I fear we will see a ban on human driven cars in our lifetimes

Elon Musk and the dude in charge of self driving research at google have both said they look forward to a future where self driving cars are not only the norm, but mandatory. Go to any reddit thread about self driving cars and you'll see many users calling for the same, comparing human driven cars to guns - in that they should be kept on the track just as firearms are kept on the range.

Polling indicates that millennials overwhelmingly view driving as a chore that they would prefer to be automated.

Sports and muscle cars will be the first target as they appear more dangerous and can be loud and inefficient. They will be demonized as toys for the rich. I expect age based displacement limits (already in place in Australia) and possibly outright bans on high performance street cars.

I have no problem with self driving vehicles. People that don't want to drive but are forced to are more likely to distract themselves with phones and so forth. However, once they become common, Musk and the other firms pioneering the tech will push to make them mandatory with few exceptions (for rural areas/off-road/financial hardship).

Other urls found in this thread:

m.youtube.com/watch?v=ixIoDYVfKA0
breitbart.com/big-government/2016/05/04/hillary-clinton-plans-executive-action-to-exceed-obama-on-gun-control/
cnet.com/news/car-hacking-code-released-at-defcon/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Ugh, liberals are so annoying. They always find a way to ruin everything.

I want to be the one in a classic muscle car blazing down the highway letting the self driving cars swerv out of my way with their automatic accident avoidance

This is why I am not jumping on the Tesla bandwagon. Not because I don't think EVs are cool as fuck but it's because Elon and Co. want to mandate self driving cars. It will either become flat out illegal to drive yourself or they'll make insurance too expensive because they'll argue that humans cause crashes, not self driving computers. It will start with the Model 3 and everyone will think it's the greatest thing evar. RIP Veeky Forums

>Donald Trump becomes President
>Google's lobbying cant work anymore

Unfortunately, if the laws against doing that are anything like the laws against "street racing" you'll probably have your car crushed once the cops catch you.

That will be the other insidious element of it - as "manual" cars become more rare, car enthusiasts will turn against people that want to drive them on the street, because of the risks, and begin advocating for track use only. Look at the way much of gun community balked at the open carry movement for an example of the kind of infighting we can expect.

When the anti-car politicians begin proposing outright bans on internal combustion engines, "moderates" within the car community will counter-offer with a ban on streetable ICEs and "manual" cars, in exchange for the continued legality of ICE track cars.

Cant drive V8 or turbo or anything with any engine mod until in 20 in nonfreestralia.

I can drive a 210kw v6 but an old 170kw V8 is dangerous and would make me into an evil hoon says mr gubbment

Also until im 18 i cant drive from 12am to 5am and i cant have more than 1 passenger

How the fuck did Australia, a country with so much empty space in which to hoon without endangering others, end up with these laws?

I know they exist, as indicated in the OP, but I don't know exactly why.

Nah that's bullshit, the regulatory power of most transportation boards only extends to public roads, and emissions from racing are completely insignificant on a national scale. ICE track cars will exist as long as they're feasible.

I cant see it happening here in NZ anytime soon but I still fear that it happening somewhere like the USA could set a precedent for the rest of the world.

move to africa

This video sheds some good light on why self driving cars will most likely not happen any time in the near future. m.youtube.com/watch?v=ixIoDYVfKA0 Its the same thing how A .I. will never take over. How do you build a brain when we dont even fully understand how brains work.

more like

>donald trump becomes president
>google pays trump directly and gets whatever they want

Hooning in empty areas still endangers people according to the gubbment

> age based displacement limits (already in place in Australia)
What?

See
Also look up australia p plate laws

P plate laws are determined by power to weight, idiot
And some states have zero restrictions
Get your facts right

See Seems you need to look up the laws

Yeah not in South Nonfreestralia.
Inly vehicles made after 2010 its a 130kw/ton

Look up SA p plate laws m8

No one cares about cucktoria and south straya

all we want to do is shred tyres in the I dustrial estates at night, no harm

>comparing cars to guns
So automatics should be banned? :^)

Good thing not everyone are millenials, and good thing grandfather laws exist

Every outright ban on anything starts with grandfather clauses and eventually, the older, car friendly generations will die off.

You are right for the present moment, but within the next 25-50 years, conditions will be right for such a ban, sadly.

I don't want to be alive when that happens

>How the fuck did Australia
Plain and simple, they never told Brittan to fuck off.

The British love completely unreasonable and oppressive laws. They love being treated like absolute children. They love being told how to behave by their betters.

It is fucking disgusting.

