In Catholicism, is it acceptable to choose someone as a Patron Saint...

In Catholicism, is it acceptable to choose someone as a Patron Saint, even if you aren't under their patronage "categories"?

For example, would it be acceptable to choose Joan of Arc as a patron saint, if you are neither French, nor a soldier?

Or St. Patrick, if you aren't Irish, Celtic, or Anglo?

Thanks in advance! :)

Other urls found in this thread:

catholic.org/news/hf/faith/story.php?id=51077
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Yes, all pagans are free to pray to all the pagan gods they want to.

Personally I like worshiping St Joan.

why do saints trigger proddies?

Because they believe Christ is the only medium between God and man, so if you pray it is directly to God.
They don't understand the concept of praying to saints to ask them to help with your request before God, and often misinterpret it as idol worship.

>misinterpret

Didn't you know, brother? Friends are a pagan idea. Much like colors and music.

so a war memorial is idol worship
do they want to destroy all statues and memorials?

Gee I wonder where they get that idea from, fucking heretics I mean come on.
>For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus;

Papists confirmed yet again to not give a single shit what scripture says
>For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus
1 Timothy 2:5

I don't pray to my friends

user do you think Catholics think the saints are gods? They're still praying to god, but they ask the saints to talk to God as well.
I think it is unnecessary but it's a mostly harmless tradition.
t. Liberal evangelical Protestant

Catholicism
Not even once

Thanks for quoting scripture that I referenced in my own post

Funny

The pagans of south Nigeria say the spirits have no "real" power and merely help you beseech God to answer prayers

So basically they're venerating lesser deities to get the attention of the greater deity.

>What is the Body of Christ

We are all called to be disciples and apostles; in a word, mediators; because we are all the Body of Christ, the one mediator.

>I don't pray to my friends

The Saints are friends of God.

You referenced it negatively

Patron saints are not biblical.

They are dead people, and cannot do a thing for you.

Praying to anyone other than God makes a mockery of the sacrifice of Jesus.

>paganism
>every town and bumfuck village has their own personal god or spirit they worship

>catholicism
>every town and bumfuck village has their own personal saint they pray too

It's literally just pagan belief systems in the modern day.

It's almost like Christianity has been influenced by pagan ideas :^)
Of course you already knew this didn't you?

>Liberal evangelical

how does this work?

Lmao no I didn't?
I'm a Protestant user

>Baal is a sun god
put of all the bullshit in that tract for some reason that stuck out

Paul was a notorious heretic, he also disrespected Papal authority at the Antioch incident. He is writhing in Hell where he belongs.

>my church is God

This is a retarded excuse. God is omniscient. You don't need other people to deliver the message.

He also knows what you are going to ask even before you ask. He knows everyone even before they are born.

He has also decided before hand from eternity what he will and won't grant you. You can't make him change his mind.

So there's that. Poor excuse for worshipping saints.

Then they aren't your real friends.

The *Body* of Christ, Christ himself is the Head.

... Admittedly, its one of those things that makes more metaphysical sense than common sense.

Basically I subscribe to evangelical ideas while rejecting other ones, I'm estranged from a church because while I like a lot of evangelical ideas I think the group as a whole is mired in ignorance
Tl;dr cognitive dissonance

user everyone knows that it's extra biblical. It's just a tradition.

It's contra biblical

This implies that it's heretical where I don't think that's the case.
Catholics aren't denying that Christ is the only medium but they are (unnecessarily) asking for extra help, and I think most who aren't just cultural Catholics understand that.

>For laying aside the commandment of God, ye hold the tradition of men, as the washing of pots and cups: and many other such like things ye do.
Wew.

Then that means you're unregenerate which implies unsaved

Again, I don't think it's laying aside anything, but I'm not catholic and I'm not super educated in how they defend it.

No, I don't think it does.

Please get saved
What verse?
That doesn't matter

Mark 7:8 KJV.

>my interpretation is the only interpretation that is correct

>not praying to the patron saint of your city or demos like a good Roman citizen

Saints are gods.
Christians believe in deification. Orthofags, at least.
I know orthofags are reading this. They won't let me lie.

>They are dead people, and cannot do a thing for you.
Wow, that's a million times more heretical than intercession.

>God is omniscient. You don't need other people to deliver the message.
Which is why proddies keep praying for everyone and asking others to pray for everyone.

OP here; this is fun and all, but I'm still kinda curious what the (catholic) answer to my question is...

Kek, depends on if you think they just wait in the grave for Jesus to come back and then ascend or if you think they immediately go to heaven

I believe the answer is that no, you shouldn't pray to random patron saints.

