What is the best way to teach World History in high school? I'm teaching US History and AP US History...

What is the best way to teach World History in high school? I'm teaching US History and AP US History, which US history is my strongpoint, but I'm kind of being forced into teaching World History as well. Any Veeky Forumstory teachers here with resources?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=1v9WoIB_XQE&list=PLA50AB7N5S7f0KKWIQ-OIRlbuI40Ggao-
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

You need to find the most powerful member of the pack and hit them to assert dominance.

You teach world history in America?

Yeah most kids don't post attention to it though.

Don't be boring

>Don't be boring

My biggest fear. It's STEM-based magnet school where the kids who apply are undoubtedly more motivated than your typical high school. I'm worried just throwing on documentaries will be boring.

AP is easy, I make the kids do their assignments at home, with the reading and we review in class, then they watch a presentation I prepare via powerpoint that reinforces what they've read (not heavy on notes, very quick and political cartoons etc).

I'm just wondering how to put together something for World History now.

How smart is your class? If you're teaching a bunch of shucking and jiving pavement apes then you're not going to be able to do anything but if your kids are smart then start with the Greeks.

>world history is a class

How does that even work?

We used to call it Global Studies back in my day. There were just basically cliff-notes of various points in history.

But do they care about history? I'm guessing no. Don't drone on and speak in monotone. If you are passionate about it then the students will pick up on it

I found a pacing guide for my county. Pic related.

I kind of want to make these kids write, and educate them on note taking, and researching since STEM students tend to be shitty writers despite being great with analytical skills.

Be engaging and speak loudly to keep students from dozing off. I had a history teacher in middle school who switched to high school teaching and went through 3 years in his classes and he was excellent at keeping people involved. Even if they hold no interest in it you have to force them to listen to at least pass tests on basic knowledge. Be assertive and firm but you have to be quick to return to normal. There's always a few such as myself that will listen intently and actually sate a desire to learn. History is hard to find people interested in but conversing with them is always fun.

>History is hard to find people interested in but conversing with them is always fun.

Honestly, how much of that is because kids don't see the connection between history and contemporary time? It feels like we spend so much time learning about Greek mythology shit, which is cool and important, but wouldn't kids be better off learning about 20th century world history to make modern connections instead of ending the course at "WWII ends, LOL"?

I wish this course were split into two.

You could, provided you aren't Common Core reliant, totally fuck with their minds, and teach them history from an angle no one else has.

For instance, instead of making war or people/date centric, you could make it invention centric, and trace all the connections between them, ala James Burke:
youtube.com/watch?v=1v9WoIB_XQE&list=PLA50AB7N5S7f0KKWIQ-OIRlbuI40Ggao-

Which would keep them on their toes and provide them with a different perspective in the future...

Or, you could pick random posts from Veeky Forums, that seem reasonable, explain why they are horribly wrong, then have them do research to do the same for some other posts on Veeky Forums you select, and post their replies here. (Probably aid them more in research methods than learning history, but would be hilarious.) Granted, given that Veeky Forums is on the FBI's list of "known pedophilia websites", hilarious though this maybe, it may not be a good way to keep your job.

>WWII Begins
>Normandy Invasion
>Stalingrad
>Battle of the Bludge
>War ends

Always made me rage. Good thing we spent so much time on Mesopotamia and Chinese dynasties though, huh?

>print out various Veeky Forums posts
>pass them out to class
>have them critique why these posts are wrong

kek, definitely would get me fired. My district has an end-of-year exam that ultimately determines the grade and funding of the school, so I can't come too far out of left field, though I truly wish to teach kids post-WWII history.

Also was always confused with the timeline in the textbook. first half is nothing but western front and then jumps back in time to the eastern front right before the war ends.

Damn, I suppose that rules out blowing their minds with the James Burke approach too...

...Make them cosplay it?

(I got nuttin.)

A lot of teachers just separate

>here's the class
>here's the shit you need to know for the exams

And make peace with that.

In Murika, it tends to be a chronological overview of the history of western civilization, usually starting with the Greeks, with brief mentions of anything going on anywhere else in the world, and even then, usually only so much as it pertains to the west or the west is responsible for it.

Granted, most of the rest of the world's history isn't as thoroughly cataloged, since Europe invested so much in the printing press and all. (With the possible exception of China, with all its damned bureaucrats.)

Why not separate history between east and west?

we wuz kangs

do your best to avoid to many oversimplifications or outdated ideas,