>qld
>forced induction banned
>literally a 1.3l diesel shit box is too fun to drive

you also can't post on this website until you're 18 you fuckboy
move out of SA, shittest state

This. Despite all the shit I give the burgers, they had the right idea when they revolted.

Wait, is it banned across the board or just for young drivers?

P plates.
so like for the first three years from Ls to p1, p2 class. not even allowed to drive them to learn. even if its a weak little econobox. also, curfews at night. cant drive after 10pm

Queensland has a power to weight limit, s13 turbo and r32 gtst are exempt for example
Can drive anything on your l plates
can drive after 10pm just not with a car full of your yobbo fuck head Mates

Go away underage shit head

I just turned 18 its my birthday fuck you

>be me, American from Kansas
>learned to drive in a V8 truck
>Dailying a 260 HP G35 Coupe at 18
>no curfews
>no speed cameras
>no vehicle inspections
>no driver's test if your parents sign an affidavit that you practiced with them for 50 hours (everybody lies)

>speed limits are low to make the roads safe when they're inhabited by morons

Define low. I routinely cruise at 80 to 90 mph on rural highways, and most roads in town are 45 mph which is respectable.

>i cruise
And what do you get pulled over for?

Most of those roads are 55 to 65 mph but devoid of cops because my state is virtually bankrupt.

The actual interstates are 70 to 75 with reasonable (as in cops won't give a shit) crushing at 80.

U wot m8? You can do all that shit when you're on your full license depending on your state. Age has nothing to do with it unless you live in a cuck state.

Not using your blinker and not wearing a seat belt usually.

Please tell me how the gubberment is gonna take away our guns too

It'll never happen, you'll find governments get extremely unpopular if they start saying "You know that 10,000-1,000,000 thing you own? Yeah you can't use that anymore, you have to buy a new one that is a minimum of $40,000"

They would be one way to start the second american revolution. Model Ts, and any car older than the 50s should be banned from driving on the roads because of the safety issues, but they're not because telling people something they've owned for their entire lives is suddenly illegal to use never goes over well.

breitbart.com/big-government/2016/05/04/hillary-clinton-plans-executive-action-to-exceed-obama-on-gun-control/

>Model Ts, and any car older than the 50s should be banned from driving on the roads because of the safety issues,
You are an absolute faggot

I will have the last laugh as i fly by all the electard autofuckmywifetyrone shitboxes doing 150 in my 911 with a 20 gallon fuel cell.
Maximum keks as the police try to keep u but run out of charge afyer doing 120 for 1 minute and the copters are nowhere to be seen because muh pollutants.

The future is dim my friends but the 4 smoke cumbusting will prevail.

I am saying this based on the same retarded idea OP was mentioning, where unsafe cars should be banned sperglord

Stop being a cunt, cunt.
Give me your lunch money.

Holy shit I'm a massive Rush nerd and I had no idea this was a thing.

Geddy Lee looks like a kike/vulture

YOU CAN TAKE LIZZIE FROM MY COLD, DEAD HANDS

Seriously though faggot, all my dream cars are over 50 years old. Fuck you.

>I'm a massive Rush nerd
doubt.png

I have doubts that the government will ever need to intervene. My guess is that insurance carriers will force manually-driven vehicles completely off the road for everyone but a handful of rich people.

And that is why the entire fucking premise is retarded. Learners can get in a Ferrari and power slide cause they're brand new, but a guy who has a few years experience can't?

Laughable.

The fact there's not even driver competency tests for good drivers to progress faster is also pathetic.

>Trump being bought

>Trump not being bought.

He's rich enough to bypass that shit

The rich can't be bought? Good one, user, good one.

>Model Ts, and any car older than the 50s should be banned from driving on the roads because of the safety issues

This kind of thinking is exactly how they will do it. Take little by little. Ostracize or demonize the group that uses the thing that's up for a ban, the whole will probably compromise. (That's ok if we get old cars off the roads, they're only driven by grandpas or people stuck in the old days) 10-30 years will pass and another thing will come up for banning, and repeat.

Real life example: "You don't need an AR-15 to hunt deer" Less than 100 years ago you could have a full auto gun shipped to your door, but now you need to go through an authorized dealer to purchase government approved guns and they're always trying to limit those. You'd better believe they can ban certain cars.

Thats easy to get around. If the speed limit is 55, all cars will go exactly 55 and space themselves out in front and to the sides so in the case of an emergency, there is always an escape route. If box falls off of truck, the car has been following so far back it will have time to stop. If not, there is no other car to the side so it can swerve into that open spot. Most accidents happen because of differences in speed or people following too close or are sitting in someone's blind spot. Take all those variables out and the ethical dilemma presented in the video goes away.

