G Class

What's Veeky Forums think about the Mercedes G Class?

Getting a new vehicle soon and I've been admiring the G Wagon for a while now. Love the off-road potential, lots of snow here in the winter so that would be a definite plus, love the style and personality of the G. How can you go wrong with all that power and German engineering?

essentially paying top dollar for a car that's been around since the 70's.

just buy a defender instead.

and if you really want a mercedes badge, an ML.

i love them. can't afford one but if i could.....

love a handmade suv

I mean, being around since the 80s isn't much better is it?

Right? The lux of a Mercedes with the ability to go anywhere.

If ever I had the money and had to choose a Mercedes, I would surely buy the G63 AMG.

It's such an awesome vehicle that had proved itself in various fields. It's one of the best, actually the best offroad once can take on the road and as well as cruising int he cities. Built like a tank, awesome reliability because most of the parts in it are mechanical rather than electronic, that bad ass road presence, much to say.

P O R T A L A X L E S

Friend's mom has a G63. It's a total beast and makes me want to buy an old G55 but even those are out of my responsible spending range.

It's no wonder this car refuses to die

>Modern Mercedes
>Reliable

What does "portaxle" means?

They are, especially 2014+ models.

How could you possibly know how reliable they are then?

Even if some are driven very or for many miles your sample size is still going to be small.

would love a brabus one, too nice to take offroad

Is there a brabus 4x4^2?

Probably means "sexy as shit tank that'll take care of anything"

i dont see no reason why not, since its basically a lifted G500

Defenders can be had for £4000 in good condition, the cheapest G wagens seem to be in the £10,000 area

Checked and Rekt

I had a g500. Posted it on Veeky Forums a couple of times. Pros were I felt like a badass eastern european warlord. Cons were solid front axle onroad, high centre of gravity, rough suspension, abyssmal mileage, poor handling, very little space inside.
If you have the money to buy it and care for it get one. No fucking regrets.

It's Portal Axles. Means the axles aren't collinear with the wheel rotation axle.

Here I have a simple diagram for you to understand.

>notice the center line.

In the normal axle the axle is right at the centre of the wheel, providing less ground clearance. This is common on all 4x4s.

Now look at the portal axle. The axle(is also the centre line) is placed rather a bit higher so the obstacle doesn't hit the axle. This is commonly used among Unimogs and G-Wagons and sometimes in military vehicles.

Its more of a status symbol at this point, unless you're going for the 4x4*2 or similar. If you want offroading capability then a LandCruiser with a small lift is much more achievable and cheaper.

It does not handle well, with a very high centre of gravity, heavy weight, stiff suspensions and so on.

They're cool cars, but like I said; you're buying what is essentially 80% status symbol and 20% car. Its a good pick if you've got plenty of money, and you want that mixture of luxury and off road capability (with the right tires, mind you), but there are a lot of other SUVs I would consider before a Geländewagen

If you can afford it get it. The resale is so awesone its probably the cheapest MB you can get long term.

Reliability doesn't prove itself in two years