around a lot because my city's large and a bit sprawled. basically density gives you more economy of scale so you're not sitting there for 8hrs watching your food spoil waiting for customers.

they seem to run about a 4 hr lunch and later a dinner session. never see them open over six hours. private events are common.

I've personally thought that just making a cheap breakfast sandwich on a commuter route and selling hot wings on late weekends would be enough.

What state are you in? I considered doing this in NJ a few years ago but the regulations were so strict it really wasn't worth it. The costs of renting a commercial kitchen to prep and store food alone was too high to be feasible.

food trucks can be insanely cost prohibitive. putting the same money down on a little retail spot is going to be much more effective.

im in TX

Location is EVERYTHING when it comes to food trucks. You need to personally know the general statutes and restrictions on food trucks in your municipality. I live in a booming college town, and starting a food truck here is a fucking nightmare, because they're money machines and the streets would be packed with them if the city council allowed it. If your location is a good place for a food truck, pray that the meme has only recently penetrated, because lot fees, permits, and taxes can be a massive bitch if your market's already saturated.

Beyond that, there's a whole slew of codes and regs pertaining to food trucks you'll need to know, and that slew is on top of the existing restaurant regulations.

If you can already cook something like a pro, you're off to a good start, but you'll need to get in touch with some investors/proprietors of food trucks in your area to get the skinny on getting started in the field, because shit is beyond cutthroat right now, and restaurants are already a risky venture to begin with.

Where to park
Online presence
Making Friends with other food trucks
Joining local food truck association (if you have one)
Quick niche food (But try to be the best around, not just your niche)
If you're in NYC, go to Jersey City (Avoid Romm, he's a cunt)
Festivals are either doom or boom (Entry fee, traveling if truck is old, nobody may be there but when it's perfect, its fucking lucrative)
Tip Jar (DON'T FUCK WITH YOUR EMPLOYEE'S TIP JAR, DO NOT MAKE IT CUTE. MAKE IT NOTICEABLE AND OBVIOUS WHAT IT IS)
Outsource some food from a marketable brand (Like Balthazar Bakery's Bread)

If you really want to exceed, make friends with the local health director if a small enough town and get them on your side. This one worked wonders for my ex-boss.

Also if you want a quick easy food, Gourmet meatball subs. The only thing is that it takes forever to make a huge load but profit margin is crazy.

Yeah fuck switzerland for business... So many legislations so many bullshit rules that will prevent you from even fucking breathing... This environment just can't benefit small entrepreneurs

Fuck off with the tip jar mate
If I'm paying $12 for a sandwich off of a food truck I'm not tipping a penny

Don't know shit about it user. But i suggest u ask uncle moneybags for advice and not just money.

Anywhere u go at all costs try and set up somewhere with electricity. And stuff a goot 110v ac in your rig. It's very expensive to idle your truck for days on end. Try and stick with quick and simple items. Depending where you go for example kids like cotton candy but drunk bikers want burgers and chili fries. So try and either find a happy medium or go for one or the other and mostly only target those places. Unless of course you dont jave anything booked and sonething cones up close.

Highly recomend contacting the county seats of your surrounding areas asking to be notified of any local events where venders are welcome. Hell, wven if not u maybe could set up a block away.

Make sure u got an llc and insurance and all your shit is in order so if u accidently give someone food pousoning or crash into someone u dont lose everything u own.

In any case gl user!

Buy a deisle also. Cannot stress this enough. Gas will fucking kill u on fuel. I dont care how much cheaper the initial cost. Buy a deisle.

Also, post progress in diy or here brp!

Also user. We used to fucking luv it. When i was truck driving the fucking roach coach would swing by some of the warehouses blasting mexican music and then park in front of everyone. Know, u need permission from the business owners. And most of these guys are trying to sleep so one pass by every 3 hours or so and then killing the music is the polite way to do it. Possibly get a cb and channel 18 and state your location every few hours.

Gl!

Nah user, i used to drive. Just fucking set up near a popular truckstop and youll be busy as fuck. Make sure u are just off the interstate on an exit that has the blue road signs that say food/fuel/lodging.

Collect that moneys

Do fuckin halal food dude. Lamb/chicken over rice is fucking delicious as fuck and people will pay 8 bucks for that shit.

A food truck here has lines throughout business hours and they pump out your order in like not even 5 minutes.

Fuck hipster shit, do it properly.

Good but cheap food, served quickly and hot. Kebabs are a fine example. Get a regular parking spot, get a top food hygiene rating, and start building a customer base.
The one I frequent nearby trades on being cheap, clean, and tasty. Always a queue of cars in the layby, even the police stop there to get food. It even weathered someone being stabbed over a dropped meal.

I would ask yourself if you really want to work in a small metal box in the summertime heat.

You can't skimp, at least at first. Have a special item that can possibly make you popular. Dont fuck it up. Create demand once your food is desired by coming to a certain location less while finding new customers somewhere less.

Test small run pop up restaurants first, before you make a large investment in equipment.

Just lease someplace with a kitchen for 4/8/12 weekends. to see if you can sustain.

This way you start it out as a cool experimental concept and get your marketing down. if the sales justify it you may want to pivot from there.

Drive out to where those losers are sitting in field training and sell to those guys 1-2 weeks into their field cycle. Bring cigarettes, they always run out and end up buying them at huge cuts. I was in Ft Bliss for a few years. That place is shit, el paso is nice though. Just make sure you find a way to sell to army teenagers. Those guys are ridiculous in how they spend their money on junkfood/ alcohol/ tobacco.