How come Britain has none of these restrictive automotive laws then?

Because they're slaves. Same reason why guns have been heavily restricted. Australians simply like having their lives controlled by someone else.

>Ostracize or demonize the group that uses the thing that's up for a ban, the whole will probably compromise. (That's ok if we get old cars off the roads, they're only driven by grandpas or people stuck in the old days)
I've experienced this sort of thing firsthand. I remember having a congressman come to my school so we could ask him questions about passing laws, politics, et cetera. When someone asked how he felt about self-driving cars, he said that it he was all for them, stating that drunk drivers and the like cause too many fatalities. I followed up that question by asking him if I would be able to keep driving my own car if self-driving ones started appearing on the road. He responded with something along the lines of: "Oh, I see people around my neighborhood riding horses from time to time. I'm sure there'll always be people like you around." I'm fairly certain "people like you" was a euphemism for "Stupid Fucking Luddite" when he said that.

Politicians are such pieces of shit. But what sucks is most of the population has the "out with the old, in with the new" mentality that it's not hard to push aside the guy that disagrees with "progressive" ideals.

/k/ here, you better start a National Car Association now.

>implying google doesnt already have everything of yours
>implying the government doesnt have its slimy tentacles in google
>its all fucked
>get out while you still can

Pretty soon the car analogy won't be a hypothetical argument anymore. People will literally cry for the banning of dangerous high powered cars.

>Common sense car laws!
>You don't need an eight cylinder engine! You only need 4!
>Ban 4 wheeled drive
>Convertibles kill childruns

>Nothing needs over 200 horsepower!
>Rear wheel drive? That's DANGEROUS and encourages hooning!

>>Ban 4 wheeled drive
More like make it mandatory, since it's safer. RWD is for dangerous hoons.

I want to bully self driving cars on the road.
>boxing them in so they panic
>slowly drifting into their lane so they're forced to move
>braking and then speeding up repeatedly in front of them

>implying your car will be allowed on the same roads that self-driving cars are
It'll never work unless roads are self-driving cars only

They're not going to repave the entire country, it's impossible.

All they have to do is designate self-driving car-only lanes and maƱuel car-only lanes. They'll probably make manual car lanes inconvenient (think getting 1 lane out of 5 on a busy freeway) and eventually eliminate them. Then, when highways become self-driving cars only, it'll be a lot more difficult to justify owning a car.

>Implying liberals will care about little things like facts

They'll never be able to do this because all of the politicians (even dems) and their lobbyist friends drive high powered luxury inline sixes and v8s.

"it's safer, i can accelerate out of the way in case a distracted driver is about to hit me, braking doesnt' always work"
"a smoother ride improves driver concentration"
"yeah you can be a dangerous street racer in a family sedan too, it's driving behaviour not just speed and power, leave my caddy alone"
"i guess you want to ban walking fast too, huh hillary?"

It's not like scary looking rifles. Politicians their friends rarely own those, so they're fair game.

I fear it too user, it scares the shit out of me. I'm absolutely disgusted by most of the "people" in my generation. A lot of them are a bunch of anti gun non car owning libtards who would love to have their smartphone implanted up their ass if it were possible. One of them actually said they'd love for all cars to be self driving so they wouldn't and I quote, "have to concentrate so hard on driving." It took all of my strength to keep from sperging the fuck out. And once the insurance companies see the benefit if self driving cars, then were well and truly fucked

>TL/DR
FUCKING NORMIES REEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Do politicians own scary sports cars though? Big, smooth luxury sedans with a big engine I can see, but sports cars?

They're also mostly over forty. If a ban on high performance cars comes it will start with age based restrictions. "We aren't taking your right to own a muscle car, user, we're just keeping you safe until you are ready for the responsibility, just like voting and firearms!"

>tfw politicians will turn us all into what boomers are today

Do you really think they'd be able to get away with banning "aggressive body styling" when everyone who drives already knows that civics with spoilers are just civics and when it's normally done for aerodynamics and fuel efficiency, unlike pistol grips, which are added for improved handling in combat?

Car laws are based on functionality. It's harder to pull the wool down on a subject a large amount of voters are already familiar with. So, functionality they restrict. The worst america will see is aussie-style limits on "excessively" powerful cars, or maybe some finer shit like how far you have to push the throttle in to get a certain response and banning "performance" (low) gear ratios for cars not clearly made for hauling.

Age restrictions on non front-engined or RWD cars, maybe.

They'll keep theirs just like they can keep the weapons they want (or have people guarding them who do). Imagine a future where you need to pay huge fees and provide a reason why you should own a sports car .

