How many years did it take for you to get sick of driving a manual and switch to auto?

How many years did it take for you to get sick of driving a manual and switch to auto?

Never did. Filthy casual.

Enjoy your carpal tunnel faggot

It took me 2 years to get sick of driving auto and switch to manual.
Enjoy the significantly shorter lifespan of your transmission and your numb driving experience faggot.

I don't have a car, but my wifes boyfriends son usually drives stick

Had manual for 6 years, been on auto for two since that. Converting it to mnaual now.

>he thinks there is any meaningful wrist movement in driving stick let alone enough to give carpel tunnel
Go back to selecting your boyfriend's d for maximum respect faggot

I hate my auto, its fucking stupid. Getting manual conversion this uear.

>1996 volvo 850 automatic
>original transmission
>230,000miles

meanwhile a dumbass can burn a clutch in one afternoon of bad driving

Doing it yourself? Which car?

Is it still smooth in every gear?

Clutches are cheap.

Two can play at the anecdotes game.
>2001 Honda Odyssey
>250,000 miles
>has needed a transmission every 100k miles

Two years. Sometimes I'm mad when it takes too long to shift or can't find the right gear instantly, but I the comfort balances everything out.

Autos were comfy for the city before we got robotic ones.
>Previous auto
Smooth
Sluggish but there
Dumb but simple
>Today's auto
Software doesn't know which gear to pick and stay there instead of jumping all over the place being annoying as fuck.
Instead of dropping to 2, or 1, during a steep climb you have to tiptronic your way to the gear but it's not immediate because the software has to make a few checks before deciding to actually shift.

I mean, I've driven new BMWs, Audis, Benz, etc. and they have alright autos in the most situations, but if you go with standard sedans like VWs or whatever (not counting DSG like trans obviously) they are terrible in my opinion.

Only problem with manuals imo is that they get in the way when getting a road blowjob or fingerbanging the girl.

That last line was painful.

22 years of manual only. Many hundreds of thousands of miles.

Hate it when I get stuck with an auto as a rental. Everything about them is wrong and annoys the shit out of me.

It's not like there's a difference if you are sitting in 5/6th gear on the highway 99% of the time. I changed to auto when I changed jobs, because now I drive in low speed streets with lots of lights, it's just annoying. Call me a fag if you want, I don't care.

Fag

Enjoy your carpal tunnel faggot

I've only ever driven one auto car in my life. It was my friends dads v6 convertible camaro. It drove like shit. It would hold me at like 1500 rpm in traffic and then when I wanted to accelerate it would take like 15 seconds to downshift. I dont understand why slmebody would want an auto sports car. Its supposed to be fun to drive.
I've driven 4 manual cars in my life though, and they all felt faster, even when having half the horsepower.

A lot of people say that if you view driving as a chore, to get an auto. For me it's the opposite. The camaro just felt like a numb economy car that sucked all the fun out of driving it. I couldn't feel how it responded.
Also if you think shifting gears is the same as using flappy paddles, you've never driven a manual. The clutch allows for a lot more control, and above everything else, I'd just more fun.

never because i am not a cuck

about 20 years as a delivery driver

we just drive whats provided and everything is automatic now

in bumper to bumper stop start traffic all day every day you get tired of manual trans

>drive notoriously shitty Ford A4LD to 180,000 miles without issue
>Subaru already needs a new clutch at 70,000 miles

Sounds like your slipping it user.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Learn to drive stick better I guess user

My commute to work is suface streets. Not highway. And I've driven 95 corridor, Beltway around DC many many times and sat bumper to bumper.

It's not a problem. It does not bother me. In an auto, I get twitchy... and then bored. Everyone is different, us manual people are just extra sensitive since all our toys are disappearing. When I no longer can get a manual, I'll just suck it up and go full electric with no trans at all.

The clutch problem is a user error.

>in bumper to bumper stop start traffic all day every day you get tired of manual trans
Partially let go of clutch, car moves forward, why would I get tired of manual?

3 years

Pretty much when I realized that street-racing was stupid and that just because a car is a manual doesn't mean it's built for performance or driving enjoyment.

12 days

bus rider detected
when you let go of clutch, car stalls

THIS ... good old hydraulic autos where reliable and indestructible ... sure, mpg was shit and they only had 3 gears + overdrive (as an option) but they where smooth and simple as fuck.

This tbqhfamicom

It's true though. On the plus side girls have been way more anxious to get my dick out since I started driving manual and it wasn't like any if then ever successfully got me off before that anyway.

Are you being facetious

>partially

RIP clutch.

I just swapped from a manual car to an auto. Before buying an auto I was against it, now I don't really care although I'd pick a manual over an auto.

I love my manual

When I upshift I always say "go clutch go" and when I downshift I say "wooah, clutchy"

>he drives a shitbox with no torque
lmaoing @ your life

I'd sooner get sick of driving a manual and switch to a CVT than switch to an auto

Finding an auto that doesn't unexpectedly jerk you around is hard and expensive, unless you're into accelerating so fucking slowly or running such a weak engine that the temporary and unexpected loss of power isn't that obvious. Typical auto = like being the passenger of someone driving a stick who doesn't slip the clutch a bit on every shift.

Jesus christ this. I'm stuck in a goddamn rental focus and I swear to god my wife and I are gonna be pissing blood and have whiplash from this motherfucking piece of shit.

Fuck this and fuck anyone who thinks this is better than a manual. My 6 year old niece could drive a manual smoother than this fucking shitbox auto can shift.

