/dfg/ Dwarf Fortress General

I am concerned edition
Previous thread >Download the basic game here. Current version is Dwarf Fortress 0.43.05
bay12games.com/dwarves/

>Official forums:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php

>Find a bug? Don't tell us! Tell Toady! Complaining in the thread will accomplish nothing.
bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt

>Have a question? Check the wiki first:
dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Main_Page

>Fireden archived threads:
boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/Dwarf Fortress/

>Dwarf Therapist (Out of Date):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=122968.0

>DFHack (Out of Date):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=139553.0

>Starter Pack (Out of Date):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=126076.0

>More DF stuff:
pastebin.com/AnsHjQ40

>Dwarf Fortress General IRC chat:
en.irc2go.com/webchat/?net=freenode&room=dwarffortress
(to connect yourself: webchat.freenode.net #dwarffortress)

>A bunch of guides to various parts of fort-based living:
imgur.com/a/nGyRF#0

>Video tutorials:
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBrdUj1adIBD-vgUodaaxebcdqQ4oEWtg
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLD1A3FE72C0DCAC66 (Dated, but good)

>Text tutorials:
dwarffortresswiki.org/DF2014:Tutorials
members.iinet.net.au/~morty/Getting_Started_with_Dwarf_Fortress.pdf

>This pasta:
pastebin.com/iAduXzjn

Strike the earth!

Other urls found in this thread:

dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Adventure_mode
dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Adventure_mode_quick_start
dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Cave-in
bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=9479
dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Entity_token#PROGRESS_TRIGGER_POPULATION
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

First for Toady's health

I'd tell you to shoot them down with marksdwarves but they'd probably climb the tree to try and hit it with their stocks.

What does it mean when a beast has a gem exoskeleton and a shell? Do I have to break the shell and then deal with the exoskeleton? How does this work?

In FBs I believe shells are just another part to hit, animals with shells can retract into them but I don't believe FBs can.

>hating elves is a meme anyway
Meme's are tools, user. When they work, you keep using them.
Seriously, though, I begrudgingly respect them for making what must be a hellish trip to come see me just for my cast off clothes. Maybe they come for the gorgeous view.
They'll live this year, but next year they better bring something better than a giant hoary marmot.

>roads
We don't do roads.

Elves may be jerks who covet the lives of an oak more than my entire encampment, but they do have a habit of bringing me trained TIGER and LIONS.

Everyone knows nothing is more pimp, nor as rock solid a defense against thievery and invasion than a pair of lions at one's gates.

My companion hit me right in the feels today.

He was mortally wounded by a night troll and as he lay dying I decided to have a final chat with him.

I never expected an '@' on a screen to make me feel these things /dfg/.

>trained animals
>not even a bear

It made a better story, but traveling away could have saved them.

I love the color scheme in screenshots, but I can't play with it after trying, makes me dizzy, what the hell?

obviously I keep bears in throne room, but I've been told large cats are superior for detecting and devouring Kobolds.

I MAY have had a massive misunderstanding as to the true nature of a "drake" and created a heavily engraved menagerie full of ducks...

>'Fuck yeah, draconic decorations here we come.'
>Weeks later.
>'Urist, what the fuck is with these ducks?'

I am a Dwarf

And I'm digging a hole

Diggy diggy hole

Digging a hole

xD

I've been dicking around with slade weapons in the arena through DFhack and they don't seem really good. The slade hammer weighs 80u while a regular iron hammer weighs 4u. Slade ammo like bolts/arrows weigh 30 and can't be thrown more than like 4 tiles by an expert throwing dwarf. Maybe superdwarf strength is needed to wield them effectively but other than that they seem useless. When the bolts did manage to hit the other dwarf, everytime it would just chip the bone or open an artery, nothing cool like sending they flying back

>The forgotten beast kicks the forgotten beast in the cephalothorax with its left second foot, tearing the fat and bruising the muscle and bruising the brain

literally ended in the first attack

what a fucking cock block

Want to try out DF but only interested in Adventure mode

Started out using wiki as a guide

Left the main area had no idea what to do, walked around finding literally nothing until it got dark, killed a spook then died

Where is everything? It was just barren nothingness, I couldnt even find a rabbit

Also is focusing on rasslin' and smacking acceptable? I just want to choke people out or bunch their lungs to mush

Definitely need more strength for it.

>Fey dwarf demands cloth
>...no, not that cloth
>...no... not THAT cloth

The twist always gets me.

last night I had just gotten my forge up and running when some fuck decided he needed metal bars. I was actually designating the shop (a fucking clothier's shop, what?) to be unbuilt and putting the militia on standby when he started his mysterious construction.

it was a silk left mitten by the way

zombie ravens get out reeee

So the necromancers sending an army to siege another site I found?

Apparently it's literally an army, and the best part: they're sending elf corpses to siege a forest retreat.

no but really how do you find things in adventure mode?

it was nothing but just dirt until it became dark and then it was pain

dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Adventure_mode
Press T to quick travel.