>Imagine a future where you need to pay huge fees and provide a reason why you should own a sports car .
>my fucking face when

I don't even own a drive licens yet and they already plan to take it away.what a sad world

That's today.

If you modify a typical car for performance without committing fraud (not reporting it in detail), your insurance rates go through the roof, even if your modifications are done for safety/fuel efficiency (putting a newer engine in an older car). Yes, even if you have the world's most respected mechanic do it and somehow ensure that the monetary value of the car remains roughly the same.

If you buy a performance car, you insurance rates go through the roof and you pay an immense amount of money in the first place.

If you drive a performance car, the cops watch you like a hawk and pull you over for things that people in corollas would get away with.

Who needs a law when society is already set up to make your life hell?

>improved handling in combat

all the bullshit about AR15s being "assualt weapons" is based entirely on looks. You can fire off 30 rounds just as quickly and accurately with a traditional stock as with a pistol grip. ARs look scary because the movies make them look scary. They are no different than any farmer john wooden stocked .223 rifle in killing things dead other than how they look. Don't believe me? Ask any normie which car is faster, thusly more dangerous, a red riced out Civic hatch with giant tach or the same fucking car but painted white and 100% stock.

Behaving like this will only prove them right. "See? People can't be trusted to drive themselves, they're all over the road!"

Oh look another thread full of the autistic much freedoms ffggots who think the big evil liberal gubberment is gonna take their shit box mustang

"Ban assault cars!"

It's happening already to truckers in Kalifornia. If a truck is of a certain age, the owner has to put on some retarded $30,000 particulate filter that of course makes fuel economy go down. If the truck can't be fitted with a filter, then fuck you, you have to buy a new truck.

If it's something they want to do, they'll spin it every which way to get it done and have the sheeple fucking thank them for making the world a safer place.

they don't have to. they'll add a 1000% tax to ammo to "pay for gun safety programs"

reload yourself? 1000% tax on reloading supplies too.

they're not going to take the shitbox. they just won't let you drive it anymore because compared to a self driving car, you're a menace to society. let that sink in a for a second.

Sorry, I don't absorb bullshit. Get the fuck out of here with your autistic fantasies and go hyperventilate yourself to sleep

you get the fuck out. this thread is about government over reach and cars. you obviously don't believe it, so fucking leave. no one asked you to be here.

they dun gonna take our chebby bubba!!

The government for the past 60 years has already stepped in and forced manufacturers to make cars safer, like collapsable steering columns so you don't get impaled when you crash, or 3 point seat belts so you don't smash your stupid face into the steering wheel / dashboard and break your stupid neck. Airbags have also become a standard so you don't break your stupid face in a collision.

The gubmint hasn't banned cars with solid steering columns, lap belts only, or no airbag cars from the road. Fuck man, you can still drive a car with drum brakes all around, The government(states) doesn't give a single fuck about the age of the car on the road, or it's safety. They just want their money from registration fees and shit.

That being said, I can't wait for self driving cars to become more prevalent and for some black hat hacker to come along and completely fuck them over. No security system is undefeatable. No computer is infallible. I'd like to see the look on elon musks face when some dude in his moms basement just disabled 50,000 of his vehicles from clicking and clacking away at his computer.

Don't believe me? Back in 2013 some people already proved it(google defcon 2013 onstar) by remotely controlling onstar equipped vehicles via a hack. They were able to control the throttle as well as apply left and right side brakes independently to effectively steer the car at highway speeds. Imagine what they could do if the steering was completely automated and computer controlled?

Self driving cars are a very, very long way away from replacing human driven cars. I really don't think it's going to happen in our life time.

>elon musk
>google car
>reddit
>millenials
>OP

I don't care about the opinions of retards and faggots.

It's scary that cars can be hacked. That's how Michael Hastings was killed.

I realize this is an old thread now. I just got home from work and left it on auto update and saw all these new replies. oh well. fuck it.

"Prerecorded video demos of the hacks showed Miller and Valasek disabling the car's brakes, jerking the steering wheel back and forth while the car was in motion, accelerating, taking full control of the steering wheel, yanking the seat belt tight, turning off the engine, turning interior and exterior lights on and off, honking the horn, and making the console show a full tank of gas when it wasn't."

"Zoz spent his talk in the next hour on the future of automation. Self-driving cars, he told, are essentially robots and will be particularly susceptible to the same kinds of hacks as less complicated robots."

cnet.com/news/car-hacking-code-released-at-defcon/

also:

"Ford and Toyota have both said that their focus is on preventing wireless hacks, but wireless technology is hardly a bastion of security"

No security system is undefeatable. No computer is infallible.