Newfag

I just turned 18 and need a car. Are either of these good?

nacogdoches.craigslist.org/cto/5570926600.html

nacogdoches.craigslist.org/cto/5574563899.html

Both will be ridiculous to insure

No.
Don't buy an automatic you fucking mongoloid.

What's wrong with automatics?

>automatic corvette and mustang
be sure to kill yourself OP.

Why don't you explain why that's bad instead of being a cynical asshole?

Get a CRX,reliable,fun,cheap to maintain/insure,good on gas.Perfect first car, don't be a faggot and get an automatic

>decrease in power
>decrease in acceleration
>decrease in reliability
>more numb driving experience

Why the fuck would you get a muscle/sports car and get an automatic
If you want something convenient get a Honda or some thing
If you want performance and fun get a manual

If you drive an older sports car like these you should get a manual. Once you learn and get the hang of it, it'll be more fun to drive them.

Also this Don't throw money away on insurance for sports cars so early in adulthood, unless you can somehow get a really good (low) premium them or have enough money not to care.

Just start off with an older accord or corolla for sub $4k.

autos need less maintinence than manuals

autos have a 10% drvietran loss

autos will be cheaper on the second hand market

anyone who needs to play with a dick nob and press a pedal to enjoy a driving experience needs to grow up and be more mature

Holy shit, I'm not gonna be street racing or someshit. I just want to drive around in a sexy car.

These two are the only helpful people so far.

>need less maintenance than manuals
Manuals need a clutch change every 50k to 75k miles.
Automatics will generally start failing around 150k miles, with failure almost guaranteed before 200k. And they're generally unrepairable.

>Manuals need a clutch change every 50k to 75k miles.

You don't have to street race you stupid faggot. Driving a manual is way more fun and cool then an automatic.

And if you want a c4 corvette get one that's 92 and up. The l98 c4's are absolutely dogshit in automatic.

The l98 isn't as good as the lt1.

Okay, sorry. Sometimes you can make a clutch last for 100k if you're super good.

protip if you go automatic you'll look like a tryhard poser

The clutch in my car lasted to 169k you stupid fuck.

>automatic
Doesn't matter in Texas, there's not a curve to be found.

Nissan Z300

>autos need a new tranny every 150k miles

no they dont

No, neither one OP. Get yourself a 5 spd Corolla, Civic or Accord. If you think you're going to into cars in the future, learn how to drive manual, it's not hard. Being 18, you and/or your parents will get raped by insurance for either of those cars. Get a few years of clean driving under your belt for cheaper insurance and to lessen your inherent retard, then get something good. IMO, both of the cars you linked to are shit.

K

Bought one. Love it.

Did a timing belt change (first thing to do on a new purchase)
>DEAR GOD WHAT LAYER OF HELL DESIGNED THIS BULLSHIT!?

Don't unless you have a shit ton of time and money on your hands.

Let me help you user. Find one of these, a 93 to 95 taurus SHO. 225 hp 5 speed good on insurance.

Yep, the clutch on my 04 legacy is original and is going strong at 153k

As a tech, I can confirm this. With proper maintenance an auto can last (as much as I can confirm with the pickups I work on) 500,000 miles or more. Just get your trans flushed at its recommended intervals, as a trans flush can ruin a transmission that has 6 digit miles and has never had its fluid touched.

tl;dr maintain your fucking vehicle and it'll last

But the most common manual sports cars are Civic Sis/RSX type s and S200s

LOL @ auto hondas.

>autos need less maintenence
Have you ever seen an automatic tranny? It's like alien tech.

Both look decent, but cars on craigslist are rarely what they look like when you see them in purpose.

>auto mustang
>auto vette

seriously save up instead. just because you're 18 doesnt mean you need a car.

For all the people going
>auto vette
Just keep in mind C4 autos are much, MUCH more common than manuals. Maybe one out of 15 on the local CL are manual.

The real problem is he's considering a V6 Mustang for what a V8 costs.

The Mustang is both V6 and an auto, which means it's slow as balls and not worth any money, at all. Nobody wants those cars.

The Corvette is a 1988 which means it's overpriced, unless you're looking for a low-miles collector car. You can get a 1996 Vette with the LT1 engine and 100K miles for that kind of money.

At least around here $6K will get you a good 2002-ish Mustang GT V8, probably with a manual too.

I'm amazed that no one considers a sho at 18. They are faster than both the 2 valve gt and c4 vette

V6 mustang isnt nearly as good as a V8, but its better than anything built overseas within your price range.
You dont want a vette as a first car.

>decrease in power
Sure by about 10-15%
>decrease in acceleration
Yeah nigger you don't know your way around gearboxes. What is the planetary gearset Alex? Also what is a torque converter?
>decrease in reliability
The 700R4 that would be in that transmission was the mainline longitudinal gearbox in GM cars of that era. They are reliable and plentiful especially in lighter cars like corvettes. While changing a clutch in a manual is simpler than clutch packs in autos it is more frequent.
>more numb driving experience
Easily fixed with simply shift kit in aggressive semi automatic or full manual.

I was raised in a machine shop working on all manner of chevrolets since I was 8. C4 corvettes are great drivers cars and super fun to drive once you learn how to drive them.
If you are inexperienced driving corvettes I would STRONGLY recommend against it. I had an 85 that I drove like a psychopath because of my background. Almost wrecked it 3 times in the first month. They don't handle like most cars. They are more unsafe at lower speeds than high speeds. 70-145 mph is excellent 0-70 . You CANNOT lift the throttle in turns. Weight transfers forward and the rear end loses traction causing oversteer. Over steer is EXTREMELY difficult to correct in C4's.
The other big con for C4 Vette's is that they do not enjoy chevrolet's number one benefit=high parts commonality. The 84-87 vettes with the crossfire and tuned port engines with automatic transmissions were common, but everything else is corvette only. Accessory drive, ECM's, the wristwatch gauge cluster,etc were only 5 year runs. The manual transmissions were terrible in the 84-87 cars. The 6 speed in the 88-96 cars was much stronger but it was still a one off not used in any other car. Gauges were better then too. The LT1 engine in the 88+ cars were more powerful but suffer from a poorly designed distributor placed under the water pump for god knows what reason. It used an optical wheel that is very sensitive to water intrusion. The perfect kinda thing to put under a water pump.

Can't speak much to the mustang. 4.6L ford v8s are plentiful and cheap. The 4 speed automatic was used in mustangs and trucks I'm pretty sure. The Mustang has a solid rear axle which is much easier to drive for a novice. Thats the main reason all these guys are wrecking these new mustangs with independant rear suspension. Same characteristics as the Vette.

I'm rambling lol.

For a first car I reccomend a 5 spd manual 1.6L Honda Civic. Simple, reliable, cheap, and gets good fuel econ. Handles decent.

Carnac predicts OP will buy a freshly murdered out 305 f-body

Yeah neagrumps you a little off on that auto tranny math. Change your fluids and don't beat em and they last closer to 350k. Automatic transmissions can be bought rebuilt for 900-1400 for stock units, and 1200-2500 for decent aftermarket ones.

>Breaking a part, that normally lasts the life of the engine, every 100k is good
I bet you're great then.
Great at riding your clutch, that is.