God, that's deep, it's like fuckin' life man. "It was nothing but just dirt until it became dark and then it was pain."

Besides the [T]ravel stuff, there is also your [Q]uest log to see where things are.

You can [t]alk to people and inquire about troubles, they'll mention stuff like armies, abductions, beasts, bandits, criminals, vermin, and blood-chilling horror, you can ask about those subcategories and get told about one of the relevant creatures/groups/etc and then there will be an option "Ask for directions to [Where shit is]." that you'll want to use, it adds it to the [e]vents list under your [Q]uest log, letting you scroll down to the relevant entry and [z]oom to see where it is on the map.

Also: dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Adventure_mode_quick_start

His nervous tissue was torn, even if we'd traveled it would have killed him eventually.

>badly channel a certain spot
>1 square
>cave has collapsed
>huge blast going through 6 floors
>all from 1 tile

is this normal

You can use legends viewer to find all the good shit than travel to it in-game.

It is sad, but not inevitable.

not unless ur bad

ebic

Everywhere a cave in hits a tile that isn't supported by a wall beneath it, it will continue for another z level. You should read this. Twice.
dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Cave-in

I don't know, but riddle me this:
>chop down tree on the surface
>a section of the cavern has collapsed!
>get zoomed to a point in mid air
>look around and discover it's the highest branch of the tree
>unpause
>dust cloud and all the usual elements of a cave-in the size of the entire fucking tree
>wipes out several dorfs and a third of the memorial garden, which was under it
is THIS normal? is it because it fell on a construction?

Hard to know without seeing what was going on. It sounds like you had a construction supported by tree branches.

christ what a little bitch

What the fuck kind of name is that?

an orc name

life is 2 hard :((

definitely did not. could there have been a dorf in the tree? it was in a designated fruit gathering zone. there wouldn't have been anything built on it (that idea has never occurred to me actually) but it overhung several memorial slabs, a moat, wall, and a shop on a lower level

Sure, there could've been a dwarf in the tree, but that doesn't make any difference. Falling dwarves aren't cave ins. Before you cut the tree a wall, floor, stair, ramp, support, bridge, or grate had support. After you cut the tree it didn't. That's how cave ins happen.
If you're playing an old version it could be an old bug with trees' tile data not being properly cleared. The so called thermonuclear fruit bug.

nope, current version. the 'cave-in' also sourced at the very apex of the tree.

So how pimping can I get my adv mode sites without changing to fort mode? Are we talking small ass bitch cabin or nightclub tavern with hoes all up in my dick?

Well, I found this. bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=9479
If you're sure you didn't make a mistake upload a save there.

>says the trees are not connected to anything. mine was rooted just fine, and it happened after a designated cut job. I'll try and reproduce.

>when your militia commander gets his head kicked off by a FB

I wonder if in fortress mode knowledge/secrets will be something you can trade.

Tell the elves you'll give them this fortune's worth of mugs on the house for tips/a written complete guide on tiger domestication.

Make all of dwarf-kind vow to destroy your fortress and all within it by handing out copies of "Steel Production for Humans". Sparking a world-wide effort to destroy all copies of the tome and any human who memorized its secrets.

>assign all goblin petitioners as scribes and scholars
>disseminate goblin literature to the mountainhome caravans
>advance worldgen 100 years
>migrants with the baby snatcher profession are as common as soap makers
buying the knowledge to tame exotic creatures like Dralthas for war and hunting would also be rad

>you can only build with wood
Not very.
I guess you could go to the nearest fort and try to find some gold or platinum furniture that isn't nailed down.

So close to going through the gap in the walls.

>Cavern people's reworked
>Establish peaceful contact and trade
>Assimilate/'merge' the fort and tribe
>Fort begins to pump out books for cavern plant farming, cavern creature domestication, and survival guides.
>Cavern people slowly spread knowledge of smelting by word of mouth
>other cavern tribes of the same race start to wield crude copper weapons

Is there any way to increase the rate of sieges? I fucking love fending off waves of enemies in increasingly humongous waves.

Is there an option in the d_init text I missed or a trick in the game itself?

export tons of high value shit, essentially. encrust all trade goods with gems, sell high value armor, etc.
of course, you should make sure you have gobbo neighbors. or if you're not getting them at your current fort and want to, just keep killing all the elven caravans. eventually they'll get pissed off and declare war.

Embark closer to gobbos I guess, seemingly in this version if you're even remotely close to a tower you'll get a lot of necromancer sieges too.

Can do, is there a way to lower the population requirement as well? I heard you need to get at least 60 dorfs before a siege becomes available.

I've been besieged with like ten dwarves in the current version but that was necromancers. dunno what rules the gobs work on or if they're even different per civ.

I believe you can modify the requirements in the entity file, not sure what to change off the top of my head as last time I did this was a few versions back when sieges would never show up.

dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Entity_token#PROGRESS_TRIGGER_POPULATION
Enjoy.

