How do we fix it?

How do we fix it?

youtube.com/watch?v=teaz8JCvy6s

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=YCTgcZ6ImsQ
espn.co.uk/f1/story/_/id/15182571/paddy-lowe-science-f1-overtaking-means-2017
youtube.com/watch?v=5FXgBbxsE6Q
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

In my opinion. We should restrict adverstisements on cars. Restrict teams to budgets of 100 million in development with a minimum entry budget of 50 million development.

Make the cars heavier by a few hundred pounds and remove wings everwhere.

Unlimited horsepower
No aero
135 section crossply tyres

No restrictions. At all. Imagine 4000hp 4cyls screaming down the track.

the space in between the "F" and the red forms the number 1

fuck why am I so slow

Watch out those trips and your comment are insane

If I had the cash I would ask a kit maker to build me one of those.

Honestly....I have no idea. All I know is that current F1 is steaming shit. I've tried to be positive that the current rules just need some tweaking. But I've given up. All I know is the drivers have to be more important than the engineers. The racing needs to be more than an engineering exercise. I know F1 has always been a technology showcase. But it feels like F1 no longer has any humanity. It's hard to put into words...except to say....F1 is dreadfully boring. The Ferrari domination years were bad, but it felt like the drivers made a bigger difference. Sure, Schumacher and Ferrari were dominate, but the rest of the field wasn't automatically going to be obliterated at every race.

Like I said, I don't know the answer. I am probably just another causal fan that has given up and moved on. But I really did used to love F1. Now.....I just don't really care.

Yeah pretty much my feelings. But I haven't lost all hope even though the last 10 years have been a blur. I miss the late 80's and early 90's racing.

I think F1 needs to be shake-up a lot.

Delete the FIA and their stupid rules.

It's very simple, you see.

>Tell pirelli to make good tires or fuck off
We probably need a tire war again, but tires that don't let you push and create so much debris on the track that there isn't any room to pass is stupid.

>Massively reduce traditional aero
Traditional body aero is the single biggest issue with the cars today. Aero doesn't work if the car has yaw (i.e. drifting), if the air is dirty (i.e. behind another car), or if any of the bits are missing (i.e. bumped another car). It needs to be minimized as much as possible. Windtunnel tests with a certain downforce and drag limit would make this easy to regulate, for the most part.

>Allow and strictly regulate active ground effects (fan cars)
Simple solution. Limit the sealed area under the car in which downforce can be created, which effectively regulates the amount of downforce the cars have, in combination with control parts for the fan assembly on the back (see below). Since this downforce is not affected by the yaw of the car, you can slide around and still go fast. Just need to have hard, not shit tires that allow this.

>Control parts for the fan assembly
Mostly to keep the teams on a somewhat even playing field. The fan shroud, blades, and what not should be the same between teams. The blades should spin in direct proportion to engine RPM (i.e. BT46B) so that the driver has control over the amount of downforce, in a way, and puts an emphasis on driving for getting the most speed out of the car. This was done back in the 70s and I'm sure can be done now reliably and cheaply.

>Drop the hybrid engines
Honestly, I think it's better to leave the whole 'technology that ends up in road cars' shit to WEC, and leave F1 to racing shit. Turbo or N/A doesn't really matter, as long as they all make roughly the same power and are reasonably reliable. Do the shit superGT did for regulating engine power. (1/2)

Kill bernie.

youtube.com/watch?v=YCTgcZ6ImsQ

new rules

> manual
> 1500hp any engine type you want

thats it

>Stop letting the teams decide regulations
This is one of the main reasons why F1 has gone to shit over the last few decades. Right now to make major changes, all of the teams have to agree. Fuck that shit, tell them what the rules are and listen to their opinions. If there are genuine issues that can be changed for the better of the sport, sure. But otherwise if they wanna bitch because it disadvantages them, tough shit.

>Customer cars
I can't fucking believe teams are bitching about how HAAS is taking ferrari parts. Decades ago you could go buy last year's car and run it as your own from factory teams. If a team wants to do this, let them do it. In fact, I'd argue that all manufacture backed teams should be REQUIRED to sell their chassis at the end of the year to independent teams for a set price. That helps keep costs down for manufactures by setting a cap on development costs (Why dump 500m into a car when you have to sell it at the end of the year for 100m?) and costs down for new teams by allowing them to enter the sport without having to set up the infrastructure to design and build their own chassis, as well as pay off personnel from other teams to get specific experience and knowledge in design. Something similar can be done with engines.