It's not deification/apotheosis, it's divinization/theosis, totally different :^)

Do you think there is a commandment to not wash pots and cups, or is Jesus condemning the pharisees for raising man-made tradition to level of Gods command?

The answer is to convert to Christianity

I know, totally different ;^)

But I don't any Catholics that raise intercession up to the level of gods command

They literally believe the decrees of Popes and ecumenical councils to be divinely inspired

Everyone see this post End of the debate.
/thread
Next.

papal infallibility is a different issue retard, and that only applies ex cathedra, even though I think it's incorrect.

They believe saints are mediators between God and man, the Bible says Christ is the only mediator between God and man
Which do you choose?

Is it not what that command condemns?

Okay but we were talking about intercession, not papal infallibility. I've said that I'm not a Catholic, stop proselytizing to your own kind faggot.
Plz stop, I'm not a Catholic

DUDE CATHOLICISM LMAO

One last question, do you think Catholics can be saved?

Do they believe that Jesus is the son of God and the savior of mankind?

Go back to /pol/.

Yes, but also that he won't save you if you sin.

Why does Veeky Forums hate catholics but love protestants and orthodox?

t. foot fetishist.

Who else does this? Absolutely degenerate.

Orthodox are heretics too, just less militantly anti-Christian

They literally profess it at every Mass with the Memorial Acclamation.

My favorite one is "Save us Savior of the World, for by Your Cross and Ressurection, you have set us Free."

Because they're retards.
I don't know anyone who isn't a cultural Catholic that doesn't believe in salvation by faith- faith is dead without works user. The problem with most Catholics is that hey misunderstand hat verse and believe that salvation is based entirely on works.

>t. Self-righteous prideful twat

What I wrote was a response to the guy asking if I felt Catholics were saved- my response was sarcastic.

Wow. So progressive. I have no idea why everyone seems disgusted at the thought of converting to Catholicism.

Pride comes before the fall.

>literally doing what Jesus did
Please stop posting /pol/, I know you guys hate him, but he's about as cucked as Jesus was, which if you're a Christian, is a show piety.

t. liberal atheists who don't give a shit anyway.

>I don't know anyone who isn't a cultural Catholic that doesn't believe in salvation by faith
Like the Pope?
catholic.org/news/hf/faith/story.php?id=51077
>The problem with most Catholics is that hey misunderstand hat verse and believe that salvation is based entirely on works.
Which is damnable heresy

I'm Protestant dude, Papa Francesco is probably most pious pope in a long time

You're a liberal and a spiritual cuckold, Francis is THE False Prophet

Again, you're bringing up problems that we weren't discussing. I was talking solely about intercession, and problems with the papal authority dont doom every Catholic. Stop being a cuck.

>dude, I'm a protestant
So is she. I mean not really. Enjoy hell. Both of you.

Top Kek have fun living in a dream land

Lmao Islam is Judaic fan fiction with Christian and Arab influences, stop

I hope Francis lives to 120 years just because it will be hard to find someone else who triggers alt-right morons every time he does or says anything at all.

Seriously. Francis has been a pretty good pope overall, there hasn't been one so concerned with the welfare of the poor in a while.

Ill pray you get saved

Fuck off you shitlib autists

Bruh I'm a Protestant, but I believe you're a false flag

Yeah... What does that have to do with liberal faggot I quoted and that Swedish dyke being fake Christians?

Lmao you're mad that there isn't an imperial pope for the first time in (I don't know how long?)
Francis is literally the best pope in ages.

It means she's a delusional faggot, but that was edited anyways.
Idc if she denies Jesus, the Anglican Church is pretty cucked.

t. libshit atheist.
You would think that, wouldn't you?

I'm not an atheist, and I've been defending Catholics (lmao)

>I'm a heretic
Color me surprised.

You're a heretic, just join your beloved roman devil church

>samefagging
I'm unhappy this thread was derailed so hard by a proddy fag

>
> (You)
>>samefagging
>I'm unhappy this thread was derailed so hard by a proddy fag
Check the post times, retard

Well I've been banned for literally no reason.

I picked St. George, even though none of his patronages have shit to do with me. I was already losing my interest in Catholicism by the time I finished my confirmation, but my family wanted me to so I went through with it anyway. I believe in it less and less every day, though, so when the time came to pick a saint I just chose the first one I remembered off the top of my head. When people asked me why I made up some bullshit, but really it was because he was a badass according to the legends.

???

(You) are a samefag. I've seen you (You) on every atheist, liberal, communist and pagan thread on Veeky Forums. It makes sense that (You) like Catholicism.