I'm a contractor

>I'm a contractor

Why the fuck do people say this? It means nothing other than you're being payed as if you were part of an outside company.

You could be contracted to suck dicks all day.

Why do people describe their work this way? I feel like it's intentionally vague.

Because if they supported large farm-usage vehicles they'd be protractors.

Because contracting is basically its own little world depending on what field you're in, and most contractors hop from job to job in the pursuit of profit.

Also because it sounds really cool.

in the US I think it generally means someone that builds and repairs buildings.

if they do some other type of contracting they'll usually stick that part in there somewhere.

>I'm a contract hit man
>I'm a sex therapy contractor
>I'm a underdesk contractor

Because... they're a contractor.

I'm a contractor. I tell people that I'm a contractor. Because that's what I am... a contractor.

Are you feeling ok?

A contractor is some guy whose boss tells him to fix shit for another company

Fucking magic

Its just a way to get around saying you work for someone.

Legit, anybody who signs a contract for employment is technically a contractor.

A US soldier can be seen as a military contractor.

A teacher can be seen as an education contractor

A factory worker can be seen as a labor contractor.

Its just creativity with words. Threr really is no difference in saying youre contracted and employed

Now if someone says theyre a contractor and they dont work under a contract, they might just be trying to get around some insecurity with their career or something

I'm a contractor.

It just means you are a business owner, self employed, and you offer a particular service to homeowners on a contract by contract basis.

Also:

> im a consultant

it means, under US law, you are not an employee and some employer obligations do not apply to you

usually stuff like overtime, employee benefits ie medical/IRA, liabilities etc

I was a consultant aka contractor for JPMorgan working on some compliance projects and JPMorgan paid a recruiter agency to pay me money. JPMorgan owed me nothing basically other then the hourly pay I signed up for

You have no idea what you're talking about.
A contractor is a goods or service provider who operates under temporary contracts instead of being employed directly and permanently.

If you hire me to fix your roof, you're not my employer, you're just a client. We have a temporary contract specifically for the agreed upon works at the quoted price and that's it.
If Lockheed Martin is engaged by the US air force to develop a new jet, they have a contract specifically for that work and that work only under the agreed terms and budget. Lockheed isn't suddenly owned and operated by the federal government.

Contractor is just a very generalized way or saying a service provider without specifying what service.

>and you offer a particular service to homeowners
fuck that.
homeowners are broke perfectionists that love to sue.

I offer a suite of services to corporations and governments. The general public may go fuck themselves.

I hate these people

>get handed over a tender as a contractor
>complete your contract duties
>consult the customer after the end of works
>neets on Veeky Forums complain about you

can't hear your cries over my monies bitches

is it because contractors and consultants are travelling all the time?

>what do you do for work?
I'm a consultant
>where is your office?
well, I was in Baltimore all last week it sucked but starting Monday I'm in Chicago

>We have a temporary contract specifically for the agreed upon works at the quoted price and that's it.

you literally described every single employment contract. good job proving him right, though

Faggots wanna sound important.

I tell people "i manage 2 rock quarries."

When in reality, i sit in this little cuckshack and load dumptrucks when they come in all by myself. Every few months i go check on the other quarry but it never jas anything going on. People load themselves. I set up a game cam to catch theives.

>drive for Uber
Yeah, I'm a contractor, no big deal....

>work for gov't as a construction worker
Yeah, I'm a contractor, no big deal...

>hired freelance as a virtual call center bitch
Yeah, I'm a contractor, no big deal...

Do you actually think that there is no differences between employees and contractors?

Since I am a contractor on the side, I will answer in a non-inflammatory way.

When I say I'm a contractor, the connotation I'm looking to get across is that I get hired temporarily for a specific job by a company or by a private person. There is no specific wage, but I can price every project as I see fit.

So, instead of doing constant work for 50k a year, I can do inconsistent work for 20k a project, sometimes more. It generally means you make more money than if you were employed by a company, but it lacks a safety net. If no one contracts you to work, you make nothing. No insurance or salary to make sure you are okay.

It's a gamble for greater profits. If you are priced reasonably and provide a good enough service, you can generally do well.

>It generally means you make more money than if you were employed by a company
very broad and vague statement. Maybe it does in your specific industry, but definitely not "generally"

Not true. You are thinking of a contract hire, not a contractor. A contractor is someone who makes contracts and links workers with jobs. Company needs extra IT people to overhaul their system, they call a contractor, the contractor signs a contract to have two of his workers go to x company for y amount of money. Generally it's more expensive than paying one person, because you don't have to go through the process of posting a job listing and hiring. You know that person can do the job. That worker still works for the contractor however.

Often, people will contract themselves out, then they are the contractor and contract hire. They still aren't actually hired by the company, they are contractually hired to complete some job.

>Maybe it does in your specific industry, but definitely not "generally"
he's right, it generally pays a lot more on a per hour or per diem basis.

it's cheaper for the company because they can't hire employees for a small or one-time job.

For example I'm a janitorial contractor. I charge $125/hour on average. Obviously that's a lot more than an employee janitor charges. But I tend to work on small jobs where an employee isn't feasible. Say a small bank building where they don't want to deal with the hassle of employee janitors that take three times longer than I do to work, aren't trustworthy, constantly change, and require supervision. More importantly if their employee gets sick or goes on vacation they need a second one on hand which gets expensive.

so their two part time employees cost close to what I do even though I make ten times more per hour. The main efficiency that allows this is I don't fuck around on the clock, that's MY time. Also I don't steal or take days off for no reason. If I do get sick or go on vacation I've got people hired to cover me. The work will get done whether I do it or not. That costs money.

>definitely not "generally"
also you'd have to ask yourself what the benefit of being self-employed would be if it pays less than employment. It's a pretty big hassle and it's not very secure, so why would anyone do it if it pays less?

the short answer is nobody goes into business to make less than an employee does.

the average contractor in the US works part time and makes over $100k per year.