>come back to DF after a while
>neat adventurers have bone crafting and can specify the image
>murder some stray cats while training combat skills
>butcher two and make a figurine out of the bones
>pic related
>very next thing I do is wrestle another cat and bash apart a different cat's head with that cat figurine
Shit I kinda forgot how much variety this game had.

Cheers m8, lots of goodies there.

This seems comfy, but the world is being swallowed in darkness and dragons. Is it right to let civilization flounder while I cling to an arctic volcano.
Perhaps /dfg/ can suggest a strategic place to bring the fight to the undead hordes, goblin invasions and monster menace?

Embark right in the middle of them, then kill everything that comes close to you.

learning how to play DF. How deep do i dig?

Deep.
There is no such thing as too deep, so the answer is simply "Deep."

You're thinking the wrong way dude, light up a doobie and mine the sky brah.

Any ideas lads? Want to go full metal production but I don't want to accidentally flood myself with fun.

Never played with a volcano before so this is a learning experience.

I still hope there'll be an official, miasma-spewing wyvren mega/semimega. Not that mods wouldn't be able to make one.

If you still have somewhere to stand you haven't gone deep enough.

Resist the urge to dig straight into the side of the tube.

DO IT, DELICIOUS DRINKS AWAIT!

DIG INTO IT HAHAHAHA

Learn in steps
1. Basics
2. Subterranean Agriculture
3. Metal Industry
4. Military

>decide to pick up this game for no reason
>it's literally 80% text and 20% little flashing squares
>fucking boring but whatever, I'll play for a bit
>4 hours later
>addicted

I was not ready for this

if your squares are flashing you're in for a bad time

Construct a hatch/floodgate system to flood a prepared room. Floor over the room and make holes/place workshops as needed

How do you get volcanos with large open spots of ground around them like that rather than just multiple levels of literally no space/sheer cliffs

In my experience try looking for areas on embark with sheer cliffs and 1's with the uh, elevation view

>new outsider drops into a town
>some fucking goblins trolling around
>sneak into one of the farmer buildings
>nigger goblin pikeman is demanding some farmer guy drops his bag of leeks or some shit
>finally, an opportunity to save the day!
>assume the farmers would help
>start attacking the goblin
>all 4 townspeople just chill while me and this goblin stab each other
>both my hands and legs got fucked
>after I had scratched away all his clothes and ruined his internal organs with bites and scratches, he fell unconscious from over-exertion
>strangled the fucker
>mfw my everything is mangled
>mfw these townspeople are covered in blood and gore
>mfw I can't even pick up shit to eat
>mfw that fucking farmer went along with the goblins demands and dropped the bag of leeks
I figured by now the townspeople would help fight against shit that is robbing/threatening them if it's engaged, but apparently not.

the more you dig, the more you learn, and the more fun you have.

>Create a new world just to practice stuff like working with rivers so I don't flood a real fortress
>Prepare to embark
>No anvils or picks available
How do I delete a world?

change civ

>only 4 hours in and his squares are flashing
not gonna make it

>How do I delete a world?
All of them are stored in a folder called "system32". If you delete it, you'll clear all the active saves.

Thanks, I did this and it worked

Where do I find the entity files in the games data?

raw>objects>entity_default.txt

for a specific save..
data>save>region you wanna edit>raw>objects>entity_default.txt

Some will, it depends on how the scene gets escalated, their personalities, and so forth. I've gotten lynch mobs together before by jacking weapons from bandits and giving them to nearby civvies.

what mods ya using? is that a hauberk?

>The Problematic Desert
lol'd

Trying to melt water from the caverns that was leaking into the drained volcano tube but froze since it's a glacier, been staggering it so the water flows under/over magma to keep it liquid so I can end up dropping it on a lava flow to get rid of it after making a waterfall, my tip when fucking with volcanos and ice? Save before you try something new so you can kill the process and figure out what went wrong, cause it's gonna go wrong a lot.

Oh, yeah, mail shirts are close enough to hauberk that it bugs me less to just rename them, same with greaves > upper greaves, high boots > lower greaves.

It took a good while, but now my cliffside temple is finally complete, with doors and everything.

Now I just have to make the rest of the furnishing, assign some activity areas, and then I'm done. My next step after that will be to create a local gov, claim the site and then pay tribute to my queen back home.

At least roleplay-wise, this will make my hard built site the first colony in a previously uninhabited land.

>need to quickly draft someone as a militia captain to be able to draft new members to the squad
>grab the first bard so that no one gets sad when he dies
>heck him out some time after the siege has ended
>goblin

Nether cap is a magma safe material when used in building components, but what if I want to haul magma with a minecart? Will a nether cap minecart survive being submerged in magma and the hauling?

"This fixed temperature makes nether-cap wood magma-safe, except that nether-cap wood items dumped into magma are destroyed."

Man there's something interesting about watching civilizations rise and fall in world gen.

Indeed.

Don't forget you can assign your companions their own rooms with zones.

I didn't know that. How? I though you could only assign meeting halls and "locations" in adventure mode.