Been driving for 10+ years of my life, in a country with right hand traffic (as in most countries)

Been driving for 10+ years of my life, in a country with right hand traffic (as in most countries).

Say I was moving to a country which has left hand traffic (UK). How long till I get used to driving on the wrong side of the road? Will I ever get used to it?

Literally a couple of minutes, maybe less.

I'm the same when driving in Europe. You'll do just fine.

Untilyourfirstaccident.jpg

It won't take long.

>Literally a couple of minutes, maybe less.
this
my parents moved to the US from the UK and they both said that after a day of driving it was like driving in the UK

Have driven across europe and had no trouble at all in my own car.
However, I hired a car in france last year and driving on the wrong side of the car was weird as fuck.
It took a couple of days to learn where to position the car on the road. And I don't think reversing would ever feel natural looking over the wrong shoulder.

>wrong side
You mean Right side.

It's called that because it was designed for right handed drivers.
If you're right handed and yet you drive with your non-dominant hand off the wheel, you're doing it wrong and live in a shit country.
If you're left handed, all good.

Yeah, fuck off pal.
I'm english and proud (aka racist as fuck), but even I know driving on the right is stupid.
Think of all the cheap euro cars we could get if we drove on the left like everyone else.

>It's called that because it was designed for right handed drivers.

No faggot I'm pretty sure it has to do with some horse riding shit and how they always held their swords on their right side..

Taking the left hand side in traffic is a habit that goes back hundreds of years, possibly as far as the ancient Greeks, Egyptians and Romans, but certainly to an era when people habitually carried swords when traveling. As around 85-90% of humans are right-handed, passing on the right-hand side would leave carriage and cart drivers more open to attack from people coming the other way. Knights with lances, squires with knives, peasants with pitchforks, everyone had to be ready for a dust-up at a moment’s notice, and that meant keeping to the left so you could get a good swing at your assailants. Granted, this did mean they were more vulnerable to be attacked from the pavement, but no system is entirely foolproof.

After moving to Japan from the US, it took me all of three blocks to get used to driving in the left lane. Lane positioning and reversing is a bit weird at first, and for a week or so I would have to think for a second at a T intersection if there weren't any other cars around to clue me in, but it's really not a big deal. The turn signal and wiper stalks being swapped was a bigger problem. Shifting with my left hand took some getting used to as well. Still, after a couple of weeks you don't even notice it anymore.

A year later and I'm finding myself getting briefly weirded out when I watch YouTube videos of people driving in the right lane in America or wherever.

You don't 100% control the direction of a horse you fucking morons.

You DO 100% control the steering wheel, which is where your dominant hand should always remain.

You don't need all your strength to swing a fucking gearstick

We can import all the JDM tyte cars instead.

And our used car market is already the best in Europe anyway.

fair enough.
Fuck europe. I'm voting out
Who else is hoping for a brexit?

>I can't into history.

By wrong you mean left and by that you mean right

In single-seat race cars with conventional stick-shift manual transmissions, which side is the shifter on, nearly without exception?

Food for thought.

>you don't 100% control a horse
Have you ever even ridden a horse

>You don't need all your strength to swing a fucking gearstick

Which is why left hand on gearstick is the right way, thus keeping your dominant hand on the steering wheel.

Of course.

>DD a classic car with 4 speed and now power steering

You're a weak faggot if you can't control your car (that has ABS, traction control, and power steering) with your non-dominant hand

And you're a retard if you think strength is the 100% deciding factor.

Dominant hands are more precise too, dickhead. Go drive a go kart or something else with a very tight steering rack around a thin course.

>Implying I don't drive cars in England and hire cars in Europe.

The point was, that the post quoted was totally lacking in logic, and must have been written by an Americunt due to lack of reading/thought coordination.

You stupid fagget, if you're going into battle on a horse you want to hold your sword with your dominant hand and attack from your dominant side (the right). Just kill yourself.

>You DO 100% control the steering wheel, which is where your dominant hand should always remain.
>You don't need all your strength to swing a fucking gearstick

Yet claims left hand drive is the best hand drive.

Retard.

>Dominant hands are more precise too, dickhead.
Nothing teaches precision like the dead-zone in non-powered steering. If you turn a V8 Ameriboat then you need to roll the wheel in the opoosite direction mid-turn to avoid oversteer.

Stop being a faggot, power steering is easy mode.
I can hold a Camry on a straight line with my pinky.

That wasn't my post hombre. Playing doubles advocate here, gearboxes in old cars take a good amount of oomph to change gears.
Modern gearboxes are smooth as glass by comparison.
>Go drive a go kart or something else with a very tight steering rack around a thin course.
I have, not that hard.

And i can jack off with my left hand, doesn't mean my right doesn't work better.

Hence the entire point - it's pretty fucking obvious you can drive LHD while being right handed, otherwise the majority of the world would have a goddamn problem. But being able to do something doesn't mean it's the smart way - the smart way is to have your dominant hand remain on the wheel while changing gears, and in the majority of the population this would mean RHD.

Now back onto the strength thing:
You're a 16yo slag driving a crossover while texting when you hit a pothole
Would it be safer if your schlicking hand was on the phone letting your left hand get pulled all over the place by the wheel?

>And i can jack off with my left hand, doesn't mean my right doesn't work better.
But your left hand does work better, unless your left hand is precise enough to use the mouse.

Similarly, shifting, or changing the radio station or whatever, is a much more precise movement than steering. If you can use your right hand for that, it will take less of your concentration away from the road. And with power steering the strength argument is moot.

It took me a few minutes
I did run over a curb with the left side of my car within the first 5 mins but it was ok overall

This

First time I drove in the uk I was nervous leaving the rental car place, but by the time I got to my first destination I felt pretty comfy. Just take extra time at T junctions or stop signs.

Daily reminder that roundabouts > junctions.

The few times I've gone to left-driving countries I've been fine, but for some reason when I play any video game where you drive on the left I get all fucked up when I go out. Spent a day playing Sleeping Dogs, then when I went out the day after I felt so disoriented.