>Let the drivers speak freely
Drivers should be free to talk shit about their team, just as much as the team should feel free to fire them. If the car is shit, they can say so. The team can fire them, and another team can snap them up and have a good driver.

>Relax the fucking driving standards
Simply put, go look at how motoGP and touring cars are regulated. The only thing to add to this is IF YOU DIDN'T MAKE RACETRACKS A FUCKING PARKING LOT WITH LINES, YOU WOULDN'T HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT CARS RUNNING OFF THE TRACK AND GAINING TIME!

That seriously gets me.

But that's the gist of it. Take control, force change, and make a better sport.

Oh, few more things.

>Manual transmissions
On one hand, this is bad because a semi automatic is more reliable for the most part. On the other hand, it'd be nice to see drivers have a greater input in car reliability.

>Driver aids
None. Also, only allow 3 engine modes and require them to be the same for every team that uses that manufacture's engine. So no sneaky 'engine mappings' to get around the right foot.

I'd like to see the cars go back to full hydraulic braking with none of this brake by wire in the back because of the hybrid shit. And in general, I'd like to see F1 positioned as the fastest, most difficult, and most encompassing form of motorsport. F1 has never been about the most overtaking, but rather that a great overtake requires skill to pull off. Winning races requires strategy (I love fuel strategy personally) just as much as raw speed and consistency. But most importantly, the drivers should have to drive the wheels off of the car every lap of the race whilst keeping their head to be successful. The car has always and will always play a factor, but it must be reduced if the sport is to survive.

>I do not know what trips are.

Is it summer already?

Dont worry user, Ive sen that logo since I was a kid and only until a few months ago I realized that.

Only allow 1 spare parts van, pic related.

The team have to decide what parts to bring and what to leave behind. Would you take a spare nosecone, or gamble and leave it behind?

The outcomes are endless.

espn.co.uk/f1/story/_/id/15182571/paddy-lowe-science-f1-overtaking-means-2017
The Overtaking Working Group found that no rear wing was only 2nd worse than having the split rear wing, in terms of leaving clean air behind.

>Customer cars
agreed. It limits benefit of massive investment, and increases the field. Still gives manufacturers advertising value.

Biggest change of all is to add competent management. They cant even get the show into modern distribution channels nor are they competent enough to get viewers to be interested.

closed wheels

open wheels are a meme and literally everyone knows it by now

I think the fuel flow limit is what you want instead. It is the only way to limit hp and one of the few things that worked in the past years. Ross Brawn knows his shit.

Fuck the 100kg fuel carry limit though.

Keys in a hat and draw one each to select your sight unseen Bedford Rascal.
THAT is how to improve F1.

Change the vehicle every time you change the circuit.

Imagine if you decide not to bring a spare gearbox, and it blows?

The choices, man.

>> manual
So this. It would force drivers to drive a car. A driver would be forced to think about gear changes and rev check when entering a corner. It's just too easy today.

Jack Brabham won by pushing, PUSHING, his car over the line once.
youtube.com/watch?v=5FXgBbxsE6Q
Cool dude.

Look at the way the cars turn those corners.

>Dirty air
IMO the solution is reducing the effect that dirty air has, rather than reducing it's existence.

I will add to the active ground effect idea that you'd need to look very carefully into what happens when air gets under the car, both in a typical use scenario with bumps and curbs and such, and also in accidents. Managing the former is essential, because the old passive ground effect cars were notorious for being very sensitive to pitch and yaw, and also bad bumps and curbs. The latter could potentially be a saftey concern, but I imagine is manageable.

>As a result the OWG's work did not have the impact it could have achieved in 2009 and it was not until 2011 and the introduction of DRS and Pirelli's degrading tyres that overtaking reached all-new highs. But Lowe believes the success of those somewhat artificial devices are underpinned by the work of the OWG.

I'll point out here that 2009 and 2010 were decent years, both in terms of the driver's championship and car development. 2011 was fucking shit because red bull ran away with everything and the racing behind was utterly stagnant. The overtakes that were done with DRS felt forced. 2012 was ok, 2013 was also shit.

>Refueling
Personally, I love refueling. Pit strategy has always been a thing, especially since 82, and while I think it might reduce the overall number of overtakes, I think the ones you get are of higher quality. Drivers on low fuel that have to pass the same people multiple times through a race and drive at the absolute limit in order to make up for the extra stop, as well as drivers on more fuel trying to hold others up. I think that a spicy pit strategy does more for the racing than DRS enabled overtaking.

>It's just too easy today.

>Not understanding the amount of shit the driver has to remember and control compared to the late 80's cars.

Especially with the axing of driver coaching now.