Okay Veeky Forums who do I talk to, to try and import a Lada Niva to the USA

Okay Veeky Forums who do I talk to, to try and import a Lada Niva to the USA

Department of Immigration.

All this time later, sitting bored at work I had hoped someone knowledgeable would have posted. I want a bare bones 4x4 3 door SUV, and I'm pretty sure I can import one for less monry than all these faggots on Craigslist are asking for their broncos.

There are a bunch in Canada still, mostly in quebec and the east coast.

Can they be imported down from Canada though? Or do they have to be from the original country?

>having a job
>being a responsible adult
>expecting an informative answer on a board filled with NEETS

I would actually like to know about immigration policies. But it surely depends on where you are in the states.

You can import them if they're 25 yo or over.

Texas.
Also I don't they they have changed them forever so yes I would get a 25+ year old one

Think*

>buy one from some eastern european
>have them take it apart
>have them cut the chassis in 2
>have them shave off the chassis number
>weld it back together once it enters the US
>register it as a kit car
>put it back together

That is possible but it being over 25 years I'd rather just do it legally. The problem is finding a Russian to trust I can buy it from and get it shipped over

Aren't they enormous pieces of shit?

search for Lada forums
they're bound to have some recommendations

Yes but very simple to fix.

Sure but supposedly easy to fix and if I felt it necessary I would drop in some small truck engine for ease of sourcing parts.

Do like Putin and drop an ecotec in there.

People put 2 litre twin cam fiat motors in them

>fiat
c'mon

I stay as far away from GM stuff as I can, although it can't get any slower than what's in there. I was thinking a 3RZ if I did a swap, but I need to figure out how to get it here first.

Just get a 2 door Tracker and drop a 3rz in it then.

Sounds like you need a geo tracker in your life

Nigga it's a suzuki sidekick not gm

That's in reference to the ecotech. I thought about a tracker though but they never made one without a removable top did they?

>Niva is based on the Zhiguli Lada
>Zhiguli is a Fiat 124

seems like the obvious thing to do desu

What is an average cost of importation besides the vehicle? I imagine a few thousand so I can't see why I can't get one here for $5000ish probably less. 4x4 trackers not beat to hell and back are going to be between 2000 and 5000 anyways it looks like, and I'd rather have the lada if it's a matter of a few grand.

My roommate has a friend that bought one from a Canadian person and drove it across the border. Though oddly enough even though all the paperwork said it was a 1986 it was actually a 1995. :^))))

Yes there are hardtop versions of both the tracker and sidekick
If you are looking for more old and robust brick look at samurai

Or old isuzus/mitzus like trooper etc.
They have 3 doors too
And way less rice tax than Toyota's

I like the trooper and the land cruiser a lot, but I'm pretty set on the Niva, I even love the way it looks for some odd reason

Then Godspeed my good man
Love to see it done

If I can accomplish it I will be sure to report back

A psychiatrist