/sthg/ - Sonic the Hedgehog General

Welcome to Sonic the Hedgehog General. Let's talk about Sonic games, old and new, and the entire franchise including animation and comics. Share art, music, talk about new developments, discuss ROM hacks, speedrunning, etc.

/sthg/ - #518 - Runners is Dead Edition

>Link CompilationDrawfag/Writefag Idea WallsNews/DevelopmentsRecent Releases

Other urls found in this thread:

m.youtube.com/watch?v=jr-hgk1GVhU
board.sonicstadium.org/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

RIP

Should've put "Runners is Dead" in the news for old times' sake.

Best OTP

Why? what's so special in dash that makes it better than runners?

The simplicity of it, and no RNG bullshit when unlocking characters.

nothing really
i actually considered runners to be better

Dash doesn't require constant server access, I guess.

>no roulette wheel for characters, can just buy them
>events so you can get new characters for free
>better optimization
>updates didn't add an impossible obstacle
>less menu navigating (Runners was horrendous in this aspect)

In terms of gameplay, Dash is nothing special and the simple idea of Runners is better in that regard, but it was so poorly executed that the simple Temple Run clone beat it out in popularity and overall performance.

also that has been around for longer

Apparently someone over at Sonic Retro is working on their own server for Runners.

More hype time.

I wonder what the story is going to be.

>boss in each act
>THATS CRAZY
So I'm guessing they haven't played S3&K.

I'm kind of hoping it'll end up tying the loose ends that Episode 2 left behind, like maybe the roboticized Little Planet went back in time and now the classic gang has to fix it.

Kind of had the thought after noticing the GHZ mini-boss sports the modern Death Egg design, which was used for Ep 2 and Generations.

You think this is a dream come true for the Mania devs?

RIP Runners...you helped me waste a lot of hours.
I guess Pokemon Go will be my time waster now.

Why is the drop dash in Mania so great again?

Cause it's a natural evolution of the spin dash that still requires skill to use properly.

>runners doesn't work on old phone
>get new phone
>runners works now
>runners shuts down a few weeks later
>mfw

It's not. Just a random feature from romhacks that is unknown to casualfags.

Speedrunning. Go look up a TAS run of Sonic 2 or S3&K; an instant spindash after landing is the second most abused trick after scroll zips.

Retains speed/momentum. I could imagine it helping speedrunners a lot.

Mania better have an inspirational quote somewhere.

So instead of "boost to win" we have "dash to win". Great.

It was a glitch in the original games, but it never came up in a ROM hack. It's one of those "wow why didn't we think of that" moments.

What is Megamix?
What is Boom?

Oh shut up.

>implying boost to win was ever anything more than a meme

It's as much "dash to win" as the classic games after 1 were "spindash to win"

No, you can't spam it as easily

Ya did it champ

I don't recall it in either, unless I missed it.

Which would be kind of sad, since I played the shit out of both of those.

>Implying boost games are anything BUT boost to win

>implying you wouldn't run your meme-ass into a wall or pit if you even tried to boost2win

I don't think boobs are supposed to be that big

Anything is possible in the wonderful world of anime, user.

That's a boat, user.

Well if that's the case I hope they add a homing attack

>homing attack in classic sonic
get the fuck out

You mean a ship, what class/

but I want it to be like sonic 4 and sonic 4 is classic sonic. it's the only one me and my friends have beaten

>sonic 4 is classic sonic

>but I want it to be like sonic 4 and sonic 4 is classic sonic. it's the only one me and my friends have beaten
Leave and never return. Might as well have a giant banner on your post that says "I am underaged"

It's meant to be, user.

m.youtube.com/watch?v=jr-hgk1GVhU

Nice bait

but I'm 19

>sonic 4 is classic sonic
That is literally wrong. It was developed as a mobile game and someone at SEGAs marketing said to tack on the Sonic 4 label.

All these (you)s.

Then you're just retarded then

Missed opportunity for a buzz joke with Charmy.

how am I retarded for liking sonic 4?

what's bait?

Am I alone in thinking Manaphy looks like a Chao?

>how am I retarded for liking sonic 4?
Because it's an objectively awful game that does a piss poor job of being like the Classic games in terms of gameplay and level design and implying that any idea from it should be in Sonic Mania is highly indicative of awful taste
>What;s bait
Not only do you have shit taste, but you're also a massive newfag. For your sake, please stop posting and just lurk

it may be bad to you but my friends and I like it and if sega wants our money they should make mania closer to 4. the other classics are too hard.

>it may be bad to you but my friends and I like it and if sega wants our money they should make mania closer to 4. the other classics are too hard.
Then you and your friends and have shit taste and it's a good thing they aren't catering to your terrible tastes. Christ, what's next, you're gonna say that Shadow was a good game?

>the other classics are too hard.
Same age as you () and I've beaten 2, 3&K and CD, working on 1. You and your friends need to get your shit together.

What are your guys's favorite games? I like Sonic Heros myself.

Generations and CD

I've heard rumors that someone's in the process of making custom servers for Runners. So that's gonna be fun.

>the other classics are too hard.
Get out.

I think there is a way with the PC version of Heroes. I remember I did something to run it at a higher resolution, I think you had to hex edit something.

but we only play games when we're together. if it's not on pc or android I wouldn't be able to play. i hope they at least add an easy mode to mania

I found Dash to be really shallow. I think it was so successful because of when it came out and because it was the first game of its kind to come out for Sonic.

>but we only play games when we're together. if it's not on pc or android I wouldn't be able to play. i hope they at least add an easy mode to mania

Runners wasn't exactly the most polished of Sonic's mobile ventures.

>i hope they at least add an easy mode to mania
It seems you're stumbled in to the wrong community.
May I recommend board.sonicstadium.org/
It's much more suitable for you.

>FanFiction.png

What other cartoons do you guys watch besides Sonic? Or are we not supposed to talk about that here? Or am I the only one that watches cartoons?

Ok, why are you all taking the bait? It's not even subtle.

Slow hours, need to keep the thread alive

>bait

So you assume people like don't exist?

I like Sonic 4, but even I know it's just 2D Modern Sonic.

At least it's better than "hold right to win" like Sonic 1.

I almost feel sad for the game, it could've been so great.

>That Webm
>Trying to pass off a Romhack as the real thing
Come on user, at least put some actual bait on the hook

Nope, looks like a chao that came from the sea honestly.

So anyone know exactly how you perform the move?

No, I assume people who feel that way would word their opinion quite differently and less like bait.

Well you were told weeks in advance it was gonna happen user

From what I've heard, after you jump you press & hold the jump button again while in mid-air and when you hit the ground you activate it. It apparently disables when you have an elemental shield on.

I wasted so many goddamn red rings

Really? Looks pretty genuine to me

kek

Amy is in the way, I want that hammer

what's the chance of Sonic Mania still having the insta-shield in the game, at least as part of the debug mode

I want to hammer Amy

Eww. Why not give it its own button?

Would not have guessed that at all, makes sense on how it'd be disabled with elemental shields seeing as it could be the cause for confusion and glitches if it wasn't.

I highly doubt it's returning and while it'd be neat for it to come back I'm fine with it not since the new move looks fun & cool as hell.

We know for a fact that it's not in the main game at least.

It'd be nice if they brought it back as a new elemental shield. Always felt making it a basic move was a bit too gamebreaking, and the drop dash fits better with Sonic's normal playstyle.

Actually that makes me realize. Does this mean Tails and Knuckles can't do it? It's specifically a sonic ability? That's actually kinda nice. Give sonic a unique ability that ties into his speed.

Indeed