The worst part is when they downshift when going downhill to maintain speed or slow down (since it's safer)

>clunk WHIRRRRRRRRRM

I have a 1 hour commute and don't mind when traffic makes it 1.5hr+. It feels really great when the traffic opens up and you're in the proper gear for taking off vs waiting for your auto to allow you to accelerate. I only really hate when I'm in bumper to bumper on the uphill part of an overpass, and the CUV behind me is 1 inch away

I actually don't mind some older automatics with kick down cables that are adjustable. it's pretty decent feeling, but still no where near as fun as being able to control it manually.

honestly though if i was a delivery driver I'd probably just get a cheap honda automatic if i live closer to a city.

Driving an auto is perfectly acceptable if you have a commute in a large city with stop and go. I hate driving a manual in stop and go, shit gets old quick.

I didn't get the chance to get sick of manual, It was too hard for my peabrain to comprehend from the get go. I simply cannot use a clutch without bunny hopping and stalling, I've tried for at least 40 hours when I first got my license.

Now, when I think of a 'good transmission' I think Sportshift/tiptronic/Sportmatic/ect. Something I'll never have because poorfag.

26 and counting

Learned around 2003, got my first manual around 2007. Have owned two cars since, both manual, and absolutely zero desire for my next car to be automatic.

>good old hydraulic autos where reliable and indestructible
My dad told me he wants to buy a Dodge because it has hydraulic auto. He despises fuel economy, variators, turbo, ecology norms, etc. And we don't evn live in USA! Is he crazy?

Still like manuals in some cars, as long as it's a decent gearbox.

One of my cars I prefer the manual version, it's more responsive, don't have to have a run up distance to pass someone or try to time the downshift to be in the right gear when you want to pass, just downshift into gear and go.

My other car I wish was an automatic because the manual is just absolute trash. Hates going into any gear, can't feel any gear, clutch is numb as shit, has no power in any gear anyway and when you get on it in 1st it feels like it's trying to blow itself up. When you hit the clutch after gunning it in 1st, the shifter will literally jump out of gear, it's great. Used to have an automatic version for work, it wasn't that bad. The auto started shitting the bed at 170k or so, but I just did a clutch at 100k in mine.

Currently building an auto for my project car. Should be good fun, added a clutch to the forward/direct/intermediate clutch packs, replaced the direct drum to get a 34 element 2nd gear sprag, opened up the feed holes for 2nd/3rd, got rid of one accumulator, put in a manual/automatic valve so I can hold gear to whenever I want (stock turbo 400's will override manual 1st selection at certain RPMs), got rid of all the wave plates, dual fed the direct clutch pack internally, already had the aluminum pistons, replaced the direct piston springs with heavier duty ones, replaced the iron forward hub with a steel one, did the anti thrust thing with the restrictor, new steels/friction/seals, and I have a pretty decent torque converter to go in front of it that should stall around 2500 RPM or so. I'll be amazed if it all actually works when I get it in the car.

>tfw

Explain to me shifting gears when turning.
>decelerate
>downshift
>turn the wheel and press accelerator
Is that how you do it? Do you even need to?

eh, you can just let it go for a fraction of a second and not wear it out much (it only wears significantly when it gets hot).

>get sick
10 months or so
>switch to auto
2 years

The best solution would be something like electrical transmission since it has no gears and can distribute power in any way you like at any speed. But it probably has it's own problems like expensive copper.
Manual is just lesser of two evils for a poor person. Sure, shifting gears sucks, but auto is more prone to breaking, dumb and consumes more fuel. If you have enough money, none of those matters, except slow shifting of course, but expensive cars with auto shift alright.

shifting gears doesn't suck, it's tactile and satisfying

14 years.

I drive similar to pic.

Low gearing but still comfortable on the highway. Not much power but it weighs nothing so its acceptable.

>always city driving
>manual
>no torque
>still just half slip clutch with no accelerator and it goes
>release clutch fully and it just chugs along at typical auto crawl speed with no accelerator even up hills

People that complain about wearing out clutches in cars are probably teenagers or people that can't drive manual properly.

i swear to god if seb comes on when I have shuffle playing on my commute i start going hard in the paint and anyone and everyone is trying to race

Fag

Had my first truck for 4 months before it was stolen. It was manual and fun because I had the long ass gear shifter and lots of room.

Sick and tired of my manual FRS after 7 months. I'm just a lazy fuck when it comes to driving.

>The clutch problem is a user error.

Probably, but it wasn't me. I just bought it.

Fag

>Finding an auto that doesn't unexpectedly jerk you around is inefficient

fixed. modern automatics aren't as smooth because the torque converter locks up for better economy in every gear but first, instead of just in overdrive.

i had a manual once but i drove it hard and shifted like a granny

got tired of the whiplash instead went to the butter smooth dark side where you can't even feel the gears switch.

Daily reminder, auto is faster these days, the new camaro is .3 seconds faster in auto and the corvette is a half a second faster going to 60

>got tired of the whiplash
It isn't the transmissions fault you suck at driving.

>Subaru
>transmission problems

There's nothing wrong here tbqh.

>bought a new mustang last year
>needs a new clutch every other month
>takling to sales guy about trading it for an auto next month
Never getting a manual again

Been driving manual cars for nine years. Currently on a business trip, have an auto CHEVY CRUZE.

K I L L M E

>yfw

Same time as you did, when I came out of the closet.

Then either you suck at a manual or its a typical shitstang

>significantly shorter lifespan

My 4EAT laughs at your burnt clutch.

I learnt how to drive in my current car and its on 75k kms and still on its first clutch
What are you doing wrong?